Help teach my Barbarian to read.

I've ascended W,V(found an ascension-kit bones file on NAO),P,M and
I've been trying both R and H, with no real success, so I decided to
take a change and try a barbarian for a change. The beginning was
fairly standard. I don't need to run away as much or look out for my
health with a barbarian, so I took it easy. Found two magic lamps in
the mines, and used one to get +2 GDSM. The first important thing that
happened is that I managed use a poly-trap to get my dog to turn into
an Arch-Lich. When trying to get a pet, I usually stop at
dragon/gargoyle, so this was by far the most powerful pet I ever
managed to get at an early stage. With Archie in tow, I tore through
the mines...

When I got back to mine-town, I was planning to lock Archie in a room
so I could conduct business, and found out the hard way that
Arch-Liches don't stay put. To make a long story short, I just
finished the quest and I have yet to read a single scroll. I usually
price-id Identify (it's the cheapest), but haven't found any general
store except for the one in the mines that no longer has an owner.

Is there any way for me to easily identify Identify? Smoky potions in
this game are object detection, so I have about 10 of them. Would a
spellbook of ID + robe be a good idea to try for?

Another interesting thing I noticed is that I somehow automatically
identified my luckstone when I finished the quest. Is this because my
quest leader identifies the Heart of Ahriman for me?

Thanks in advance.
Knnn.

Benjamin Schieder wrote:
> > Is there any way for me to easily identify Identify?
>
> It's a long shot but I identified ?oID a few times by it being the
most common
> one. I just go down reading the most common scroll I have, then the
second and
> so on.

I almost always identify scrolls by reading unknown ones (too impatient
to wait for shops or to mess around with the intracacies of
price-IDing). Just take a few precautions first:

- BUC-id your scrolls before reading. This is a MUST.
- NEVER read any unidentified cursed scrolls unless you are fully
prepared to deal with the consequences!
- Go to a room with doors. Close and lock them both.
- Take off all your armour *except* one unimportant piece until you
have identified destroy armour. (If you have identified enchant armour,
just take it all off.)
- Stash/drop all extra scrolls/potions/other flammables until you have
identified fire.
- Wear some sort of helmet, in case of earth (or have a lot of hit
points)
- It would be nice to have some way to write Elbereth or to quickly
escape in case of Create Monster (i.e. if all your armour's off.)
However, this has rarely caused me any problems.

The rest of the scrolls, as far as I know, do not pose any problem
unless they are cursed. Most scrolls are actually relatively harmless
(i.e. all the "detect" ones.)

Good luck!

Artemis the Ranger

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> If you have maximum luck and a magic marker to spare, you can
> also try and write an id scroll; if successful (about 1/3 chance
> for luck-maxed non-wizards, IIRC), you get an id scroll with the
> usual name 'a scroll called $whatever'.

Isn't that 1/3 chance for luck-maxed non-wizards attempting to write a
scroll they DO know already?

-777

777 wrote:

> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>> If you have maximum luck and a magic marker to spare, you can
>> also try and write an id scroll; if successful (about 1/3 chance
>> for luck-maxed non-wizards, IIRC), you get an id scroll with the
>> usual name 'a scroll called $whatever'.
>
> Isn't that 1/3 chance for luck-maxed non-wizards attempting to write a
> scroll they DO know already?

No, that's 100%, assuming enough marker charges.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

Hi All
Thanks for all the advice.

What I did in the end was find a used-armor shop, and I simply threw in
one of each type of scroll I had more than one of. Turns out I have
three scrolls of ID, three scrolls of enchant weapon, and 8 blank
(paper golems) and 11 of teleporation.

Onward!!

Knnn the Barbarian

> Is there any way for me to easily identify Identify?

It's a long shot but I identified ?oID a few times by it being the most common
one. I just go down reading the most common scroll I have, then the second and
so on.

> Smoky potions in this game are object detection, so I have about 10 of them.

You are the Envy of me :)

> Would a spellbook of ID + robe be a good idea to try for?

There are better things to wish for. Besides there's a guaranteed robe in the
Valley of the Dead waiting for a new owner.

> Another interesting thing I noticed is that I somehow automatically
> identified my luckstone when I finished the quest. Is this because my
> quest leader identifies the Heart of Ahriman for me?

Yes.

HTH,
Benjamin

wcristalle@hotmail.com wrote:

> Benjamin Schieder wrote:
>> > Is there any way for me to easily identify Identify?
>>
>> It's a long shot but I identified ?oID a few times by it being the
> most common
>> one. I just go down reading the most common scroll I have, then the
> second and
>> so on.
>
> I almost always identify scrolls by reading unknown ones (too impatient
> to wait for shops or to mess around with the intracacies of
> price-IDing). Just take a few precautions first:
>
> - BUC-id your scrolls before reading. This is a MUST.
> - NEVER read any unidentified cursed scrolls unless you are fully

Giant mimics are a handy thing to use a genocide scroll on that you don't
know is cursed.
They come in mimicing stuff, so are safe, if the scroll is cursed.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 wcristalle@hotmail.com wrote:

> Benjamin Schieder wrote:
> > > Is there any way for me to easily identify Identify?
> >
> > It's a long shot but I identified ?oID a few times by it being the
> > most common one. I just go down reading the most common scroll I have,
> > then the second and so on.
>
> I almost always identify scrolls by reading unknown ones (too impatient
> to wait for shops or to mess around with the intracacies of
> price-IDing). Just take a few precautions first:
>
> - BUC-id your scrolls before reading. This is a MUST.
> - NEVER read any unidentified cursed scrolls unless you are fully
> prepared to deal with the consequences!
> - Go to a room with doors. Close and lock them both.
> - Take off all your armour *except* one unimportant piece until you
> have identified destroy armour. (If you have identified enchant armour,
> just take it all off.)
> - Stash/drop all extra scrolls/potions/other flammables until you have
> identified fire.
> - Wear some sort of helmet, in case of earth (or have a lot of hit
> points)
> - It would be nice to have some way to write Elbereth or to quickly
> escape in case of Create Monster (i.e. if all your armour's off.)
> However, this has rarely caused me any problems.
>
> The rest of the scrolls, as far as I know, do not pose any problem
> unless they are cursed. Most scrolls are actually relatively harmless
> (i.e. all the "detect" ones.)

Well, the real harm still exists with amnesia...
When I want to read-id scrolls, I always try to have them price-ided
before just in order not to read amnesia by mistake...

And of course, earth is no problem since it should be identified once you
reach Sokoban.

As far as I remember, teleportation seems to be quite frequent too, and
may be a bit harmfull in certains cases... But this one can also be
identified fairly easily (and monsters may identify it for you iirc).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

777 wrote:
> Isn't that 1/3 chance for luck-maxed non-wizards attempting to write a
> scroll they DO know already?

No. If you know the scroll or book, you can always, regardless
of class or luck, write it successfully. (Barring insufficient marker
charges or other such problems, anyway.)

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

"Knnn" <knnn@go.com> wrote:

> When I got back to mine-town, I was planning to lock Archie in a room
> so I could conduct business, and found out the hard way that
> Arch-Liches don't stay put. To make a long story short, I just
> finished the quest and I have yet to read a single scroll. I usually
> price-id Identify (it's the cheapest), but haven't found any general
> store except for the one in the mines that no longer has an owner.
>
> Is there any way for me to easily identify Identify?

If you have money to spare, and a shopkeeper of any other type left
alive, you could take advantage of the fact that, while they won't buy
scrolls, they'll sell them at identical prices to general or scroll/book
shopkeeper.

Richard

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> > Is there any way for me to easily identify Identify?
>
> Quantity is a risky second-bet option. Identify is by far the
> most common scroll, ...
> Best,
> Jakob

Is this true in a practical sense? I understand from reading the
spoilers that identify should make up some set percentage of all
scrolls. But does that apply to scrolls that are created for new
levels, or ALL scrolls, period. As the game wears on, scrolls of
teleportation and scrolls of create monster seem to greatly surpass
identify when considering the death drop of monsters. Especially in
hell.

theKapn

theKapn wrote:
> Jakob Creutzig wrote:

>> Identify is by far the most common scroll, ...

> Is this true in a practical sense? I understand from reading the
> spoilers that identify should make up some set percentage of all
> scrolls. But does that apply to scrolls that are created for new
> levels, or ALL scrolls, period. As the game wears on, scrolls of
> teleportation and scrolls of create monster seem to greatly surpass
> identify when considering the death drop of monsters. Especially in
> hell.

It applies to scrolls randomly generated with *the level*, and also to
scrolls that are in monsters' *death drop*.

However, it does not apply to scrolls *generated with a monster*.
Whenever a monster is created, it may also have some items with it, and
*that* distribution is not random. For example, nymphs are often
generated with potions of object detection or mirrors. This is not the
same as a nymph's death drop, which is random (if existant).

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

>Besides there's a guaranteed robe in the
>Valley of the Dead waiting for a new owner.
[nitpick]
not guaranteed, there is a chance IIRC that you will get a [oMR
[/nitpick]

TRENDING THREADS