Sign in with
Your question

23" IPS monitor 1920x1080

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 11, 2012 12:17:10 AM

help me search for one under the $200? i tried newegg but they do not have a IPS/VA/TN filter.

i would like dvi.vga.hdmi (vga not so much) tilt,swivel would be nice but not needed

response time 4 or lower? ill be doing gaming on this i hear 4 or lower is a MUST?

More about : ips monitor 1920x1080

a c 99 C Monitor
December 11, 2012 7:23:12 PM

for under $200 the only ips you are likely to find are e-ips and even then most likely low end and refurbished models.

while the increased viewing angle is certainly much better than what you would find on a tn, color accuracy is going to be similar. remember that va, ips and IPS panels are 60hz. only tn panels are available in 120hz in case that interested you.

a response time under 4ms is not required to game. this is gamer spouted garbage.

in general i would say try to stick with a big brand such as viewsonic, acer, asus, dell, etcetera and avoid no-name brands like the plague. you might have to spend a little more, but the peace of mind is worth it.

December 11, 2012 8:23:41 PM

so get TN monitor then??? i dont need 60z. and for brand i was thinking Asus,Samsung,LG. so 12 response time is fine?
Related resources
December 11, 2012 9:19:30 PM

i mean i dont need 120hz*
December 12, 2012 8:08:46 AM

ssddx said:
for under $200 the only ips you are likely to find are e-ips and even then most likely low end and refurbished models.

while the increased viewing angle is certainly much better than what you would find on a tn, color accuracy is going to be similar. remember that va, ips and IPS panels are 60hz. only tn panels are available in 120hz in case that interested you.

a response time under 4ms is not required to game. this is gamer spouted garbage.

in general i would say try to stick with a big brand such as viewsonic, acer, asus, dell, etcetera and avoid no-name brands like the plague. you might have to spend a little more, but the peace of mind is worth it.

I've heard this before about the response time but the person was never able to go into more detail about it. I know as much that the <5ms response time is grey-grey and that apparently slower speeds can be perceptible to the human eye. However IPS monitors tend to have lower response times but better colour reproduction. Is the trade off in response time worth it or is there more to it?
December 12, 2012 8:09:00 AM

THW being crap
December 12, 2012 8:19:27 AM

THW being crap
December 12, 2012 9:27:06 AM

THW being crap
a c 99 C Monitor
December 12, 2012 4:43:18 PM

@mazty

there is absolutely no need for the duplicate useless posts. refrain.

to answer your questions,

response time can be measured grey to grey (gtg) but not always. also different techniques can yield different results. dont put too much faith in the number.

as far as what is perceptible to the human eye, this value differs from person to person. some people say that there is a huge difference between 60hz and 120hz but others such as myself dont see what all of the fuss is about. a 60hz monitor displays a new frame every 16-17 milliseconds which is pretty darn fast (blinking takes 300ms!). its up to the individual to figure out if they can notice the difference or not.

as far as which is better? since 60hz is perfectly fine for me, 8bit or 10bit ips panels are what i would suggest. at bare minimum i would suggest a 6bit e-ips over tn due to the wide viewing angle. as long as you buy a quality screen you shouldnt have any trouble with ghosting.

if you really do notice a big difference between 60hz and 120hz and it bothers you then go 120hz tn. just realize the limitations of the panel type.

whichever is more important to you, go that route.

---

@op

if you do not need 120hz then there is no specific need to go with a tn panel.

i would say you can pick between tn, va and e-ips.

tn: faster response times but poor viewing angles. at an angle colors may invert or grey out. some screen coatings can reduce this a bit.
va: better viewing angle then tn (but i dont know much about this type sorry)
e-ips: slower response time but ultra wide viewing angle. i've heard they have better color accuracy than tn but i have yet to see proof of this. (both are 6bit panels)

12ms should be fine. read reviews to make sure nobody complains about ghosting just to verify. if you get a tn panel the response times should be alot lower due to the panel technology. i would say under 8ms for tn. for e-ips though 12 should be fine.

a b C Monitor
December 12, 2012 10:00:06 PM

Take a look at this one I bought it after the thanksgiving holiday. I purchased this one. Higher contrast ratio one second higher response time. Height adjustment 180 rotation on the screen. Also a Matte finish which means less of a dust/finger print magnet.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 12, 2012 10:42:57 PM

that is very nice but i cant afford that :< and also the other features i dont really need
December 12, 2012 11:28:46 PM

It looks like me and you are in the same boat :p 
$200 for an IPS monitor at 23" lol.
December 12, 2012 11:47:51 PM

that asus one i linked got great reviews we should think about getting it
December 13, 2012 12:23:17 AM

That was the the one I was considering.
Also, Amazon Warehouse Deals has an Asus VG VG23AH for $180
Think I might go for that one.
December 13, 2012 1:08:54 AM

that asus from newegg cost the same but FREE shipping so instead of 202.skdfkss or w/e its just that price cand u link me?
December 13, 2012 2:14:37 AM

I also like the ViewSonic VX2370SMH-LED
December 13, 2012 8:58:15 AM

awh i dont want a used one ill check out that viewsonic
a c 99 C Monitor
December 13, 2012 10:04:01 AM

a note about screen coatings:

glossy: more vivid color, bad glare
anti glare: reduced glare, subdued colors, can be like looking through sand/film
matte: reduced glare, no sandy texture, subdued colors

personally i think matte screens are the best.

as far as used/open box: as long as nothing is wrong with the unit and as long as the same warranty/return conditions are in place its a good way to get a better unit cheaper. just an idea of course.
a b C Monitor
December 13, 2012 4:46:21 PM

I think most tech sites typically prefer matte finish screens. I personally don't think most can tell the difference. I have a feeling most people just see the price and that's the thing they care most about.
December 13, 2012 7:15:15 PM

i like matte finish as well but it wont be an issue for me i dont ever have much lighting in my room anyways so i wont get glare if i got a glossy finish
a c 99 C Monitor
December 13, 2012 7:16:23 PM

@bigshootr8

the difference between screen coatings can be quite a big difference visually. the difference between monitors with the same specs however may not be quite so large.
a b C Monitor
December 13, 2012 8:54:03 PM

It looks like its a semi gloss screen
Quote:
a couple things to note from other reviews i've seen around the interweb - some people complained about a "film" over the screen, and indeed, while it's not truly a matte finish, it's not glossy either. the screen has a sort of pearl finish, so that on white or bright blue screens or screen areas, there is an iridescence there that some may find distracting for very detail-oriented editing projects. on a completely black screen (term used loosely), there is indeed noticeable light bleed from all corners, most noticeably on this particular one on the lower right corner. additionally, this light-bled area, when seen from an angle slightly to the side, does have a bit of a maroon tinge to it. coming from an old TN monitor, however, it still looks good, and that tinge is something i'm used to seeing i suppose.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS239H-P-23-Inch-Full-HD-Mon...
December 13, 2012 9:04:19 PM

bigshootr8 said:
It looks like its a semi gloss screen
Quote:
a couple things to note from other reviews i've seen around the interweb - some people complained about a "film" over the screen, and indeed, while it's not truly a matte finish, it's not glossy either. the screen has a sort of pearl finish, so that on white or bright blue screens or screen areas, there is an iridescence there that some may find distracting for very detail-oriented editing projects. on a completely black screen (term used loosely), there is indeed noticeable light bleed from all corners, most noticeably on this particular one on the lower right corner. additionally, this light-bled area, when seen from an angle slightly to the side, does have a bit of a maroon tinge to it. coming from an old TN monitor, however, it still looks good, and that tinge is something i'm used to seeing i suppose.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS239H-P-23-Inch-Full-HD-Mon...

knowing this... would you get the monitor?
a b C Monitor
December 13, 2012 9:12:18 PM

I don't know I might. I have a much different outlook on hardware then most. I am willing to stretch myself to get the better product. The monitor is good don't get me wrong I'm sure it gets rave reviews. I just prefer the matte finish art oriented monitor that I have the PB238Q. You do get a LED IPS monitor on the cheap though with the one you are interested in so maybe its worth it to you.
I think this is something to take care in choosing same as someone who is looking to buy a computer case you will have your monitor for a long time more then likely I had my last one for a good 4-5 years. So get the one that you feel will last a while.
December 13, 2012 9:57:24 PM

I went ahead with the Asus VG23AH. All three I listed were the same price after rebates, so I went with the 3D one just to see. Amazon carries the normal warranty on it so it's no risk.
December 14, 2012 1:54:23 AM

let me know how that 3D one worked for you. i dont know if i will ever need 3D. it is nice but who knows. thinking of sticking with my original. thanks so much for the help everyone
December 19, 2012 3:30:30 AM

Well, the monitor arrived in one piece, but there were many pieces of debris behind the LCD. It was like the thing was repaired in a dust storm. Amazon is refunding me.
!