Lesser Minotaur

I'm working up stats for some of my campaigns "unique" monsters and
just about finished the Lesser Minotaur. They are intended to be
more civilized but less physically powerful than the "standard"
evil version.

Here's the stats. Let know what you think and if I got anything
wrong, especially CR or LA. I built this by taking the Savage
Species class to level 3 and then using the DMG rules to fix the
ability adjustments to where a human level intellect should be.

LESSER MINOTAUR
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14,
may wear armor
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
Attack: By weapon, or gore +0 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: By weapon, or gore +0 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Powerful charge 2d6+3
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., natural cunning, scent*
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Intimidate +3, Listen +5, Search +5, Spot +5
Feats: Great Fortitude, Power Attack, Weapon Proficiency: Axes, Armor
Proficiency: Light
Environment: Temperate Forest
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Lawful Good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

A lesser minotaur stands about than 7 feet tall and weighs about 350 pounds.
A lesser minotaur is proficient with all martial axes, all
simple weapons, and light armor.
Lesser minotaurs speak Giant and common.

COMBAT
Lesser minotaurs prefer melee combat, where their high strength
serves them well.

Powerful Charge (Ex): A lesser minotaur can charging at an
opponent, lowering its head to bring its horns into play. In addition
to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the
lesser minotaur to make a single gore attack with a +0 attack bonus
that deals 2d6+3 points of damage.

Natural Cunning (Ex): Lesser minotaurs possess innate cunning and
logical ability. This prevents them from ever becoming lost.

*Scent: A lesser minotaurs scent quality is not as keen as most
animals and thus has a range of 10' rather than the standard 30'.

Skills: Lesser have a +2 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks.

LESSER MINOTAURS AS CHARACTERS
Lesser minotaur characters possess the following racial traits.
— +4 Strength, +2
— Medium size.
— A lesser minotaur’s base land speed is 30 feet.
— Darkvision out to 60 feet.
— Racial Hit Dice: A lesser minotaur begins with three levels
of monstrous humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack
bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and
Will +3.
— Racial Skills: A lesser minotaur’s monstrous humanoid levels give
it skill points equal to 6 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its
class skills are Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Search, and Spot.
Lesser minotaurs have a +4 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and
Listen checks.
— Racial Feats: A minotaur’s monstrous humanoid levels give it
two feats.
— Weapon Proficiency: A lesser minotaur is proficient with all
martial axes and all simple weapons.
— Armor Proficiency: A lesser minotaur is proficient with light armor.
— +4 natural armor bonus.
— Natural Weapons: Secondary Gore (1d6). May not be used freely
with other attacks.
—Special Attacks (see above): Powerful charge.
—Special Qualities (see above): Natural cunning, scent 10'.
—Automatic Languages: Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Sylvan, Elven,
Celestial.
—Favored Class: Ranger.
—Level adjustment +2.

Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in news:EF2Xd.159660$0u.14222
@fed1read04:

> I'm working up stats for some of my campaigns "unique" monsters and
> just about finished the Lesser Minotaur.

Why don't you just use the Minotaur from Dragonlance?

Quentin Stephens wrote:
> Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in news:EF2Xd.159660$0u.14222
> @fed1read04:
>

>>I'm working up stats for some of my campaigns "unique" monsters and
>>just about finished the Lesser Minotaur.
>
> Why don't you just use the Minotaur from Dragonlance?

It would still need as much modification, but mainly I wanted this
race to have racial hit dice so they be naturally tougher than humans.

Oh, and I forgot to mention two things that I waffling on:
I not sure Intimidate is the best skill pick, but they are
physically impressive and prone to cowling (no pun intended) other
races when they are out of line.

And Celestial as a bonus language.
This is more because the angels are prone to visiting them than
because of any innate religious fervor. Their outlook on religion
is almost Druidic even though their ethics prevent a full "nature
first, civilization be damned approach."

Ophidian wrote:

<snip lesser minotaur>

seems pretty weak for 5 levels.

If I follow correctly you get basicly 3 weak levels (monster HD) +4
natural armor +4 str, +2 con, scent and a few minor extras.

By comparison a Bugbear gives about the same; 3 weak levels (monster
HD), +3 natural armor, +4 Str, +2 Con, +2 Dex, -2 Cha, Scent, +4 Move
Silently. However it's LA is +1 instead of +2.

- Justisaur

justisaur@gmail.com wrote:

> Ophidian wrote:
>
> <snip lesser minotaur>
>
> seems pretty weak for 5 levels.

Possible, I defered to Savage Species on that.

> If I follow correctly you get basicly 3 weak levels (monster HD) +4
> natural armor +4 str, +2 con, scent and a few minor extras.
>
> By comparison a Bugbear gives about the same; 3 weak levels (monster
> HD), +3 natural armor, +4 Str, +2 Con, +2 Dex, -2 Cha, Scent, +4 Move
> Silently. However it's LA is +1 instead of +2.

Hm, added weak natural weapon, higher natural armor, powerful charge,
+2 in skill bonus, and +2 Cha.
Lost 2 Dex and some scent.
Close call, the abilities would balance with a +2 to Int or Wis,
(Wis likely) leaving a net gain.
I assume +1 Natural armor is worth more than scent.

Maybe +1 LA is better, or stick with +2 but add Wis +2?

Any HD 3, LA +2 races out there to compare with?

Ophidian wrote:
> justisaur@gmail.com wrote:

> Any HD 3, LA +2 races out there to compare with?

Looks lik Ogre is probably the closest with 4 HD, but they are large.
which is a large advantage.

- Justisaur

<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Ophidian wrote:
>
> <snip lesser minotaur>
>
> seems pretty weak for 5 levels.
>
> If I follow correctly you get basicly 3 weak levels (monster HD) +4
> natural armor +4 str, +2 con, scent and a few minor extras.
>
> By comparison a Bugbear gives about the same; 3 weak levels (monster
> HD), +3 natural armor, +4 Str, +2 Con, +2 Dex, -2 Cha, Scent, +4 Move
> Silently. However it's LA is +1 instead of +2.
>
> - Justisaur

Monstrous Humanoid is much better than Humanoid though.

Geoff.

Geoff Watson wrote:

> Monstrous Humanoid is much better than Humanoid though.

Hm, better BAB, extra good save, darkvision.
I'm ready to believe you.
Especially at higher levels.