120hz monitors

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I have recently been reading alot that 120hz montiors make a tremendous difference in gaming. That the overall experience is more enjoyable, smoother, easier on the eyes etc... Now i currently have a 27" asus 60hz monitor that i really like however i play alot of FPS (bf3, counter strike) and am interested in what a 120hz monitor would bring to my experience. The dilema i have is that for a 27" 120hz monitor i'm looking at paying about $500-$700 depending on brand. I would like opinions from people who have used 120hz please.

1.) is it worth the cost? i've read its a world of difference and once you go 120hz you don't go back. is this true?
2.) specifically which brands are good? does it matteR? i've seen some of these benq monitors that are cheaper than the asus/acer/samsung offerings.

I am currently running 2 ati 6970's in crossfire. Thanks for any feedback. i really want to make sure before i purchase one if and when i do that i don't regret it and that any performance/enjoyment increases i get from this purchase are worth it.

Solution
Do you plan to stick with those AMD cards, and are happy about going AMD for the next few years? If so, I'd go with the Samsung. The 3D is compatible with AMD systems. People that have them, like them.

If you plan to go Nvidia, then the ASUS VG278H would be best, as it supports 3D Vision 2. There is also a ASUS VG278HE that is 144hz without the built in kit.

The Acer HN274H is older and is not 3D Vision 2. While it was good when it was released, it is not as good in comparison to todays monitors.
I am not sure I'd say that 120hz makes a tremendous difference. That is going to set you up for disappointment. I will say that it does make things smoother and more responsive. Lowering the latency between mouse movement and seeing your actions on the screen helps me remedy simulator sickness that I normally experience at 60hz/fps. When I first made the change, I didn't really notice how smooth it was, except when I turned rapidly, however, I noticed that I stopped feeling nausea once I reach 80+ FPS, and now I find dropping down to 60hz/fps can look choppy to me.

With an AMD system, I'd recommend going Samsung. Not only are they good, but the support displayport on most their monitors, and support HD3D for AMD systems. That was another thing I loved about my monitor, 3D is awesome, which I wasn't fully expecting.

Asus is a good brand for Nvidia, and BenQ has some good monitors for the price as well.

Do you plan to stick with those AMD cards, and are happy about going AMD for the next few years? If so, I'd go with the Samsung. The 3D is compatible with AMD systems. People that have them, like them.

If you plan to go Nvidia, then the ASUS VG278H would be best, as it supports 3D Vision 2. There is also a ASUS VG278HE that is 144hz without the built in kit.

The Acer HN274H is older and is not 3D Vision 2. While it was good when it was released, it is not as good in comparison to todays monitors.

Solution

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

thanks for the info! I really really appreciate it. I should say this. I have no interest in 3D gaming, if the monitor came with the glasses i might try it out but 99.9% of the time i will be playing normal 2d gaming. I am not a die hard AMD gpu fan in fact these are my first AMD cards since my last radeon 9800 pro back in the day. Previously i used 8800gtx and 295gtx.

does this help?

I'd still leave the 3D option out there. I bought my 120hz monitor with the plan to only play in 2D, and planned to only try out the 3D option. It turned out it was far better than I expected. It is much better than the vast majority of movies in 3D.

The 2 I recommended are both good monitors. I'd still go Samsung for an AMD GPU and ASUS for Nvidia.

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

thanks dude! do you feel the samsung is going to deliver on color/depth/deep blacks etc... more than the asus? the only thing preventing me from getting the samsung, which i have owned 2 samsung monitors and loved them, however the only thing holding me back is its fuggin ugly. i hate the stand. A LOT. however i can get past it.

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Followup question.

3d gaming for first person shooters. any good? seems like it would be harder especially for a game like counter strike.

also:
will my gpu's support the dvi-d connection? i tried to look and on newegg it just says dvi/hdmi

3D gaming is not for competitive gaming, but it does look awesome in FPS games. To limit the impact, you will want to turn on the 3D laser option in the 3D software.

As far as the dual link DVI-D goes, yes, your cards should have a least one dual link DVI connection. My 6950 did, and I believe most do, if not all.