D&D in Sync Magazine

JF wrote:
> Sync magazine named Gary Gygax first of it's top fifty nerds in the
> December/January issue.
>
> http://www.syncmag.com/article2/0,,1763275,00.asp

At least they got something right. They have many sports professionals
in the list and a couple rock stars. Those are almost automatically
excluded from nerddom. They didn't even have Will Wheaton. That's 3
strikes, so I don't they know what they are talking about.

- Justisaur

justisaur@gmail.com wrote:
> JF wrote:
>
>>Sync magazine named Gary Gygax first of it's top fifty nerds in the
>>December/January issue.
>>
>>http://www.syncmag.com/article2/0,,1763275,00.asp
>

> At least they got something right. They have many sports professionals
> in the list and a couple rock stars. Those are almost automatically
> excluded from nerddom. They didn't even have Will Wheaton. That's 3
> strikes, so I don't they know what they are talking about.

Gary invented the 20 sider????
Or was that satire?

And Natalie Portman but no Rebecca Romjin?
I'm shocked!
No Sandra Bullock but Tina Fey?
I'm really shocked.
(Look Natalie and Tina deserve the honor, but we could have lost
the sport-geeks to get some more nerdy hot chicks on there!)

justisaur@gmail.com wrote in

> JF wrote:
>> Sync magazine named Gary Gygax first of it's top fifty nerds in the
>> December/January issue.
>>
>> http://www.syncmag.com/article2/0,,1763275,00.asp
>
> At least they got something right. They have many sports professionals
> in the list and a couple rock stars. Those are almost automatically
> excluded from nerddom. They didn't even have Will Wheaton. That's 3
> strikes, so I don't they know what they are talking about.

Especially since they think Gygax created D&D.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com

OGW wrote:
> Gygax did invent D&D and most of what is considered RPG in todays
> world. Just like many others, his accomplishments won't be truly
> noted until he is dead. Get your facts straight!

He had help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

justisaur@gmail.com wrote:
> At least they got something right. They have many sports professionals
> in the list and a couple rock stars. Those are almost automatically
> excluded from nerddom. They didn't even have Will Wheaton. That's 3
> strikes, so I don't they know what they are talking about.

Oka, once I read your post, I went and checked out the list. I got a
destinct impression that the list wasn't so much that the people on the
list were justifiabliy Nerdy, but more it was a list of "People we think
are stupid or did things we think are stupid so we're calling them
nerds." For instance, I got the impression from The Woz's entry that he
made the list not because of he was a co-founder of Apple, or his phone
phreak background, but more because of the mistake that makes up his
whole entry. Will Smith made the list for dropping out of MIT to become
a rapper. The entire list of those who made it into John Kovalic's
"League of Extrodenary Gentlegamers" aren't o nthe list, and Bill Gates
does not make it into the top 50.

I so hope Sync Magazine gets enough hate mail from this that they end up
retracting the article. Why? Because that would make me laugh very,
very hard.

OGW wrote:

> Gygax did invent D&D and most of what is considered RPG in todays
> world. Just like many others, his accomplishments won't be truly
> noted until he is dead. Get your facts straight!

Al Gore invented the Internet.

Everyone has help. That is not a valid argument. Tolkien had plenty
of help and borrowed from a variety of sources. Newton had any number
of colleagues to help him with his light and gravity theories. Even
Jesus had 12 apostles to help him through his ordeals.

Nobody does anything alone. You always have help from others.

Therefore Gygax did invent D&D and the basis of RPGs as we know them
today.

OGW wrote:
> Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
> > OGW wrote:
> >
> > > Gygax did invent D&D and most of what is considered RPG in todays
> > > world. Just like many others, his accomplishments won't be truly
> > > noted until he is dead. Get your facts straight!
> >
> > Al Gore invented the Internet.
>
> Everyone has help. That is not a valid argument.

Assuming you were responding to me, I wasn't really arguing. You
challenged the newsgroup to get our facts straight, so I posted a URL
pointing to some facts.
If you find the validity of Wikipedia's information to be questionable,
then please enlighten me as to the truth.

Anyway, I have no cause to belittle Gygax's accomplishments nor his
role in the genesis of this hobby. However, I do think that other names
deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as his, and that was my
motivation for posting the link.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Watson invented DNA.

tleriche2004@yahoo.com (OGW) writes:

>Everyone has help. That is not a valid argument. Tolkien had plenty
>of help and borrowed from a variety of sources. Newton had any number
>of colleagues to help him with his light and gravity theories. Even
>Jesus had 12 apostles to help him through his ordeals.

>Nobody does anything alone. You always have help from others.

>Therefore Gygax did invent D&D and the basis of RPGs as we know them
>today.

Maybe Dave Arneson wrote D&D, with help from Xagyg The Great, then.

Besides, Gary Gygax wrote "Gord The Rogue", which should sort of
cancel out any credit he got for D&D.

--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology