D&D in Sync Magazine

Sync magazine named Gary Gygax first of it's top fifty nerds in the
December/January issue.

http://www.syncmag.com/article2/0,,1763275,00.asp
11 answers Last reply
More about sync magazine

    JF wrote:
    > Sync magazine named Gary Gygax first of it's top fifty nerds in the
    > December/January issue.
    >
    > http://www.syncmag.com/article2/0,,1763275,00.asp

    At least they got something right. They have many sports professionals
    in the list and a couple rock stars. Those are almost automatically
    excluded from nerddom. They didn't even have Will Wheaton. That's 3
    strikes, so I don't they know what they are talking about.

    - Justisaur

    justisaur@gmail.com wrote:
    > JF wrote:
    >
    >>Sync magazine named Gary Gygax first of it's top fifty nerds in the
    >>December/January issue.
    >>
    >>http://www.syncmag.com/article2/0,,1763275,00.asp
    >

    > At least they got something right. They have many sports professionals
    > in the list and a couple rock stars. Those are almost automatically
    > excluded from nerddom. They didn't even have Will Wheaton. That's 3
    > strikes, so I don't they know what they are talking about.

    Gary invented the 20 sider????
    Or was that satire?

    And Natalie Portman but no Rebecca Romjin?
    I'm shocked!
    No Sandra Bullock but Tina Fey?
    I'm really shocked.
    (Look Natalie and Tina deserve the honor, but we could have lost
    the sport-geeks to get some more nerdy hot chicks on there!)

    justisaur@gmail.com wrote in

    > JF wrote:
    >> Sync magazine named Gary Gygax first of it's top fifty nerds in the
    >> December/January issue.
    >>
    >> http://www.syncmag.com/article2/0,,1763275,00.asp
    >
    > At least they got something right. They have many sports professionals
    > in the list and a couple rock stars. Those are almost automatically
    > excluded from nerddom. They didn't even have Will Wheaton. That's 3
    > strikes, so I don't they know what they are talking about.

    Especially since they think Gygax created D&D.

    --
    Terry Austin
    www.hyperbooks.com

    OGW wrote:
    > Gygax did invent D&D and most of what is considered RPG in todays
    > world. Just like many others, his accomplishments won't be truly
    > noted until he is dead. Get your facts straight!

    He had help.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    justisaur@gmail.com wrote:
    > At least they got something right. They have many sports professionals
    > in the list and a couple rock stars. Those are almost automatically
    > excluded from nerddom. They didn't even have Will Wheaton. That's 3
    > strikes, so I don't they know what they are talking about.

    Oka, once I read your post, I went and checked out the list. I got a
    destinct impression that the list wasn't so much that the people on the
    list were justifiabliy Nerdy, but more it was a list of "People we think
    are stupid or did things we think are stupid so we're calling them
    nerds." For instance, I got the impression from The Woz's entry that he
    made the list not because of he was a co-founder of Apple, or his phone
    phreak background, but more because of the mistake that makes up his
    whole entry. Will Smith made the list for dropping out of MIT to become
    a rapper. The entire list of those who made it into John Kovalic's
    "League of Extrodenary Gentlegamers" aren't o nthe list, and Bill Gates
    does not make it into the top 50.

    I so hope Sync Magazine gets enough hate mail from this that they end up
    retracting the article. Why? Because that would make me laugh very,
    very hard.

    OGW wrote:

    > Gygax did invent D&D and most of what is considered RPG in todays
    > world. Just like many others, his accomplishments won't be truly
    > noted until he is dead. Get your facts straight!

    Al Gore invented the Internet.

    Everyone has help. That is not a valid argument. Tolkien had plenty
    of help and borrowed from a variety of sources. Newton had any number
    of colleagues to help him with his light and gravity theories. Even
    Jesus had 12 apostles to help him through his ordeals.

    Nobody does anything alone. You always have help from others.

    Therefore Gygax did invent D&D and the basis of RPGs as we know them
    today.

    OGW wrote:
    > Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > OGW wrote:
    > >
    > > > Gygax did invent D&D and most of what is considered RPG in todays
    > > > world. Just like many others, his accomplishments won't be truly
    > > > noted until he is dead. Get your facts straight!
    > >
    > > Al Gore invented the Internet.
    >
    > Everyone has help. That is not a valid argument.

    Assuming you were responding to me, I wasn't really arguing. You
    challenged the newsgroup to get our facts straight, so I posted a URL
    pointing to some facts.
    If you find the validity of Wikipedia's information to be questionable,
    then please enlighten me as to the truth.

    Anyway, I have no cause to belittle Gygax's accomplishments nor his
    role in the genesis of this hobby. However, I do think that other names
    deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as his, and that was my
    motivation for posting the link.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    Watson invented DNA.

    tleriche2004@yahoo.com (OGW) writes:

    >Everyone has help. That is not a valid argument. Tolkien had plenty
    >of help and borrowed from a variety of sources. Newton had any number
    >of colleagues to help him with his light and gravity theories. Even
    >Jesus had 12 apostles to help him through his ordeals.

    >Nobody does anything alone. You always have help from others.

    >Therefore Gygax did invent D&D and the basis of RPGs as we know them
    >today.

    Maybe Dave Arneson wrote D&D, with help from Xagyg The Great, then.

    Besides, Gary Gygax wrote "Gord The Rogue", which should sort of
    cancel out any credit he got for D&D.

    --
    Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
    Icy colon barge Cancer Biology

Games Video Games