YAAP Mary Ran-Elf-Cha-Fem

Finally! After three near misses (a YASD in Gehennom and two accidents
on the Quest involving Stormy, Orion and banishment) I've ascended a
ranger. The key thing I've learned from playing rangers is that the
bow is a very, very useful weapon in the early/mid game, and is also
great when dealing with mindflayers, disenchanters, rust monsters etc
in the late game if you're playing genoless.

The distribution of stuff in this game was very odd - there were about
6 wands of poly, 5 wands of death and 4 scrolls of charging which were
just lying around in the dungeon. But there was no BoH until Gehennom,
no Helm of Brilliance until polypiling and no Gauntlets of Dexterity at
all. There were also no silver or gray dragon scales (although I
prefer YDSM anyway if I can't #twoweapon).

==Story==

Mary the ranger started off with the intention of being a spellcaster
with good fighting skills as a back-up. There was nothing interesting
on the early levels so she headed down to Minetown and discovered a
co-aligned altar and a very friendly priest. She sacrificed a few
corpses and very quickly was granted Stormy and Orcrist by Mars. She
continued sacrificing to try and get Magicbane, but ended up only with
Trollsbane and a few golden glows. She set up a stash in the temple
and then set off for Sokoban. AC -8 at this point.

On level 4 she discovered the grave of Chris, who had been killed by a
rabid rat. He'd died next to a chaotic altar, and had a number of
wands, scrolls and spellbooks, a cloak of protection and two cloaks of
magic resistance. Mary was disappointed not to find a spellbook of
identify, which would have made sorting through all of her new-found
stuff a lot easier.

On dlvl 6 Mary found an armour shop which contained gauntlets of power.
She was to wear these for the rest of the game, and find them
particularly useful for arm-wrestling in the Demigod Bar. She then
went down to Sokoban, and retrieved the amulet from the top level. The
journey through the puzzle was unremarkable apart from an encounter
with a Master Lich, which was quickly dispatched with Stormy. Mary was
very thankful for her MR during the fight.

Her next task was to get the luckstone from Mine's End. On the way she
killed and ate a tengu corpse which gave her teleportitis but no
teleport control. She managed to find the luckstone despite the
inconvenience of teleportitis.

Back in the main dungeon, she descended to dlvl 11 and found another
altar. A quick investigation of the vault on that level revealed the
entrance to Fort Ludios, and Mary decided to clear it out and then head
back to Minetown to buy favours from the priest. Ludios contained a
peaceful gremlin, which promptly started multiplying. Fortunately,
Mary was able to complete the level before it filled up with gremlins.

With a huge pile of stuff and no bags of any sort, Mary decided to have
a sacfest in order to try and get a spellbook of identify. After a
while she hadn't had any luck so she took all the gold from Ludios to
minetown and paid off the priest. She then moved the minetown stash to
the main stash that was growing increasingly large on dlvl 4.
Identifying a bunch of rings in a sink revealed that one of them was
teleport control so she put it on.

At this point the key missing bits of equipment were a bag of holding
of a book of ID, so she decided to head for the Quest to see if it
yielded either. She entered carefully, remembering that two of her
predecessors had accidentally angered Orion by hitting him with Stormy,
and managed to rescue the Longbow of Diana without too much trouble.

Back at the stash, Mary was pleased to discover that the boots she'd
picked up in the quest were boots of speed, the ring was Slow Digestion
and the helmet was a Helm of Opposite Alignment. Unfortunately, the
process of finding out about the [HoOA meant that she lost 11 points of
protection...

She then spent a lot more time trying to get a book of ID from Mars,
but to no avail. Deciding to descend once again her lack of a BoH
(although she had a sack by this point) meant that she had to keep
returning to the stash to drop things off. Eventually something
dropped a wand of poly and she decided to polypile her huge mound of
spellbooks to see if she could get ID that way. She took a load of
stuff to Ludios, made an armour pile, a unihorn pile and a spellbook
pile and zapped. Three zaps later the book of ID appeared - it was the
36th spellbook she'd found!! She also managed to get a magic marker
and a t-shirt from polypiling.

At this point she used the scales from a dragon previously killed in
Ludios to make some YDSM to take her AC to -28.

On Medusa's level Perseus yielded a shield of reflection and levitation
boots. Descending to the castle she found another tengu and ate the
corpse which finally gave her teleport control. She ditched the ring.
The castle was dealt with using music and conflict, and the wand was
0:1. Since she had a couple of scrolls of charging, a couple of magic
markers and a nearly full AK she decided to try for wishless conduct.

Mary then cleared VotD and killed Asmodeus and Yeenoghu (summoned by a
master lich in Asmodeus' Lair). She decided at this point to head back
to the stash for some alchemy. This took her HP from 242 to 458. Then
she went to Ludios and polypiled for a while but didn't get anything
useful apart from an oilskin sack (an upgrade to the sack she was
using). She went down to Minetown and killed the priest so that she
could donate all the money to the priest in the VotD. She ended up
with slightly over 100,000 zorkmids, taking her AC to -38 (naked AC 1).
At this point she decided that genoless was a realistic option.

On dlvl 30 she finally found a bag of holding. Three steps later she
bumped into Jubilex. She had been fighting some bone devils and other
demons at the time. Could one of them have summoned Jubilex from his
level? She killed Jubilex and took his potion of full healing for
later. Why didn't he use it?

She then fell through a trap door and landed near some stairs going
upwards. Ascending, she found Baalzebub. A master lich summoned a
cockatrice so she killed it and stoned the lich and Baalzebub with its
corpse. She then popped downstairs again and found that she couldn't
teleport. Could this be Orcus' Town? It turned out that it was, and
she snuck up to him to try and stone him before he woke up. Orcus woke
up, zapped his wand of death and summoned Demogorgon. Fortunately,
Mary managed to stone them both in the next turn. She lost her
intrinsic speed to a shade in Orcus Town, though.

Mary descended to the VS, digging passageways along the way. She made
one further trip to the stash during this final descent, during which
she killed and ate a quantum mechanic to regain her intrinsic speed.
She also sorted our her AK and put all of her unwanted equipment in a
pile to zap with a wand of poly. The first item in the pile was a helm
of brilliance, which she'd been looking for all game. Enchanting this
took her AC to -40.

After finding the VS and clearing most of Rodney's tower Mary made her
final trip to the stash, making sure I had everything ready. She then
killed Rodney, performed the invocation and started the ascension run.
On the way back up, the force only kicked in 10 times. The planes were
surprisingly quick and painless. The right hand altar was guarded by
Death, but turned out to be neutral. The middle one was guarded by
Pestillence who isn't really a problem with a wand of death. It turned
out to be chaotic.

==Dump==

You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Mars...--More--
An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...--More--
The voice of Mars rings out: "Congratulations, mortal!"--More--
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"
--More--
You ascend to the status of Demigoddess...--More--

<snip picture>

Mary the Scout St:25 Dx:18 Co:16 In:21 Wi:23 Ch:10
Chaotic
Astral Plane $:0 HP:405(495) Pw:156(156) AC:-40 Exp:17 T:131283
Satiated

Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (n)

Amulets
e - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
f - an uncursed amulet of life saving
j - an uncursed amulet of life saving
n - a cheap plastic imitation of the Amulet of Yendor
M - an uncursed amulet of life saving
Weapons
a - the blessed rustproof +6 Stormbringer (weapon in hand)
b - the blessed +6 Longbow of Diana
c - 60 blessed +7 elven arrows (in quiver)
q - the rustproof +7 Giantslayer -> found on Astral Plane
Armor
o - a blessed +5 shield of reflection (being worn)
p - a cursed fireproof +4 cloak of magic resistance (being worn)
t - a blessed +4 yellow dragon scale mail (being worn)
y - a blessed rustproof +4 helm of brilliance (being worn)
z - a blessed fireproof +4 T-shirt (being worn)
G - a blessed +1 pair of gauntlets of power (being worn)
W - an uncursed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
Other stuff
magic lamp for light
invocation artefacts
rings of slow digestion, conflict, levitation, regeneration
two wands of death

Contents of the bag of holding:

an uncursed amulet of magical breathing -> took off for Astral
a cheap plastic imitation of the Amulet of Yendor
a wand of death (0:0)
a wand of death (1:0)
a wand of death (0:5)
a wand of wishing (0:1) -> never used
the rustproof +0 Trollsbane
the fireproof +0 Orcrist
the rustproof +0 Frost Brand
a cursed figurine of a cockatrice -> emergency rubber chicken
2 cursed potions of gain level -> always forget to use these
an uncursed -1 helm of opposite alignment -> insurance policy
2 blessed scrolls of charging
3 uncursed scrolls of fire

Do you want to see your attributes? [ynq] (n)

Final Attributes:

You were the Glory of Arioch.
You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were disintegration-resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were level-drain resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You were acid resistant.
You saw invisible.
You were telepathic.
You had automatic searching.
You had infravision.
You were invisible to others.
You were stealthy.
You could teleport.
You had teleport control.
You had slower digestion.
You were protected.
You were very fast.
You had reflection.
Your life would have been saved.
You were very lucky.
You had extra luck.
Good luck did not time out for you.
You survived.

Do you want an account of creatures vanquished? [ynq] (n)

Vanquished creatures:

Demogorgon
Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (9 times)
Death (thrice)
Pestilence (twice)
Medusa
Croesus
Scorpius
Vlad the Impaler
119 soldiers -> highest single

4041 creatures vanquished.
--More--

Do you want to see your conduct? [ynq] (n)

Voluntary challenges:

You never genocided any monsters.
You never changed form.
You used no wishes.

Goodbye Mary the Demigoddess...

You went to your reward with 4084454 points,
Stormbringer (worth 8000 zorkmids and 20000 points)
The Longbow of Diana (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
Trollsbane (worth 200 zorkmids and 500 points)
Orcrist (worth 2000 zorkmids and 5000 points)
Frost Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
Giantslayer (worth 200 zorkmids and 500 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
19 aquamarine stones (worth 28500 zorkmids),
16 rubies (worth 56000 zorkmids),
13 jade stones (worth 3900 zorkmids),
12 garnet stones (worth 8400 zorkmids),
11 amethyst stones (worth 6600 zorkmids),
9 emeralds (worth 22500 zorkmids),
9 chrysoberyl stones (worth 6300 zorkmids),
7 diamonds (worth 28000 zorkmids),
7 sapphires (worth 21000 zorkmids),
6 jacinth stones (worth 19500 zorkmids),
6 turquoise stones (worth 12000 zorkmids),
6 topaz stones (worth 5400 zorkmids),
5 jasper stones (worth 2500 zorkmids),
5 agate stones (worth 1000 zorkmids),
4 fluorite stones (worth 1600 zorkmids),
3 obsidian stones (worth 600 zorkmids),
2 jet stones (worth 1700 zorkmids),
2 opals (worth 1600 zorkmids),
1 dilithium crystal (worth 4500 zorkmids),
4 amulets of life saving (worth 600 zorkmids),
2 cheap plastic imitations of the Amulet of Yendor (worth 0
zorkmids),
1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 5946 pieces of gold, after 131283 moves.
You were level 17 with a maximum of 495 hit points when you ascended.

--More--

You made the top ten list!

No Name Hp
1 62559695 Hall-Tou-Hum-Mal-Neu ascended to demigod-hood 5692
2 6613898 Flange-Val-Dwa-Fem-Law ascended to demigoddess-hood 676
3 4916762 Gamma-Wiz-Elf-Mal-Cha ascended to demigod-hood 312
4 4084454 Mary-Ran-Elf-Fem-Cha ascended to demigoddess-hood 405
5 2895465 Traylor-Tou-Hum-Mal-Neu died on the Astral Plane.
Killed by Pestilence (with the Amulet) -
6 2642359 Akinomoto-Sam-Hum-Mal-Law quit on the Astral Plane 458

Panu Lahtinen wrote:
> Magicbane is neutral, elven rangers are chaotic -> no MB through
sac-fest.

That explains a lot. Certainly a lesson I won't forget - not having
that knowledge cost me about 40,000 turns...

Darth.

In article <1116490466.351368.105790@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, Darth.
wrote:

> corpses and very quickly was granted Stormy and Orcrist by Mars. She
> continued sacrificing to try and get Magicbane, but ended up only with
> Trollsbane and a few golden glows. She set up a stash in the temple
> and then set off for Sokoban. AC -8 at this point.

Magicbane is neutral, elven rangers are chaotic -> no MB through sac-fest.

> You ascend to the status of Demigoddess...--More--

Congrats!

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

"Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Finally! After three near misses (a YASD in Gehennom and two accidents
> on the Quest involving Stormy, Orion and banishment) I've ascended a
> ranger. The key thing I've learned from playing rangers is that the
> bow is a very, very useful weapon in the early/mid game, and is also
> great when dealing with mindflayers, disenchanters, rust monsters etc
> in the late game if you're playing genoless.
>
> The distribution of stuff in this game was very odd - there were about
> 6 wands of poly, 5 wands of death and 4 scrolls of charging which were
> just lying around in the dungeon. But there was no BoH until Gehennom,
> no Helm of Brilliance until polypiling and no Gauntlets of Dexterity at
> all. There were also no silver or gray dragon scales (although I
> prefer YDSM anyway if I can't #twoweapon).

I've gone with YDSM a couple of times myself.
<snip>

> Back at the stash, Mary was pleased to discover that the boots she'd
> picked up in the quest were boots of speed, the ring was Slow Digestion
> and the helmet was a Helm of Opposite Alignment. Unfortunately, the
> process of finding out about the [HoOA meant that she lost 11 points of
> protection...

Been there, done that, kicked myself.

> Voluntary challenges:
>
> You never genocided any monsters.
> You never changed form.
> You used no wishes.

Well done!

> 6 2642359 Akinomoto-Sam-Hum-Mal-Law quit on the Astral Plane 458

There must be a story there...
Danny

Darth. wrote:

> Panu Lahtinen wrote:
>> Magicbane is neutral, elven rangers are chaotic -> no MB through
> sac-fest.
>
> That explains a lot. Certainly a lesson I won't forget - not having
> that knowledge cost me about 40,000 turns...

At least it didn't cost you your life.

Jorge

Daniel Morris wrote:
> "Darth." <drdarthvader@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > 6 2642359 Akinomoto-Sam-Hum-Mal-Law quit on the Astral Plane 458
>
> There must be a story there...
> Danny

Pretty boring one, I'm afraid. I used Windows XP on that machine.
Akinomoto was was on Astral, sacc'd the amulet, started pasting all the
info into Notepad for the YAAP, and I pressed something by accident
which skipped all the screens. So I turned off the machine, restarted
it and ran the recover program. When I fired him up again he was on
Astral with no amulet.

All for the sake of a YAAP!

Darth.