First of all, I must say that the new way of playing on N.A.O is much much
better - when I suggested the idea, I was not really aware of server games,
but soon leant after problems people had with different operating systems
etc.

I have been watching a few games, and have learnt more by watching other
people play than I have for a long time, particulary in respect to
discipline about naming things by price for later identification - hmmm....I
think to myself this could be spoily!?!?!?!

My suggestion is, so that Round Robin threads don't get too disjointed, a
new one is started for each game with [RR] at the start of the subject line
(and for any Round Robin threads) so people who are not interested can
filter them out.

Another thing I would like to know (and please dont get upset
traditionalists!) is can the games be played or viewed on N.A.O with
tiles? - I don't really mind either way, but would like to find out.

Round Robin seems to have taken off well since it went on N.A.O. - long may
it continue!

I may even get my first ascension if somebody saves 1 turn away from
ascending!

Cheers, Dave

Dave Hammond wrote:
> First of all, I must say that the new way of playing on N.A.O is much
much
> better - when I suggested the idea, I was not really aware of server
games,
> but soon leant after problems people had with different operating
systems
> etc.

I also like the possibility of being able to have the game viewed while
being played, AND the possibility of actually talking to people on IRC
while its being played. Makes somewhat-solitary NH experience into a
community one.

Passing around the save file does have its merit though. I think we
can have both of them going.

-K

Dave Hammond wrote:

> Another thing I would like to know (and please dont get upset
> traditionalists!) is can the games be played or viewed on N.A.O with
> tiles? - I don't really mind either way, but would like to find out.

I think someone wrote a custom telnet client that can do this. I'm afraid
I don't have the link, but you can probably find it by googling this
newsgroup.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> Dave Hammond wrote:
>
>> Another thing I would like to know (and please dont get upset
>> traditionalists!) is can the games be played or viewed on N.A.O with
>> tiles? - I don't really mind either way, but would like to find out.
>
> I think someone wrote a custom telnet client that can do this. I'm
> afraid I don't have the link, but you can probably find it by googling
> this newsgroup.

I think this was it:

http://www.geocities.com/jdhilts@sbcglobal.net/

"With the help of server admins, this experience can be fully enjoyed.
They need to apply a small patch required by the client to retrieve the
correct tile corresponding to a symbol. Without the patch, the client
still functions, but any features that don't uniquely correspond to a tile
are rendered as their ASCII form."

--

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>
> I think this was it:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/jdhilts@sbcglobal.net/
>
> "With the help of server admins, this experience can be fully enjoyed.
> They need to apply a small patch required by the client to retrieve the
> correct tile corresponding to a symbol. Without the patch, the client
> still functions, but any features that don't uniquely correspond to a tile
> are rendered as their ASCII form."

It's a shame the spirit of sharing in which Nethack is offered did not
inspire the author of that client to do the same in turn with the
client. I have no desire to run a MS-Windows executable on my network
for the purpose of seeing what it looks like. It would be nice to have
it spelled out on the page that it is binary-only for Win32, and who
knows, it could even save some bandwidth ;)

-Ken

Ken Cuvelier wrote:
> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/jdhilts@sbcglobal.net/
>>
>> "With the help of server admins, this experience can be fully enjoyed.
>> They need to apply a small patch required by the client to retrieve the
>> correct tile corresponding to a symbol. Without the patch, the client
>> still functions, but any features that don't uniquely correspond to a
>> tile are rendered as their ASCII form."
>
> It's a shame the spirit of sharing in which Nethack is offered did not
> inspire the author of that client to do the same in turn with the
> client. I have no desire to run a MS-Windows executable on my network
> for the purpose of seeing what it looks like. It would be nice to have
> it spelled out on the page that it is binary-only for Win32, and who
> knows, it could even save some bandwidth ;)

Sorry; didn't even think to look. I should have realized it was Windoze
only, considering that it didn't specify.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

JC

"Benjamin Lewis" <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote in message

> "With the help of server admins, this experience can be fully enjoyed.
> They need to apply a small patch required by the client to retrieve the
> correct tile corresponding to a symbol. Without the patch, the client
> still functions, but any features that don't uniquely correspond to a tile
> are rendered as their ASCII form."

I can't seem to get it to work on NAO. Tried running it from within my
NetHack directory, still didn't display tiles, and tended to freeze up.