Zalman MZ240ED 24" LED monitor, Any good?

juice36m

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
This monitor is on sale for $119.99 on the egg, the deal sounds good and I'm tempted to purchase it, but there isn't a lot of information on it in terms of reviews or user feedback. After exhausting most of my funds on my first pc build, I'm now on a tight budget and the deadline to have all my shopping done is Christmas. Would this monitor be a good choice for a gaming pc? Link to the product page is below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824118006

PC build specs:

Case/chassis: Cooler Master HAF 922 (updated)

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO

RAM: G Skill Ripjaws X 8 gb 1600

boot drive: Samsung 830 series 128 gb SSD

storage drive: Western Digital caviar black SATA III 7200 rpm 1 tb HDD

GPU: MSI GTX 670 OC power edition

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850w

Optical Drive: Lightscribe 24x dvd drive

Still haven't decided between the Noctua NH-D14 and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I plan to do a moderate OC (4.5 ghz) in the future.

juice36m

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Alright I'll stay posted then, thanks.

rmccoy

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I have 4 of these monitors now (5th one soon as a christmas present) and have had no issues with quality, not the brightest but work perfect and look great. The only problem with them is the stand. It tilts up and down but the way the base attaches is not the best. They are sturdy enough but if you place them side by side they don't tend to sit perfectly straight. If you cut a piece of electrical tape 1.5 inches x 1/2 inch and stick it to the back side of the stem before sticking it in the stand it fills enough space to make the monitor sit straight. They do have vesa mounts on the back but I have not found a way to remove the stem from the monitor yet. I sent an email to Zalman about this since I had plans on purchasing or building my own desk mount for these. Hopefully I should hear something back soon or I will be opening one of them to figure it out.

Randini

rmccoy

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
So Zalman responded with this.

You will have to remove the bottom screws on the rear side, gently lift the
case frame and remove the two screws that is securing the stem. Please
follow this advice with extreme caution as following this instruction voids
the warranty and must be performed at your discretion.

Thank you.

Zalman USA
RMA and Tech Support

So to use the VESA mounts on this monitor without them looking completely stupid I must void the warranty. I will have to think on this for a bit. Only paid $119 for them and at that price I haven't seen anything on newegg or elsewhere for same size with good reviews yet. I'm thinking I'll just use them as is for a while. If I have no issues I'll go ahead and open them up.

itsthexypat

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
I'd be curious to hear more on this monitor and the issues with the mounting.

I'm seriously about ready to blow my brains out, it never used to be this hard buying a PC monitor.

I was leaning towards an asus vh242h but after diving deeper into the reviews on it way too many people (several hundred) have been having problems.

I'm at my wits end here. As far as LCD I've only ever had and used Acer but they've been terrible lately too with other products so I'm looking to try other brands for a monitor.

alansilverman

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
I got this from Newegg for $108 with Visa promotion. It seems decent. But I'm an IT consultant and buy monitors for my customers, who aren't gamers. What I'd like to ask is whether other people think that the cost of monitors is crazy low and do you think they'll stay this cheap? Since when have 24" monitors cost $108? Or AOC 22" monitors for around $80, which I also got recently? Of course I look for deals and catch them at the lowest possible price, but...

itsthexypat

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
Supposedly they only operate on a few percentage points of profit. Like most things anymore, it's a mature and over-saturated market. I think the prices are about as low as they're going to get, but there is still some room for price reduction, e.g., unless the manufacturers keep making them cheaper or find things to cut out of them. There's still a lot of middlemen and distributors that could be cut out to drive the prices down even more.

Let's be honest, the industry enjoyed high prices in the beginning and like all technology the prices went down but the number of units sold went up. They still enjoy ridiculous price premiums for monitors above a certain size, and for replacement parts. And IPS monitors, they're still very expensive. How is it the price can double just for a few extra inches in size or for a different technology?