Waterblock

G

Im going to try that waterblock technique!

i hate fans and they dont do a good job anyways

ill keep u all posted on that

anyone else going to try?

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

G

p.s

to run that radiator and the pump etc.....
do i need a 300w power supply??
i have a 250 with a Spitfire 800

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
The pump is like an aquarian pump so it would just require AC, as for the fans I guess will depend what kind of radiator you buy and what fans you attach to it, they also could be AC. Intriguing idea, couldn't find a source for the cpu block here in the U.S. any ideas where? I would like to incorporate a temperature alarm and flow alarm to this unit with shutdowns. To easy to pinch a hose line and reduce flowrate through the cpu causing it to burn up. The shutdowns could be wired up to the motherboard on/off switch to shutdown the computer while still leaving that switch operational. This would incorporate something that AMD should have done in the first place.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Im also thinking of going watercooled, I posted a post over at hardwarecentral about it last week and got a lot of useful info, Ill post the link later as Im @ work now and cant get to the site.
www.overslockers.com have waterblocks,aquarium pumps are fine for our purposes and are 110/220V AC. radiators can be purchased from overclocking stores, but a lot of people make their own or modify car heater radiators. The fans can be mains powered or 12V, it really depends on the system you build as to how many/what size fans you use, but a couple of 120mm 12V fans can easily be powered from your pc.

Another coupld of sites that spring to mind:

www.overclockershideout.com (may be .net)
www.overclockers.co.uk
www.overclockers-network.com

I'll post the link to the topic I posted at HWC when I get home, unless of course you cant wait that long, you can go to www.hardwarecentral.com go to DISCUSSIONS then CASES/COOLING/OVERCLOCKING I think my post is still on the 1st page, just look for CALV

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am currently watercooling my system. Perhaps its just my waterblock, but it doesn't cool any better than a HSF, holding steady at about 42C according to MBM5 and my Asus A7V133.

I use 3 submersable water pumps I bought from petsmart.com. If one fails due to a mechanical failure the others will keep the water flowing. I had originally planned on building them into my case, but I wasn't able to build a water reservior that made me comfortable, so I just have them sitting in a bucket. The radiator/fan has its own power supply I stole from a 486 in my closet. The whole rig runs off its own UPS.

I actually just had my first 'incident' with my water cooling rig. The bucket I use has no cover, and I experience a fair amount of evaporation. I generally top it off every few days. I left my system on and idle and went out of town for the long memorial day weekend, making sure I filled up the resevior before I walked out the door. I forgot I had turned off the A/C due to the cool weather we've had lately, and returned home last night to find that all of my water had evaporated! The pumps were running dry and the only thing cooling my CPU was what the water block could remove as a radiator. Amazingly, the waterblock was 68.5C (I've got a thermal sensor attacked to the block) but my system was still running. I tapped my mouse to see what it was doing, if anything, and it sprung back to life. The temp immediately climbed to 75C before the system shut itself off, but its comforting to know that in my case, the water block alone is enough to cool an idle Athlon 'B' 1.2GHz running at 1.37GHz. My water block is a big beasty, though, much larger than the one used in Tom's article. So, make sure you keep an eye on your water level, and putting some kind of lid on your reservior would probably be a pretty good idea.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Perhaps a fan assisted waterblock would be helpful if the pump failed... just slap a fan on the block.

I myself am going to try the aquastealth kit(becooling.safeshopper.com), once I switch out my stuff into a nice, big aopen box. My current one is too small to house the reservoir...

I've also decided instead of making a window cutout, I'll just make a cutout to place my radiator in the side, then hinge the whole panel. Only reason I haven't done it yet is cause I may be replacing my processor shortly..

G

cool

these all sound like good ideas.. but i mean...
I sure hope i an get lower then 42c
right now im at~~41c and its a cool morning... Last week when it was extremely hot here... i got as high a 50c, which is not death.. but still not as cool as i would like it.. So thats why i wanted to try somethign new.. plus i seen to get a lot of bad fans and the bearings go and they rattle.. i hate them...

hmmm off to do some procing today

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Wouldn't an enclosed system like a cars be better. Less chance for evaporation, still I would like to incorporate some kind of safety shutdown(s). Flow and Temp would be ideal, been doing some research on flow meters and thermostats, seems that it wouldn't be to hard but I am not sure of the cost to implement. Car heater would make an outstanding heat exchanger plus cheap to buy, pumps are cheap, 80mm fans are cheap as well and can run off of the computer powersupply or a separate power supply.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/29/01 12:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Thanks for the tip on evaporation, Ill bear that in mind. A couple of peices of software that may be of interest to you are motherboard monitor and shutdown now, I cant remember where to get shutdown (Im @ work and have limited net access) but mobo monitor can be got from www.overclockers-network.com in the download section. These 2 programs can work together, motherboard mon measures the temp of you case/cpu (providing your board supports it) and shutdown now is a program to automatically shutdown your pc (without asking any dum questions like "this program is not responding, would you really like to close it"), you can set mobo monitor to run shutdwn at a predetermined temp, so in the case of a pump fail or water leak, the temp would obviously rise, but hopefully the rise would be detected in time to save any damage. if your unterested in it them plz mail me (jo_bloggs@btinternet.com) and I'll either mail it, or find you a link depending on the size.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Heres the link to the discussion on watercooling at HWC that I mentioned- very good info and pictures too!

<A HREF="http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/Forum11/HTML/015325.html" target="_new">http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/Forum11/HTML/015325.html</A>

Also, heres the links to motherboard monitor and shutdown now

"Motherboard monitor" you can get from:
<A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">http://mbm.livewiredev.com/</A>

"Shutdown now" you can get from:
<A HREF="http://www.dworld.de/shdnintern.htm" target="_new">http://www.dworld.de/shdnintern.htm</A>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Excellent, if I build one I will probably use stainless steel tubing or copper tubing with ferril connections. Also use some plastic tubing in a small section for visual flow indication. Would prefer whole unit being built inside the case vice external, plus totally self contained. Flow indication and shutdown would be the only trick, the temperture shutdown and indication is taken care of by the excellent programs you referenced. Thanks.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/29/01 02:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS