Im puzzled, home networking problems with xp professional

Heres my gripe that ive been trying to fix all day which has frustrated me to
no end.

Here is the problem...

I have just built a computer and installed windows xp pro, well after
updating to service pack 1 and etc I took my rig to a friends house to have a
lan party. It was then that I started having problems. It seemed to crash his
network, my computer when hooked up killed the internet connection. Whats
puzzling is we run a program called teamspeak, which didnt loose its
connection, i can still ping out to sites like google but Internet explorer
still dosnt load any webpage. Only thing i can think of is pro is trying to
act like a server, and its blocking certain ports, or screwing up the router.
Like i have said it has frustrated me to no end and has anyone else
encountered this problem? one last thing it seems to run fine when hooked
directly up to my dsl box(after i did a fresh reinstall which didnt solve the
problem, im thinking its a setting or something thats getting to me but i
dont have the windows knowledge to know what it is)

Sorry didnt mean to double post, said there was an error with this one so
figured it didnt post oh well both posts about the same problem are me.