Problem with a K6-2 and Win 2k

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I have a soyo SY-5SSM/5 MB with a SIS 530 chip set and onboard sound and video with 192 megs of ram and a K6-2 400. The problem that I am having is that when I install win 2k pro it copies the installation files then reboots. Then it comes up with black and white win 2k screen then the color one gets half way through and the machine reboots. It keeps doing this indefinitely. I have not seen any thing that states the sis 530 chipset is not compatible with win 2k. I am rather stumped any ideas?
Thanks
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

G

reformat, reinstall. I had the same prob with win98 and SIS 530. I reformatted and reinstalled. Turns out it was a bad IDE driver, got the SIS IDE driver, replaced the standard Win98 driver, and ran cool. Win98 install is different, so I was able to install windows and boot in safe mode.

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
i have reformated and reinstalled win 2k a number of times but i will look for a new driver. The problem is that this happens before i get win 2k fully installed!!
thanks.
mbaha

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had a crappy PC Chips Sis 530 mobo, integrated graphics and sound, 96 megs ram.
no problems at all.
Sis IDE drivers nuked my system entirely, tho, had to use Windows drivers.
had a Voodoo 2 problem, it worked, but the pass through didn't.
I ran it with my k6 2 450 @ 500, 550 and 570.
ran it with a K6III+ 450 @ 600.
never had any troubles at all.
either there is something different on your board than mine or you are having a bios issue... ? something in that area...
btw, performance improved on Win2k...

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
save yer self da troubulls, get an Intel chip and board.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMeltdown on 05/31/01 11:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey there melty, he didn't say he was BUYING a k6 2 and a soyo sis 530, he said he HAS them.
shut up.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Thanks for you help i was starting to lean to a bios problem but i need to get a clean boot disk to flash the bios but my other computer is running win 2k adv server so I will have to go to some one else's house to get that. What kind of problems did the windows ide drivers give u and how did u fix them?
thanks
mbaha
as for meltdown screw off it was free my main computer is a 1.2 gig t-bird i want this one so i expand my network :p
you should listen to you mother "if you don't have any thing nice to say shut up your i will hit you"

later
mbaha

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SiS did make some crappy chipset. I put K6-2's on TX, HX, and VX motherboards, that solve the problem. I can trade you a TX motherboard if you pay the shipping (I'll just put the SiS in a Win95 machine). Only thing is-no AGP and 75MHz bus, need to use the 2x=6x fix to get 400/450. But it would at least WORK!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
K6-2 on TX, HX, VX ? Typical boards with those chipsets doesn't even support K6-2 and low voltages needed by it. Only HX chipset can cache more than 64Mb RAM when equipped with special TAG SRAM chip. Both HX and VX has horrific SDRAM support, there's high possibility that you have to buy slow and expensive SIMMs for it. HX and VX chipsets doesn't even support UDMA/33, you have to use PIO mode 4/DMA mode 2 for your drives (high CPU time consumtion). K6-2 isn't very fast CPU anyway, why castrate it's performance even more? If you thinking about mobo replacement, get one with Ali (Addalin 5) or VIA (MVP3) chipset... good SDRAM support, AGP 2X, at least UDMA/33, 100+ Mhz FSB support, at least 128Mb cacheable memory (max 512Mb with VIA MVP3 chipset and 2Mb L2)...

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know the drivers crashed 98, I'm trying to remember if they fried Win2k as well, seems they just slowed it down really bad on Win2k.
I could save 98 by scanreg and restore an old copy, or safemode and remove the driver, reboot into safe mode and reinstall the basic Windows drivers. if I let it boot to full 98 it automatically reinstalled the bad driver and almost immediatly locked up.
Crashman, unless his is different than mine, he has no AGP port, just really crappy integrated AGP. a decent PCI card(read decent, Creative 3d Blaster 4 megs 83mhz) would be an improvement.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
also, the memory subsystem on the TX, HX and VX are leaps and bounds better than the one on the Sis 530.
its not a stretch to have 150MBps + bandwidth on a good board running 66mhz, I had a max of 94MBps after I got the K6III+ on a 100mhz FSB.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Out of the 3 the TX is the best, and SERIOUSLY outperforms the SiS chipset. The VX and HX could match or beat the SiS performance even with their limmitations. And all three are more stable and compatable than the SiS. So the SiS is the one that castrates the K6-2 the greatest (maybe a bilateral orchiechtomy, as opposed to the one-sided aproach).

Cast not thine pearls before the swine