DJ_piotrek

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Well anyway got my xp few weeks ago and few days ago i installed norton antivirus, but when i try to scan the system or open it it will not do anything, i try pc cliin and mcafee but all of them do the same thing, i also keep on getting emials to my outlook adressed form myself to myself and it's always the same messages, i think it's one of those new emial viruses? Well do anybody has any idea what to do???? also because of that my pc is a lot slower.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Sounds like you're infected with something that disabled your antivirus. THat's the problem with buying AV software after you've already been infected. At that point it's too late. I would email symantec support and ask them how to proceed. They will probably email you a link for a tool to remove that virus.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

DJ_piotrek

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Finally found out what's wrong, it's a virus called
w32.yaha.k.@mm
now symatec has a tool to romove them but it's only for
w32.symatec.e.@mm and w32.symatec.f.@mm
and it is not working on my virus, how can i get a tool to remove it??????? Symatec doesn't even post emial adress on theri website it's all automated and stupid. I had MCafee before norton and thats when i got the virus. Any suggestions?????

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
They have complete instructions on removing this virus at <A HREF="http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.k@mm.html" target="_new">http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.k@mm.html</A>. It starts with this and leads into full instructions.

If the worm has run, do the following:

1. Download the updated virus definitions using the Intelligent Updater, but do not install them.
2. Restart the computer in Safe mode.
3. Copy Regedit.exe to Reg.com.
4. Edit the registry and reverse the changes the worm made.
5. Start your Symantec antivirus software. If it does not start or properly function, re-install it.
6. Install the Intelligent Updater virus definitions you downloaded earlier (step 1).
7. Run a full system scan and delete the files detected as W32.Yaha.K@mm.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

DJ_piotrek

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Thanx alot for the help, i got it under control now, and i'm running norton antivirus, before that i had Mcafee and it didin't stop the virus from infecting the pc, i guess norton is the way to go :)

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Most people feel that way. Just the fact that I've never had a virus in all the years I've been using it, while friends and coworkers with McAfee get them regularily, is enough for me to believe.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I read your posts about Norton AV being the best and stuff. If you don't have any viruses, it's because your "the best" NAV doesn't detect alot of trojans that u get on the net, so u think u r clean. Wanna test you AV? Go on the warez and if at 2 or 3 pages your antivirus doesn't detect a trojan, better change it.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I continualy run scanners for such trojans. I don't get them on my system. And I never said Norton AV will catch everything, that's impossible. No AV software will catch every virus, malicious script or trojan. It would have to be made in the future and sent back in time to do that. My recommendations for using Norton AV are based on years of personal experience with multiple applications. It has never failed me where all others have. If you don't want to use it then by all means spend your money elsewhere. But when people ask my opinion on the subject I will continue to recommend what has worked best for me.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

dhlucke

Polypheme
I couldn't agree more. I've had good luck with NAV as well. It's those times where I forget to install it after a clean install that I get screwed. Those viruses that it doesn't detect have never caused me any harm (knock on wood), so I guess we should be happy.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>