RoundRobin on NAO

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Speaking of the round robin game...

I made a player on NAO called RoundRobin. The idea is that anyone can
login and just play the character for a little while, without any of
this organization. It'd be cool to just login when you have some time,
and if no one else is playing, put in a few hundred turns or so.
Obviously everything will depend on the goodwill of the players; if
people intentionally mess with the game, or change the password, it's
just not going to work.

There are a few reasons I want to see a round robin game on NAO. It
allows any operating system, it allows impromptu playing from an unknown
starting point, and it lets people spectate. So with that in mind, I'm
opening RoundRobin up to the people of rgrn with the hopes that we can
make this work.

The login is 'RoundRobin' and the password is 'robin'.


A few guidelines:

-Please don't change the password or email address. The email currently
points to my gmail account. There's no need to commandeer the account.

-I set up the options so the game displays nicely in Putty on my WinXP
machine. If you like it looking differently, that's fine, but please
don't change the defaults file.

-Name something important with some unique identifier, if you find no
save file and start a new character. That way if we play for a while and
come back later, we'll know if it's the same character.

-If you log in and someone else is already playing (i.e. "Another
Nethack process is already running, terminate it?"), don't kill it! Just
try again later.

-Try not to play too long at once. A few hundred to a few thousand turns
seems about right. Don't get attached to your character.


Let me know if you all support this idea, think it's stupid, etc. It
would be cool to have a sort of public nethack game going.
52 answers Last reply
More about roundrobin
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Andy Johnson wrote:
    > Speaking of the round robin game...
    >
    > I made a player on NAO called RoundRobin. The idea is that anyone can

    > login and just play the character for a little while, without any of
    > this organization. It'd be cool to just login when you have some
    time,
    > and if no one else is playing, put in a few hundred turns or so.
    > Obviously everything will depend on the goodwill of the players; if
    > people intentionally mess with the game, or change the password, it's

    > just not going to work.
    >
    > There are a few reasons I want to see a round robin game on NAO. It
    > allows any operating system, it allows impromptu playing from an
    unknown
    > starting point, and it lets people spectate. So with that in mind,
    I'm
    > opening RoundRobin up to the people of rgrn with the hopes that we
    can
    > make this work.

    I think it's a cool idea, but I'm worried at what would happen if
    someone logged into the account while someone else was playing....

    - John H.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Andy Johnson wrote:
    > Speaking of the round robin game...
    >
    > I made a player on NAO called RoundRobin. The idea is that anyone can
    > login and just play the character for a little while, without any of
    > this organization. It'd be cool to just login when you have some time,
    > and if no one else is playing, put in a few hundred turns or so.
    > Obviously everything will depend on the goodwill of the players; if
    > people intentionally mess with the game, or change the password, it's
    > just not going to work.
    >
    > There are a few reasons I want to see a round robin game on NAO. It
    > allows any operating system, it allows impromptu playing from an unknown
    > starting point, and it lets people spectate. So with that in mind, I'm
    > opening RoundRobin up to the people of rgrn with the hopes that we can
    > make this work.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Let me know if you all support this idea, think it's stupid, etc. It
    > would be cool to have a sort of public nethack game going.

    I like the idea and hope folks truly support it.

    If it doesn't work the way we hope, players could change the password
    and pass it to the next one. (That requires some coordination; the free
    approach is surely superior.)

    BTW, why a tourist? They're not easy! 8-)

    Continued the game to move 400.
    Fell through a trapdoor from level 2 to level 3.
    Still at HP:10. Inventory intact.
    A newt lurking around the corner. ;-)

    Janis
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    > Andy Johnson wrote:
    >>
    >> Let me know if you all support this idea, think it's stupid, etc. It
    >> would be cool to have a sort of public nethack game going.
    >
    >
    > I like the idea and hope folks truly support it.
    >
    Good to hear!

    > If it doesn't work the way we hope, players could change the password
    > and pass it to the next one. (That requires some coordination; the free
    > approach is surely superior.)
    >
    > BTW, why a tourist? They're not easy! 8-)

    Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Blame the RNG; this game, like all of mine, was
    randomized.

    > Continued the game to move 400.
    > Fell through a trapdoor from level 2 to level 3.
    > Still at HP:10. Inventory intact.
    > A newt lurking around the corner. ;-)
    >
    > Janis

    Played a little more (t=1000) and got chased into a corner by some
    enemies. Stopped while standing on an Elbereth'd square so I could throw
    darts at them.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    I guess the T got YASD'd, because RoundRobin is now a Gnomish Caveman. Or
    maybe Cavewoman, I forget.

    Two magic lamps in Minetown - wished up GDSM.

    Did Sokoban - got the amulet.

    You're welcome and try not to screw it up. This character is already an
    artifact weapon away from ascendable.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Hmm, I hope I don't YAAD too many times.

    'I said don't break it, stupid. You fell into a sleeping gas trap and
    the bat started attacking. Do you want your possesions identified?'
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    What are these strange symbols? The floor is made of tildes! The walls
    look like the Marauder's Map from Harry Potter...
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    JC wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 01:43:45 -0400:
    > I guess the T got YASD'd, because RoundRobin is now a Gnomish Caveman. Or
    > maybe Cavewoman, I forget.
    >
    > Two magic lamps in Minetown - wished up GDSM.
    >
    > Did Sokoban - got the amulet.
    >
    > You're welcome and try not to screw it up. This character is already an
    > artifact weapon away from ascendable.

    I played a little over 2k turns:

    Cashed the magic lamp in for the Eye. Obtained a magic whistle and a
    tame shapeshifter. Butchered Minetown (a few watchmen survived), then
    sacrificed stuff to restore luck.

    Suggestions for the next player:
    1. Break open the statues in the zoo on the current level.
    2. Gate to Minesend (don't forget to bring the pet along with you). I
    dropped the sack on that level and it has a lot of stuff.
    3. Climb up to Minetown, kill the remaining watchmen and loot the empty
    shops. There should be lots of gold in the shopkeeper statues. The
    luckstone is sitting in a shop. Sac to restore luck, then donate for
    protection. Don't forget to b/u/c items. (optional: have the pet kill
    the priest for his robe.)
    4. Gate back to Sokoban and stash most items. Put potions, scrolls, and
    wands under the boulder. Go up to the Oracle to blank potions and maybe
    get a wish.
    5. Go up in the dungeon and have the pet kill shopkeepers. Try to find a
    floating eye.


    --
    "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
    am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
    commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    John H. wrote:
    >
    > I think it's a cool idea, but I'm worried at what would happen if
    > someone logged into the account while someone else was playing....
    >
    > - John H.
    >

    If you do, it just tells you there's another person playing and asks if
    you want to end their session. I've done it, you have 10 seconds to hit
    any key to NOT kill the other process. So again, as long as no one is
    malicious, it'll be ok.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Rast wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 09:32:20 -0400:

    > 3. Climb up to Minetown, kill the remaining watchmen and loot the empty
    > shops. There should be lots of gold in the shopkeeper statues. The
    > luckstone is sitting in a shop. Sac to restore luck, then donate for
    > protection. Don't forget to b/u/c items. (optional: have the pet kill
    > the priest for his robe.)

    I forgot to mention: There might be a wand of create monster in the stash
    (the entrance is one level up from the statue zoo). Hopefully the god
    will great a good weapon. He gave me Vorpy, but that is pretty useless.


    --
    "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
    am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
    commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Rast" <rast2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1cebd3734e9a50bc98a33d@216.168.3.44...

    > I played a little over 2k turns:
    >
    > Cashed the magic lamp in for the Eye. Obtained a magic whistle and a
    > tame shapeshifter. Butchered Minetown (a few watchmen survived), then
    > sacrificed stuff to restore luck.

    Dude. You killed Izchak! With a rubber chicken! I watched you do it!

    There's going to be some kind of insanely bad YASD as a result, just you
    watch...

    "You hear the rumble of distant thunder..."
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Rast wrote:

    > JC wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 01:43:45 -0400:
    >> I guess the T got YASD'd, because RoundRobin is now a Gnomish Caveman.
    >> Or maybe Cavewoman, I forget.
    >>
    >> Two magic lamps in Minetown - wished up GDSM.
    >>
    >> Did Sokoban - got the amulet.
    >>
    >> You're welcome and try not to screw it up. This character is already an
    >> artifact weapon away from ascendable.
    >
    > I played a little over 2k turns:
    >
    > Cashed the magic lamp in for the Eye. Obtained a magic whistle and a
    > tame shapeshifter. Butchered Minetown (a few watchmen survived), then
    > sacrificed stuff to restore luck.
    >
    > Suggestions for the next player:
    > 1. Break open the statues in the zoo on the current level.
    > 2. Gate to Minesend (don't forget to bring the pet along with you). I
    > dropped the sack on that level and it has a lot of stuff.
    > 3. Climb up to Minetown, kill the remaining watchmen and loot the empty
    > shops. There should be lots of gold in the shopkeeper statues. The
    > luckstone is sitting in a shop. Sac to restore luck, then donate for
    > protection. Don't forget to b/u/c items. (optional: have the pet kill
    > the priest for his robe.)
    > 4. Gate back to Sokoban and stash most items. Put potions, scrolls, and
    > wands under the boulder. Go up to the Oracle to blank potions and maybe
    > get a wish.
    > 5. Go up in the dungeon and have the pet kill shopkeepers. Try to find a
    > floating eye.
    >
    >
    >

    Didn't see this post before I took about 1k turns. Have started moving stuff
    from mines end through BUC-testing in minetown to sokoban (didn't use the
    sack; there's more down there). Advanced Vorpy to basic. Shapeshifty
    unfortunately had a stint as a black light and confused a dwarf. Melancholy
    feeling. :(

    Suggestions above still stand.

    Sidsel
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Rast wrote:
    > JC wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 01:43:45 -0400:
    >
    >>I guess the T got YASD'd, because RoundRobin is now a Gnomish Caveman. Or
    >>maybe Cavewoman, I forget.
    >>
    >>Two magic lamps in Minetown - wished up GDSM.
    >>
    >>Did Sokoban - got the amulet.
    >>
    >>You're welcome and try not to screw it up. This character is already an
    >>artifact weapon away from ascendable.
    >
    >
    > I played a little over 2k turns:
    >
    > Cashed the magic lamp in for the Eye. Obtained a magic whistle and a
    > tame shapeshifter. Butchered Minetown (a few watchmen survived), then
    > sacrificed stuff to restore luck.
    >
    > Suggestions for the next player:
    > 1. Break open the statues in the zoo on the current level.
    > 2. Gate to Minesend (don't forget to bring the pet along with you). I
    > dropped the sack on that level and it has a lot of stuff.
    > 3. Climb up to Minetown, kill the remaining watchmen and loot the empty
    > shops. There should be lots of gold in the shopkeeper statues. The
    > luckstone is sitting in a shop. Sac to restore luck, then donate for
    > protection. Don't forget to b/u/c items. (optional: have the pet kill
    > the priest for his robe.)
    > 4. Gate back to Sokoban and stash most items. Put potions, scrolls, and
    > wands under the boulder. Go up to the Oracle to blank potions and maybe
    > get a wish.
    > 5. Go up in the dungeon and have the pet kill shopkeepers. Try to find a
    > floating eye.

    Suggestions untouched. No floating eye, yet.

    At dungeon level 12:
    - quest portal
    - vault (still unexlored)
    - a *really great* leppy hall (much more gold 8-)
    - own gold left on level 11 (no leppy, no!)
    - converted altar
    + TODO: lure leppies onto altar !!! <<<<--------
    - another magic lamp (infinite light!)
    + please don't use for wishes
    - done some alchemy (full healing)
    + bless on occasion

    Still a stash at sokoban.

    Happy hacking! :-)

    Janis
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    > Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    > >
    > > - There's a polytrap a few levels upstairs (have locked the doors
    of
    > > that room). Have also some tripe in the inventory.
    > > + go, get a pet, and polymorph it !!
    >
    > Couldn't resist... - a pet titan. :-)
    >
    > Janis


    Another stupid q from myself, how do you log onto this game, what is
    NAO?
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    >
    > At dungeon level 12:
    > - quest portal
    > - vault (still unexlored)
    > - a *really great* leppy hall (much more gold 8-)
    > - own gold left on level 11 (no leppy, no!)
    > - converted altar
    > + TODO: lure leppies onto altar !!! <<<<--------
    > - another magic lamp (infinite light!)
    > + please don't use for wishes
    > - done some alchemy (full healing)
    > + bless on occasion

    Forgot something very important, since we have a GDSM...

    - There's a polytrap a few levels upstairs (have locked the doors of
    that room). Have also some tripe in the inventory.
    + go, get a pet, and polymorph it !!


    Janis
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    >
    > - There's a polytrap a few levels upstairs (have locked the doors of
    > that room). Have also some tripe in the inventory.
    > + go, get a pet, and polymorph it !!

    Couldn't resist... - a pet titan. :-)

    Janis
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 5/11/05 9:32 AM, Rast wrote:
    > Suggestions for the next player:
    > 1. Break open the statues in the zoo on the current level.
    > 2. Gate to Minesend (don't forget to bring the pet along with you). I
    > dropped the sack on that level and it has a lot of stuff.
    > 3. Climb up to Minetown, kill the remaining watchmen and loot the empty
    > shops. There should be lots of gold in the shopkeeper statues. The
    > luckstone is sitting in a shop. Sac to restore luck, then donate for
    > protection. Don't forget to b/u/c items. (optional: have the pet kill
    > the priest for his robe.)
    > 4. Gate back to Sokoban and stash most items. Put potions, scrolls, and
    > wands under the boulder. Go up to the Oracle to blank potions and maybe
    > get a wish.
    > 5. Go up in the dungeon and have the pet kill shopkeepers. Try to find a
    > floating eye.

    Rast--

    I know you're a very good player, so I wouldn't presume to critique your
    suggestions. I'd merely point out that they read more like detailed
    instructions for the next stage of the game than a few items of
    generally helpful guidance. If I had played the next bit, I'd have felt
    obligated to play out your plan, or else feel doubly responsible if I
    had YASD'd or if my different course had turned out badly down the line.
    And if I *had* played out your plan, I wouldn't have felt that *I* was
    playing; I would have felt that I was following orders.

    I would have thought the point of a round robin would be to see how far
    a number of different players, with differing playing styles, could go
    with a single character. The presumption, I think, is that when you're
    done with your turn, you let go of the reins and let someone else take over.

    I was going to let this go, but Janis seems to be doing the same thing
    (a bit milder). If the experts want to call all the shots, what's the
    point of anyone else playing?

    --
    Kevin Wayne

    "Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
    their souls." --Steve Hindalong
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Marky Mark <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
    >
    [RoundRobin on NAO]
    > Another stupid q from myself, how do you log onto this game, what is
    > NAO?

    telnet nethack.alt.org

    Things should be pretty self-explanatory after that.
    I suggest you use PuTTY, not the windows telnet, if you're on a windows
    box.

    --
    Pasi Kallinen
    paxed@alt.org
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kevin Wayne wrote:
    > On 5/11/05 9:32 AM, Rast wrote:
    > > Suggestions for the next player:
    >
    >> 1. Break open the statues in the zoo on the current level.
    >> 2. Gate to Minesend (don't forget to bring the pet along with you). I
    >> dropped the sack on that level and it has a lot of stuff.
    >> 3. Climb up to Minetown, kill the remaining watchmen and loot the
    >> empty shops. There should be lots of gold in the shopkeeper statues.
    >> The luckstone is sitting in a shop. Sac to restore luck, then donate
    >> for protection. Don't forget to b/u/c items. (optional: have the pet
    >> kill the priest for his robe.)
    >> 4. Gate back to Sokoban and stash most items. Put potions, scrolls,
    >> and wands under the boulder. Go up to the Oracle to blank potions and
    >> maybe get a wish.
    >> 5. Go up in the dungeon and have the pet kill shopkeepers. Try to
    >> find a floating eye.
    >
    > I was going to let this go, but Janis seems to be doing the same thing
    > (a bit milder). If the experts want to call all the shots, what's the
    > point of anyone else playing?
    >
    The point of the instructions were to let other players know what hasn't
    yet been done. But I'll agree, maybe they could have been phrased
    differently.

    It would probably be enough to say "The luckstone is in a shop in
    Minetown." or "There's a sack of loot at Minesend." Then just leave it
    up to the next player to decide what to do with that info.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:

    > Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    >>
    >> - There's a polytrap a few levels upstairs (have locked the doors of
    >> that room). Have also some tripe in the inventory.
    >> + go, get a pet, and polymorph it !!
    >
    > Couldn't resist... - a pet titan. :-)
    >
    > Janis

    Also a black naga. Explored another level down before going up to stash and
    back to the mines. The grey stone was a touch-stone. Up to XL 12, and the
    titan killed the Oracle for another potion of gain level which has not been
    used yet. We've eaten a floating eye!

    Minetown has been totally cleared, including 2 more points of protection
    before the Titan killed of the priestess. Robe is blessed +1. One of the
    shops had a stethoscope and we picked up the rest of the food from the
    deli. Started practicing with a dwarven mattock.

    Saccing for a better weapon or enchanting Vorpy or the mattock seems like a
    good idea.

    Sidsel
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Rast <rast2@hotmail.com> writes:

    > Rast wrote on Wed, 11 May 2005 09:32:20 -0400:
    >
    > > 3. Climb up to Minetown, kill the remaining watchmen and loot the empty
    > > shops. There should be lots of gold in the shopkeeper statues. The
    > > luckstone is sitting in a shop. Sac to restore luck, then donate for
    > > protection. Don't forget to b/u/c items. (optional: have the pet kill
    > > the priest for his robe.)
    >
    > I forgot to mention: There might be a wand of create monster in the stash
    > (the entrance is one level up from the statue zoo). Hopefully the god
    > will great a good weapon. He gave me Vorpy, but that is pretty useless.

    VB is very good to have, since this prevents role monsters
    on astral to have it. But that's maybe a bit too far--sighted
    at the moment..

    Best,
    Jakob
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kevin Wayne wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 05:11:13 GMT:
    > On 5/11/05 9:32 AM, Rast wrote:
    > > Suggestions for the next player:

    > I'd merely point out that they read more like detailed
    > instructions for the next stage of the game than a few items of
    > generally helpful guidance. If I had played the next bit, I'd have felt
    > obligated to play out your plan, or else feel doubly responsible if I
    > had YASD'd or if my different course had turned out badly down the line.
    > And if I *had* played out your plan, I wouldn't have felt that *I* was
    > playing; I would have felt that I was following orders.

    You shouldn't feel that way.

    My suggestions were what _I_ would do next, if I had continued to play.
    Subsequent players are free to choose their own path, but at least they
    will have a good description of the gamestate.


    I took ~turns 20200-22200. The character started in Minetown -- the
    townsfolk were all dead. There was no sign of the magic lamp or pet
    titan which had been mentioned in other posts. I grabbed everything
    useful and gated to Sokoban to stash it all, then proceeded downwards.

    I had to loot the statue zoo with a wand of striking because someone had
    lost the pickaxe. Tamed a dog and turned it into a silver dragon in the
    polytrap on DL11. On DL12 I prayed for holy water on the co-aligned
    altar, and blessed the BOH (long overdue, that).

    On DL15 there was a co-aligned temple, where I donated for maximum
    protection and also burnt up a wand of sacrifices. All I got was
    Trollsbane, though. The silver dragon killed the priest.

    Gated back to Minesend and grabbed the stash there. Walked up through
    the mines, and just below Minetown were a tame titan and black naga. In
    Minetown I sacrificed some more: Dragonbane.

    Had the pets kill the shopkeeper on DL3. The one on DL2 had already been
    killed by somebody else. Grabbed everything and gated back to Sokoban
    and saved.


    Notes:
    There is no point in going back to the Mines or DL1-DL3. As far as I can
    tell, nothing of value remains there. My suggested next step would be to
    clear DL4-DL6 (don't forget to use up sinks and fountains -- you might
    get a wish), and then proceed downwards to an altar.

    Co-aligned altars are on DL13 and DL15, and probably more places.

    Vorpal is quite bad. Even the pets are more effective...

    When you use up a wand or oil lamp, please individually name it "0", or
    destroy it.


    --
    "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
    am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
    commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    I've just played a small stint as RoundRobin. I do have to say that I can
    feel a little more pressure playing a character that someone else has
    started. Not that I have done much else to robin. I did bless the luckstone
    and I have just found the entrance to Ludios.
    Good luck to whomever is next.

    "Rast" <rast2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1ced3b647749c41098a341@216.168.3.44...
    > Kevin Wayne wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 05:11:13 GMT:
    > > On 5/11/05 9:32 AM, Rast wrote:
    > > > Suggestions for the next player:
    >
    > > I'd merely point out that they read more like detailed
    > > instructions for the next stage of the game than a few items of
    > > generally helpful guidance. If I had played the next bit, I'd have felt
    > > obligated to play out your plan, or else feel doubly responsible if I
    > > had YASD'd or if my different course had turned out badly down the line.
    > > And if I *had* played out your plan, I wouldn't have felt that *I* was
    > > playing; I would have felt that I was following orders.
    >
    > You shouldn't feel that way.
    >
    > My suggestions were what _I_ would do next, if I had continued to play.
    > Subsequent players are free to choose their own path, but at least they
    > will have a good description of the gamestate.
    >
    >
    > I took ~turns 20200-22200. The character started in Minetown -- the
    > townsfolk were all dead. There was no sign of the magic lamp or pet
    > titan which had been mentioned in other posts. I grabbed everything
    > useful and gated to Sokoban to stash it all, then proceeded downwards.
    >
    > I had to loot the statue zoo with a wand of striking because someone had
    > lost the pickaxe. Tamed a dog and turned it into a silver dragon in the
    > polytrap on DL11. On DL12 I prayed for holy water on the co-aligned
    > altar, and blessed the BOH (long overdue, that).
    >
    > On DL15 there was a co-aligned temple, where I donated for maximum
    > protection and also burnt up a wand of sacrifices. All I got was
    > Trollsbane, though. The silver dragon killed the priest.
    >
    > Gated back to Minesend and grabbed the stash there. Walked up through
    > the mines, and just below Minetown were a tame titan and black naga. In
    > Minetown I sacrificed some more: Dragonbane.
    >
    > Had the pets kill the shopkeeper on DL3. The one on DL2 had already been
    > killed by somebody else. Grabbed everything and gated back to Sokoban
    > and saved.
    >
    >
    > Notes:
    > There is no point in going back to the Mines or DL1-DL3. As far as I can
    > tell, nothing of value remains there. My suggested next step would be to
    > clear DL4-DL6 (don't forget to use up sinks and fountains -- you might
    > get a wish), and then proceed downwards to an altar.
    >
    > Co-aligned altars are on DL13 and DL15, and probably more places.
    >
    > Vorpal is quite bad. Even the pets are more effective...
    >
    > When you use up a wand or oil lamp, please individually name it "0", or
    > destroy it.
    >
    >
    > --
    > "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
    > am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
    > commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Oops. Quit the game. Sorry. (Hi-score list!)

    But how do you save it?
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Yeah, well, I'll start a new game. Erm, I did. I'll try to get it as
    far as it was before, but with my skills it won't happen...

    Ah well. It had to end sometime.
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Yeah! IRC!

    Uh, what's IRC?

    Anyway, I started a game and, having little experience with [yuhjklnm],
    I fell into a pit three times in a row and died. 66 points though.
    Woohoo.
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    ihope wrote:

    > Yeah! IRC!
    >
    > Uh, what's IRC?
    >
    > Anyway, I started a game and, having little experience with [yuhjklnm],
    > I fell into a pit three times in a row and died. 66 points though.
    > Woohoo.

    You can switch to numberpad by pressing 'O' and then selecting the
    appropriate option, if you prefer this (I believe the person who started
    the account asks you not to change the default options file, but if you
    toggle this option in-game it should revert back for the next player).

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    ihope wrote:
    > Yeah! IRC!
    >
    > Uh, what's IRC?
    >
    > Anyway, I started a game and, having little experience with
    [yuhjklnm],
    > I fell into a pit three times in a row and died. 66 points though.
    > Woohoo.


    Looks like this idea lasted one (1) day before being ruined by trolls.
    Time to explore that "emailing-the-password-around" option.
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Well, I started the game...
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Ah, in-game? Cool. :-)

    I'll use whatchamacallit later... it's a bit like learning rot-13 isn't
    it? :-P Yeah right
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 5/12/05 11:08 AM, Rast wrote:

    > I took ~turns 20200-22200. The character started in Minetown -- the
    > townsfolk were all dead. There was no sign of the magic lamp or pet
    > titan which had been mentioned in other posts. I grabbed everything
    > useful and gated to Sokoban to stash it all, then proceeded downwards.
    >
    > I had to loot the statue zoo with a wand of striking because someone had
    > lost the pickaxe. Tamed a dog and turned it into a silver dragon in the
    > polytrap on DL11. On DL12 I prayed for holy water on the co-aligned
    > altar, and blessed the BOH (long overdue, that).
    >
    > On DL15 there was a co-aligned temple, where I donated for maximum
    > protection and also burnt up a wand of sacrifices. All I got was
    > Trollsbane, though. The silver dragon killed the priest.
    >
    > Gated back to Minesend and grabbed the stash there. Walked up through
    > the mines, and just below Minetown were a tame titan and black naga. In
    > Minetown I sacrificed some more: Dragonbane.
    >
    > Had the pets kill the shopkeeper on DL3. The one on DL2 had already been
    > killed by somebody else. Grabbed everything and gated back to Sokoban
    > and saved.
    >
    >
    > Notes:
    > There is no point in going back to the Mines or DL1-DL3. As far as I can
    > tell, nothing of value remains there. My suggested next step would be to
    > clear DL4-DL6 (don't forget to use up sinks and fountains -- you might
    > get a wish), and then proceed downwards to an altar.
    >
    > Co-aligned altars are on DL13 and DL15, and probably more places.
    >
    > Vorpal is quite bad. Even the pets are more effective...
    >
    > When you use up a wand or oil lamp, please individually name it "0", or
    > destroy it.

    This type of instruction I find much more helpful. A description of what
    you've done, a description of where the game is at with regard to
    dungeon exploration. Thanks!

    If I get time, I might just take a turn after all....

    --
    Kevin Wayne

    "Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
    their souls." --Steve Hindalong
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Rast wrote:
    >
    > I took ~turns 20200-22200. The character started in Minetown -- the
    > townsfolk were all dead. There was no sign of the magic lamp or pet
    > titan which had been mentioned in other posts.

    I suppose the magic lamp had been immediately burned up for the chance
    of a wish by someone; it hadn't been existing any more when I continued
    the game a couple hours later. (See what pleadings bring about to not
    burn the lamp, and how long these suggestions stay relevant ;-)

    Too sad that the titan is gone; they're really promising pets. <sigh>

    Janis
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote on Thu, 12 May 2005 18:58:43 +0200:
    > Rast wrote:
    > >
    > > I took ~turns 20200-22200. The character started in Minetown -- the
    > > townsfolk were all dead. There was no sign of the magic lamp or pet
    > > titan which had been mentioned in other posts.
    >
    > I suppose the magic lamp had been immediately burned up for the chance
    > of a wish by someone; it hadn't been existing any more when I continued
    > the game a couple hours later. (See what pleadings bring about to not
    > burn the lamp, and how long these suggestions stay relevant ;-)

    That's part of the nature of round robin. It will be nearly impossible
    to convince all other participants that a magic lamp is best used as an
    eternal light source, rather than as a wish for something that can
    greatly increase your chances of winning the game.

    I'm not sure what the lamp was spent on, but probably the titan. :/


    > Too sad that the titan is gone; they're really promising pets. <sigh>

    I later found the titan immediately below Minetown. I expect the
    previous player had stashed it there -- rather a shame he didn't leave a
    note by #naming an inventory item.

    Luckily it's an eating pet and was still tame.


    --
    "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
    am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
    commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    micromoog wrote on 12 May 2005 14:04:10 -0700:

    > Looks like this idea lasted one (1) day before being ruined by trolls.

    It was nearly inevitable that a player who is unable to advance a
    character to point X on his own, but wishes to experience point X, would
    restore the game at point X, and promptly die.

    It is rather disheartening that in this case point X was "saving the game
    properly".

    > Time to explore that "emailing-the-password-around" option.

    Or sharing it on IRC, or something.


    --
    "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
    am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
    commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Rast wrote:
    >
    > [ missing magic lamp ]
    >
    > I'm not sure what the lamp was spent on, but probably the titan. :/

    No. I found the lamp _and_ polymorphed the pet to become a titan.

    My first impression was that the wish had gone to a) the BoH or b) was
    ineffective. a) makes me wonder, since I've read in some #name'ed item
    that there was "the bag" at the bottom of the mines. b) well, ...

    Current game...
    A green elf wielded Trollsbane against me; I shot him with the WoDeath.
    40000+ zorkmids money (Croesus); hope some priest is still alife.
    Currently in a jewellery; lot's of things to identify now.
    My fault: I admitted the pet H to kill the shopkeeper.

    Janis
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Andy Johnson wrote:
    > Speaking of the round robin game...

    Something aweful happened. :-(

    Someone apparently unfamiliar with the interface #quit'ed!
    Ouch.

    Janis
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    What a coincidence in timing... sorry X-o
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    > Andy Johnson wrote:
    > > Speaking of the round robin game...
    >
    > Something aweful happened. :-(
    >
    > Someone apparently unfamiliar with the interface #quit'ed!
    > Ouch.
    >
    > Janis

    Ack X(

    OK, this sounds too much fun. I gotta get into the action for the next
    one. Are people on irc when they play too?

    -K
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:

    > Kremti wrote:
    >> OK, this sounds too much fun. I gotta get into the action for the next
    >> one. Are people on irc when they play too?
    >
    > IRC? Not me. I use the bulky mail/'#' communication. Though IRC might
    > have helped to avoid that #quit, since the unfortunate asked how to
    > quit but has not awaited the response. IRC would have made the response
    > immediately available. Do we need an IRC server?

    Go to #nethack on freenode. There's even a bot (Rodney) there that will
    answer questions and announce all deaths on NAO.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    ihope wrote:
    > Oops. Quit the game. Sorry. (Hi-score list!)
    >
    > But how do you save it?

    Capital-S

    The command ? also helps to get online help of commands and everything.
    Have a look at the Guidebook, too.

    Janis
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kremti wrote:
    > Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    >
    >>Andy Johnson wrote:
    >>
    >>>Speaking of the round robin game...
    >>
    >>Something aweful happened. :-(
    >>
    >>Someone apparently unfamiliar with the interface #quit'ed!
    >>Ouch.
    >
    > Ack X(
    >
    > OK, this sounds too much fun. I gotta get into the action for the next
    > one. Are people on irc when they play too?

    IRC? Not me. I use the bulky mail/'#' communication. Though IRC might
    have helped to avoid that #quit, since the unfortunate asked how to
    quit but has not awaited the response. IRC would have made the response
    immediately available. Do we need an IRC server?

    Janis
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    micromoog wrote:
    > ihope wrote:

    >
    > Looks like this idea lasted one (1) day before being ruined by
    trolls.
    > Time to explore that "emailing-the-password-around" option.


    So, what you want is an elitist group that will take turns playing on a
    single account? Do you have some criteria on how people will make the
    team and who will get cut?


    IMHO, this is not what the point of this account was, though I do see
    why you might want to make another account that you only gave the
    password out to a few people.

    My question still stands though: who will you give the password to? For
    example, would you feel I was skilled enough? I've never ascended, and
    in fact have never seen the wizard or finished the Quest, but I know
    probably enough to ascend, I just don't play enough.
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    <snip>
    >
    > The success of the NAO RR idea seems to be doomed to fail as long as
    the
    > character-kill-rate is so high. Indeed disheartening (as you called
    it)
    > for the experienced players, and not very motivating to start a new
    game.
    >
    > For the less experienced players there's no point in playing a high
    level
    > game, which they can not handle. (There's also explore mode for
    that.)
    >
    > OTOH, it's also not the best approach to exclude less experienced
    players
    > (even complete novices). Neither it serves the idea of RR to build
    secret
    > circles that pass passwords from one player to the next.
    >
    > I see two possibilities (the second inspired by your wording
    above)...
    >
    > 1.) Build up a few RR groups, each one defining it's experience/skill
    > level; people join the most appropriate group.
    >
    > 2.) We stay with one group, and people who are noticing that the game
    > has advanced significantly beyond their capability abstain.
    >
    > Kind of a Code of Conduct.
    >
    > What do you think?

    How about option 3.) people who are unsure should play while on IRC,
    prefarably with someone who have already participated in the RoundRobin
    already, so that they can be kibitzed (is that a word?) liberally? I
    like the idea of 'community' game and this will even push the community
    aspect of this idea further. We can even mock the player who YASDed
    the RoundRobin character (in jest, of course).

    -K

    >
    > Janis
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Rast wrote:
    > My preferred cutoff would be that only people who have ascended
    > previously be given the password.
    >

    Well.... in all honesty, I can't reall argue with your view point much
    at all. So in closing, look for my YAFAP =)

    -777
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    777 wrote on 13 May 2005 08:58:11 -0700:
    >
    > micromoog wrote:

    > > Time to explore that "emailing-the-password-around" option.
    >
    > So, what you want is an elitist group that will take turns playing on a
    > single account?

    That is starting to sound very good.

    > My question still stands though: who will you give the password to? For
    > example, would you feel I was skilled enough? I've never ascended, and
    > in fact have never seen the wizard or finished the Quest, but I know
    > probably enough to ascend, I just don't play enough.

    My preferred cutoff would be that only people who have ascended
    previously be given the password.

    Another poster suggested that players refrain from playing once the game
    reaches to areas they are not experienced with. Unfortunately, those
    most likely to die uselessly are those least likely to recognize that the
    game has advanced to a point where they should not be playing. Also, it
    seems a bit mean to tell a new player who has run the character in the
    shallow parts of the dungeon, "Sorry, now that we've reached the quest
    you can't play until after one of the Chosen Players has ascended or
    YASDed."


    --
    "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
    am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
    commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Rast wrote:
    >
    > It was nearly inevitable that a player who is unable to advance a
    > character to point X on his own, but wishes to experience point X, would
    > restore the game at point X, and promptly die.
    >
    > It is rather disheartening that in this case point X was "saving the game
    > properly".

    Hmm..

    The success of the NAO RR idea seems to be doomed to fail as long as the
    character-kill-rate is so high. Indeed disheartening (as you called it)
    for the experienced players, and not very motivating to start a new game.

    For the less experienced players there's no point in playing a high level
    game, which they can not handle. (There's also explore mode for that.)

    OTOH, it's also not the best approach to exclude less experienced players
    (even complete novices). Neither it serves the idea of RR to build secret
    circles that pass passwords from one player to the next.

    I see two possibilities (the second inspired by your wording above)...

    1.) Build up a few RR groups, each one defining it's experience/skill
    level; people join the most appropriate group.

    2.) We stay with one group, and people who are noticing that the game
    has advanced significantly beyond their capability abstain.

    Kind of a Code of Conduct.

    What do you think?

    Janis
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 5/13/05 11:58 AM, 777 wrote:
    > micromoog wrote:
    >
    >>ihope wrote:
    >
    >>>
    >
    >> Looks like this idea lasted one (1) day before being ruined by
    >> trolls. Time to explore that "emailing-the-password-around"
    >> option.
    >
    > So, what you want is an elitist group that will take turns playing on a
    > single account? Do you have some criteria on how people will make the
    > team and who will get cut?

    Knowing how to use such basic game functions as Save would be a start.
    You may notice the word "trolls" in the message to which you are
    responding. It's quite possible that "ihope" who Quit the game did so on
    purpose, just to screw with everyone. If there's a pool, my money's on
    WavyG as ihope's altar ego.

    On the other hand, he (or she) may simply have been a complete noob who
    hasn't played much at all before, in which case he should have gotten
    some practice on his own games before screwing around with a community one.


    --
    Kevin Wayne

    "Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
    their souls." --Steve Hindalong
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 5/13/05 2:29 PM, Rast wrote:

    > My preferred cutoff would be that only people who have ascended
    > previously be given the password.
    >
    > Another poster suggested that players refrain from playing once the game
    > reaches to areas they are not experienced with. Unfortunately, those
    > most likely to die uselessly are those least likely to recognize that the
    > game has advanced to a point where they should not be playing. Also, it
    > seems a bit mean to tell a new player who has run the character in the
    > shallow parts of the dungeon, "Sorry, now that we've reached the quest
    > you can't play until after one of the Chosen Players has ascended or
    > YASDed."
    >
    I don't know that either of these options is necessary, mainly because
    it's not immediately obvious to me that the game gets progressively
    harder from beginning to end. I think a lot of players who have played a
    lot but haven't beaten the Quest yet could easily run through much of
    Gehennom with a castle-wand-tricked-out character.

    On the other hand, weeding out complete noobs and trolls is the only way
    to give the endeavor any hope of success.

    --
    Kevin Wayne

    "Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
    their souls." --Steve Hindalong
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Kevin Wayne" <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:Hqehe.5030$Cz3.640516@monger.newsread.com...

    > it's not immediately obvious to me that the game gets progressively
    > harder from beginning to end.

    That's a very valid point. The post-Castle game is easier than the
    pre-Castle by a magnitude of several hundred. I've had thousands of
    characters bite it in the Gnomish Mines; I've had less than a dozen die
    post-Castle. That's not just a function of not getting past the Castle
    much, either, as I've ascended somewhere around 40 times, and lately my
    ascension rate seems to be roughly around 1 in 5 or so.

    The Astral Plane can occasionally be tricky, but barring Demogorgon,
    Gehennom is almost brainlessly easy, which is why I use the Heck Patch -
    happening upon Demo's Lair actually gives me a thrill because I know I can
    actually be challenged. I really hope that patch gets put in the next
    official release.
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 5/14/05 12:06 AM, JC wrote:
    > I use the Heck Patch - happening upon Demo's Lair actually gives me a
    > thrill because I know I can actually be challenged. I really hope
    > that patch gets put in the next official release.

    I like the Heck patch too. It's a good *start* on reworking Gehennom.

    --
    Kevin Wayne

    "Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
    their souls." --Steve Hindalong
Ask a new question

Read More

Login Games Robin Video Games