Inspiron 7500 repair diagnosis

Inspiron 7500
750mhz PIII

When I try to power on I hear a brief second of drive/fan noise and
then nothing. I went thru the paces with Dell support on the phone
and they determined that I had either a bad board or cpu. I'd like to
try and fix this myself... I found the manual on Dells site for
disassembly. Before I start spending $$ on parts and go thru a trial
and error thing I thought I'd ask here for some guidance. I
disassembled down to the DC DC power board (04233T). I friend at work
said that this may be the problem. I can get one off Ebay for $12.
Should I try this first?

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 7500 repair diagnosis

    do you get any image on the screen? do you see any flashing pattern of the
    status lights (power, hard disk activity lights). does it appear that the
    system may be loading (hard disk activity) but you just do not see the
    image? you could try connecting a external monitor to see if you get
    anywhere. or, assuming it is not the screen, to troubleshoot, my approach
    would start with removing as many unnecessary parts as possible; namely the
    hard disk, modular cd, and any external devices (mouse, printers etc).
    reseat the memory and try to boot from a floppy. if it still fails then
    only thing left to try is to open up the machine and remove and reseat the
    processor. try to boot again. if that fails then your trial/error approach
    of swapping parts is all that you can do...

    "Vinnie" <vincent.tripodi@extremeconsulting.net> wrote in message
    > Inspiron 7500
    > 750mhz PIII
    >
    > When I try to power on I hear a brief second of drive/fan noise and
    > then nothing. I went thru the paces with Dell support on the phone
    > and they determined that I had either a bad board or cpu. I'd like to
    > try and fix this myself... I found the manual on Dells site for
    > disassembly. Before I start spending $$ on parts and go thru a trial
    > and error thing I thought I'd ask here for some guidance. I
    > disassembled down to the DC DC power board (04233T). I friend at work
    > said that this may be the problem. I can get one off Ebay for $12.
    > Should I try this first?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Make sure your computer has a properly charged battery or is plugged in
    correctly..I had an older inspiron that would come on for a split second and
    then go off..found out the charger had not been working properly and I was
    attempting to start with a low battery. Of course something stupid like
    that probably would not happen to other people

    > do you get any image on the screen? do you see any flashing pattern of
    the
    > status lights (power, hard disk activity lights). does it appear that the
    > system may be loading (hard disk activity) but you just do not see the
    > image? you could try connecting a external monitor to see if you get
    > anywhere. or, assuming it is not the screen, to troubleshoot, my approach
    > would start with removing as many unnecessary parts as possible; namely
    the
    > hard disk, modular cd, and any external devices (mouse, printers etc).
    > reseat the memory and try to boot from a floppy. if it still fails then
    > only thing left to try is to open up the machine and remove and reseat the
    > processor. try to boot again. if that fails then your trial/error
    approach
    > of swapping parts is all that you can do...
    >
    > "Vinnie" <vincent.tripodi@extremeconsulting.net> wrote in message
    > > Inspiron 7500
    > > 750mhz PIII
    > >
    > > When I try to power on I hear a brief second of drive/fan noise and
    > > then nothing. I went thru the paces with Dell support on the phone
    > > and they determined that I had either a bad board or cpu. I'd like to
    > > try and fix this myself... I found the manual on Dells site for
    > > disassembly. Before I start spending $$ on parts and go thru a trial
    > > and error thing I thought I'd ask here for some guidance. I
    > > disassembled down to the DC DC power board (04233T). I friend at work
    > > said that this may be the problem. I can get one off Ebay for $12.
    > > Should I try this first?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    No image, no flashing pattern of lights (the power light comes on and stays
    on but never the hard disk light). Dell had me remove all peripherals 1 by
    1 (battery, drives, etc), reseat memory, video card, try an external
    monitor. Thats when they figured it was either the board or the processor.
    Theres a processor on Ebay now for $100

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6704073688&ssPageNa
    me=STRK:MEWA:IT

    Anyone know the best place to find a board? Where do you guys buy parts?

    Thanks!

    "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > do you get any image on the screen? do you see any flashing pattern of
    > the status lights (power, hard disk activity lights). does it appear
    > that the system may be loading (hard disk activity) but you just do not
    > see the image? you could try connecting a external monitor to see if you
    > get anywhere. or, assuming it is not the screen, to troubleshoot, my
    > approach would start with removing as many unnecessary parts as possible;
    > namely the hard disk, modular cd, and any external devices (mouse,
    > printers etc). reseat the memory and try to boot from a floppy. if it
    > still fails then only thing left to try is to open up the machine and
    > remove and reseat the processor. try to boot again. if that fails then
    > your trial/error approach of swapping parts is all that you can do...
    >
    > "Vinnie" <vincent.tripodi@extremeconsulting.net> wrote in message
    > > Inspiron 7500
    > > 750mhz PIII
    > >
    > > When I try to power on I hear a brief second of drive/fan noise and
    > > then nothing. I went thru the paces with Dell support on the phone
    > > and they determined that I had either a bad board or cpu. I'd like to
    > > try and fix this myself... I found the manual on Dells site for
    > > disassembly. Before I start spending $$ on parts and go thru a trial
    > > and error thing I thought I'd ask here for some guidance. I
    > > disassembled down to the DC DC power board (04233T). I friend at work
    > > said that this may be the problem. I can get one off Ebay for $12.
    > > Should I try this first?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    Your symptom sounds like an improperly seated processor. I have seen this
    on numerous MMC-1 and MMC-2 laptops. Have you reseated the processor, you
    have to push hard with two fingers on the small circle indentions on the top
    of the processor above the connector. Don't be afraid of pushing too hard.
    It takes a lot of force. Be sure the laptop is on a flat and solid surface
    and push hard. See Stonent's site here for the information about your
    model.

    http://home.comcast.net/~stonent/

    see the 1st FAQ on the I7500 page.

    Bill

    <vincent.tripodi@nospam.extremeconsulting.net> wrote in message
    > No image, no flashing pattern of lights (the power light comes on and
    stays
    > on but never the hard disk light). Dell had me remove all peripherals 1
    by
    > 1 (battery, drives, etc), reseat memory, video card, try an external
    > monitor. Thats when they figured it was either the board or the
    processor.
    > Theres a processor on Ebay now for $100

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6704073688&ssPageNa
    > me=STRK:MEWA:IT
    >
    > Anyone know the best place to find a board? Where do you guys buy parts?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > > do you get any image on the screen? do you see any flashing pattern of
    > > the status lights (power, hard disk activity lights). does it appear
    > > that the system may be loading (hard disk activity) but you just do not
    > > see the image? you could try connecting a external monitor to see if
    you
    > > get anywhere. or, assuming it is not the screen, to troubleshoot, my
    > > approach would start with removing as many unnecessary parts as
    possible;
    > > namely the hard disk, modular cd, and any external devices (mouse,
    > > printers etc). reseat the memory and try to boot from a floppy. if it
    > > still fails then only thing left to try is to open up the machine and
    > > remove and reseat the processor. try to boot again. if that fails then
    > > your trial/error approach of swapping parts is all that you can do...
    > >
    > > "Vinnie" <vincent.tripodi@extremeconsulting.net> wrote in message
    > > > Inspiron 7500
    > > > 750mhz PIII
    > > >
    > > > When I try to power on I hear a brief second of drive/fan noise and
    > > > then nothing. I went thru the paces with Dell support on the phone
    > > > and they determined that I had either a bad board or cpu. I'd like to
    > > > try and fix this myself... I found the manual on Dells site for
    > > > disassembly. Before I start spending $$ on parts and go thru a trial
    > > > and error thing I thought I'd ask here for some guidance. I
    > > > disassembled down to the DC DC power board (04233T). I friend at work
    > > > said that this may be the problem. I can get one off Ebay for $12.
    > > > Should I try this first?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!

    Bill

    That was it. Thanks VERY much.

    Vinnie

    "Bill Mills" <williem@mindspring.com> wrote:
    > Your symptom sounds like an improperly seated processor.

Dell Inspiron Computers