YANHQ

Last response: in Video Games
May 23, 2005 4:40:07 AM

Yet Another NetHack Question

hello is there a way to see farther down hallways, as a beginning Valkyrie?
Also is there a list of corpses you shouldn't eat thanks.

More about : yanhq

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 4:51:13 AM

Also if Im nuetral can I use this chaotic altar to Loki? To see if weapons
are cursed, thanks.

"Gerney" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Yet Another NetHack Question
>
> hello is there a way to see farther down hallways, as a beginning
Valkyrie?
> Also is there a list of corpses you shouldn't eat thanks.

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 4:51:14 AM

Gerney babbled on for HOURS on 22 May 2005:

> Also if Im neutral can I use this chaotic altar to Loki? To see if
> weapons are cursed, thanks.

Yes. If you are in a jaunty mood, you might offer a recently killed
corpse on it and see what happens...

> hello is there a way to see farther down hallways, as a beginning
> Valkyrie?

I dunno

> Also is there a list of corpses you shouldn't eat thanks.

Here is my short list. Your mileage may very depending on character
class and current polymorph configuration.

Any named demons
Asphynx
Black mold
Chameleon unless I feel like fooling around (or already have Poly
Control)
Cockatrice
Cockatrice eggs
Disgusting Mold
Eggs found in the wild
Gas Spores (they make me - wait for it - gassy!)
Green Dragons and Babies unless I have Poison Resistance
Green Slime
Grid bugs (don't like the aftertaste, though they are pretty good tinned)
Human - Nurse, Guards, Priest, and their ilk
Kobold
Maggots or any other tiny worm types I can never remember
Medusa
Purple Fungus
Whatever race you are (i.e. don't eat a doppleganger if you are a
doppleganger)
Yellow Dragons and Babies
Yellow Mold

This is once again, a short list and is by no means complete - it was
just off the top of my head. Also I just realized that I do Slash'Em
exclusively, so some of these critters do not apply if you do NH only.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:15:26 AM

Gerney wrote:
> Also if Im nuetral can I use this chaotic altar to Loki? To see if weapons
> are cursed, thanks.

Yes, if you drop items in _any_ altar (and if you're not blind) you
will get the b/u/c status to see.

> "Gerney" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>
>>Yet Another NetHack Question
>>
>>hello is there a way to see farther down hallways, as a beginning
>
> Valkyrie?

There are some sources of light in Nethack that increase the distance
to a few squares; lamps, candles, wands and spells of light.

>>Also is there a list of corpses you shouldn't eat thanks.

Well, I don't know about, but there may be existing, spoiler files
for this. There is the source code that you might want to inspect;
all corpses that are inherently old (zombies and mummies) or marked
as poisonous are unhealthy to eat. You may want to watch what your
cat or dog eats; these corpses are edible.

Janis
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:15:27 AM

Ok some more questions. This game is tough.
Does the more stuff you carry make you get hungry faster? So if I carry less
I dont have to eat as much?

"Janis Papanagnou" <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 6rare$s4h$1@online.de...
> Gerney wrote:
> > Also if Im nuetral can I use this chaotic altar to Loki? To see if
weapons
> > are cursed, thanks.
>
> Yes, if you drop items in _any_ altar (and if you're not blind) you
> will get the b/u/c status to see.
>
> > "Gerney" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Yet Another NetHack Question
> >>
> >>hello is there a way to see farther down hallways, as a beginning
> >
> > Valkyrie?
>
> There are some sources of light in Nethack that increase the distance
> to a few squares; lamps, candles, wands and spells of light.
>
> >>Also is there a list of corpses you shouldn't eat thanks.
>
> Well, I don't know about, but there may be existing, spoiler files
> for this. There is the source code that you might want to inspect;
> all corpses that are inherently old (zombies and mummies) or marked
> as poisonous are unhealthy to eat. You may want to watch what your
> cat or dog eats; these corpses are edible.
>
> Janis
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:15:28 AM

Oh and also is there a way to cook or prepare a corpse early on? So it
doesn't taste so terrible.

> Ok some more questions. This game is tough.
> Does the more stuff you carry make you get hungry faster? So if I carry
less
> I dont have to eat as much?
>

> "Janis Papanagnou" <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 6rare$s4h$1@online.de...
> > Gerney wrote:
> > > Also if Im nuetral can I use this chaotic altar to Loki? To see if
> weapons
> > > are cursed, thanks.
> >
> > Yes, if you drop items in _any_ altar (and if you're not blind) you
> > will get the b/u/c status to see.
> >
> > > "Gerney" <none@none.com> wrote in message

> > > Valkyrie?
> >
> > There are some sources of light in Nethack that increase the distance
> > to a few squares; lamps, candles, wands and spells of light.

> > Well, I don't know about, but there may be existing, spoiler files
> > for this. There is the source code that you might want to inspect;
> > all corpses that are inherently old (zombies and mummies) or marked
> > as poisonous are unhealthy to eat. You may want to watch what your
> > cat or dog eats; these corpses are edible.
> >
> > Janis

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 7:15:29 AM

Gerney babbled on for HOURS on 22 May 2005:

>> Ok some more questions. This game is tough.

Yes. Yes it is. All the more glory when you ascend.

> Oh and also is there a way to cook or prepare a corpse early on? So it
> doesn't taste so terrible.

There is a tool that can "tin" (or "can" as us Yankees call it) a corpse.
They are nice to find, though rather heavy. It makes it nice when you need
giant corpses for extra strength, but don't have the stomach for it just
now.

>> Does the more stuff you carry make you get hungry faster? So if I carry
> less I dont have to eat as much?

Once you become burdened, you do get hungrier faster. Same goes for
Stressed, but to a larger degree. But you can carry up to one pound shy of
Burdened and not increase your digestive process.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:59:27 AM

Phlimm wrote:
> Gerney babbled on for HOURS on 22 May 2005:
> > Also is there a list of corpses you shouldn't eat thanks.
>
> Here is my short list. Your mileage may very depending on character
> Maggots or any other tiny worm types I can never remember

Maggot are fine to eat at any time. Larvae are also fine, once you get
poison resistance.

As a general rule, don't eat any corspe unless you watched it die
yourself. How do you know that gnome corpse under the rock trap came
from a gnome and not a gnome zombie?
-Don't eat old corpses (about 50 turns is the upper limit I use).
-Don't eat the undead (there are exceptions to this, but not in the
early game).
-Don't eat kobolds, larvae , or any other poisonous creature until
you are poison resistant, or have the means to undo poison damage.
-Despite common sense, sewer rats are actually fine to eat.
-Don't eat domestic dogs and cats unless you're really desperate. Wild
canines and felines (ie jackals, dingoes, foxes, tigers) are OK.
Horses/ ponies are fine too (that last bit may be specific. Not
sure).
-Newts are good to eat, but try to time it so that you only eat them
with full PW.
-Don't eat yellow or purple fungi, but DO eat shriekers.
-Only eat puddings if you can afford to lose twenty or thirty HP. If
you can afford it though, it might be worth it.
-Avoid eating unidentified tins; they can hold nasty surprises, and
don't usually give much nutrition anyway. IDed tins can be very useful
though.
-It's generally best to avoid eating tripe, but if you're on the brink
of starvation it can keep you alive a little longer.
-Nymph and leprechaun corpses aren't poisonous, but they can have other
effects you should be wary of.
-If you have nothing better to use the charges on, a wand of polymorph
can really add variety to your dining experience.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:17:23 AM

Gerney wrote:

> Oh and also is there a way to cook or prepare a corpse early on? So it
> doesn't taste so terrible.

No, but fresh raw meat is good for you regardless of the taste.

Raisse, killed by a rotted kobold corpse

May 23, 2005 11:19:41 AM

In article <Roake.187$TJ2.16@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
Gerney <none@none.com> wrote:
>Ok some more questions. This game is tough.

Very tough. I play all the time but I've only ascended twice.

>Does the more stuff you carry make you get hungry faster?

Yes.

> So if I carry less I dont have to eat as much?

Yes. But it's a balance because some of the stuff you carry is very useful.

What many players do is create a stash. Find a box or chest and unload
your stuff into it by looting it. No monster will open a box/chest even
if it is unlocked.

BAJ
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:20:41 AM

In article <Brake.189$TJ2.88@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
Gerney <none@none.com> wrote:
>Oh and also is there a way to cook or prepare a corpse early on?
> So it doesn't taste so terrible.

No. Tasting terrible doesn't change the nutrition value. So that's one
thing you don't need to worry about.

BAJ
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:17:54 PM

Ah yes. Food is good. Food...

> You may want to watch what your
> cat or dog eats; these corpses are edible.

Face it. Your pet cat is smarter than you.

> If you have nothing better to use the charges on, a wand of polymorph
> can really add variety to your dining experience.

LOL...
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:05:39 PM

Phlimm wrote:

>> hello is there a way to see farther down hallways, as a beginning
>> Valkyrie?

> I dunno

Play a DWARVEN valkyrie. They have infravision, so you will at least see
warm-blooded creatures from a distance.

>> Also is there a list of corpses you shouldn't eat thanks.

> Here is my short list. Your mileage may very depending on character
> class and current polymorph configuration.

Note that this list is for Slash'em, not for regular NetHack. The
apshynx, black mold, disgusting mold, maggot and purple fungus are
Slash'em inventions.

Also, demons and gas spores don't leave corpses, so they don't belong in
this list, and eggs are no corpses either.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

May 23, 2005 9:58:57 PM

babbled on for HOURS on 23 May 2005:

> Phlimm wrote:
>> Gerney babbled on for HOURS on 22 May 2005:
>> > Also is there a list of corpses you shouldn't eat thanks.
>>
> As a general rule, don't eat any corspe unless you watched it die
> yourself. How do you know that gnome corpse under the rock trap came
> from a gnome and not a gnome zombie?
> -Don't eat old corpses (about 50 turns is the upper limit I use).

And as always there is an exception. Lichen corpses can be 300,000 turns
old and still be as fresh as when they were first smooshed.

New conduct! Keep the first lichen corpse you find and eat it as the last
great dungeon-based culinary act just before offering the amulet and
ascending!

Talk about kicking it up a notch.

BAM!
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:36:34 AM

I still get rotten food from corpses I just killed, moved maybe 1 or 2
moves, why is that? I'm a ultra beginner.

<dogscoff@eudoramail.com> wrote in message

> Phlimm wrote:
> > Gerney babbled on for HOURS on 22 May 2005:
> > > Also is there a list of corpses you shouldn't eat thanks.
> >
> > Here is my short list. Your mileage may very depending on character
> > Maggots or any other tiny worm types I can never remember
>

> Maggot are fine to eat at any time. Larvae are also fine, once you get
> poison resistance.
>
> As a general rule, don't eat any corspe unless you watched it die
> yourself. How do you know that gnome corpse under the rock trap came
> from a gnome and not a gnome zombie?
> -Don't eat old corpses (about 50 turns is the upper limit I use).
> -Don't eat the undead (there are exceptions to this, but not in the
> early game).
> -Don't eat kobolds, larvae , or any other poisonous creature until
> you are poison resistant, or have the means to undo poison damage.
> -Despite common sense, sewer rats are actually fine to eat.
> -Don't eat domestic dogs and cats unless you're really desperate. Wild
> canines and felines (ie jackals, dingoes, foxes, tigers) are OK.
> Horses/ ponies are fine too (that last bit may be specific. Not
> sure).
> -Newts are good to eat, but try to time it so that you only eat them
> with full PW.
> -Don't eat yellow or purple fungi, but DO eat shriekers.
> -Only eat puddings if you can afford to lose twenty or thirty HP. If
> you can afford it though, it might be worth it.
> -Avoid eating unidentified tins; they can hold nasty surprises, and
> don't usually give much nutrition anyway. IDed tins can be very useful
> though.
> -It's generally best to avoid eating tripe, but if you're on the brink
> of starvation it can keep you alive a little longer.
> -Nymph and leprechaun corpses aren't poisonous, but they can have other
> effects you should be wary of.
> -If you have nothing better to use the charges on, a wand of polymorph
> can really add variety to your dining experience.

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:40:48 AM

"ihope" <ihope127@writing.com> wrote in message
> Ah yes. Food is good. Food...
>
> > You may want to watch what your
> > cat or dog eats; these corpses are edible.
>
> Face it. Your pet cat is smarter than you.

Are you kidding? Or should I pay extra attention to the stuff my pet picks
up? Are these Orcish Helms good for anything, I'm a Samuri.

> > If you have nothing better to use the charges on, a wand of polymorph
> > can really add variety to your dining experience.
>
> LOL...

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:02:36 AM

LOL That is funny, could be dangerous though

> New conduct! Keep the first lichen corpse you find and eat it as the last
> great dungeon-based culinary act just before offering the amulet and
> ascending!
>
> Talk about kicking it up a notch.
>
> BAM!
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:57:27 AM

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Gerney wrote:
>
> >>Also is there a list of corpses you shouldn't eat thanks.
>
> Well, I don't know about, but there may be existing, spoiler files
> for this. There is the source code that you might want to inspect;
> all corpses that are inherently old (zombies and mummies) or marked
> as poisonous are unhealthy to eat. You may want to watch what your
> cat or dog eats; these corpses are edible.

I think a complete spoiler about edible corpses can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/dcorbett42/nethack/corpse.htm

That will probably contains more information about eating corpses that you
want right know...
Any corpses that has nothing writtent neither in the 'initial' nor in the
'final' column will usually be fine to eat (with a few exception already
mentionned).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:00:11 AM

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Toja (formerly Gerney) wrote:

> I still get rotten food from corpses I just killed, moved maybe 1 or 2
> moves, why is that? I'm a ultra beginner.

If the monster was an undead (zombie, mummy), it leave a 'normal' corpse
(dwarf, kobolod,...) but the corpse is already rotten (you cannot really
say that a zombie is a 'fresh' corpse, can you ?)

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:00:12 AM

Jym babbled on for HOURS on 23 May 2005:

> On Mon, 23 May 2005, Toja (formerly Gerney) wrote:
>
>> I still get rotten food from corpses I just killed, moved maybe 1 or 2
>> moves, why is that? I'm a ultra beginner.
>
> If the monster was an undead (zombie, mummy), it leave a 'normal' corpse
> (dwarf, kobolod,...) but the corpse is already rotten (you cannot really
> say that a zombie is a 'fresh' corpse, can you ?)

I think he means that even if it was not undead and he just killed it and
then immediately ate it, he gets the rotten food message. I get the same
thing...I just figure that some stuff just ain't as good as others and move
along...

Oh Toja, BTW a big no-eat to put on your list is like aligned unicorns.
Bad karma.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:04:43 AM

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> -Despite common sense, sewer rats are actually fine to eat.

Sewer rats aren't restricted to .

> Horses/ ponies are fine too (that last bit may be specific. Not
> sure).

They're not specific.

> -Only eat puddings if you can afford to lose twenty or thirty HP. If
> you can afford it though, it might be worth it.

Once you start encountering puddings, you can easily handle the HP loss.
I believe it's 1d20, but I'm not sure. And it's usually definately worth
the risk: it gives you nutrition, and a chance of gaining a useful
intrinsic (black puddings may grant lots of different intrinsics).

> -Avoid eating unidentified tins; they can hold nasty surprises, and
> don't usually give much nutrition anyway. IDed tins can be very useful
> though.

When you open a tin, you get the message "it smells like xxx". You may
then decide whether to eat it or not, so this is pretty safe. To add to
the usefulness of tins, they are never poisoned, even if the corpse they
were made of would be poisonous.

> -It's generally best to avoid eating tripe, but if you're on the brink
> of starvation it can keep you alive a little longer.

If it makes you vomit, which happens more often than not, you will
actually *lose* nutrition, I believe, so it will work against you.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

May 24, 2005 5:05:31 AM

ihope wrote:

>> You may want to watch what your
>> cat or dog eats; these corpses are edible.

> Face it. Your pet cat is smarter than you.

With one exception: eating bat corpses. Your pet likes them, while it
has adverse effects on you.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

May 24, 2005 5:06:54 AM

Phlimm wrote:

> Oh Toja, BTW a big no-eat to put on your list is like aligned
> unicorns. Bad karma.

I don't know if this is actually true.

You should not *sacrifice* them, indeed, but I never heard of adverse
effects when you eat them.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

May 24, 2005 5:50:38 AM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>
> > -Despite common sense, sewer rats are actually fine to eat.
>
> Sewer rats aren't restricted to .

Oh, Ok. Long time since I played vanilla, so I forget these things.

> > Horses/ ponies are fine too (that last bit may be specific. Not
> > sure).
>
> They're not specific.

I know, but I didn't know whether the safe eating of them was
specific.

> > -Only eat puddings if you can afford to lose twenty or thirty HP.
If
> > you can afford it though, it might be worth it.
>
> Once you start encountering puddings, you can easily handle the HP
loss.

Depends if you're a compulsive sink-kicker like me. With care, a XPlvl1
wizard can take on a black pudding and win, and there are ways of
dealing with "dishwashers", so my wizards consider early sink-kicking a
worthwhile strategy.

> > -Avoid eating unidentified tins; they can hold nasty surprises, and
> > don't usually give much nutrition anyway. IDed tins can be very
useful
> > though.
>
> When you open a tin, you get the message "it smells like xxx". You
may
> then decide whether to eat it or not, so this is pretty safe. To add
> the usefulness of tins, they are never poisoned, even if the corpse
they
> were made of would be poisonous.

Ah, this is a difference between vanilla and then- in , the
"smells like" message is much less specific.

> > -It's generally best to avoid eating tripe, but if you're on the
brink
> > of starvation it can keep you alive a little longer.
>
> If it makes you vomit, which happens more often than not, you will
> actually *lose* nutrition, I believe, so it will work against you.

Ah, Ok then. I rarely get that desperate these days, but I have gotten
away with it more than once. Maybe I was just lucky.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 5:56:51 AM

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> > You should not *sacrifice* [unicorns], indeed, but I never heard of

> >adverse effects when you eat them.

> And don't offer (or eat) your dead pets, whatever killed them.

Actually, there is no penalty for eating a dead pet. However, since a
lot of pets are dogs and cats, which *do* carry an eating penalty (for
most classes), ppl think that you can't eat any pet. If you have a pet
lichen or dragon or giant, however, there's absolutely no reason not to
eat it.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:13:38 AM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Phlimm wrote:
>
>>Oh Toja, BTW a big no-eat to put on your list is like aligned
>>unicorns. Bad karma.
>
> I don't know if this is actually true.

I'd like to second that.

> You should not *sacrifice* them, indeed, but I never heard of adverse
> effects when you eat them.

And don't offer (or eat) your dead pets, whatever killed them.

Janis
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:24:50 AM

Toja (formerly Gerney) wrote:
> <dogscoff@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> > -Don't eat old corpses (about 50 turns is the upper limit I use).
> I still get rotten food from corpses I just killed, moved maybe 1 or
2
> moves, why is that?

Well, two possibilities spring to mind:

1- You might be getting some other kind of "bad food" message and
mistaking it for rotten food. In other words, it's not rotten, but it
is poisonous, or carries some other negative effect.

2- You could be stacking corpses: Say you meet two jackals. You kill
one, and it leaves a corpse. Now leave that corpse to go rotten. Now
you kill the second jackal on the same square. If you move onto that
square, the game will tell you that you see "2 jackal corpses". In this
case, the second corpse (the fresh one) will become as rotten as the
first. This is down to game mechanics, and can be a bit of a pain.

> I'm a ultra beginner.

In that case I assume you are new to this newsgroup as well, so I'll
pass on a tip for rgrn beginners: Don't top-post. It doesn't bother me,
but some people round here will get upset about it. Top-posting is when
you put your reply above the quoted text you are replying to. Your
reply should go below the quoted text. If you read the FAQ, it will
give you more information about this kind of thing, and lots more
information besides. Welcome to the group.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 8:43:44 AM

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> On 5/24/05 6:18 AM, Phlimm wrote:

> > [Eat a fresh corpse] There are times when the message is "Blechh!
Rotten
> >food!"
> Yes. In this case, the message is misleading. It's actually perfectly

> fine if you eat that corpse.

In light of this, perhaps for the sake of clarity we should refer to
corpses that are dangerously old as "tainted" (which I believe is the
tombstone message for any such fatalities) rather than "rotten".
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 9:18:39 AM

babbled on for HOURS on 24 May 2005:

> Toja (formerly Gerney) wrote:
>> <dogscoff@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>> > -Don't eat old corpses (about 50 turns is the upper limit I use).
>> I still get rotten food from corpses I just killed, moved maybe 1 or
> 2
>> moves, why is that?
>
> Well, two possibilities spring to mind:
>
> 1- You might be getting some other kind of "bad food" message and
> mistaking it for rotten food. In other words, it's not rotten, but it
> is poisonous, or carries some other negative effect.
>
> 2- You could be stacking corpses: Say you meet two jackals. You kill
> one, and it leaves a corpse. Now leave that corpse to go rotten. Now
> you kill the second jackal on the same square. If you move onto that
> square, the game will tell you that you see "2 jackal corpses". In this
> case, the second corpse (the fresh one) will become as rotten as the
> first. This is down to game mechanics, and can be a bit of a pain.

Actually there is a 3rd possibility which I pointed out earlier. You kill
a monster with your own 2 hands. You immediately jump on it and eat it up.
Please note that it is is not undead and not poisonous; let's say a nice
side of orc. There are times when the message is "Blechh! Rotten food!"
Even though it the corpse is not undead, not poisonous, and less than 50
(heck, less than 5) turns old.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 2:58:08 PM

"Toja \(formerly Gerney\)" <none@none.com> writes:

> "ihope" <ihope127@writing.com> wrote in message
> > Ah yes. Food is good. Food...
> >
> > > You may want to watch what your
> > > cat or dog eats; these corpses are edible.
> >
> > Face it. Your pet cat is smarter than you.
>
> Are you kidding? Or should I pay extra attention to the stuff my pet picks
> up? Are these Orcish Helms good for anything, I'm a Samuri.

The above refers to the determination of safely eadible food,
in which, for the most part[1], your pet is really an authority
to follow. But for the question about picking up, it's interesting
to note what items your pet doesn't even want to step upon
(although it will sometimes, reluctantly). [N crg qbrfa'g
yvxr gb fgrc ba phefrq bowrpgf, gur rnfvrfg grfg sbe ceriragvat
gur bppnfvbany phefrq -4 bepvfu uryz.]

Best,
Jakob

[1] Exceptions include chameleons and penalties for cannibalism
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:25:02 PM

On 5/24/05 6:18 AM, Phlimm wrote:

> Actually there is a 3rd possibility which I pointed out earlier. You kill
> a monster with your own 2 hands. You immediately jump on it and eat it up.
> Please note that it is is not undead and not poisonous; let's say a nice
> side of orc. There are times when the message is "Blechh! Rotten food!"
> Even though it the corpse is not undead, not poisonous, and less than 50
> (heck, less than 5) turns old.

Yes. In this case, the message is misleading. It's actually perfectly
fine if you eat that corpse.

(I've also found it odd that, if your character *stops* eating such a
corpse because it is said to be "rotten," you can simply go back to
eating it--it will now be described as a "partially eaten foo"--without
any ill effects, or even another "rotten" message.)

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:40:53 PM

On Tue, 24 May 2005 dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> 2- You could be stacking corpses: Say you meet two jackals. You kill
> one, and it leaves a corpse. Now leave that corpse to go rotten. Now
> you kill the second jackal on the same square. If you move onto that
> square, the game will tell you that you see "2 jackal corpses". In this
> case, the second corpse (the fresh one) will become as rotten as the
> first.

Not quite; both corpse will get the medium age. This could even unrot a
corpse.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> ihope wrote:
>
>>>You may want to watch what your
>>>cat or dog eats; these corpses are edible.
>>
>>Face it. Your pet cat is smarter than you.
>
> With one exception: eating bat corpses. Your pet likes them, while it
> has adverse effects on you.

Don't your pet also eat yellow molds/violet fungi?

Lars
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 4:03:59 PM

Lars Kecke wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>>> Face it. Your pet cat is smarter than you.

>> With one exception: eating bat corpses. Your pet likes them, while it
>> has adverse effects on you.

> Don't your pet also eat yellow molds/violet fungi?

No. And so shouldn't you.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

May 24, 2005 6:51:24 PM

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> On 5/24/05 6:18 AM, Phlimm wrote:
>> There are times when the message is "Blechh! Rotten food!"
>> Even though it the corpse is not undead, not poisonous, and less than 50
>> (heck, less than 5) turns old.
>
> Yes. In this case, the message is misleading. It's actually perfectly
> fine if you eat that corpse.

Well, rotten food can blind you, make you pass out or confuse you(?) and
IIRC has less nutrition value than food that is not rotten - it's still
better than tainted food, though.

--
If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> Phlimm wrote:

> > Oh Toja, BTW a big no-eat to put on your list is like aligned
> > unicorns. Bad karma.

> You should not *sacrifice* them, indeed, but I never heard of adverse
> effects when you eat them.

Hmm.. before one can be eaten, it must be killed, and killing a co-aligned
unicorn is a bad thing to do.
Maybe Phlimm confused the consequences of killing one and eating one,
which may easily happen if you first kill one yourself and then eat the
corpse.
(BTW, ALL unicorns are aligned somehow. There is no such thing in Nethack
as an unaligned unicorn.)

--
Jukka Lahtinen
Anonymous

dogscoff@eudoramail.com writes:

> lot of pets are dogs and cats, which *do* carry an eating penalty (for
> most classes), ppl think that you can't eat any pet. If you have a pet
> lichen or dragon or giant, however, there's absolutely no reason not to
> eat it.

Or horse or pony, which are more often seen as pets (for any beginning
knight) than lichens, dragons or giants.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
Anonymous

Jukka Lahtinen babbled on for HOURS on 24 May 2005:

> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
>> Phlimm wrote:
>
>> > Oh Toja, BTW a big no-eat to put on your list is like aligned
>> > unicorns. Bad karma.
>
>> You should not *sacrifice* them, indeed, but I never heard of adverse
>> effects when you eat them.
>
> Hmm.. before one can be eaten, it must be killed, and killing a
> co-aligned unicorn is a bad thing to do.
> Maybe Phlimm confused the consequences of killing one and eating one,
> which may easily happen if you first kill one yourself and then eat
> the corpse.

> (BTW, ALL unicorns are aligned somehow. There is no such thing in
> Nethack as an unaligned unicorn.)

Sure there is - its called a hornless unicorn, or a horse
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 11:53:47 PM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Lars Kecke wrote:
>
>>Don't your pet also eat yellow molds/violet fungi?
>
> No. And so shouldn't you.

With the exception, as I have heared, that violet fungi could be
healthy on Astral Plane in cases you lack magic resistance.

Janis
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:55:37 AM

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> -Don't eat the undead (there are exceptions to this, but not in the
> early game).

In , I believe there are some races (lycanthrope and undead slayer,
AFAIK) that start with sickness resistance.

Either way, I don't think they give you any nutrition or intristics even
if you can eat them.

Or are you referring to something else?

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:58:51 AM

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
>> Lars Kecke wrote:
>>
>>> Don't your pet also eat yellow molds/violet fungi?
>>

>> No. And so shouldn't you.
>

> With the exception, as I have heared, that violet fungi could be
> healthy on Astral Plane in cases you lack magic resistance.
>
> Janis

Are you sure?

The spoilers say violet fungi cause hallucination, and gives 20% chance
of a relatively useful intristic, but no mention of MR...

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
|Moo. > \/
\____/
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 12:54:08 PM

In article <LpmdnYOP-ut2dA7fRVn-ig@comcast.com>, Shadow wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:

>> With the exception, as I have heared, that violet fungi could be
>> healthy on Astral Plane in cases you lack magic resistance.
>>
>> Janis

> Are you sure?

> The spoilers say violet fungi cause hallucination, and gives 20% chance
> of a relatively useful intristic, but no mention of MR...

Touch of Death doesn't work if you're (== your character) is
hallucinating, IIRC.

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Shadow wrote:

> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> >
> > -Don't eat the undead (there are exceptions to this, but not in the
> > early game).
>
> In , I believe there are some races (lycanthrope and undead slayer,
> AFAIK) that start with sickness resistance.

classes: necromancer and undead slayer.
Apparently no race.

According to
http://www.juiblex.co.uk/nethack/VernonSpoilers/abil-00...

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 5:24:43 PM

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> writes:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> > Lars Kecke wrote:
> >
> >>Don't your pet also eat yellow molds/violet fungi?
> > No. And so shouldn't you.
>
> With the exception, as I have heared, that violet fungi could be
> healthy on Astral Plane in cases you lack magic resistance.

There's another rumor that confusion on Astral can be
extremely beneficial under some circumstances.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 5:47:48 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> > > No. And so shouldn't you.
> >
> > With the exception, as I have heared, that violet fungi could be
> > healthy on Astral Plane in cases you lack magic resistance.
>
> There's another rumor that confusion on Astral can be
> extremely beneficial under some circumstances.

Like reading a scroll of charm monsters in a summoning storm ?

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 7:37:56 PM

In article <Pine.LNX.4.51.0505251347240.26212@hagen.loria.fr>, Jym wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:

>> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> writes:

>> > With the exception, as I have heared, that violet fungi could be
>> > healthy on Astral Plane in cases you lack magic resistance.
>>
>> There's another rumor that confusion on Astral can be
>> extremely beneficial under some circumstances.

> Like reading a scroll of charm monsters in a summoning storm ?

Or reading a scroll of create monster before anyone gets close to you.

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",
Twoflower in "The Light Fantastic"
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 10:15:16 PM

Panu Lahtinen wrote:
> In article <LpmdnYOP-ut2dA7fRVn-ig@comcast.com>, Shadow wrote:
>
>>Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
>>>With the exception, as I have heared, that violet fungi could be
>>>healthy on Astral Plane in cases you lack magic resistance.
>
>>Are you sure?
>
>>The spoilers say violet fungi cause hallucination, and gives 20% chance
>>of a relatively useful intristic, but no mention of MR...
>
> Touch of Death doesn't work if you're (== your character) is
> hallucinating, IIRC.

But the touch of Death (the monster) does still work if you're
hallucinating.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 7:14:20 PM

Toja (formerly Gerney) wrote:

> I still get rotten food from corpses I just killed, moved maybe 1 or 2
> moves, why is that? I'm a ultra beginner.

Rotten and tainted are two very different features.

Tainted meat is spoiled and infected. It will give
you deadly illness. Most corpses go bad after a
while (lizards and lichens are the exceptions I can
think of). They start out fresh and ready for
sacrafice. Then as they age they have a time while
they are still okay to eat but are not worthy to
your diety. Then they spoil and they become
deadly. Then they rot away and no longer exist.

Rotten food is just regular food that had a random
chance of having a lower nutrition value. The chance
is based more on the b/u/c status than age. Tins
can be rotten. Cursed food items are often rotten,
uncursed occasionally rotten, and blessed rarely or
never rotten. It's okay to finish eating a rotten
food item; you'll just end up with less nutrition
from it.

One bite of tainted food and you're in trouble. One
bite of rotten food and you may as well just finish
the item because you're not in trouble.

Random odds are all through Nethack and the small
chance of food being rotten is just another place it
appears.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 7:24:12 PM

Sidsel Horvei wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
> > Toja (formerly Gerney) wrote:
>
> > > I still get rotten food from corpses I just killed, moved maybe 1 or 2
> > > moves, why is that? I'm a ultra beginner.
>
> > Rotten and tainted are two very different features.
>
> > Tainted meat is spoiled and infected. It will give
> > you deadly illness. Most corpses go bad after a
> > while (lizards and lichens are the exceptions I can
> > think of). They start out fresh and ready for
> > sacrafice. Then as they age they have a time while
> > they are still okay to eat but are not worthy to
> > your diety.
>
> Really? I've always counted 50 turns both for deity
> and myself. How long is the actual period they're
> edible?

On plenty of occasions I've carried a corpse to an
altar, failed to get there in time, gotten a "Nothing
happens", eaten the corpse, and not gotten the "Ulch..."
message. I will only try it if I have a unihorn but
it happens.

How many turns? I don't know. I would need to read
the source.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:38:23 PM

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Rotten and tainted are two very different features.
>
> Tainted meat is spoiled and infected. It will give you deadly illness.
> Most corpses go bad after a while (lizards and lichens are the exceptions
> I can think of). They start out fresh and ready for sacrafice. Then as
> they age they have a time while they are still okay to eat but are not
> worthy to your diety. Then they spoil and they become deadly. Then they
> rot away and no longer exist.

The other exception I can think of is acid blob corpses. These are a
little different than lizards and lichens: they do eventually "rot away",
but before they do they are always fresh (and sacrificable).

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.
!