Best Spyware Remover

What would you folks recommend for a spyware remover. My Dell has slowed down
lately and a Spybot search found nothing. I went to adaware.com and ended up
downloading Spyassasin which found some spyware type cookies. Now Spyassasin
wants me to send them some money in order to remove the spyware it found.

Is Lavasoft's product better?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Jim
13 answers Last reply
More about best spyware remover

    Don't send anyone money. It's a scam. Try adaware.

    "JBlock56" <jblock56@aol.com> wrote in message
    > What would you folks recommend for a spyware remover. My Dell has slowed
    > down
    > lately and a Spybot search found nothing. I went to adaware.com and ended
    > up
    > downloading Spyassasin which found some spyware type cookies. Now
    > Spyassasin
    > wants me to send them some money in order to remove the spyware it found.
    >
    > Is Lavasoft's product better?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    > Jim

    > Is Lavasoft's product better?

    Lavasoft's adaware has a free version, and is pretty similar in
    terms of what it removes compared to Spybot S&D, with a few minor
    (not "showstopper") differences

    I`ve got a couple of suggestions and links here:

    www.phoenixbbs.co.uk

    All the stuff I mention is free.

    Colin Wilson wrote:

    > > Is Lavasoft's product better?
    >
    > Lavasoft's adaware has a free version, and is pretty similar in
    > terms of what it removes compared to Spybot S&D, with a few minor
    > (not "showstopper") differences
    >
    > I`ve got a couple of suggestions and links here:
    >
    > www.phoenixbbs.co.uk
    >
    > All the stuff I mention is free.

    A good (free) way to go is Ad-Aware *and* Spybot S&D.

    Notan

    Took the words right out of my mouth. I run both to fix up client's computers,
    and they each catch some unique spyware, malware, etc-ware. I also run
    HiJackThis to get a good view of browser modifications and all programs loaded
    up when the system boots up.

    Two caveats:

    1. I you have a multi-user Win 2000 or Win XP system, you MUST login as each
    user and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware to catch everything. This is because each
    user has his/her own programs and customization loaded when Windows starts up,
    added to the basic stuff shared by everyone. Failure to remove spys and other
    junk under each and every user login causes a still-infected user environment to
    infect the rest again.

    2. Together Spybot and Ad-Aware do not catch everything. I had a badly messed
    up client computer two weeks ago. Neither program isolated and removed the
    stuff that was messing up the computer. I had to go into both the WINDOWS and
    WiNDOWS\SYSTEM folders and delete over 1000 files manually, with the risk that I
    would also delete an important Windows file. Both computer and I survived the
    ordeal, and my client was back in business again... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:48:41 GMT, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

    >Colin Wilson wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is Lavasoft's product better?
    >>
    >> Lavasoft's adaware has a free version, and is pretty similar in
    >> terms of what it removes compared to Spybot S&D, with a few minor
    >> (not "showstopper") differences
    >>
    >> I`ve got a couple of suggestions and links here:
    >>
    >> www.phoenixbbs.co.uk
    >>
    >> All the stuff I mention is free.
    >
    >A good (free) way to go is Ad-Aware *and* Spybot S&D.
    >
    >Notan

    > > I`ve got a couple of suggestions and links here:
    > > www.phoenixbbs.co.uk
    > > All the stuff I mention is free.
    > A good (free) way to go is Ad-Aware *and* Spybot S&D.

    Follow up with HijackThis if you still have problems, cwshredder, and
    last but not least, spywareblaster to lock down activex exploits :-)

    We use both Spybot and Ad-Aware on the winXP machines I am responsible for.
    The user has an account in the Power Users group, and there are two accounts
    in the Administrators group. One of my guys insists it is necessary to
    temporarily promote the user account to administrator, and then run Spybot.
    (Otherwise Spybot does not fix the problems.) Then demote the user back to
    power user.

    Can anyone confirm or deny that administrator authority is necessary for
    Spybot to work properly? How about Ad-Aware?

    Thanks for any info.

    -- Jay

    > Took the words right out of my mouth. I run both to fix up client's
    > computers,
    > and they each catch some unique spyware, malware, etc-ware. I also run
    > HiJackThis to get a good view of browser modifications and all programs
    > loaded
    > up when the system boots up.
    >
    > Two caveats:
    >
    > 1. I you have a multi-user Win 2000 or Win XP system, you MUST login as
    > each
    > user and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware to catch everything. This is
    > because each
    > user has his/her own programs and customization loaded when Windows starts
    > up,
    > added to the basic stuff shared by everyone. Failure to remove spys and
    > other
    > junk under each and every user login causes a still-infected user
    > environment to
    > infect the rest again.
    >
    > 2. Together Spybot and Ad-Aware do not catch everything. I had a badly
    > messed
    > up client computer two weeks ago. Neither program isolated and removed
    > the
    > stuff that was messing up the computer. I had to go into both the WINDOWS
    > and
    > WiNDOWS\SYSTEM folders and delete over 1000 files manually, with the risk
    > that I
    > would also delete an important Windows file. Both computer and I survived
    > the
    > ordeal, and my client was back in business again... Ben Myers

    >>> Lavasoft's adaware has a free version, and is pretty similar in
    >>> terms of what it removes compared to Spybot S&D, with a few minor
    >>> (not "showstopper") differences
    >>>
    >>> I`ve got a couple of suggestions and links here:
    >>>
    >>> www.phoenixbbs.co.uk
    >>>
    >>> All the stuff I mention is free.
    >>
    >>A good (free) way to go is Ad-Aware *and* Spybot S&D.
    >>
    >>Notan

    Jay,

    What one of your guys is saying may be true for Win XP Pro. But I did not need
    to promote any of the six(!) user accounts on one of my client's XP Home
    machines to remove all the wretched mess. And only one account had Admin
    priveleges. This may well be a significant difference between Home and Pro.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:52:46 GMT, "Jay Bollyn" <jbollyn@neiu.edu> wrote:

    >We use both Spybot and Ad-Aware on the winXP machines I am responsible for.
    >The user has an account in the Power Users group, and there are two accounts
    >in the Administrators group. One of my guys insists it is necessary to
    >temporarily promote the user account to administrator, and then run Spybot.
    >(Otherwise Spybot does not fix the problems.) Then demote the user back to
    >power user.
    >
    >Can anyone confirm or deny that administrator authority is necessary for
    >Spybot to work properly? How about Ad-Aware?
    >
    >Thanks for any info.
    >
    >-- Jay

    >> Took the words right out of my mouth. I run both to fix up client's
    >> computers,
    >> and they each catch some unique spyware, malware, etc-ware. I also run
    >> HiJackThis to get a good view of browser modifications and all programs
    >> loaded
    >> up when the system boots up.
    >>
    >> Two caveats:
    >>
    >> 1. I you have a multi-user Win 2000 or Win XP system, you MUST login as
    >> each
    >> user and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware to catch everything. This is
    >> because each
    >> user has his/her own programs and customization loaded when Windows starts
    >> up,
    >> added to the basic stuff shared by everyone. Failure to remove spys and
    >> other
    >> junk under each and every user login causes a still-infected user
    >> environment to
    >> infect the rest again.
    >>
    >> 2. Together Spybot and Ad-Aware do not catch everything. I had a badly
    >> messed
    >> up client computer two weeks ago. Neither program isolated and removed
    >> the
    >> stuff that was messing up the computer. I had to go into both the WINDOWS
    >> and
    >> WiNDOWS\SYSTEM folders and delete over 1000 files manually, with the risk
    >> that I
    >> would also delete an important Windows file. Both computer and I survived
    >> the
    >> ordeal, and my client was back in business again... Ben Myers

    >>>A good (free) way to go is Ad-Aware *and* Spybot S&D.
    >>>
    >>>Notan

    I use the following to combat spyware -- all pick up different stuff
    oddly enough ... run them every other day or so ...

    PestPatrol
    Spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware SE
    Spy Sweeper

    Boad

    "BeeP" <beep@nospam2me.com> wrote in message news:<gvR_c.820$9P4.682@trndny02>...
    > SpySubtract is a good one. Checks for alot more suspects than Spybot
    > or Spybot S+D.
    > From the same co that does AdSubtract, which I think is included with
    > alot of computers, modems, etc. Bob

    The BEST spyware removal is to NOT use MS Windows.
    Use Mac OS or Linux. Spyware is NOT a problem
    with other operating systems. Just my opinion.
    Dave

    Early in November my computer became infected with spware, IE Windows
    kept poping up even when IE was closed and I tried several different
    spyware removal tools such as Ad-Aware and Spybot, and neither could
    remove it, though Ad-Aware removed more. Since spyware removal tools
    are their infancy, none will complete remove everything. I recommend
    trying several different ones. I ended up formatting my hard drive to
    get rid of the spyware.

    > Early in November my computer became infected with spware, IE Windows
    > kept poping up even when IE was closed and I tried several different
    > spyware removal tools such as Ad-Aware and Spybot, and neither could
    > remove it, though Ad-Aware removed more. Since spyware removal tools
    > are their infancy, none will complete remove everything.

    There`s a fair chance that if Spybot S&D and Adaware failed to clear it,
    it was either CoolWebSearch (which both were unable to clear last time I
    checked) which can be removed using cwshredder, and if all else failed,
    its time to break out the big guns and use HijackThis!

    > spyware removal tools such as Ad-Aware and Spybot, and neither could
    >> remove it, though Ad-Aware removed more.

    Be advised that you have to check with Ad-Aware weekly for updates. This past
    two weeks there have been three updates to their data base.
    "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

    davinp,
    Give PestPatrol at try. ( www.pestpatrol.com ) PC Magazine said if was
    successful where Ad-Aware wasn't.
    Paul

    "davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Early in November my computer became infected with spware, IE Windows
    > kept poping up even when IE was closed and I tried several different
    > spyware removal tools such as Ad-Aware and Spybot, and neither could
    > remove it, though Ad-Aware removed more. Since spyware removal tools
    > are their infancy, none will complete remove everything. I recommend
    > trying several different ones. I ended up formatting my hard drive to
    > get rid of the spyware.

Dell Spyware Computers