Compatibility Issue

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I just purchased a "refurbished" Dell Optiplex GX 620. When I turned it on everything worked fine until it rebooted after an automatic Microsoft update was installed. Now I have no sounds. According to the Device Manager "Your sound card is not working properly because a compatible driver is not available for this version of Windows." (I'm running Win7). My sound card is a SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. I have tried several SoundMAX drivers (found online) that said they were compatible but they don't work either. Can someone please help me out?

Never let Windows/Microsoft Update do updates for your hardware. This happens all the time for sound card drivers especially. Always get new drivers from your manufacturer.

1) try doing a driver roll back

2) uninstall the driver (via device manager), and then try installing a driver from Dell's website (620 ought to have win7 drivers available)

-keep in mind that it may not be a SoundMAX audio device (though it might be). I have had a few times where MS simply thinks I have the wrong hardware, loads the wrong driver, and then it obviously does not work because it is the wrong driver, but because the driver is loaded Windows claims that the hardware is the right one. So your best course of action is to remove what you have, enter your service code on Dells website, and find the win7 audio drivers for your specific box.