ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Is this game actually designed to try to kill you at critical points?
Despite studying every spoiler, I've had so many promising characters
YASD'd, it's ridiculous. Today, I was playing a barbarian whom I had
painstakingly built up with Cleaver, all blessed (mithril) armor, tons
of rings and wands, unihorn, and a pet troll. Promptly stumbled into an
Arch lich in a corridor on level 11(!), which killed my barbarian
immediately with touch of death. Considering that my barbarian was only
level 9, I'm really not sure that was fair. Oh well...

Question (spoiler): I think I have the general idea of the game
strategy, but am not sure in what order I should tackle the special
levels (i.e. Sokoban, Mines, Ludios, etc.) And what stuff can I expect
from each? Because I had heard that Sokoban had a BoH, but it didn't
when I finished it. (only saw three small rooms that had a spellbook and
a wand).

anon wrote:
> Is this game actually designed to try to kill you at critical points?

Umm, yes. Despite all the YAAPs you'll see in this newsgroup, Nethack is
a difficult game to win. When you have climbed that mountain you can
consider it a significant personal achievement (and I will look forward
to reading your YAFAP when the time comes!).

> Despite studying every spoiler, I've had so many promising characters
> YASD'd, it's ridiculous. Today, I was playing a barbarian whom I had
> painstakingly built up with Cleaver, all blessed (mithril) armor, tons
> of rings and wands, unihorn, and a pet troll. Promptly stumbled into an
> Arch lich in a corridor on level 11(!), which killed my barbarian
> immediately with touch of death. Considering that my barbarian was only
> level 9, I'm really not sure that was fair. Oh well...

All's fair where the RNG is concerned! If you were playing on your own
local system, my guess is your barbarian encountered a chameleon that
chose one of the more deadly forms it could have assumed, in which case
your best plan would involve early detection (telepathy+blindfold/towel
or other method of blindness) and giving it a wide berth when it becomes
something deadly. If you were playing on a Nethack server, though, you
could have been the victim of a nasty bones file.

> Question (spoiler): I think I have the general idea of the game
> strategy, but am not sure in what order I should tackle the special
> levels (i.e. Sokoban, Mines, Ludios, etc.) And what stuff can I expect
> from each? Because I had heard that Sokoban had a BoH, but it didn't
> when I finished it. (only saw three small rooms that had a spellbook and
> a wand).

Ludios is not guaranteed to be reachable in every game, and if it is
reachable in your game, you should do everything you can in the Mines
and Sokoban(1) at the very least before attempting an assault on it. It
is an extremely good idea to have reflection before trying Ludios (magic
resistance being desirable as well).

The Mines will always yield you a couple of shops and an aligned priest
where you should get as much protection as money can buy, and you'll
usually get nice armor (not ascension-grade, mind you, but good enough
to get better). The Mines End level will yield a luckstone and possibly
some other useful items (spellbooks if the Catacombs, for instance). All
the way through the Mines you'll also pick up enough gems to be able to
figure out the good from the bad for the most part, not to mention that
it may be the only place you'll find a pick-axe or mattock for digging.

Sokoban will have either a bag of holding or an amulet of reflection as
the final prize. Your description sounds like you got the latter, but
since you weren't expecting it you may not have looked around carefully
enough to discover the amulet. It is good to have a source of
reflection, so consider it a worthy prize unless you've already come
across another one, a shield of reflection or SDSM, in which case it's
_still good_ to have backups :)

Which order to tackle things is for the most part a matter of taste,
your playing style and your character's particular needs. If you lack
food, you might consider going to Sokoban early because it supplies it
in healthy measure. If you want to buy early protection, your best bet
is to dive into the Mines, making sure you have one or more strong pets
to protect you and help with the shops.

Survival in Nethack is a complex web of solving immediate problems as
they come up intertwined with furthering longer-range goals as you go
along. Try to keep in mind that although your next step could be your
last, you don't have to take it without thinking about the mess you're
in for as long as you want. My most recent ascension was a Samurai who
got grabbed by an eel in Fort Ludios; the best move in that particular
instance was to strike the eel, but it took me about a half-hour of
thinking, checking and re-checking inventory, consulting spoilers,
re-reading in-game messages and more thinking before I did it (and it
changed the way I approach moats permanently!).

Happy hacking!

-Ken

(1) Sokoban may not yield a necessary item for you if you find what it
normally provides elsewhere before you tackle it. It can be a good
source of food, wands and rings that you might not find as early
otherwise, though.

On Sun, 15 May 2005, anon wrote:

> Is this game actually designed to try to kill you at critical points?
> Despite studying every spoiler, I've had so many promising characters
> YASD'd, it's ridiculous. Today, I was playing a barbarian whom I had
> painstakingly built up with Cleaver, all blessed (mithril) armor, tons
> of rings and wands, unihorn, and a pet troll. Promptly stumbled into an
> Arch lich in a corridor on level 11(!), which killed my barbarian
> immediately with touch of death. Considering that my barbarian was only
> level 9, I'm really not sure that was fair. Oh well...

polytrap or chameleon, probably.

> Question (spoiler): I think I have the general idea of the game
> strategy, but am not sure in what order I should tackle the special
> levels (i.e. Sokoban, Mines, Ludios, etc.) And what stuff can I expect
> from each? Because I had heard that Sokoban had a BoH, but it didn't
> when I finished it. (only saw three small rooms that had a spellbook and
> a wand).

Sokoban has either a BoH or an amulet of reflection. Should be in the
small room with the E-word engraved. But some monsters do not respect it
and may have grabed the object, so you should better search the whole zoo
for the stuff (and I guees you'll be able to know if it's a BoH or an
amulet easilly).

Concerning strategy, it depends on many things... Sokoban/Minetown are
mainly a matter of taste, you should do both but the order is not very
important. I usually go for Soko first if I happen to found an early altar
or to minetown first if I really need an altar and some price-iding. Also
depends on the light in the caves. If the first level(s) of the cave are
lit, I usually go down (a good way to make quite experience with fighting
classes, i find gnomes easy to kill).

Minesend usually go after both Soko and Minetown (making sometime rather
long trip between minetown/soko/minetwon/minsend).

Then i start going down, the Quest and ludios depend on whether I "feel"
it or not... I usually try to got lots of HPs (via alchemy) before the
Quest.

I also often take time to dig through the upper level even before I reach
Medusa, just because thatmakes a little change in the game and could be a
nice way to combine a camp movement with something else. But it is often a
source of YASD...

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

"anon" <anon@anonn.com> wrote in message
> Is this game actually designed to try to kill you at critical points?
> Despite studying every spoiler, I've had so many promising characters
> YASD'd, it's ridiculous. Today, I was playing a barbarian whom I had
> painstakingly built up with Cleaver, all blessed (mithril) armor, tons
> of rings and wands, unihorn, and a pet troll. Promptly stumbled into an
> Arch lich in a corridor on level 11(!), which killed my barbarian
> immediately with touch of death. Considering that my barbarian was only
> level 9, I'm really not sure that was fair. Oh well...

The others covered this bit of RNG/Bonesfile evil well.

> Question (spoiler): I think I have the general idea of the game
> strategy, but am not sure in what order I should tackle the special
> levels (i.e. Sokoban, Mines, Ludios, etc.) And what stuff can I expect
> from each? Because I had heard that Sokoban had a BoH, but it didn't
> when I finished it. (only saw three small rooms that had a spellbook and
> a wand).
A bit spoily
The prize at the top of sokoban is determined by the level layout (or
vice-versa)
If you enter from the top of the level, it's the bag.
From the bottom (harder layout IMHO) it's the amulet.

Hope this helps a bit
Danny

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> anon <anon@anonn.com> writes:
>
> > Another question: Any advice on keeping a pet dragon? (I have a
leash)

> Well, keep it, speed it, feed it, and be scared of the turn you
> lose it. Mine town is a great playground for an adult dragon.

And if you've got healing/extra healing spells, super. Oh, and use the
stethoscope liberally (if you got one) as well.

-K

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Thanks, guys. It's funny, now chameleons/shapechangers are coming out of
the walls after my complaint (two already in my current game, one of
which lovingly again took the form of a (master) lich (f u RNG).

anon <anon@anonn.com> writes:

> Is this game actually designed to try to kill you at critical points?

Of course. It's also designed to kill you at non-critical
points, which is a bit harder ;-).

> Despite studying every spoiler, I've had so many promising characters
> YASD'd, it's ridiculous. Today, I was playing a barbarian whom I had
> painstakingly built up with Cleaver, all blessed (mithril) armor, tons
> of rings and wands, unihorn, and a pet troll. Promptly stumbled into an
> Arch lich in a corridor on level 11(!),

Most probably a shapechanger. You have my vote for taking them
out of the game.

Best,
Jakob