Laptop Recommendation for $450

Status
Not open for further replies.

ionosphere

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
First of all, the available budget is only $450. I am looking for a laptop that is capable for very basic functionalities: only basic office work and no games.

I have seen some netbooks that offer for less, such as the 10 inches Dell Inspiron 1018, BenQ Lite U106, etc. Now, I know that these things use Atom Processors and they are weak - very weak. Of course, this is just basic office work and I don't require anything else, really.

But there is one thing that I concern the most, and that is the computer must be able to operate with reasonable speed, meaning when it starts up and I open Office, the time taken to do this should not be too slow. I expect Windows to load in a minute, starting from when I press the power button to when Windows is ready to work. Opening Office should also not take long. I have a very bad experience with Windows Vista on a Netbook, and I object to this ridicule.

For screen size, resolution, etc., I don't really care much.

So any suggestion for this? A reasonable speed (not too slow) Netbook for office work only.

Solution
Here is a review of the Lenovo G560. The review doesn't have the same CPU but you'll get a really good idea what the reviewer thought about the laptop's basic feature set.

That Intel Pentium P6100 CPU is the entry level version of the Core i3 mobile CPUs. 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD & Wifi and Intel HD Graphics.

-> Note that date on the deal @ Office Depot. End the 5th of March.

dreadful

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

Thanks for the heads up on the deal my mom has been looking for a cheap laptop for basic use. We went and got one tonight it a great upgrade for her. She was using a P4 2.8 with 512 ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.