Help: Pet stuck in Sokoban

Greetings Nethackers,

I rolled a boulder into a pit in Sokoban. I thought my little dog was
a pace behind but no. Now he is stuck "between" the the narrow
corridor, the pit and the boulder, which I cannot push. I cannot pick
at the boulder; I hit my pet instead. I tried to pull him out with a
leash, but he just growled. Is there any way I can save him? Or must
he die?

Thanks in advance.

ReNoobing (Net)Hack wrote:
> Greetings Nethackers,
>
> I rolled a boulder into a pit in Sokoban. I thought my little dog
was
> a pace behind but no. Now he is stuck "between" the the narrow
> corridor, the pit and the boulder, which I cannot push. I cannot
pick
> at the boulder; I hit my pet instead. I tried to pull him out with

Um, what do you mean you cannot pick at the boulder and you hit your
pet instead? If he is in between a boulder and a pit, you should be
able to pick at the boulder (and breaking the boulder eventually)
without hitting him. BTW, you should probably know that breaking a
boulder in sokoban carries a penalty.

> leash, but he just growled. Is there any way I can save him? Or
must
> he die?

There are a few ways to go about this. Do you want to take the penalty
and go on with sokoban right now with your dog, or do you want to
postpone sokoban, leave the dog behind for now, explore the rest of the
dungeon to find the necessary equipment, and come back and rescue him
later?

-K

> Jove wrote:

>> This appears to be a very rare event, even for Sokoban.
>> #chat with your pet, if "S/He wants nothing to do with you"
>> then
<snip>

Ooops, sorry for not putting your quote first in my reply.

> I rolled a boulder into a pit in Sokoban. I thought my little dog was
> a pace behind but no. Now he is stuck "between" the the narrow
> corridor, the pit and the boulder, which I cannot push. I cannot pick
> at the boulder; I hit my pet instead. I tried to pull him out with a
> leash, but he just growled. Is there any way I can save him? Or must
> he die?

Have you tried #untrap'ing him?

Greetings,
Benjamin

Kremti <kremti@gmail.com> wrote:
> ReNoobing (Net)Hack wrote:
>
>> leash, but he just growled. Is there any way I can save him? Or
>> must he die?
>
> There are a few ways to go about this. Do you want to take the penalty
> and go on with sokoban right now with your dog, or do you want to
> postpone sokoban, leave the dog behind for now, explore the rest of the
> dungeon to find the necessary equipment, and come back and rescue him
> later?

skin down, slip past the boulder, displace your pet. He should fall
down the hole relatively harmlessly, if I understand how things work.

Yes, there's also a penalty for displacing your pet into a trap (and
there may also be one for slipping past boulders in Sokoban) but I think
this should do it.

Keith

Mac

ReNoobing (Net)Hack wrote:
> Thanks, that's what happened. I went elsewhere for awhile. When I
> returned, pet was free -- but while I was celebrating my good luck,
> three uglies piled up on me and I died. Oh well.

My condolences. I once had a pet get between a boulder and a hole in an
otherwise-inaccessible long narrow corridor in Soko. I had two choices:
squeeze past the boulder and kill the pet (there was nowhere else for
him to go, and no way to back the boulder out safely, I don't think),
or leave him there and continue the main dungeons, praying for a magic
whistle. I decided on the latter, but as soon as I left Soko I hit an
Uruk-hai raiding party and an stack of Deep Ones (playing Slash'EM) at
the same time. As soon as my Wizard ran out of Pw, he was toast.

ReNoobing (Net)Hack wrote:
> Thanks, that's what happened. I went elsewhere for awhile. When I
> returned, pet was free -- but while I was celebrating my good luck,
> three uglies piled up on me and I died. Oh well.

<snip>

Sorry to hear your demise. Never seen the pet/pit/boulder interaction
before though. I always thought (or assumed) monster/pet in the pit go
*squish*. Learns something new everyday :D

-K

On 4 May 2005 06:40:15 -0700, "Kremti" <kremti@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sorry to hear your demise. Never seen the pet/pit/boulder interaction
>before though. I always thought (or assumed) monster/pet in the pit go
>*squish*. Learns something new everyday :D

Pets in Sokoban have a strong tendency to step into an adjacent
pit/hole. This seems to be for when you get a pet stuck between a
boulder & a pit/hole.

On the upper (2,3,...) levels of Sokoban the pet drops through the
hole. I guess the pet never escapes the hole since that would defeat
the purpose of them stepping there in the first place.

This behavior, being able to push a boulder onto a space with a
monster in a pit, without filling the pit or killing the monster,
was probably added for Sokoban first level. Especially since
if there's a tripe ration on/in a pit farther along pets will
generally kill themselves trying to get to it.

It likely *only* works on Sokoban first level.

Has anyone ever tried pushing a boulder onto a monster in a pit
other than Sokoban? What happened?

Jove

> Pets in Sokoban have a strong tendency to step into an adjacent
> pit/hole. This seems to be for when you get a pet stuck between a
> boulder & a pit/hole.

I never bring my pets into Sokoban, too much of a hassle. I will go
down to the main dungeon where I left them after solving each level
(which I believe makes them less likely to go feral).

In article <1115406636.315805.166500@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
sjdevnull@yahoo.com wrote:

> I never bring my pets into Sokoban, too much of a hassle. I will go
> down to the main dungeon where I left them after solving each level
> (which I believe makes them less likely to go feral).

I bring my pets in Soko after solving the boulders on the first level.
And for the other levels I do the same; solve the bolders, then bring in
the pets to help.

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",