Duron or not duron?

G

Has anyone had first hand experience with an AMD Duron 900Mhz?

The Mentat Bashar

G

Does a D600@933 count ? Or do you want to know about overclocking capability ? In the latter case, just check www.overclockers.com CPU database.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you are trying to decide between a Duron and a Thunderbird here are a couple of good head to head comparisons.

<A HREF="http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2000q4/athlon-vs-duron/" target="_new">The first one, at www.tech-report.com</A>.
<A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com/dtb2_1.php" target="_new">The second, at www.athlonoc.com</A>.

You may have to ignore the pricing information. Concentrate on the performance issues.

G

My interest in a 900 Mhz Duron has more to do with efficiency, stability and bang-for-the-buck. I'm not a hair-on-fire absolute performance fanatic. I like to stay witnin the 80% percentile and spend some of my time actually using my PC for something. I will be happy if Serious Sam runs smoothly. I also need to satisfy Windows 2000 Advanced Server's appetite for hardware so I will spend $$ on RAM. I will also bid a fond farewell to my trusty old AT tower with 5 external and 6 internal bays. I will also be running the public beta of Windows XP whenever Microsoft gets around to letting me download it.

The Mentat Bashar

G

"My interest in a 900 Mhz Duron has more to do with efficiency, stability and bang-for-the-buck. "

You will be hard pressed finding any other cpu offering that much "bang-for-the-buck" as any Duron. As for stability, not the cpu, but the motherboard would be a concern then. The cpu itself is as stable as anything (never heard of unstable cpu's anyway), but you probably want a quality motherboard. I presonally like my MSI board very much.. its rock stable.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What about the P Pro FPU problem. That's a stability problem.

Just an example, not trying to make a point.

<font color=blue>Little Miss Muffet was arachnaphobic</font color=blue>

Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Duron 900 is a good bang for the buck I went that way because my wife dosn't think I need the fastest latest thing on the block. ( she always hated my computer) I am using a 900 now and in a few months I roll it down to the kids and build a faster one.

TRENDING THREADS