Computer retailers are morons!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
The retailers in australia are morons...
ever see typos like this?

pIII-866Gb .....(gigabyte???)
Athlon 1300C.....(bzzzz thats 1333 u moron)
WD sub 7200rpm 20gig drive ......(thats 5400 to us)
64Mb Ram PC133/PC100 price = 75/65 .....(okay, why is the slower one more expensive?)
even when i went to get my new 40g 60gxp drive i was looking for the 60gig version... i almost caught them trying to push me into buying the 60gig 75GXP...but not saying that is was the 75GXP of course.

anybody else have a poor opinion/examples of shoddy stores/salespersons?

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
It's not just in Australia, computer retailers suck everywhere. Most of them have no idea what they're talking about, they just try to sell you the most expensive stuff (or in some cases, sell you crap at a high price).

That's why I do all of my computer parts shopping on the Internet. Not only is the selection better, the prices are better, and they also give you more detailed specs on items, so you know what you're buying.

I made the mistake of buying a computer case from CompUSA once (boy what an idiot I was). It's the worst case I've ever owned. Hot, cramped and complete with a horrible power supply...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well i'm starting my own company. So users like us can haul gateway, compaq, and dell's A$$. Computers shops have no clue. Most are sold out to AMD or INTEL and always are sold out to nvidia. Some guy told me to upgrade my P3 733 w/ Radeon to an Athlon 800 w/ Geforce2 gts. I told the guy many times im happy with it and the reason i went there was to get or order a FOP38.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Typical... mostly those pre-built systems are with very odd specs, too. Typical configuration from biggest local computer builder in my country (they promote those everywhere): P4/1.5Ghz, 128Mb PC-600 RIMM's, 10Gb HDD (probably Quantum ict20, 4500 RPM w. 128Kb cache), cheapest ATI Rage128 v.card, on-board sndcard, no-name 48X CD-ROM etc... ~$1250 w.o. monitor. They say that's suppose to perfect computer for gamers... No comments....

G

PC World ...Need I say more

if at first you don't succeed , destroy all evidence that you ever tried...

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thats why my company is going to make it. Beside's i only make stable and fast systems. Well when i get a bigger staff then thing will start to pick up. I'm Solo right now.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

Good luck to you , Myself and 3 others started a software house just over 3yrs ago and it was the best move we ever made...

M

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
And the people at my local shop said DDR sucks and i should just get a P4 system from them for $4000... ha!

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>

beans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
LHGPooBaa -

Of all the ways there are to make money in the entire world of information technologies, operating a retail computer store is probably the most difficult.

You have to deal with the general public, your employees, local government, your suppliers, and your banker. All of those people have to be happy before you get to be happy.

If you have never operated a retail business of some kind, you have no clue as to how tough it is.

beans

G

This does not just apply to Retail .....

beans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
mwebster -

It applies in concept to other businesses that have significant physical locations and inventories. It's just more difficult in retail.

What type of business did you have in mind?

beans

beans

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Fugger -

You're right -- Resellerratings is a great site for posting comments and getting information about specific retailers, if they are national chains and have a web presence like CompUSA.

Unfortunately, they are not set up to deal with the thousands of local retailers and small chains out there. It would be beneficial for both consumers and the good stores in that category if there were an appropriate forum.

beans

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I have found 1 that it is good.He work on fix amount not % on price but he very small no marketing nothing, but he suggest only intel.

For the worst marchant i saw he gave me winzip for free.Winzip ????????stupid.Who only sold AMD.

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Want to turn this thread into flame war, too? I know crappy retailers who only sell Intel and vice versa, so what? Best ones are selling both anyway... Go away, troll :-(

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Ok like you want i was just saying the best marchant i saw is suggest INTEL.If you like Microbytes (the shop who sold the most) suggest AMD but somehow none of the staff have AMD at home (strange).

Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Well the truth is out retailer's are just are after the sale. WELL DUH! The best thing is to learn all you can from several diffrent source's. And then make your own choice. Somtimes crapping away a few bucks makes the best teacher. I have been at this game long enough I even bought a Packard Bell once, once. I build now, great way to learn and I know my box inside and out. Yesterday I could'nt even spell computer and today I have a red comp USA shirt and 10 bucks an hour to sell you what you think you want.