Power Supply Question

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I have a 300 watt power supply in my rig, and I got a blue screen error while my t-bird 1.2/266 was over clocked @ 1.4 ghz. I was thinking this could be a power issue. Here is my rig:

300 Watt Power Supply
ASUS A7V133 mobo
1.2/266 T-Bird AXIA
384 MB Crucial CAS-2 pc133 RAM (256 MB stic, 128 MB stick)
2 Quantum Fireball 7200 RPM HDD (RAID-0 array)
1 Maxtor DiamondMax 5200 rpm drive
HP 4x4x20 CD writer
8x DVD-ROM
Hercules 3d Prophet III
Sound Blaster live 5.1 x-gamer
DLink Nic
FireWire Card
6 Case fans (including hsf)

Should I consider More juice? Seems to run ok at 1.2 @ 1.3ghz... Money is not really an issue for the piece of mind.

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Here's how to tell, if it runs stable at 1.2, but blue screens at 1.4, try disconnecting any fans that are not needed when the case is open (like the front case fan), and one of you CD drives. Leave the case open. If it no longer blue screens, you need a bigger power supply.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I'd say your pushing the psu to the limit, but the BSOD is more likely down to the o/c (IMO), but as said, disconnect some of your components/fans and see how you get on.(keep an eye on temps too)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I dunno.. It is win2k, and it was an NT stop error I've never seen before but I'd be damned if I can remember what it was.. I just remeber it said that and then said "dumping physical RAM" Happening while I was using MS money.. Rock solid at 1.33 ghz, and i think that was pushinh the power supply to the limit if I did my math correctly... So I was thinkign the 1.4 could of went over the edge.

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Another reason why you could be blue screening is because it could be that the memory timings which are set in the BIOS can't take the overclock if you are increasing the FSB. If you are increasing the FSB then try not making the memory timings so low increase them slightly and see how it goes.

let us know how it goes.

Beer is the devil's piss.

hatimh

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
Anyway I have a new enermax 350 watt PSU, they say it's whisper quiet, but that's bullshit, it still makes just like any other PS maybe a little more because it has two fans, but it REALLY is an amazing power supply, it oozes quality, you can see for yourself.

Beer is the devil's piss.

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
No Sir, no fsb changes (Yet :tongue: ) only multiplier. I am considering a new power supply though cause it did this with a geforce mx, and i got a 3d prophet III today, and thats gonna suck in more juice.