Duron with 250 watt case

G

Short question: Is it okay to run a Duron 750mhz using a 230-250watt power supply?? What if I want to overclock??
Thanks.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I'd say at least use a 250W. A 300W would be in order if you plan to overclock or you have more than the usual complement of devices. (I think of the "usual complement" of devices as sound, video, modem, CD-ROM, 7200RPM hard drive, CPU, motherboard, and memory).

If you feel like getting the power supply to beat all power supplies, I've seen standard ATX power supplies up to 435W. Only way I know to go above that is to get a non-standard form factor power subsystem (which usually means a special case too).

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

G

yea 250 w is fine

im using a 250
works great

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The best thing you can do for yourself is make sure that supply is of good quality.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

i had a 230w case on my celery system, but when i put Tbird 1000 in the old PSU was struggeling (you could hear the on board fans slowing under cpu load)

along the course of investigating these strange noises, i found out about the way PSUs are rated. Don't just get any old PSU with 300 written on it, more to do with the combined rating of 3.3V + 5V to the mobo (for CPU, for lots of drives,etc go real big).

e.g. my old PSU was 230W total with 130W on 3.3&5
my new PSU is only 250W total but with a whopping 180W on 3.3&5V rails

<A HREF="http://www1.amd.com/duron/power" target="_new"> here </A> is a link to AMDs page on duron PSUs
its not the ONLY PSUs you can use, but it gives you an idea as to whats needed.

hope that helps....

however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you want to overclock ... go to at least 300-watts, and get a good power supply. I'd recommend Enermax, Sparkle, and Leadman. In my opinion, these are the top three, and do especially well with an AMD/Duron system.

I've got the 550-watt Enermax in my machine. Overkill, maybe ... but I've got tons of clean power, and the dual ball-bearing fans really help keep the system cool. This power supply has a 92mm intake fan, right over the processor, and an 80mm exhaust. It also has a braided 20 pin connector, eleven 4 pin connectors, a 4 pin aux, a 6 pin aux, and a floppy connector. With gold fan grills. The Cadillac of PSU's! It costs a little more, but I doubt that I will ever have any power issues on my machine, regardless of what components I install, or if I feel like overclocking. And that's what it's all about.

It's better to have more than enough power, than too little. You won't believe how many software problems I've seen that were blamed on Windows, when it was actually a piss-poor PSU. (As if Windows doesn't have enough problems, all by itself!)

I have yet to figure out why people boast about using tiny power supplies. I guess there are some leaps-of-logic I'll never be able to follow. Maybe I should start smoking dope, and it will make more sense. ;-)

The general rule of thumb: The total power requirements for your system at full load should not exceed 70% of the rated power supply. Keep that in mind, and you'll be alright.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>If there was a reason for everything, having faith would be redundant.</font color=purple>