Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Inspiron 7500 repair diagnosis

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 28, 2004 5:56:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Inspiron 7500
750mhz PIII

When I try to power on I hear a brief second of drive/fan noise and
then nothing. I went thru the paces with Dell support on the phone
and they determined that I had either a bad board or cpu. I'd like to
try and fix this myself... I found the manual on Dells site for
disassembly. Before I start spending $$ on parts and go thru a trial
and error thing I thought I'd ask here for some guidance. I
disassembled down to the DC DC power board (04233T). I friend at work
said that this may be the problem. I can get one off Ebay for $12.
Should I try this first?

Thanks!
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 1:32:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

do you get any image on the screen? do you see any flashing pattern of the
status lights (power, hard disk activity lights). does it appear that the
system may be loading (hard disk activity) but you just do not see the
image? you could try connecting a external monitor to see if you get
anywhere. or, assuming it is not the screen, to troubleshoot, my approach
would start with removing as many unnecessary parts as possible; namely the
hard disk, modular cd, and any external devices (mouse, printers etc).
reseat the memory and try to boot from a floppy. if it still fails then
only thing left to try is to open up the machine and remove and reseat the
processor. try to boot again. if that fails then your trial/error approach
of swapping parts is all that you can do...

"Vinnie" <vincent.tripodi@extremeconsulting.net> wrote in message
news:b2148cd5.0408281256.24a815c0@posting.google.com...
> Inspiron 7500
> 750mhz PIII
>
> When I try to power on I hear a brief second of drive/fan noise and
> then nothing. I went thru the paces with Dell support on the phone
> and they determined that I had either a bad board or cpu. I'd like to
> try and fix this myself... I found the manual on Dells site for
> disassembly. Before I start spending $$ on parts and go thru a trial
> and error thing I thought I'd ask here for some guidance. I
> disassembled down to the DC DC power board (04233T). I friend at work
> said that this may be the problem. I can get one off Ebay for $12.
> Should I try this first?
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 1:32:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Make sure your computer has a properly charged battery or is plugged in
correctly..I had an older inspiron that would come on for a split second and
then go off..found out the charger had not been working properly and I was
attempting to start with a low battery. Of course something stupid like
that probably would not happen to other people


"Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:8S6Yc.5562$Rk.525@trndny03...
> do you get any image on the screen? do you see any flashing pattern of
the
> status lights (power, hard disk activity lights). does it appear that the
> system may be loading (hard disk activity) but you just do not see the
> image? you could try connecting a external monitor to see if you get
> anywhere. or, assuming it is not the screen, to troubleshoot, my approach
> would start with removing as many unnecessary parts as possible; namely
the
> hard disk, modular cd, and any external devices (mouse, printers etc).
> reseat the memory and try to boot from a floppy. if it still fails then
> only thing left to try is to open up the machine and remove and reseat the
> processor. try to boot again. if that fails then your trial/error
approach
> of swapping parts is all that you can do...
>
> "Vinnie" <vincent.tripodi@extremeconsulting.net> wrote in message
> news:b2148cd5.0408281256.24a815c0@posting.google.com...
> > Inspiron 7500
> > 750mhz PIII
> >
> > When I try to power on I hear a brief second of drive/fan noise and
> > then nothing. I went thru the paces with Dell support on the phone
> > and they determined that I had either a bad board or cpu. I'd like to
> > try and fix this myself... I found the manual on Dells site for
> > disassembly. Before I start spending $$ on parts and go thru a trial
> > and error thing I thought I'd ask here for some guidance. I
> > disassembled down to the DC DC power board (04233T). I friend at work
> > said that this may be the problem. I can get one off Ebay for $12.
> > Should I try this first?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 6:01:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

No image, no flashing pattern of lights (the power light comes on and stays
on but never the hard disk light). Dell had me remove all peripherals 1 by
1 (battery, drives, etc), reseat memory, video card, try an external
monitor. Thats when they figured it was either the board or the processor.
Theres a processor on Ebay now for $100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...
me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Anyone know the best place to find a board? Where do you guys buy parts?

Thanks!


"Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> do you get any image on the screen? do you see any flashing pattern of
> the status lights (power, hard disk activity lights). does it appear
> that the system may be loading (hard disk activity) but you just do not
> see the image? you could try connecting a external monitor to see if you
> get anywhere. or, assuming it is not the screen, to troubleshoot, my
> approach would start with removing as many unnecessary parts as possible;
> namely the hard disk, modular cd, and any external devices (mouse,
> printers etc). reseat the memory and try to boot from a floppy. if it
> still fails then only thing left to try is to open up the machine and
> remove and reseat the processor. try to boot again. if that fails then
> your trial/error approach of swapping parts is all that you can do...
>
> "Vinnie" <vincent.tripodi@extremeconsulting.net> wrote in message
> news:b2148cd5.0408281256.24a815c0@posting.google.com...
> > Inspiron 7500
> > 750mhz PIII
> >
> > When I try to power on I hear a brief second of drive/fan noise and
> > then nothing. I went thru the paces with Dell support on the phone
> > and they determined that I had either a bad board or cpu. I'd like to
> > try and fix this myself... I found the manual on Dells site for
> > disassembly. Before I start spending $$ on parts and go thru a trial
> > and error thing I thought I'd ask here for some guidance. I
> > disassembled down to the DC DC power board (04233T). I friend at work
> > said that this may be the problem. I can get one off Ebay for $12.
> > Should I try this first?
> >
> > Thanks!
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 2:31:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Your symptom sounds like an improperly seated processor. I have seen this
on numerous MMC-1 and MMC-2 laptops. Have you reseated the processor, you
have to push hard with two fingers on the small circle indentions on the top
of the processor above the connector. Don't be afraid of pushing too hard.
It takes a lot of force. Be sure the laptop is on a flat and solid surface
and push hard. See Stonent's site here for the information about your
model.

http://home.comcast.net/~stonent/

see the 1st FAQ on the I7500 page.

Bill

<vincent.tripodi@nospam.extremeconsulting.net> wrote in message
news:20040829100131.117$EL@newsreader.com...
> No image, no flashing pattern of lights (the power light comes on and
stays
> on but never the hard disk light). Dell had me remove all peripherals 1
by
> 1 (battery, drives, etc), reseat memory, video card, try an external
> monitor. Thats when they figured it was either the board or the
processor.
> Theres a processor on Ebay now for $100
>
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...
> me=STRK:MEWA:IT
>
> Anyone know the best place to find a board? Where do you guys buy parts?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> > do you get any image on the screen? do you see any flashing pattern of
> > the status lights (power, hard disk activity lights). does it appear
> > that the system may be loading (hard disk activity) but you just do not
> > see the image? you could try connecting a external monitor to see if
you
> > get anywhere. or, assuming it is not the screen, to troubleshoot, my
> > approach would start with removing as many unnecessary parts as
possible;
> > namely the hard disk, modular cd, and any external devices (mouse,
> > printers etc). reseat the memory and try to boot from a floppy. if it
> > still fails then only thing left to try is to open up the machine and
> > remove and reseat the processor. try to boot again. if that fails then
> > your trial/error approach of swapping parts is all that you can do...
> >
> > "Vinnie" <vincent.tripodi@extremeconsulting.net> wrote in message
> > news:b2148cd5.0408281256.24a815c0@posting.google.com...
> > > Inspiron 7500
> > > 750mhz PIII
> > >
> > > When I try to power on I hear a brief second of drive/fan noise and
> > > then nothing. I went thru the paces with Dell support on the phone
> > > and they determined that I had either a bad board or cpu. I'd like to
> > > try and fix this myself... I found the manual on Dells site for
> > > disassembly. Before I start spending $$ on parts and go thru a trial
> > > and error thing I thought I'd ask here for some guidance. I
> > > disassembled down to the DC DC power board (04233T). I friend at work
> > > said that this may be the problem. I can get one off Ebay for $12.
> > > Should I try this first?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 2:52:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Bill

That was it. Thanks VERY much.

Vinnie

"Bill Mills" <williem@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Your symptom sounds like an improperly seated processor.
!