Nvidia is not connected to a monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferranferri

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello all,
I bought a laptop that have a Intel integrated graphic card and a nvidia GT 540M dedicated.

I've installed windows 7 ultimate. My problem is that every game I init says that the only one graphic adapter is intel. Also, if I go to monitor properties, the adapter is Intel HD graphics, and I haven't found a way to change it.. What do I need to change this?

Any help is welcome!
Thanks in advance.

Ferran

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Switchable graphics is becoming more popular (severl HP DV6 models for example) to extend battery life, usually it automatically swithces though. The model would be helpful for determining a specific issue, but I would first check the following:
1. Check to see both are detected in the device manager
2. Download the latest driver from the laptop manufacturer (Nvidia's driver's may not switch correctly)
3. Update the BIOS, you maybe able to disable the integrated graphics here (not the perfect solution)

ferranferri

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Model is a packard bell easynote TK 85

Both devices are detected in device manager

There is no newer drivers in nvidia site. In fact, no GT 5xxM family is published yet into site, because 540M is a 435M refurbished :)

[/quotemsg]
BIOS is updated, and there is no way to disconnect devices.

I guess the problem is that laptop model is new. Also, I suspect, after executing smoothly dragon age and Civ 5 with high resolution, that nvidia renders the graphics and intel is a kind of proxy or something like that.

galeener

Distinguished
It could be auto switching like nvidia optimus enabled, I beleive its called.
•Optimus technology is completely automatic allowing you to experience longer battery life and amazing visuals without having to manually change settings.
•Behind the scenes and with no interference to what you’re doing, Optimus seamlessly figures out how to best optimize your notebook computing experience.
•NVIDIA graphics you’ve come to expect, with more than 10x better performance¹ with NVIDIA® CUDA™ technology, allowing you to enjoy your applications and games withou
Just a guess though.

You read the manual??

ferranferri

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello!
Sorry for not respond. I was travelling. I readed the manual. The problen detected is that with win 7 ultimate, Civ 5 only starts with directx 9 (a signal that the graphic card is intel HD). However, with packard bell installation (factory default), Civ 5 starts with direct X 11 (supported only by the nvidia graphics card). So in win 7 ultimate, I was unable to configure optimus system.

Status
Not open for further replies.