VIA hardware system monitor?

Hi all,
I posted this earlier buried deep in another thread, so I thought I would post it again. Hope No one is bothered by this.

My system has arrived and is coming along nicely, slowly but surely as I don't have a lot of time to spend on assembly each day. No problems so far and the cpu/hsf went on without a hitch.
Now, my question.
What are the thoughts about the VIA hardware system monitor?
I haven't got much of a load to test it with yet, but system temp via VIA is showing 27c, cpu temp is 29c. On loading photoshop 6, cpu temp was hitting 38c. Running ATI cable tv thingy all day long in full screen max resolution showed cpu temp at 35c.
It is kinda warm in my pc room at home as I don't have central air and there is no AC in that room and with 2 sometime 3 pc's and monitors running 24/7, it's prob in the high 80's in the room alone. Anyway, what are the thoughts on the VIA temp monitor?
System is a 266 fsb Athlon 1200 retail w/ amd hs&f

Have a good day.
~Mark

P.S.
What is the Hysteresis in the VIA monitor, a history log??? Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about hardware system monitor
  1. It is not that good really , if you want true temo get a temo probe they are not very expensive so it would prob be worth it...

M

if at first you don't succeed , destroy all evidence that you ever tried...
  2. Your temperatures actually sound too low to be realistic! Athlons and Durons are fairly hot processors ... 45C to 50C would be closer to the average ... even hotter with the stock heatsink. And with the ambient temperature in your room in the high 80's... the temps you are coming up with just don't sound right. I'll bet your processor is running closer to 60C than 35C.

You definitely need to get an external probe; you can't trust the motherboard monitoring to give you an accurate temp. I'd also dump that stock heatsink and get something that does a better job. I like GlobalWin heatsinks for Socket A Athlons .. they are under 300grams; they are a perfect fit ... and the price is right. Check out the FOP32-1, and get some Arctic Silver. The combination of the two can make a 10F degree difference, or more.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>If there was a reason for everything, having faith would be redundant.</font color=purple>
  3. Im running an athlon 1.0ghz 266fsb @ 1.2ghz using the retail amd HSF (i run perfectly stable @ 1.4ghz, but i don't trust the retail HSF).
    Using Via Hardware Monitor, MBM 5, and H Monitor-my temps @ idle load reads 25, 25, 26, respectively. When playing games, temps can reach 40 deg celcius. (i think these are fairly accurate temps off by at most +/- 5 degrees). My temps are really low cuz i live up north where it's cold and my comp is near an opened sliding door.
  4. Yeah, that sounds too good to be true. Check the BIOS and see what it says.
  5. yup, did that too...lots of times, it's usually between 25-30 degree celcius
  6. The temperature readings you'll find in the BIOS that come from the motherboard probe monitoring are not always accurate. I've seen them off by as much as thirty degrees! Sobering thought, huh?

If you want to know exactly how well your heatsink is working, what your case and motherboard temperatures are compared to the ambient, and possibly what the chipset and video card GPU core and memory temperatures are ... you'll need a dependable probe. This is especially important for overclocking, because heat is one of the main reasons that chips are limited in speed.

You'll also find a probe handy for locating "dead space" in a can. This can help you determine the proper placement of fans that will assure good airflow.

Even if you are operating in a relatively cool area (and of course, this does help!) remember, the temperature you are most concerned with is between the heatsink and the die, and this is even more applicable to newer socket-based chips.

Interestingly enough, have you noticed that when you are checking the temperature in the BIOS ... the system is basically running at idle? How about the other end of the spectrum ... at full load?

Remember now ... this is just my opinion. No one is forcing you and yours to go out and spend money. If you overclock the system, and the CPU implodes ... well, it's only a piece of hardware that can easily be replaced. Right? But if you are truly interested, and prefer to have an accurate idea of what's going on in your rig while you are slipping along the slopes with a sniper rifle in Tribes 2 ... you'll invest in a probe.

That's my two cents.

Toejam31

Just for fun - - My Rig: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

I like comparing systems and see who is running what ...who knows why? Guess I'm nosy. LOL!

See ya ...

<font color=purple>If there was a reason for everything, having faith would be redundant.</font color=purple>
  7. Thats a good point, ToeJam...
    But Im not too worried as long as my toes are cold, and I dont leave my cpu overclocked at 1.4 with the stock hsf.
    I did my own "real-world-full-load-test" instead of using some stress testing benchmarks and programs. I had the DVD "gone in 60 seconds" playing, i was also encoding the same movie into divx all at maximum settings and reslutions using flaskMpeg, surfing the net with at least 5 opened browsers, listening to mp3s, played some video games, also had some divx clips playing at the same time... monitor had resolution 1152x864 @ 85hz, --temp after 30 mins was 49 deg celcius. Yeah i probably know its off quite a bit, but still good enough for me since i will never be doing all those things at once.
    Anyways, thanks for your concern.
    maybe, if I can convince myself to spend 20 bucks on a probe, I might just buy one. I'll think about it.

<font color=blue>"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981</font color=blue>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Hardware Monitors Product