Output audio through 2 different devices at the same time

BATSHTCRAZY

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hey there first time posting on Tom's... Hopefully I get a good answer ahaha

Here's what I'm trying to do. I have an HDTV connected to my computer to serve as a monitor. I used an HDMI connection so therefore I get the computer's sound through the TV. I also have a 5.1 digital surround system that I use, connected through a Optical Digital Audio Cable.

Now my problem is, I can change between the 2 devices by going into "Playback Devices" (right clock the sound icon in the bottom right corner) and then setting either audio device as the "Default Device". However I want to play audio from both of them at once, that way I don't have to switch the settings everytime I decide to use surround sound.

Is there any simple way to do this? Or do I just have to resign myself to switching in between each time?

My specs are

Asus M5A97 motherboard

Asus Radeon HD 7850 graphics card with HDMI out (this is what my TV is connected to and gets Audio through)

Realtek HD Audio (onboard), I have both regular jacks and an Optical jack, I use the optical jack for my surround sound.

Thanks in advance for your help! :]

This issue has actually came up once before.

You would have to have two physical audio devices (in this case cards) in order to achieve what you are wanting to do or configure Windows to behave the way you want it.

Look HERE for some information on how to accomplish it and there is also a video tutorial HERE but it is based off XP but should be relatively similar.

More info can also be found HERE .

Link to the previous Tom's response found HERE .

Luke Barker

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

I have a Realtek HD on-board audio as well. I also have my TV connected to my graphics card via HDMI which provides the audio signal to the TV. Is there a way to have the sound from my TV via HDMI and my Surround sound via SP/DIF at the same time?

Matthew Harris

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013

Yes. If you follow the video, then your HDMI TV will be listed as a PLAYBACK DEVICE in the Playback tab (Probably a model number which would appear cryptic). This would be the device that you choose in the "Playback through this device:" drop down menu in the "Stereo Mix" properties dialog. Then you would set SP/DIF as your default audio device. Whatever plays in the SP/DIF output will be routed to Stereo Mix which is set to route the audio to your HDMI TV.

G

I dont know if this will help anyone, but I had the same issue...
I first hooked up my headset (tritton ax720) and my SP2500 speakers, to my XFI Titanium HD, first it didnt work (tried all the "what u hear" and VAC things, but the audio wasnt any good on the secondary device) I then thought that maybe i can output one through my onboard audio, i installed the driver but windows didnt even pick the onboard soundcard up...
But for some very odd reason both of the outputs (SPDIF and analog) work now! without "what u hear" and any invisible cables, i have no idea how this worked but I now have output to both devices and the audio quality is the same! :)
Good luck to anyone with the same issue, i know it can be frustrating!

PS! really old account (didnt even know i have one) so dont mind the username :p

bebop460

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
"A few months late on this. Windows doesn't directly support this but if you have a proper sound card (I have a Realtek HD Audio sound card on-board my mobo) then you can achieve this capability. I made a video on YouTube with steps in the description. http://youtu.be/Jb_VU8LfQZA" (cant get quotes to work right)

I tried this several times in the past few years, and had about given up. After watching your youtube video, I had it working in 2 minutes. I'm shocked that it worked (stereo mix was listed as a recording device) and how much better it sounds (didnt think the TV set would enhance a surround setup much). Thanks for posting your video. I'd thank you on YT but dont have an account there yet.

uomoazione

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Hi guys,
I need to play audioprocessed by my usb xonar u3 (with virtual surround process ina stereo signal) through a stereo headset connected by a usb dongle (playstation wireless gold headset 2.0) that don't support virtual surround in windows.

Is this possible?

Stephan1988

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
just use the windows solution:

in the volume mixier you can pick the divice u want. independent device or speakers.
Each device can have their own volume settings per application

bufa90

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

hazed7

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
Hi,

I've had a similar problem. Needed simultaneous audio from hdmi & analogue for a second zone (2.0 only).

Iv'e just bought this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Converter-Extractor-Digital-Analogue-BLACK/sim/B00H8T1DJ8/2 - and the manufacture has confirmed that you can get simultaneous output from it. digital & analogue. Will report back when its fitted.

There are other versions / manufactures available however some don't do analogue if the signal is DTS HD etc. dyor

schneemanngaming

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Hi,

there is a very easy way to output audio on two devices at the same time:
1. for Realtek devices you can use the Audio-mixer "trick" (but this will give you a delay / echo)
2. for everything else (and without echo) you can use Voicemeeter (which is totaly free).

I have explained BOTH solutions in this video:
https://youtu.be/lpvae_2WOSQ

Best Regards

muanis

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
! :][/quotemsg]

I found this video that shouldl Assist In What You Wants To Do. It Basically Makes your speakers the default and then creates a link from your output and input using Studio mixer built into Windows 7 see the video that explains it pretty well.
I have tested it and it works great.

https://youtu.be/F4WwXiMk0qo

Jol_1

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015

Hi, I have a similar but different issue.
I use dell PC with integrated sound. Lime connector is plugged in to dell soundbar (fitted under monitor) and I would like to connect AV receiver as a stereo input using black connector on sound card. Reason being in most cases I want to use 1 or the other without changing cables etc.
When I set up quadraphonics in Win then I can play sound in soundbar (Lime) but no sound via black which should (in my head). Connection to AV receiver is ok, as sounds can be played when in 5.1 or 7.1 set up in win config or when I plug it in to Lime output.
Where is a problem? What am I doing wrong?

Bo Yu

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I have the same issue. I use a sound bar on optical output as main speaker. I want to enable another set of analog speaker so both set speakers play sound same sound at same time. They are all plug on motherboard audio jack. is this possible ? how?

Carl_26

Commendable
May 16, 2016
The zero expense way to do this is to install Virtual Audio Cable and VB-Cable
You then run two instances of VAC's Audio Repeater, using VB-Cable's OUTPUT as the input, and your intended speakers as the outputs.
Then you make VB-Cable's speakers in playback devices the default device.
Then you play music and enjoy!
Messy though - you need to run Audio Repeater each time you want this sound setup.
Avoids the annoying "trial" voice in VAC's cable, though.