nethack.alt.org outage

Hello,

nethack.alt.org experienced (once again) the joys of an overfull
hard drive. This meant that some of the games in progress went
ka-blooie. Another thing that happened was that dgamelaunch, the
program that manages the nethack accounts, couldn't write it's login
file. We restored the latest backup, but it was from the 21st of march,
so if you created an account after that time, your login information
is gone and you need to recreate it. This does NOT wipe out any
saves or config files you had before.

This shouldn't happen in the near future again, as the nethack chroot
was moved to it's own disk, with lots more room.

Kudos to dtype for making it all happen.

--
Pasi Kallinen
paxed@alt.org

Pasi Kallinen wrote:

> nethack.alt.org experienced (once again) the joys of an overfull
> hard drive. This meant that some of the games in progress went
> ka-blooie. Another thing that happened was that dgamelaunch, the
> program that manages the nethack accounts, couldn't write it's login
> file. We restored the latest backup, but it was from the 21st of march,
> so if you created an account after that time, your login information
> is gone and you need to recreate it. This does NOT wipe out any
> saves or config files you had before.
>
> This shouldn't happen in the near future again, as the nethack chroot
> was moved to it's own disk, with lots more room.
>
> Kudos to dtype for making it all happen.

I'm glad the problem has been remedied, but -- is it really necessary to
keep every single ttyrec file hanging around? Personally, I would prefer
that old dumplogs were kept instead, and these are much smaller.

Speaking of dumplog, is there an option to make it always save information
such as inventory and monsters killed, even if these are not requested
at the end of the game?

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

Ian Stirling wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of dumplog, is there an option to make it always save
>> information such as inventory and monsters killed, even if these are not
>> requested at the end of the game?
>
> Even something trivial like running something like (untested) find .
> -type f -print|xargs grep -L "disclose:" |\ xargs awk '{print
> "\nOPTIONS=disclose:+i +a +v +g +c" >>FILENAME;nextfile}'
>
> over the rcfiles directory, to add a setting to always disclose
> everything to files that don't have a disclose setting at the moment.
>
> Would help.

Perhaps, but personally, I don't always *want* full disclose on death, but I do
want to have all that information in the dumplog. Perhaps there is no
trivial way to implement this, though.

--

Pasi Kallinen wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
>> Pasi Kallinen wrote:
>>
>>> nethack.alt.org experienced (once again) the joys of an overfull
>>> hard drive. This meant that some of the games in progress went
>>
>> I'm glad the problem has been remedied, but -- is it really necessary to
>> keep every single ttyrec file hanging around? Personally, I would
>> prefer that old dumplogs were kept instead, and these are much smaller.
>
> Unfortunately the dump patch doesn't allow for that (or at least the
> version used on NAO doesn't), and recompiling and testing takes time.

You couldn't just have dgamelaunch do some sort of logrotate on them when
the user logged in?

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Still not up....

I'm really wondering whether or not this memory of my monk punching a
chicatrice without gloves on is a dream or really happened right before
I went to bed last night....

-777

Benjamin Schieder wrote:

>> You couldn't just have dgamelaunch do some sort of logrotate on them
>> when the user logged in?
>
> Unfortunately, that would screw up Rodney (the IRC bot on #nethack on
> freenode) quite bad. I've done that for my SLASH'EM server and it proved
> to be non-trivial.

Really? Why does it make a difference to Rodney what happens when a user
logs in?

--

Benjamin Schieder wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, that would screw up Rodney (the IRC bot on #nethack on
>>> freenode) quite bad. I've done that for my SLASH'EM server and it
>>> proved to be non-trivial.
>>
>> Really? Why does it make a difference to Rodney what happens when a
>> user logs in?
>
> It's not the login, it's the !lastgame <user> command as well as the
> ascensions. On both accounts, Rodney looks up <path to
> dumplogs>/$user.lastgame.txt and if it exists returns the link to the
> http address of the dumplog.

There's no reason to remove this file during the (modified) logrotate --
just copy it to user.lastgame.txt.0(.gz), and let it be overwritten once
the character dies/ascends. When the user logs in to dgamelaunch, you
could determine whether or not to do a rotate by comparing the timestamps
of user.lastgame.txt and user.lastgame.txt.0

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
> Pasi Kallinen wrote:
>
>> nethack.alt.org experienced (once again) the joys of an overfull
>> hard drive. This meant that some of the games in progress went
>> ka-blooie. Another thing that happened was that dgamelaunch, the
>> program that manages the nethack accounts, couldn't write it's login
>> file. We restored the latest backup, but it was from the 21st of march,
>> so if you created an account after that time, your login information
>> is gone and you need to recreate it. This does NOT wipe out any
>> saves or config files you had before.
>>
>> This shouldn't happen in the near future again, as the nethack chroot
>> was moved to it's own disk, with lots more room.
>>
>> Kudos to dtype for making it all happen.
>
> I'm glad the problem has been remedied, but -- is it really necessary to
> keep every single ttyrec file hanging around? Personally, I would prefer
> that old dumplogs were kept instead, and these are much smaller.
>
> Speaking of dumplog, is there an option to make it always save information
> such as inventory and monsters killed, even if these are not requested
> at the end of the game?

Even something trivial like running something like (untested)
find . -type f -print|xargs grep -L "disclose:" |\
xargs awk '{print "\nOPTIONS=disclose:+i +a +v +g +c" >>FILENAME;nextfile}'

over the rcfiles directory, to add a setting to always disclose everything
to files that don't have a disclose setting at the moment.

Would help.

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
> Pasi Kallinen wrote:
>
>> nethack.alt.org experienced (once again) the joys of an overfull
>> hard drive. This meant that some of the games in progress went
>
> I'm glad the problem has been remedied, but -- is it really necessary to
> keep every single ttyrec file hanging around? Personally, I would prefer
> that old dumplogs were kept instead, and these are much smaller.

Unfortunately the dump patch doesn't allow for that (or at least the
version used on NAO doesn't), and recompiling and testing takes time.

And there's no shortage of free space now.

--
Pasi Kallinen
paxed@alt.org

Pasi Kallinen wrote:

> nethack.alt.org experienced (once again) the joys of an overfull
> hard drive. This meant that some of the games in progress went
> ka-blooie.

Are "games in progress" also saved games, or just games played at
the moment of failure?

Janis

> You couldn't just have dgamelaunch do some sort of logrotate on them when
> the user logged in?

Unfortunately, that would screw up Rodney (the IRC bot on #nethack on freenode)
quite bad. I've done that for my SLASH'EM server and it proved to be non-trivial.

Greetings,
Benjamin

>>Unfortunately, that would screw up Rodney (the IRC bot on #nethack on
>>freenode) quite bad. I've done that for my SLASH'EM server and it proved
>>to be non-trivial.
>
> Really? Why does it make a difference to Rodney what happens when a user
> logs in?

It's not the login, it's the !lastgame <user> command as well as the ascensions.
On both accounts, Rodney looks up <path to dumplogs>/$user.lastgame.txt and if
it exists returns the link to the http address of the dumplog.
I've managed to teach Pallas (Rodney's pendant in #slashem) how to look for it
but as of now I have the problem that it is case sensitive. So a "!lastgame
Blindcoder" will yield nothing while a "!lastgame blindcoder" will show my last
dump.

Greetings,
Benjamin

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

777 wrote:
> Still not up....
>

> I'm really wondering whether or not this memory of my monk punching a
> chicatrice without gloves on is a dream or really happened right
before
> I went to bed last night....
>
> -777

DOH!

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:
>
>> Speaking of dumplog, is there an option to make it always save
>> information such as inventory and monsters killed, even if these are not
>> requested at the end of the game?
>
> Umm, it's a bit over a year since I changed the dump patch to always
> write those things. Of course, a patch version older than that may still
> be used somewhere.. and I don't know what is the case with
> nethack.alt.org.

Excellent! <pokes the NAO people>

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> writes:

> Speaking of dumplog, is there an option to make it always save information
> such as inventory and monsters killed, even if these are not requested
> at the end of the game?

Umm, it's a bit over a year since I changed the dump patch to always write
those things.
Of course, a patch version older than that may still be used somewhere..
and I don't know what is the case with nethack.alt.org.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

> There's no reason to remove this file during the (modified) logrotate --
> just copy it to user.lastgame.txt.0(.gz), and let it be overwritten once
> the character dies/ascends. When the user logs in to dgamelaunch, you
> could determine whether or not to do a rotate by comparing the timestamps
> of user.lastgame.txt and user.lastgame.txt.0

Hmm, that brings me to another idea.

Right now I do this:
create DUMPPATH/USER/USER.TIMESTAMP.txt
remove DUMPPATH/USER/USER.lastgame.txt
symlink DUMPPATH/USER/USER.lastgame.txt to USER.TIMESTAMP.txt

guess if I had done this:
create DUMPPATH/USER/USER.TIMESTAMP.txt
remove DUMPPATH/USER.lastgame.txt
symlink DUMPPATH/USER.lastgame.txt to USER.TIMESTAMP.txt

There would have been no need to patch Rodney/Pallas.

Greetings,
Benjamin