Mac

The following is taken from the quest spoiler, with the location of the
upstairs in my
current game marked (over on the left):

-----
-------.......................................|-----------------|
|...|
-----.....|.......................................|.................|
|...----...|.....|.......................................|....---------....|
|.---......---..--.................................------------.......|....|
|...............|..................................|..|...|...----........-|
|.....-----....--.................................|-..--..-|.....---------|
|------...|....|.................................|-........-|....|........|
|.........---------..................^..........|-....}}....-|...|...|....|
|....|.....|......|............................|-.....}}.....-|..--.------|
|-----..<..--.....|...........................|-...}}}}}}}}...-|....|.....--
|...........--....------------........@......|-....}}}}}}}}....-|..........|
|............--........|...|.|..............--.....}}.}}........------------
|.............|........|...|.|..............|......}}}}}}}}......|...|.....|
|--.---.---.---.---.---|...|.------------...--........}}.}}.....--..---....|
|.---.---.---.---.---..-----.|....|.....|....|-....}}}}}}}}....---..|.|--..|
|...|.......|..........|...---....---...S.....|-...}}}}}}}}...-|.|..|...|..|
|...|..|....|..........|............|..--..----|-.....}}.....-|..----...----
|...|---....----.......|----- ......|...---|
|-....}}....-|...|..-----..|
-----.....---.....--.---....--...--------..|
|-........-|....|.........|
|.............|..........|.............S...
|S-------|.....|..-----..|
---------------------------------------- ...... ----------
----

Notice the location of the upstairs. How on earth do I get over to the
Master Assassin
without (controlled) polymorph (which I don't have)? Is there a way?
I'm playing a male vampire rogue in
Slash'EM. Wielding +7 Doomblade with a stack of blessed +1 daggers
quivered, if that
matters.

PS: I have no idea if the map will fit, but...here's hoping it does.

"Mac" <abroughear@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The following is taken from the quest spoiler, with the location of the
> upstairs in my
> current game marked (over on the left):
<snip the mangled map>
> Notice the location of the upstairs. How on earth do I get over to the
> Master Assassin
> without (controlled) polymorph (which I don't have)? Is there a way?
> I'm playing a male vampire rogue in
> Slash'EM. Wielding +7 Doomblade with a stack of blessed +1 daggers
> quivered, if that
> matters.
>
> PS: I have no idea if the map will fit, but...here's hoping it does.

Well, the map got totally frelled by my newsreader, but here goes.

Without poly, one needs a source of levelport (preferrably controlled) and
has to rely on luck digging down from the level above to end up in the room
with the MA. Once there, hit him till he runs for the stairs, l'port back
up and then meet him at the upstair.

This will work in vanilla, seeing that this is slash your mileage may vary.
Danny

You don't think the lower levels are full of chameleons by accident do
you?

This is a little bit spoily

As an interesting anecdote, once when I attempted this quest as a 20
lvl rogue I arrived on the lower level and I decided to poly into a
Xorn. Took of my GSDM to avoid ripping out of it and took of my ring of
protection from shape changers so I could wear my rings of poly and
poly control. It was at that precise moment the chameleon, pretending
to be an arch lich, appeared next to me.

"Oh no he's using his touch of death!"

DYWYPI?

No, thank you, I just want to cry.

Mac

Lichen Fodder wrote:
> As an interesting anecdote, once when I attempted this quest as a 20
> lvl rogue I arrived on the lower level and I decided to poly into a
> Xorn. Took of my GSDM to avoid ripping out of it and took of my ring
of
> protection from shape changers so I could wear my rings of poly and
> poly control. It was at that precise moment the chameleon, pretending
> to be an arch lich, appeared next to me.
>
> "Oh no he's using his touch of death!"
>
> DYWYPI?
>
> No, thank you, I just want to cry.

Oh, gosh, that must have been aggravating.

Hmm...I have a TP scroll...no forgotten spells to confuse myself. No
unholy water, or I could probably curse a unihorn...? Hmm...are there
any other ways to confuse yourself? No c!oGL either, yet. Drat. Now I'm
more worried about getting OUT than IN...heh.

Potion of confusion or find an umber hulk. Potions of booze can confuse
sometimes, I am unsure but it might need to be cursed, as it doesn't
always work.

Mac wrote:
<snip>
> Notice the location of the upstairs. How on earth do I get over to
the
> Master Assassin
> without (controlled) polymorph (which I don't have)? Is there a way?

There are a number of ways I can think of to approach this too.
Obviously, most common way is to drop from the upstairs, and find a way
to get outta there. In fact, IIRC, they actually provide you with a
cursed teleport scroll on the level above.

Or, you can just try to wake him up. He'll pick up the items, and
teleport *to* you. You can just sit on top of the stairway and wait
for him to show up. You can probably use any loud instruments to wake
him up, maybe? Try bugles, drums, horns, etcs and see if you can just
ask him to come to the stairs.

-K

Mac

Dropping from above won't work.
I'm a Vampire.
Vampries fly.
Flying creatures don't fall through holes.
Bother.

> Or, you can just try to wake him up. He'll pick up the items, and
> teleport *to* you. You can just sit on top of the stairway and wait
> for him to show up. You can probably use any loud instruments to
wake
> him up, maybe? Try bugles, drums, horns, etcs and see if you can
just
> ask him to come to the stairs.
>
> -K

Have to give this a shot. Thanks.

Mac wrote:
> Dropping from above won't work.
> I'm a Vampire.
> Vampries fly.
> Flying creatures don't fall through holes.
> Bother.
<snip>

You can't go ">" down at the holes? How do Vampires go down from the
Castle to Valley of the Dead?

-K

Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
> Kremti wrote:
> > Mac wrote:
> >> I'm a Vampire.
> >> Vampries fly.
> >>Flying creatures don't fall through holes.
> >>Bother.
> >
> > You can't go ">" down at the holes?
>
> Yes, you can. Kremti aparently just forgot (or never knew) this.

You mean Mac did? :D

I am assuming if you go down as a flyer/levitater, you will end up in
random location in the level below just like falling through. I am not
100% sure on that point (which is different in Castle/VoD transition).

-K

> How to reach the Master Assassin?

In vanilla, I used a digging tool and luck to reach him, a /oD to kill him and a
c!oGL to escape the confinement.

HTH,
Benjamin

Mac

Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
> Kremti wrote:
> > Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
> >> Kremti aparently just forgot (or never knew) this.
> >
> > You mean Mac did? :D
>
> Yes, I do. Sorry, for the mix-up ;-)

Yes, I did. Sorry for the mix-up ;-)

And thanks all of you for the help. I have the Key and Bell, between a
!oC, ?oTP, and that handy-dandy little > command.

Kremti wrote:
> Mac wrote:
>> I'm a Vampire.
>> Vampries fly.
>>Flying creatures don't fall through holes.
>>Bother.
>
> You can't go ">" down at the holes?

Yes, you can. Kremti aparently just forgot (or never knew) this.

> How do Vampires go down from the
> Castle to Valley of the Dead?

Exactly that way.

--
If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

Kremti wrote:
> Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
>> Kremti aparently just forgot (or never knew) this.
>
> You mean Mac did? :D

Yes, I do. Sorry, for the mix-up ;-)