(Crazy) nonconventional water cooling idea

G

I was thinking about how to make my own water block this thought occured to me: Why use a water block at all? If I glue a chipset heat sink onto the CPU and construct a box over it, then I can run water directly over the chip. The resistors can be coated with silicone and unless the CPU chip can rust, there shouldn't be any problems - right?

(I posted this because I'm wondering why I haven't heard of anyone doing this before - please tell me if you think of something that could go wrong ;)

-jtm

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think this will fail because of surface area.

The reason waterblocks are used it to increase the contact area of water to hot surface.

A copper or aluminium waterblock will dissipate heat rapidly over the base of the block, which in turn is cooled by the water.

Water itself would not have enough contact area with the cpu die I feel to cool effectively...

Good idea though.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
why use water with the risk of bzzzzaaaapppp!?
go for a non flammable non conductive non corrosive liquid.
im sure there are some around.
i think one is kinda cfc based, but a liquid

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes. There is a liquid that you can submerge your entire mobo in. It’s nonconductive and not corrosive. I can’t remember the name but I do remember it’s hella expensive. But think about, Not only could your CPU be supper cooled but every chip on your mobo too. I think is was at overclockers.com but the dam website is down right now.

Thx & cya

<font color=green>I may go to <font color=red>hell</font color=red> but at least I won't get lonely</font color=green>

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
go to the store but a sega dreamcast 99$ i think now. Take it apart and remove the water cooler they have installed and put it on your cpu. Cheaper and already set up. Power might be a little complicated but nothing that can't be overcome.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are a lot of liquids you can submerge a computer in. Just make sure it's non-conductive. Mineral oil will work, so will distilled water probably (water only conducts electrictiy because of impurities and ions in it, but distilled, pure water is completely non-conductive), and I bet there are plenty of other liquids that are non-conductive as well. You can also use sealers to seal the motherboard. Spray, or brush, on polyurethane or silicone sealents can go over the whole motherboard or parts that are in risk of getting wet to ensure there will be no damage caused by leakage.

This is a water cooling method I've seen done. You have the chip, then on the chip you have a peltier cooler. On that Peltier cooler, you have another peltier cooler to cool down the hot side of the peltier that is in contact with the chip. On the hot side of the second peltier, you have a heat sink attached to it. Around the peltier and heat sink you build up a sealed water reservoir, and you use the same types of cooling methods as a standard water cooler to cool down the peltier (pump that cycles water into a radiator, cools it, then back into the cooling reservoir).

Now, I'm sure there are other liquids that will also do a better job of cooling that water, like the coolants you put in your car radiator. Or are those only too lower the freezing temperature and raise the boiling temperature? Not sure... But I'm sure water isn't the absolute best, although it is probably good enough and safe enough.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
antifreeze + water works best, but antifreeze alone doesn't absorb heat as well as water alone.
I think optimum mix is something like 35% antifreeze 65% water.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I attempted the mineral oil trick with a P2B-F a few years ago. The machine worked great before I submerged it and it worked after I removed it from oil. Did not want work while submerged.

The motherboard is disgusting (even after hours of cleaning) and should have been vertical filed long ago. I do not recomend this route.

ucfchuck

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
its called flourinert you can sink your whole case in it as is, though you may want a radiator or something to cool the liquid at some point. plus its also hella bad for the environment as far as heat capacitance and global warming go, though heat capacitance is what you want, and then again someone cranking out >1kw from a pc is probably not thinking about the environment too much anyway...

lol just saw this post is like 10 years old.