Life and Death of DiamondRobin the Tourist

Last response: in Video Games
May 22, 2005 1:40:13 PM

Well, after being the person to finish off ascending DiamondRobin the
Knight I figured that a few hours later I would start a tourist if
nobody else had. So there I went.

Started off with the camera, my snazzy shirt, 34 or so +2 darts and
various other items standard to tourists.

On a shop on dlvl 2, a general store gave me slightly better ac with
standard +0 ring mail. Any ac boost is important for this class as you
start out with only that +0 shirt. So keeping pets around to help find
out what is safe to wear is pretty important. I had ac down to 3 or so
fairly quickly.

Tamed a second kitten around dlvl 3 or so. I think there was a cross-
aligned altar on this dlvl which I just passed up at this point. I
wanted better armor before messing with it. Headed down a few dlvls
looking for various things and finally headed down stairs to dlvl 5. By
the time I hit the downstairs I see a few deadly looking red S's coming
my way. Crud, bones from someone messing with a fountain. I elbereth
on the stairs a few times to keep from being attacked while I work on
getting my pets back up so we can do the mines instead (first mines were
dark and I was a human tourist). Fisrt level of mines and my ac was
down to 1 I think. Second level of mines was nice to me and gave me a
randomly generated BoH. I went down with my pets when I found the
stairs. Minetown. Aligned temple. Exactly 7 candles and 3 brass
lanterns. Darn...there goes the shot at the endless light source for
now. Tool store had a magic marker, and a general store had what were
either fumble or lev boots. I figured I would attempt to #offer for
artifacts at the temple, as I could easly run inside and hide in the
sanctuary if I needed to. I was soon xlvl 9 with no sight of an
artifact. AC was now -3 with the help of some bits of armor from
various minetown guards who seemed to be allergic to kittens. Food
supply was running lower so I figured I would head back up and try to
make sokoban. A few other monsters were getting killed by flying
daggers from the temple. Killed off a gargoyle and it appeared to drop
a wand via death drop. Had an incubus/succubus pick it up and it turned
out to be a wand of lightning. That hurt a bit but I was able to close
the temple door. I waited for it to leave the area while I planned to
make a run for the upstairs.

Phew. Make it upstairs. Still not having mithril I used telepathy and
saw a lone 'h' on the far side of that mine level. As I worked my way
over there were just a few weak little G's in the way. On my way thru
slaughtering them one decided to read a cursed or uncursed but very
unlucky scroll of create monster and surrounded me with some nasty
things. Two yeti's among other sutff. I did the only wise move and
just dug down again. Back into minetown with that darn '&' with the
wand of lightning. In hindsight I should have just dug down and headed
for the luckstone but I thought I could reach the upstairs again and
head out to sokoban and the cross-aligned altar for artifacts later.
Zap. Wands of digging and stirking explode. No escape mechanizims.
Too much HP to pray. I tried moving out of diagonal and taking out a
blessed extra healing potion but got zapped to death the next turn
before being able to drink it up.

I may have played a slightly high number of turns in that game, but with
the situation on dlvl 5 and the wand of lightning that turned up in
minetown it would be hard to easily warn folks about that. Not to
mention that many turns were used just waiting for monsters to come
along so I could #offer corpses to no avail.

Good luck to whoever starts the next DiamondRobin game.

Anthony, aka. sawtooth on NAO
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 9:11:24 PM

sawtooth wrote:
> Well, after being the person to finish off ascending DiamondRobin the
> Knight I figured that a few hours later I would start a tourist if
> nobody else had. So there I went.

I would also have wished to go as a tourist - it's quite demanding. 8-)

But (as the person who started the last DiamonRobin game ;-) I had played
that Knight, the selection the RNG had chosen.

> I may have played a slightly high number of turns in that game, [...]

Only in that game? :-) I am asking because my contribution in the game
before the last one was just something like 3000+ (of 50000) moves.

> Good luck to whoever starts the next DiamondRobin game.

If I'll be the one, it would again be a random one...

Janis
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:37:50 PM

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> sawtooth wrote:
> Somehow I managed to survive. Decided to go to the mines (lots of
food,
> and maybe a coaligned altar to appease my god); though altar was
cross-
> aligned. :-(

I find that if I need food (usually when Im playing a wizard /
character who casts a lot of spells), I always go straight for sokoban,
as there is a heap of food there, and up untill the zoo it is relativly
easy monster wise, even the zoo is no great problem seeing as they can
only get at you one at a time.
May 23, 2005 12:12:50 AM

sawtooth wrote:

> I may have played a slightly high number of turns in that game, but with
> the situation on dlvl 5 and the wand of lightning that turned up in
> minetown it would be hard to easily warn folks about that. Not to
> mention that many turns were used just waiting for monsters to come
> along so I could #offer corpses to no avail.
>
> Good luck to whoever starts the next DiamondRobin game.

Ok, started a new game, a chaotic human priest; and (nearly) spoiled it.

Many many floating eyes slowed down the game a lot and increased the need
for food.

Was fainting quite for some time while nymphs, cockatrices, and a mumak
were near. Two times close to HP:5, a second prayer after another 1000+
turns had made my god unhappy before. So wrote the E-word until my hands
hurt.

Somehow I managed to survive. Decided to go to the mines (lots of food,
and maybe a coaligned altar to appease my god); though altar was cross-
aligned. :-(

Made like you really _a lot_ moves to get out of the critical situation.
Now the priest is quite stable, but could not yet do anything to mollify
my god.

"AoESP, =RoInvis, +2 mace (expert), key (finally), blindfold (finally).
A chest somewhere (level 4?) with some more money and items.

This game needs quite some development...

Janis
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:19:47 AM

"Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:1116815870.194280.16170
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I find that if I need food (usually when Im playing a wizard /
> character who casts a lot of spells), I always go straight for sokoban,
> as there is a heap of food there, and up untill the zoo it is relativly
> easy monster wise, even the zoo is no great problem seeing as they can
> only get at you one at a time.

Trust me, I know plenty well that sokoban has food. It was just the mess of
water moccasins on dlvl 5 from some bones that kept me from heading there
quickly. My tourist had decent strength but not poison resistance and I
wasn't about to lose str or get poisoned to death.
!