can XP pro be used on more than 1 computer

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 27, 2004 5:33:35 PM

Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in my
house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
drive.

captainkrunch

More about : pro computer

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 8:47:47 PM

"CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
> Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in
> my
> house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
> new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
> drive.

The license is for use on a SINGLE computer.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:41:05 AM

"CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
| Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in
my
| house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
| new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
| drive.
|
| captainkrunch

<<I am thinking that my new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd
but rather on the hard drive.>>

Exactly how many times do you have to be told that your Dell PC will come
with XP preloaded and on CD (for restoration) - yes BOTH.

Maybe another poster will need to repeat this before you quit asking the
same question repeatedly.
August 28, 2004 1:48:42 AM

CaptainKrunch <nobody@nothing.com> wrote:
> Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in my
> house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
> new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
> drive.

> captainkrunch

I received an OEM version of Windows XP for all three Dells I've bought.
I'm licensed (and so should you!) for Pro, but I've rebuilt the OS on
each of these machines using any of the three OEM CDs I got. I was
never asked for a serial number.

So...
1) You can install an OEM version on similar Dells (Lat,Dim 4550, Dim 4600)
2) Dunno about vastly different Dells (does age count?)
3) The registration in XP looks to be suspended in the OEM version
4) This doesn't mean other sneaky things aren't going on
5) The OEM version has added functionality to check if the computer
is a Dell. It won't work on other equipment, say an Intel 865 board.

Like I said, I'm licensed for this and really haven't made it a point
to rip off Microsoft. So I haven't tried ghosting an image or swapping
drives or any of the other convoluted sneaky ways. But I'd imagine
like all other things, the piracy protection can be defeated.

You should pay for software. Even for Microsoft stuff, the people
who legalized their own piracy but slaps the hands of others.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:52:14 AM

.... but the "restore" CD which comes with the 2400 (at least it came in the box
in the past) can be used to install XP Home on another computer. As the man
says, you need a valid license and unique Micro$oft Certificate of
Authentication code to complete the installation and jump through the on-line
registration hoops.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:47:47 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

>"CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
>> Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in
>> my
>> house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
>> new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
>> drive.
>>

>The license is for use on a SINGLE computer.

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:52:48 AM

"CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
| Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in
my
| house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
| new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
| drive.
|
| captainkrunch

And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and install it
on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not Dells.
The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will only
install on a Dell PC.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:25:44 AM

actually the dell windows xp restore cd will install fine on any computer
that meets the minimum hardware requirements for xp (processor speed,
memory, disk space). the 'bios lock' that you mention relates only to the
'activation' of the windows xp software. when the dell supplied 'restore
cd' is used for installation on (most) dell pcs, windows xp will not require
activation if the installation was started with booting from the cd. on
non-dell pcs you will be asked to enter a valid serial number to activate
windows xp (and you have 30 days to activate after which windows will not
start unless you do). if the serial number had previously been used for
activation then you will not be able to activate over the internet but will
be required to call microsoft for the activation code. the serial number on
the side of your new dell computer has not been used yet since the dell pc
came pre-loaded with xp and did not require activation. the licence is
meant to be used on a single pc but the reality is that a person that wants
to pirate (steal) the software there really isn't anything stoping them.
they will have to directly state to the microsoft telephone activation
person that it is only installed on one computer... but can do so without
providing any personal information. funny how people that would not even
think of stealing from a store can feel ok about doing it from the comfort
of their own home... also, many new dell's are not shipping without the
restore cd. there currently is a check box in the system configuration tool
to select the operating system 'with media' (meaning with a cd) or without.
ultimately they will probably stop shipping the restore cds altogether.
that is what microsoft would like to happen anyway.

"LynnR" <iggier63@yahoo.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

> "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
> | Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers
in
> my
> | house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that
my
> | new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the
hard
> | drive.
> |
> | captainkrunch
> |

> And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and install
it
> on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not
Dells.
> The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will only
> install on a Dell PC.

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:25:45 AM

Not true for all of the OEM XP discs (and ME as well) I have the Dell
OEM XP disc that was offered as an upgrade from ME. I didn't use it
since I actually like ME better But I decided to see what it was like so
I decided to install it on an IBM I had just to see what would happen.
It refused to install. It got to just before the serial number and put
up a message that basically said This Computer is not a Dell and this
software cannot be installed. This happened with both upgrade and clean
installs.
--
Steve Williams

> [...]
> > | Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other
computers
> in
> > my
> > | house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking
that
> my
> > | new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on
the
> hard
> > | drive.
> > |
> > | captainkrunch
> > |

> > And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and
install
> it
> > on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not
> Dells.
> > The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will

August 28, 2004 9:17:21 AM

to be clear, i was referring to the dell windows xp *professional* restore
cd as asked about by the original poster. i suspect that your comments are
about windows xp *home*.

"Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> without.
> > ultimately they will probably stop shipping the restore cds
> altogether.
> > that is what microsoft would like to happen anyway.
> >
> > "LynnR" <iggier63@yahoo.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
> computers
> > in
> > > my
> that
> > my
> the
> > hard

> > > And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and
> install
> > it
> > > on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not
> > Dells.
> > > The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will

August 28, 2004 10:48:11 AM

Doesn't matter. XP Home and XP Pro from Dell work the same. Just different
colors!

Tom
> to be clear, i was referring to the dell windows xp *professional* restore
> cd as asked about by the original poster. i suspect that your comments
> are
> about windows xp *home*.
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 5:52:11 PM

tom, i have seen early dell xp home restore cds that behaved as steve w
suggests. namely that they stop installing on non-dell pcs and present you
with a message stating that the cd is meant for use on dell computers only.
just like the windows 2000 professional cds did. but this thread was about
xp professional anyway...

> Doesn't matter. XP Home and XP Pro from Dell work the same. Just
different
> colors!
>
> Tom
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > to be clear, i was referring to the dell windows xp *professional*
restore
> > cd as asked about by the original poster. i suspect that your comments
> > are
> > about windows xp *home*.

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 5:52:12 PM

Interesting. I've only tried it with XP.

Tom
> tom, i have seen early dell xp home restore cds that behaved as steve w
> suggests. namely that they stop installing on non-dell pcs and present you
> with a message stating that the cd is meant for use on dell computers
> only.
> just like the windows 2000 professional cds did. but this thread was about
> xp professional anyway...

>> Doesn't matter. XP Home and XP Pro from Dell work the same. Just
> different
>> colors!
>>
>> Tom
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> > to be clear, i was referring to the dell windows xp *professional*
> restore
>> > cd as asked about by the original poster. i suspect that your comments
>> > are
>> > about windows xp *home*.

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 9:49:15 PM

fwiw, the work around for installing a dell windows 2000 professional
restore cd on a non-dell pc was to create a set of boot floppy disks from
the makeboot utility found in the bootdisk folder on the cd and then replace
the setupldr.exe file found on the first of the four floppy disk set with
the 224kb file of the same name found on a generic windows 2000 professional
cd. never bothered to figure out the work around for the dell windows xp
home restore cd and do not believe it is an issue with the newer ones. no
issue with any of the dell windows xp professional restore cds.

> Interesting. I've only tried it with XP.
>
> Tom
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > tom, i have seen early dell xp home restore cds that behaved as steve w
> > suggests. namely that they stop installing on non-dell pcs and present
you
> > with a message stating that the cd is meant for use on dell computers
> > only.
> > just like the windows 2000 professional cds did. but this thread was
about
> > xp professional anyway...
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >> Doesn't matter. XP Home and XP Pro from Dell work the same. Just
> > different
> >> colors!
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > restore

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:28:13 AM

That's not true, or at least it wasn't with Windows98. I've installed that
on all the machines I've built after my Dimension XPS-T died. It installed
without problem.

> "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
> | Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers
> in
> my
> | house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that
> my
> | new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the
> hard
> | drive.
> |
> | captainkrunch
> |

> And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and install
> it
> on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not
> Dells.
> The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will only
> install on a Dell PC.

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 9:57:25 AM

Two things:

1) Correct, Windows 98 did not require activation
2) For every copy past the first one, you are stealing.

Tom

!