can XP pro be used on more than 1 computer

Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in my
house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
drive.

captainkrunch
14 answers Last reply
More about computer

    "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    > Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in
    > my
    > house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
    > new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
    > drive.

    The license is for use on a SINGLE computer.

    "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    | Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in
    my
    | house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
    | new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
    | drive.
    |
    | captainkrunch

    <<I am thinking that my new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd
    but rather on the hard drive.>>

    Exactly how many times do you have to be told that your Dell PC will come
    with XP preloaded and on CD (for restoration) - yes BOTH.

    Maybe another poster will need to repeat this before you quit asking the
    same question repeatedly.

    CaptainKrunch <nobody@nothing.com> wrote:
    > Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in my
    > house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
    > new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
    > drive.

    > captainkrunch

    I received an OEM version of Windows XP for all three Dells I've bought.
    I'm licensed (and so should you!) for Pro, but I've rebuilt the OS on
    each of these machines using any of the three OEM CDs I got. I was
    never asked for a serial number.

    So...
    1) You can install an OEM version on similar Dells (Lat,Dim 4550, Dim 4600)
    2) Dunno about vastly different Dells (does age count?)
    3) The registration in XP looks to be suspended in the OEM version
    4) This doesn't mean other sneaky things aren't going on
    5) The OEM version has added functionality to check if the computer
    is a Dell. It won't work on other equipment, say an Intel 865 board.

    Like I said, I'm licensed for this and really haven't made it a point
    to rip off Microsoft. So I haven't tried ghosting an image or swapping
    drives or any of the other convoluted sneaky ways. But I'd imagine
    like all other things, the piracy protection can be defeated.

    You should pay for software. Even for Microsoft stuff, the people
    who legalized their own piracy but slaps the hands of others.

    .... but the "restore" CD which comes with the 2400 (at least it came in the box
    in the past) can be used to install XP Home on another computer. As the man
    says, you need a valid license and unique Micro$oft Certificate of
    Authentication code to complete the installation and jump through the on-line
    registration hoops.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:47:47 -0400, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

    >"CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    >> Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in
    >> my
    >> house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
    >> new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
    >> drive.
    >>

    >The license is for use on a SINGLE computer.

    "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    | Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers in
    my
    | house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that my
    | new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the hard
    | drive.
    |
    | captainkrunch

    And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and install it
    on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not Dells.
    The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will only
    install on a Dell PC.

    actually the dell windows xp restore cd will install fine on any computer
    that meets the minimum hardware requirements for xp (processor speed,
    memory, disk space). the 'bios lock' that you mention relates only to the
    'activation' of the windows xp software. when the dell supplied 'restore
    cd' is used for installation on (most) dell pcs, windows xp will not require
    activation if the installation was started with booting from the cd. on
    non-dell pcs you will be asked to enter a valid serial number to activate
    windows xp (and you have 30 days to activate after which windows will not
    start unless you do). if the serial number had previously been used for
    activation then you will not be able to activate over the internet but will
    be required to call microsoft for the activation code. the serial number on
    the side of your new dell computer has not been used yet since the dell pc
    came pre-loaded with xp and did not require activation. the licence is
    meant to be used on a single pc but the reality is that a person that wants
    to pirate (steal) the software there really isn't anything stoping them.
    they will have to directly state to the microsoft telephone activation
    person that it is only installed on one computer... but can do so without
    providing any personal information. funny how people that would not even
    think of stealing from a store can feel ok about doing it from the comfort
    of their own home... also, many new dell's are not shipping without the
    restore cd. there currently is a check box in the system configuration tool
    to select the operating system 'with media' (meaning with a cd) or without.
    ultimately they will probably stop shipping the restore cds altogether.
    that is what microsoft would like to happen anyway.

    "LynnR" <iggier63@yahoo.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

    > "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    > | Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers
    in
    > my
    > | house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that
    my
    > | new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the
    hard
    > | drive.
    > |
    > | captainkrunch
    > |

    > And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and install
    it
    > on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not
    Dells.
    > The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will only
    > install on a Dell PC.

    Not true for all of the OEM XP discs (and ME as well) I have the Dell
    OEM XP disc that was offered as an upgrade from ME. I didn't use it
    since I actually like ME better But I decided to see what it was like so
    I decided to install it on an IBM I had just to see what would happen.
    It refused to install. It got to just before the serial number and put
    up a message that basically said This Computer is not a Dell and this
    software cannot be installed. This happened with both upgrade and clean
    installs.
    --
    Steve Williams

> [...]
    > > | Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other
    computers
    > in
    > > my
    > > | house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking
    that
    > my
    > > | new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on
    the
    > hard
    > > | drive.
    > > |
    > > | captainkrunch
    > > |

    > > And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and
    install
    > it
    > > on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not
    > Dells.
    > > The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will

    to be clear, i was referring to the dell windows xp *professional* restore
    cd as asked about by the original poster. i suspect that your comments are
    about windows xp *home*.

    "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
> [...]
    > without.
    > > ultimately they will probably stop shipping the restore cds
    > altogether.
    > > that is what microsoft would like to happen anyway.
    > >
    > > "LynnR" <iggier63@yahoo.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    > computers
    > > in
    > > > my
    > that
    > > my
    > the
    > > hard

    > > > And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and
    > install
    > > it
    > > > on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not
    > > Dells.
    > > > The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will

    Doesn't matter. XP Home and XP Pro from Dell work the same. Just different
    colors!

    Tom
    > to be clear, i was referring to the dell windows xp *professional* restore
    > cd as asked about by the original poster. i suspect that your comments
    > are
    > about windows xp *home*.

    tom, i have seen early dell xp home restore cds that behaved as steve w
    suggests. namely that they stop installing on non-dell pcs and present you
    with a message stating that the cd is meant for use on dell computers only.
    just like the windows 2000 professional cds did. but this thread was about
    xp professional anyway...

    > Doesn't matter. XP Home and XP Pro from Dell work the same. Just
    different
    > colors!
    >
    > Tom
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > to be clear, i was referring to the dell windows xp *professional*
    restore
    > > cd as asked about by the original poster. i suspect that your comments
    > > are
    > > about windows xp *home*.

    Interesting. I've only tried it with XP.

    Tom
    > tom, i have seen early dell xp home restore cds that behaved as steve w
    > suggests. namely that they stop installing on non-dell pcs and present you
    > with a message stating that the cd is meant for use on dell computers
    > only.
    > just like the windows 2000 professional cds did. but this thread was about
    > xp professional anyway...

    >> Doesn't matter. XP Home and XP Pro from Dell work the same. Just
    > different
    >> colors!
    >>
    >> Tom
    >> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> > to be clear, i was referring to the dell windows xp *professional*
    > restore
    >> > cd as asked about by the original poster. i suspect that your comments
    >> > are
    >> > about windows xp *home*.

    fwiw, the work around for installing a dell windows 2000 professional
    restore cd on a non-dell pc was to create a set of boot floppy disks from
    the makeboot utility found in the bootdisk folder on the cd and then replace
    the setupldr.exe file found on the first of the four floppy disk set with
    the 224kb file of the same name found on a generic windows 2000 professional
    cd. never bothered to figure out the work around for the dell windows xp
    home restore cd and do not believe it is an issue with the newer ones. no
    issue with any of the dell windows xp professional restore cds.

    > Interesting. I've only tried it with XP.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > tom, i have seen early dell xp home restore cds that behaved as steve w
    > > suggests. namely that they stop installing on non-dell pcs and present
    you
    > > with a message stating that the cd is meant for use on dell computers
    > > only.
    > > just like the windows 2000 professional cds did. but this thread was
    about
    > > xp professional anyway...
    > >
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > >> Doesn't matter. XP Home and XP Pro from Dell work the same. Just
    > > different
    > >> colors!
    > >>
    > >> Tom
    > >> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > restore

    That's not true, or at least it wasn't with Windows98. I've installed that
    on all the machines I've built after my Dimension XPS-T died. It installed
    without problem.

    > "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    > | Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers
    > in
    > my
    > | house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that
    > my
    > | new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the
    > hard
    > | drive.
    > |
    > | captainkrunch
    > |

    > And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and install
    > it
    > on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not
    > Dells.
    > The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will only
    > install on a Dell PC.

    Two things:

    1) Correct, Windows 98 did not require activation
    2) For every copy past the first one, you are stealing.

    Tom
    "Guess Who" <chippe01@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > That's not true, or at least it wasn't with Windows98. I've installed
    > that on all the machines I've built after my Dimension XPS-T died. It
    > installed without problem.
    >
    > "LynnR" <iggier63@yahoo.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    >> | Can XP pro, that is coming on my new 2400, be used for other computers
    >> in
    >> my
    >> | house or does each one require a separate version. I am thinking that
    >> my
    >> | new computer will not come with the XP pro on a cd but rather on the
    >> hard
    >> | drive.
    >> |
    >> | captainkrunch
    >> |

    >> And one more thing, even if you were to misuse the XP license and install
    >> it
    >> on multiple PCs, you will have difficulty if those other PCs are not
    >> Dells.
    >> The XP CD distributed with a Dell system is BIOS-locked and will only
    >> install on a Dell PC.

Dell Computer Windows XP Computers