What to know when changing a c.p.u.?

RJosephCrouse

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
I am planning to replace my amd 955 be with a new amd fx 4170 I have an asus motherboard and it will support the new chip I just would like to know the proper steps to replacing my c.p.u. thanks a bunch God Bless.

How do you know? Look at your POST screen when it first starts to see what BIOS version you have. Will be the first thing displayed on the screen, you can stop the POST screen by pressing the "pause" button on your keyboard if the screen disappears to fast to read it. Press "pause" again to resume POST. Then, go to the ASUS web site for your motherboard, and see if your BIOS version supports the new processor.

Other than that, remove the old heatsink first by unlocking the latch, then slightly twisting back and forth to break the bond of any dried thermal compound. Do not try to lift the heatsink until you are certain its broken free from the CPU below, the simply lift off to remove heatsink. Lift locking arm on side of CPU socket all the way up, lift old cpu out, replace with new one, they just sit there, should take no force at all to insert or remove, none at all. double check for correct orientation. Push locking lever back down until it clicks into place at the bottom. Be careful, work slowly not to damage or bend any cpu pins. Use the right amount of new thermal paste, and if reinstalling the same heatsink, be sure to clean all the old thermal paste off thoughly before reinstalling. Its pretty simple and straight forward procedure, just do it carefully. Then just boot up. The PC will recognize the new CPU automatically (if your board and BIOS do in fact support it) and that is all there is to it.

RJosephCrouse

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011

Thanks everyone I just wanted to make sure and the is the best place to make sure Thanks evewryone God Bless. :bounce:

Backing up what zooted started to address, You can save your money and simply overclock the 955 (buy an aftermarket CPU cooler if you don't already have one). The 4170 is a bit faster than the 955 at stock speeds, but when both are overclocked, there's little difference between them.