core_ wrote:

> So, I was playing NetHack. I was on Dungeon Level 1 and fell
> own a trap door. Problem was, the trap door fell into the gold
> vault! I grabbed all the gold and wandered around for a while.
> I had a scroll lying around, unfortunately it was a monster
> confusion scroll. The guard then came in, and what else could
> I do but try and attack him. The monster confusion scroll delayed
> my death, and I died with 1132 points I believe.
>
> - --

Did you not know what the guard was pursuing you for? Do you usually
attack a police officer before hearing him out?! ...

core wrote:

> So, I was playing NetHack. I was on Dungeon Level 1 and fell down a trap
> door. Problem was, the trap door fell into the gold vault! I grabbed all
> the gold and wandered around for a while. I had a scroll lying around,
> unfortunately it was a monster confusion scroll. The guard then came in,
> and what else could I do but try and attack him.

How about "_not_ try and attack him"? ...

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

core_ <danonqspam@pnotspamd.net> wrote:

> So, I was playing NetHack. I was on Dungeon Level 1 and fell down a trap
> door. Problem was, the trap door fell into the gold vault! I grabbed all
> the gold and wandered around for a while. I had a scroll lying around,
> unfortunately it was a monster confusion scroll. The guard then came in,
> and what else could I do but try and attack him. The monster confusion
> scroll delayed my death, and I died with 1132 points I believe.

Spoiler:...

You could have dropped the gold, and followed the vault guard out.

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
>> core wrote:
>
>>> door. Problem was, the trap door fell into the gold vault! I grabbed
>>> all the gold and wandered around for a while. I had a scroll lying
>>> around, unfortunately it was a monster confusion scroll. The guard then
>>> came in,
>
>> How about "_not_ try and attack him"? ...
>
> The problem is that trying NOT to attack the guard may be hard when
> you're confused and try to follow him out. (It's been a long time since
> I last followed the guard out, and I don't remember whether it REALLY is
> hard or not..)

If you mean the OP's *character* was confused, I don't get that from his
post. It's not hard to follow the guard out if you're not confused; I do
it all the time. Once he moves away from you, just step towards him.
Wait until he steps away again. Repeat.

--

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:

> > > The problem is that trying NOT to attack the guard may be hard
when
> > > you're confused and try to follow him out. (It's been a long
time since

> > If you mean the OP's *character* was confused, I don't get that
from his

> Oops, you're right. I either misread "monster confusion" or was
otherwise
> distracted.

Or possibly Jukka was punched in the face with OP's red hand.

> > post. It's not hard to follow the guard out if you're not
confused; I do
> > it all the time. Once he moves away from you, just step towards
him.
> > Wait until he steps away again. Repeat.
>
> Like I said, I haven't done that recently. I don't step on vault
> teleporters before I can dig my way out and haven't had the accident
of
> getting dropped to one through a trap door since a time too long to
> remember.

That has never happened to me either. Also, why would you want to kill
the guard when you don't have the way to get out the vault yourself...

Good luck next time to OP :D

-K

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> Like I said, I haven't [deliberately stepped on a vault 'porter]
> recently. I don't step on vault teleporters before I can dig my way out
> and haven't had the accident of getting dropped to one through a trap
> door since a time too long to remember.

I do it occasionally either just for fun, or if I suspect I haven't found
all the rooms in the level yet. It's rare, but occasionally the guard has
led me to an unexplored section.