[S] What should I wish for?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 9, 2005 10:19:03 PM

So, my Vampire Rogue died a YASD...zapped an un-ID'd wand at someone
while standing on the drawbridge. It was locking. DYWYPI?

Since then, I started a (neutral male doppelganger) Wizard. Absolutely,
incredibly awesome fun. Spells are nice...this was my first non-melee
character, unless you count monks. One-Eyed Sam had a /oW (0:2), and I
already had scrolls aplenty and four almost unused markers. I had
already gotten the Wallet of Perseus from Ruggo the Gnome King's
throne, so I got the Gauntlets of Defense, Whisperfeet, robe of power,
helm of brilliance, blessed spellbook of cone of cold, and magic
whistle. Enchanting and fooproofing it all was not difficult. THEN I
portaled back to the Mines (the Eye is dreadfully useful) and an
extended sacfest netted Magicbane, Deluder, Vorpy, and crowning (with
its accompanying +oFoD), in that order.

Portaled back and finished the normal game.

I have the Bell, Candelabrum (7 candles attached), fully enchanted
equipment, -55 AC, 294 HP, 634 Pw, maxed stats, and many, MANY spells.
Expert in Dagger, basic in long sword & quarterstaff, unskilled in all
other weapon skills. Expert in Attack spells, Skilled in all other
schools. 5 blessed healthstones, plenty of rings, etc., etc.

I've found the Vibrating Square and marked it and am in the proccess of
digging out paths through the no-TP levels of Gehennom. After that,
it's up to my base in the Castle one more time, and...Rodney, here I
come!

I still have an untouched Castle wand at (0:1). What should I do with
those five wishes? I can't think of anything I need...I have two pet
purple worms (Burrrrp!)...maybe blessed figurine of an Archon...?

Artifacts:
Thiefbane
Vorpy
Magicbane
Sunsword (Archons with reflection are not fun for Wizards to deal with,
although my Monk took them out like so mmuch free XP)
Gauntlets of Defense
Deluder
Whisperfeet

Any help? From the way things are going, I'll be posting either YASD or
YAFAP within a week. Definitely hoping for YAFAP.

More about : question

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 1:24:50 PM

On Tue, 9 May 2005, Mac wrote:

> I still have an untouched Castle wand at (0:1). What should I do with
> those five wishes? I can't think of anything I need...I have two pet
> purple worms (Burrrrp!)...maybe blessed figurine of an Archon...?

That's not 5, that's 11 (2+1+3+3 (blessed scrolls of charging) + 1+1 (last
charges).

By the way, I think that carrying the Amulet completely forbids you from
teleporting in . Dig out every levels...

Do you have conflict ? Regeneration ? [hu, yes, the Hand of course]
I did not see what provides you reflection. [Nigthhorn has to be wielded
afair, which is not necessarly a good idea]

Amulet of unchanging (+poly into a crystal (or is it diamond) golem) is
always nice.

You seem to have all the artifacts you'll need.

Spellbooks ? (enchant armor/weapon if not already maxed out, charm monster
is always nice on Astral)

material to make (cursed) scrolls of geno (either blessed L, h, V and a
few other nasties (; only when you step on Water) or reverse nurses (a
bunch of HPs is always funny)).

Or pets. I think that Solar are even better than Archon in .

Or save a few wishes for when some of your stuff get
disintegrated/stolen/lost/...

> Any help? From the way things are going, I'll be posting either YASD or
> YAFAP within a week. Definitely hoping for YAFAP.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 2:58:47 PM

Well, congrats, I'm new and I've never gotten past... I dunno, level 7
or something.

I'm not sure if you can wish for artifacts or whatever but if you
can... I dunno, book of the dead?

Of course that's based on a spoiler, not actual experience (Hey, look,
this general store's selling the Amulet of Yendor!) so I really don't
know how all this works.

Well, good luck, and don't wish for wands of wishing!
May 11, 2005 2:20:46 PM

On Tue, 10 May 2005, ihope wrote:

> Well, congrats, I'm new and I've never gotten past... I dunno, level 7
> or something.

Try harder, hopefilly one day you'll manage :-)
(It took me about 5 to 6 months of play to got past Sokoban, I ascended
this character. No ascencion since (played a lot of too) but I manage
to go down to the quest regularly.)

> I'm not sure if you can wish for artifacts or whatever but if you
> can... I dunno, book of the dead?

No. You cannot wish for the invocation artifacts, the Amulet, or your
quest artifact. IRC, you can wish for any other artifact or any object
(but you're not garanteed to get your wish if too many artifacts are
already in play).

> Well, good luck, and don't wish for wands of wishing!

Oh, yes, you cannot wish for wands of wishings. And I don't remember if
you can wish for magic lamps, I don't thing so.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 10:33:22 PM

Spoiler warning since I seem to be yelled at for posting spoilers. Then
again, I get yelled at for rot13ing spoilers, too.

Jym wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2005, ihope wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure if you can wish for artifacts or whatever but if you
>>can... I dunno, book of the dead?
>

> No. You cannot wish for the invocation artifacts, the Amulet, or your
> quest artifact.

VVEP,

Vs lbh jvfu sbe gur Obbx, lbh trg n oynax fcryyobbx.

Vs lbh jvfu sbe gur Pnaqynoehz, lbh trg fbzr pnaqyrf.

Vs lbh jvfu sbe gur Nzhyrg, lbh trg n purnc cynfgvp vzvgngvba Nzhyrg.

Vs lbh jvfu sbe lbhe dhrfg negvsnpg, lbh trg gur abezny vgrz vg
pbeerfcbaqf gb.

> IRC, you can wish for any other artifact or any object
> (but you're not garanteed to get your wish if too many artifacts are
> already in play).

Correct.

By "IRC", do you mean "I Remember Correctly", "Internet Relay Chat", or
did you just misspell "IIRC"?

>>Well, good luck, and don't wish for wands of wishing!
>

> Oh, yes, you cannot wish for wands of wishings. And I don't remember if
> you can wish for magic lamps, I don't thing so.
>
> Hypocoristiquement,
> Jym.

No, you can't wish for any item that can grant wishes (rkprcg fzbxl
cbgvbaf).

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 3:40:23 PM

Shadow <shadow@shadowedlogic.uni.cc> writes:
> Spoiler warning since I seem to be yelled at for posting
> spoilers. Then again, I get yelled at for rot13ing spoilers, too.
>
> Jym wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 May 2005, ihope wrote:
> >
> >>I'm not sure if you can wish for artifacts or whatever but if you
> >>can... I dunno, book of the dead?
> > No. You cannot wish for the invocation artifacts, the Amulet, or your
> > quest artifact.
>
> VVEP,
>
> Vs lbh jvfu sbe gur Obbx, lbh trg n oynax fcryyobbx.

Gehr.

> Vs lbh jvfu sbe gur Pnaqynoehz, lbh trg fbzr pnaqyrf.

N pnaqyr.

> Vs lbh jvfu sbe gur Nzhyrg, lbh trg n purnc cynfgvp vzvgngvba Nzhyrg.

Gehr.

(Vs lbh jvfu sbe gur Oryy bs Bcravat, lbh trg n oryy.)

> Vs lbh jvfu sbe lbhe dhrfg negvsnpg, lbh trg gur abezny vgrz vg
> pbeerfcbaqf gb.

Snyfr. "Sbe n zbzrag, lbh srry fbzrguvat va lbhe unaqf, ohg vg
qvfnccrnef!"

> > Oh, yes, you cannot wish for wands of wishings. And I don't
> > remember if you can wish for magic lamps, I don't thing so.
>
> No, you can't wish for any item that can grant wishes (rkprcg fzbxl
> cbgvbaf).

You can wish for them, they'll just usually be useless (cancelled
wands, oil lamp instead of magic lamp). The exception is that there's
a 10% chance of getting a 1:0 wand that you can wrest the last charge
out of; generally speaking, converting a known wish into a 10% chance of
an awkward-to-get-at wish isn't that good a deal. (Naq fzbxl cbgvbaf
fgvyy yrff fb ol gur fnzr ybtvp (fvapr lbh pna'g jvfu sbe rabhtu bs gurz
gb birepbzr gur bqqf); hayrff gur cbgvba rssrpg vf hfrshy va vgfrys.)

: "Zabadak, karakakora kakarakak, / Zabadak, shai shai skagalak." :
: -- Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, "Zabadak" :
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 4:10:09 PM

psmithnews@spod-central.org (Dylan O'Donnell) writes:

> You can wish for them, they'll just usually be useless (cancelled
> wands, oil lamp instead of magic lamp). The exception is that there's
> a 10% chance of getting a 1:0 wand that you can wrest the last charge
> out of; generally speaking, converting a known wish into a 10% chance of
> an awkward-to-get-at wish isn't that good a deal. (Naq fzbxl cbgvbaf
> fgvyy yrff fb ol gur fnzr ybtvp (fvapr lbh pna'g jvfu sbe rabhtu bs gurz
> gb birepbzr gur bqqf); hayrff gur cbgvba rssrpg vf hfrshy va vgfrys.)

Bar erzbgr cbffvovyvgl jbhyq or tvira vs lbh unccrarq gb unir
tngurerq dhvgr fbzr !bU, naq jvfu sbe gjb !btR va beqre gb
cebqhpr fzbxl !bsU. Ohg va nyy yvxryvubbq lbh'q trg gubfr
cbgvbaf gheavat fzbxl jvgubhg n jvfu nalubj, urapr V'q pnyy
guvf n jnfgrq jvfu.

Best,
Jakob
!