problem using two-weapon combat

Last response: in Video Games
May 12, 2005 6:58:01 AM

I can't figure out how to put the 2nd weapon in my off hand. I do
#twoweapon and it enables/disables it. I try just wielding, which
switches between weapons in my main hand. I've tried the x and it
switches the weapons only. I've read through the guide and command lists
a bunch of times. What am I missing?

And yes, I am playing a class with two-weapon style. It occured the
first time I played a samurai that a nymph stole both my weapons, and I
couldn't get them both wielded again. I've been avoiding two-weapon
classes like the plague since, and would like to have them as an option
again.

More about : problem weapon combat

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 10:30:55 AM

"mserley" <michaelserley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I can't figure out how to put the 2nd weapon in my off hand. I do
>#twoweapon and it enables/disables it. I try just wielding, which switches
>between weapons in my main hand. I've tried the x and it switches the
>weapons only. I've read through the guide and command lists a bunch of
>times. What am I missing?
>
> And yes, I am playing a class with two-weapon style. It occured the first
> time I played a samurai that a nymph stole both my weapons, and I couldn't
> get them both wielded again. I've been avoiding two-weapon classes like
> the plague since, and would like to have them as an option again.

w a-a +o katana
w b-the +o Excalibur
#twoweapon

Danny
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 10:30:56 AM

Daniel Morris wrote:

> "mserley" <michaelserley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I can't figure out how to put the 2nd weapon in my off hand.
>
> w a-a +o katana
> w b-the +o Excalibur
> #twoweapon
>
> Danny

Thank you, that helps a lot. The question that answer led to:
does it matter which weapon is in hand and which is in other hand?
After having done it a couple times, I'm guessing the way to ensure
the one you want is in hand is for it to be the last wielded..

Wield wakizashi
xchange
wield katana
#twoweapon

That puts katana in hand and wakizashi other hand every time?
May 12, 2005 11:50:13 AM

mserley wrote:
<snip>
> Thank you, that helps a lot. The question that answer led to:
> does it matter which weapon is in hand and which is in other hand?
> After having done it a couple times, I'm guessing the way to ensure
> the one you want is in hand is for it to be the last wielded..

Also remember that your main weapon hits first. In a rare case (Say,
your main weapon is a lance) if your main weapon knock the monster back
or destroyed, then your secondary weapon does not hit at all. Also,
your main weapon goes through the 'to-hit' check, but your secondary
weapon does not. So it's important for your main weapon to have good
chance of hitting, but not so for your secondary weapon.

In general, you should have your 'better' weapon in the main hand, and
off hand weapon should be the lesser one.

> Wield wakizashi
> xchange
> wield katana
> #twoweapon
>
> That puts katana in hand and wakizashi other hand every time?

I think so. If you are unsure, right before you #twoweapon, you should
check your i)nventory and see which one is your main weapon and which
one is the backup, and if they are not in the right order, x)change to
swap them around.

-K
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 5:11:29 PM

On Thu, 12 May 2005, mserley wrote:

> Daniel Morris wrote:
>
> > "mserley" <michaelserley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I can't figure out how to put the 2nd weapon in my off hand.
> >
> > w a-a +o katana
> > w b-the +o Excalibur
> > #twoweapon
> >
> > Danny
> >
> Thank you, that helps a lot. The question that answer led to:
> does it matter which weapon is in hand and which is in other hand?

Yes. Among other, artifact weapon cannot (in nethack) be wielded as second
weapon and won't provide their benefits (eg resistance for the brands)
when wielded as second weapon in slash'em.

> After having done it a couple times, I'm guessing the way to ensure
> the one you want is in hand is for it to be the last wielded..
>
> Wield wakizashi
> xchange
> wield katana
> #twoweapon
>
> That puts katana in hand and wakizashi other hand every time?

Yes. The first hand weapon is the one you're wielding when you start
#twoweaponning. The second-hand weapon is the one that was in the
'alternate weapon; not wielded' slot before #twoweaponning.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 8:19:10 PM

On 5/12/05 10:50 AM, Kremti wrote:

> Also remember that your main weapon hits first. In a rare case (Say,
> your main weapon is a lance) if your main weapon knock the monster back
> or destroyed, then your secondary weapon does not hit at all. Also,
> your main weapon goes through the 'to-hit' check, but your secondary
> weapon does not. So it's important for your main weapon to have good
> chance of hitting, but not so for your secondary weapon.
>
> In general, you should have your 'better' weapon in the main hand, and
> off hand weapon should be the lesser one.

Also, weap-343.txt has the details, but basically, your chance to hit is
based on the worse of your primary weapon skill and your twoweapon
skill, with an additional penalty if twoweaponing (or riding) while
poorly skilled (in twoweaponing or riding).

Most players advocate getting practicing your primary weapon until you
get skilled in it, and only then switching to twoweaponing. While
twoweaponing, you exercise your twoweaponing skill, but not your skill
in an individual weapon.

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 9:24:57 PM

Kremti wrote:

> Also, your main weapon goes through the 'to-hit' check, but your
> secondary weapon does not. So it's important for your main weapon to
> have good chance of hitting, but not so for your secondary weapon.

Which means, in effect, that when your first weapon hits, your second
hits automatically as well, and if your first weapon misses, the second
does so also.

Note that you can only practice with your weapons whilst wielding only
one weapon, and your chance to hit is determined by the lowest of your
two weapon skill and the skill you have in your first weapon.

As for the interface for twoweaponing, note that when you have the
"pushweapon" option selected, wielding a weapon automatically pushes
your current weapon into the secondary slot. So:
wa
wb
#twoweapon
would first wield weapon a in your primary slot, then wield b in your
primary slot and move a to your secondary slot, and finally start your
twoweaponing.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).