polyself conduct

How come eating a mimic corpse and mimicing into a pile of gold (an orange,
if hallucinating) does not break polyself conduct?

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> How come eating a mimic corpse and mimicing into a
> pile of gold (an orange, if hallucinating) does not
> break polyself conduct?

Or, reading a fortune cookie doesn't break illiterate
conduct...

OT! OOoops! Yeah...I've always wondered about that!

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
> > RecRanger wrote:
>
> >> Or, reading a fortune cookie doesn't break illiterate
> >> conduct...
> >
> > It doesn't?
> >
> > eat.c:
> > case FORTUNE_COOKIE:
> > outrumor(bcsign(otmp), BY_COOKIE);
> > if (!Blind) u.uconduct.literate++;
> >
> > It does if not blind.
>
> As more than one of my would-be illiterate Valks found out
to her detriment.

> Raisse, choked on a fortune cookie

I encountered this in Slash'EM. Perhaps I ran across a bug?
I was trying illiterate character and ate a fortune cookie.
I read the message and immediately went: "D'oh!". Checked
conducts: I was still illiterate.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> How come eating a mimic corpse and mimicing into a pile of gold (an
orange,
> if hallucinating) does not break polyself conduct?

It's not a polymorph. Stats don't change, it doesn't last very long,
etc. You just _look_ like a pile of gold/orange.

Does anyone know if an amulet of unchanging prevents it?

"micromoog" <micromoog@gmail.com> wrote in news:1116622296.603678.27100
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Does anyone know if an amulet of unchanging prevents it?

Wizmode test shows that it does prevent turning into a pile of gold / an
orange. Eating a mimic corpse while wearing a ring of polymorph control
doesn't enable one to choose a new form.

RecRanger wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>
>>How come eating a mimic corpse and mimicing into a
>>pile of gold (an orange, if hallucinating) does not
>>break polyself conduct?
>
> Or, reading a fortune cookie doesn't break illiterate
> conduct...

It doesn't?

eat.c:
case FORTUNE_COOKIE:
outrumor(bcsign(otmp), BY_COOKIE);
if (!Blind) u.uconduct.literate++;

It does if not blind.

> OT! OOoops! Yeah...I've always wondered about that!

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> RecRanger wrote:

>> Or, reading a fortune cookie doesn't break illiterate
>> conduct...
>
> It doesn't?
>
> eat.c:
> case FORTUNE_COOKIE:
> outrumor(bcsign(otmp), BY_COOKIE);
> if (!Blind) u.uconduct.literate++;
>
> It does if not blind.

As more than one of my would-be illiterate Valks found out to her
detriment.

Raisse, choked on a fortune cookie

> I encountered this in Slash'EM. Perhaps I ran across a bug?
> I was trying illiterate character and ate a fortune cookie.
> I read the message and immediately went: "D'oh!". Checked
> conducts: I was still illiterate.

In S you're being asked if you want to read the fortune or not.
That way, you can eat cookies and still remain illiterate.

Greetings,
Benjamin

--
_ _ _ _ _
| \| |___| |_| |_ __ _ __| |__
| .` / -_) _| ' \/ _` / _| / /
|_|\_\___|\__|_||_\__,_\__|_\_\
| | (_)_ _ _ ___ __
| |__| | ' \ || \ \ /
|____|_|_||_\_,_/_\_\
Play Nethack anywhere with an x86 computer:
http://www.crash-override.net/?nethacklinux

On Fri, 20 May 2005, RecRanger wrote:

> Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> > Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> > > It doesn't?
> > >
> > > eat.c:
> > > case FORTUNE_COOKIE:
> > > outrumor(bcsign(otmp), BY_COOKIE);
> > > if (!Blind) u.uconduct.literate++;
> > >
> > > It does if not blind.
> >
> > As more than one of my would-be illiterate Valks found out
> to her detriment.
> >
> > Raisse, choked on a fortune cookie
> >

> I encountered this in Slash'EM. Perhaps I ran across a bug?
> I was trying illiterate character and ate a fortune cookie.
> I read the message and immediately went: "D'oh!". Checked
> conducts: I was still illiterate.

I just tried a slash'em monk to check. Eating the cookie and not reading
the fortune does not break conduct, eating and reading does break. Which
is logical.
But slash'em ask you if you want to read the cookie, whereas nethack does
not, hence the difference.

But, in nethack, reading something written on the floor, or a tombstone,
does not break conduct since you cannot avoid that (in slash'em, you can).

Notice anyway that in slash'em if you engrave X, you're still illiterate
(as in nethack) and if engrave afterthat with a wand of poly,
youautomatically read the new engraving, thus allowing to engrave-id the
wand, but do not break conduct. However, if you want to reread that, that
will break the conduct.
This seems a bit strange, maybe the message for an illiterate character
shouldbe "the engraving now reads something else" and not "the engraving
now read <blabla>".

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

> Notice anyway that in slash'em if you engrave X, you're still illiterate
> (as in nethack) and if engrave afterthat with a wand of poly,
> youautomatically read the new engraving, thus allowing to engrave-id the
> wand, but do not break conduct. However, if you want to reread that, that
> will break the conduct.
> This seems a bit strange, maybe the message for an illiterate character
> shouldbe "the engraving now reads something else" and not "the engraving
> now read <blabla>".

See SLASH'EM Bug #1193070:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1193070&group_id=9746&atid=109746

This is fixed in CVS and will be in the next release I think.

Greetings,
Benjamin
--