Why do some kills leave corpses and some don't?

Why do some kills leave corpses and some don't? Is there a pattern/rule
I didn't notice? Thanks.

BandC <onefunus@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Why do some kills leave corpses and some don't? Is there a
> pattern/rule
> I didn't notice? Thanks.

Yes. It seems very sporadic but there are set rules for it.

A little more spoiler-y:

It depends on various things including monster size and weight, and a
"roll of the dice." Sometimes where you are in the dungeon makes a
difference. Some creatures never leave corpses. Sometimes the RNG hates
you and nothing leaves a corpse when you get hungry...

I'll leave the gritty details to someone else... if you're interested.
Depends on how "spoiled" you want to get.

BandC wrote:
> Why do some kills leave corpses and some don't? Is there a
> pattern/rule I didn't notice? Thanks.

Yes, sure there is. There are some creatures that never leave corpses;
spheres and spores, clouds and vortices, lights, angelic beings, etc.
(too many to list them all). Some creatures, like were-creatures and
vampires, don't leave their were-corpse but the corpse of their former
existance. Very large creatures (dragons, giants, etc.) seem to always
leave corpses. Liches for example don't leave corpses. And the medium
and small sized creatures seem to leave corpses depending on the Random
Nethack God. (The probability maybe depending on their size? Not sure.)
On some special levels ("rogue") no corpses are generated, and on other
levels, ones containing graveyards, some probabilities are adjusted.
This list is just as it came to my mind and surely not complete, but I
guess you got some impression about the corpse generation pattern.

Janis

I see. Thanks for the answers. It seemed pretty random to me so I
thought I'd ask.

BandC wrote:
> I see. Thanks for the answers. It seemed pretty random to me so I
> thought I'd ask.

Well, a lot of it has to do with monster's sizes. In the early part of
the game, you rarely see large monsters and most small and medium sized
creatures leave corpses at some probability with randomized chance.
That might be why you got impression that they are random. In fact,
you can argue that they are partly random, since they do randomize the
drop rate of corpses of small to medium sized creatures.

They aren't entirely random though, as explained above. But you'll
notice those patterns more in the mid to late game when you start
seeing more large creatures who always leave a corpse.

-K

Kremti babbled on for HOURS on 04 May 2005:

> BandC wrote:
>> I see. Thanks for the answers. It seemed pretty random to me so I
>> thought I'd ask.
>
> Well, a lot of it has to do with monster's sizes. In the early part of
> the game, you rarely see large monsters and most small and medium sized
> creatures leave corpses at some probability with randomized chance.
> That might be why you got impression that they are random. In fact,
> you can argue that they are partly random, since they do randomize the
> drop rate of corpses of small to medium sized creatures.
>
> They aren't entirely random though, as explained above. But you'll
> notice those patterns more in the mid to late game when you start
> seeing more large creatures who always leave a corpse.
>
> -K

I like to think of it this way:

Most of the little buggers and some of the medium sized twerps, when you
hit them, they exPLODE from the awesome force of your weapon. That's why
you don't always get corpses that are fit to eat. If you don't see a
corpse, it's not like there is NOTHING left, just not enough for a decent
meal (not that I would ever call a rabid rabbit corpse a "decent" meal).

As far as the BIG critters, well you just can't hit a full grown dragon
hard enough to leave nothing but itty bits...one time you get to eat the
heart and upper body, another time...maybe a bit of rump roast. But there
will always be *something* left of it. Fricasee of Black Dragon tail,
anyone?

Phlimm wrote:
> Most of the little buggers and some of the medium sized twerps, when you
> hit them, they exPLODE from the awesome force of your weapon.

Oddly enough, this actually happens in Baldur's Gate.