Revenge is sweet

Last response: in Video Games
March 9, 2005 1:33:00 PM

I love when the DM doesn't take consequences into account...

There's a trap near the drow city Orbb Elg'cahl. It's a Sphere of
Annihilation, similar to the Tomb of Horrors.
Less than three hundred yards away is a massive sea.
I say we move the Sphere to 100 feet below sea level, and walk away.

I'm looking for a downside, but I'm not seeing one...

------
Recovering MCSE/MCT/MCP
"Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they
have rebelled they cannot become conscious." -- Winston Smith, _1984_

More about : revenge sweet

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:33:01 PM

NonMCSE wrote:
> I love when the DM doesn't take consequences into account...
>
> There's a trap near the drow city Orbb Elg'cahl. It's a Sphere of
> Annihilation, similar to the Tomb of Horrors.
> Less than three hundred yards away is a massive sea.
> I say we move the Sphere to 100 feet below sea level, and walk away.
>
> I'm looking for a downside, but I'm not seeing one...

Depends how similar it is to the one in the Tomb - that one
was a special Sphere that was immovable, IIRC.

Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:33:01 PM

There was a rule once that there were 2 items players could never
create themselves. One was Sphere of Annihilation because players had
been known to drain seas with them.
March 9, 2005 2:15:22 PM

John H wrote:
> There was a rule once that there were 2 items players could never
> create themselves. One was Sphere of Annihilation because players
had
> been known to drain seas with them.

I wonder how the SoA water annihilation rate compares
the average ocean's rate of evaporation? I remember
from the AD&D Manual of the Planes that most oceans
had at least one elemental gate to the Plane of Water,
it may be the flow rate from a Water Gate would make
up for one or more submerged SoA's - though the water
inflow to a submerged SoA could make for some
interesting whirlpools and such.

Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 5:59:54 PM

NonMCSE wrote:

> I love when the DM doesn't take consequences into account...
>
> There's a trap near the drow city Orbb Elg'cahl. It's a Sphere of
> Annihilation, similar to the Tomb of Horrors.
> Less than three hundred yards away is a massive sea.
> I say we move the Sphere to 100 feet below sea level, and walk away.
>
> I'm looking for a downside, but I'm not seeing one...

Possible Ecological Havoc.

How fast does the water get destroyed?
Does it, since air doesn't?
Maybe the Sphere only affects "objects".
But if it will destroy water then that sea likely links to other
seas including surface ones. Possible eventual loss of much of
the water in the world unless you are sure you can get someone there
to move the sphere back above water.

Plus the water will replenish to a higher level as new water filters in.
(IOW, dry out a lake, it will refill as streams or rain empty into it.)
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 7:12:49 PM

NonMCSE <midnightcomp@comcast.net> wrote:
>I love when the DM doesn't take consequences into account...

>There's a trap near the drow city Orbb Elg'cahl. It's a Sphere of
>Annihilation, similar to the Tomb of Horrors.
>Less than three hundred yards away is a massive sea.
>I say we move the Sphere to 100 feet below sea level, and walk away.

>I'm looking for a downside, but I'm not seeing one...

Well, it's not the easiest thing in the world to move, but
if you can make the checks, yeah, it sounds like a good plan.
Why only 100 feet below sea level, though? Get yourself some
protective and breathing magic and send it straight to the bottom.

As far as downsides go, who or what else relies on that
underground sea? If a non-evil city also needs it, you're
screwing them over, too. And if it's got anything living
in it (and every proper underground sea has at least
dinosaurs in it) you'll be killing all of them, as well.
You wouldn't kill all of them if you stuck to 100 feet
below the surface, so that might be a good idea.

Another, riskier tactic, would be to move the Sphere
into an important area of the Drow city and cast Gate
on it. You'd have a 15% chance of essentially destroying
a large chunk of the city. That'd ruin their day. Of
course, you'd have an 85% chance of not doing anything
in particular besides probably destroying the Sphere.

The danger of bringing the thing inside the Drow city,
of course, is that someone's going to try to steal
control away from you. That could end badly.

I can't think of any other uses against the city without
knowing more about the geography of the area. It's
underground, obviously. Is it in a huge cavern? The
roof high above the city, I mean? If so you might be
able to use the sphere to cause ginormous hunks of rock
to fall on the city. It'd be tricky as hell to manage
seeing exactly where the Sphere is as you work, though,
not to mention that you'd have to avoid detection.

You could do something similar with Transmute Rock to Mud,
of course, especially if you then followed it up with
Transmute Mud to Rock. The inhabitants of this kind of
city might put a lot of effort into fiddling with the roof
of the cavern until it counts as "worked stone," though.

Pete
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 2:30:36 AM

firelock_ny@hotmail.com wrote:
> John H wrote:
>> There was a rule once that there were 2 items players could never
>> create themselves. One was Sphere of Annihilation because players
>> had been known to drain seas with them.
>
> I wonder how the SoA water annihilation rate compares
> the average ocean's rate of evaporation? I remember
> from the AD&D Manual of the Planes that most oceans
> had at least one elemental gate to the Plane of Water,
> it may be the flow rate from a Water Gate would make
> up for one or more submerged SoA's - though the water
> inflow to a submerged SoA could make for some
> interesting whirlpools and such.

I've seen several suggestions related to using Decanters of Endless Water
dropped into the ocean on maximum setting as an attempt to create
biblical-style floods. Maybe, on a global level, the aggregate number of
endless-decanter-flooder-conspiracies is comfortably balanced by the number
of annihilation-sphere-drainer-conspiracies.

--
Mark.
Anonymous

"Mark Blunden" <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote in

> firelock_ny@hotmail.com wrote:
>> John H wrote:
>>> There was a rule once that there were 2 items players could never
>>> create themselves. One was Sphere of Annihilation because players
>>> had been known to drain seas with them.
>>
>> I wonder how the SoA water annihilation rate compares
>> the average ocean's rate of evaporation? I remember
>> from the AD&D Manual of the Planes that most oceans
>> had at least one elemental gate to the Plane of Water,
>> it may be the flow rate from a Water Gate would make
>> up for one or more submerged SoA's - though the water
>> inflow to a submerged SoA could make for some
>> interesting whirlpools and such.
>
> I've seen several suggestions related to using Decanters of Endless
> Water dropped into the ocean on maximum setting as an attempt to
> create biblical-style floods. Maybe, on a global level, the aggregate
> number of endless-decanter-flooder-conspiracies is comfortably
> balanced by the number of annihilation-sphere-drainer-conspiracies.

Perhaps a SoA is what's left after you create a DEW.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:05:10 -0000, No 33 Secretary
<taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:

>Does it say that a SoA isn't affected by gravity? If not, *how* do you keep
>it in a box, without it simply falling out (and continueing to the center
>of the planet)?

"A sphere of annihilation is static, resting in some spot as if it were a normal
hole"

If it can be shown that an SOA has mass, or weight, then it should be affected
by gravity. What is an SOA made of? The text calls it "nothingness" with a shape
of 2-foot-diameter sphere.

I rather think that if an SOA existed, what would actually happen is not that
the SOA falls to the center of the planet, but that the planet would be drawn
wholly to the SOA until its center of mass was coincident with the SOA, all the
while being slowly eaten away.

--

Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)

"Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
when they're out of their depth."
-Jeff Heikkinen
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:55:25 AM

I always assumed in my games that it levitated slightly above what ever
surface it was near. And that only matter actually touching it would get
annihilated. It would actually float above the water if controlled by a
character and only submerge if forced to do so by the controller.

Matthias wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:05:10 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>

>>Does it say that a SoA isn't affected by gravity? If not, *how* do you keep
>>it in a box, without it simply falling out (and continueing to the center
>>of the planet)?
>

> "A sphere of annihilation is static, resting in some spot as if it were a normal
> hole"
>
> If it can be shown that an SOA has mass, or weight, then it should be affected
> by gravity. What is an SOA made of? The text calls it "nothingness" with a shape
> of 2-foot-diameter sphere.
>
> I rather think that if an SOA existed, what would actually happen is not that
> the SOA falls to the center of the planet, but that the planet would be drawn
> wholly to the SOA until its center of mass was coincident with the SOA, all the
> while being slowly eaten away.
>
> --
>
> Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)
>
> "Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
> do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
> when they're out of their depth."
> -Jeff Heikkinen
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:13:57 AM

"No 33 Secretary" <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote in message
> "Mark Blunden" <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote in
>
>> firelock_ny@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> I wonder how the SoA water annihilation rate compares
>>> the average ocean's rate of evaporation? I remember
>>> from the AD&D Manual of the Planes that most oceans
>>> had at least one elemental gate to the Plane of Water,
>>> it may be the flow rate from a Water Gate would make
>>> up for one or more submerged SoA's - though the water
>>> inflow to a submerged SoA could make for some
>>> interesting whirlpools and such.
>>
>> I've seen several suggestions related to using Decanters of Endless
>> Water dropped into the ocean on maximum setting as an attempt to
>> create biblical-style floods. Maybe, on a global level, the aggregate
>> number of endless-decanter-flooder-conspiracies is comfortably
>> balanced by the number of annihilation-sphere-drainer-conspiracies.
>>
> Perhaps a SoA is what's left after you create a DEW.

or drop a LOAD
--
zimriel sbc dot
at global net

"Mark Blunden" <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> writes:

>I've seen several suggestions related to using Decanters of Endless Water
>dropped into the ocean on maximum setting as an attempt to create
>biblical-style floods. Maybe, on a global level, the aggregate number of
>endless-decanter-flooder-conspiracies is comfortably balanced by the number
>of annihilation-sphere-drainer-conspiracies.

That's brilliant, and it also gives True Neutrals something
to conspire about.

--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology

>>>(And, BTW, one of my favorite hobbies is to screw with the basic
>>>physics of the world, to make things work the way the ancients thought
>>>they did. Had a blast with a guy who was running himself - a modern,
>>>educated professional engineer - who wanted his character to be a
>>>military engineer. Imagine his confusion when he figured out that a
>>>big rock really did fall faster than a small rock.

Does that mean that if you tie a big rock to a small rock, the small
rock will rotate around the big rock? This of course leads to the
obvious conclusion that everything that falls, spins around it's
center of mass. As your head heads for the ground, your feet would
float up off the ground, briefly.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:36:30 PM

rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in news:4230559f.133190964
@news.telusplanet.net:

> As your head heads for the ground, your feet would
> float up off the ground, briefly.

I believe this is called a "facefault"

--
Shadow Wolf
shadowolf3400 at yahoo dot com

March 11, 2005 12:04:04 AM

rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in

> Does that mean that if you tie a big rock to a small rock, the small
> rock will rotate around the big rock?

Why would that be the case? Assuming you're talking about dropping the
combined rock structure, I would imagine the little rock would simply trail
behind at the length of the rope.

And since it was my world, my imagining would be the most important.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:04:43 AM

In article <Xns9614A3A334828taustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
No 33 Secretary <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>Does it say that a SoA isn't affected by gravity? If not, *how* do you keep
>it in a box, without it simply falling out (and continueing to the center
>of the planet)?

Just do what Gygax and design-alikes did: totally ignore the problem and embed
a sphere of annihilation in a wall to look like a dark portal.
March 11, 2005 12:19:24 AM

dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb) wrote in
news:D 0qcpb$77v$1@knot.queensu.ca:

> In article <Xns9614A3A334828taustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
> No 33 Secretary <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>>Does it say that a SoA isn't affected by gravity? If not, *how* do you
>>keep it in a box, without it simply falling out (and continueing to
>>the center of the planet)?
>
> Just do what Gygax and design-alikes did: totally ignore the problem
> and embed a sphere of annihilation in a wall to look like a dark
> portal.

I agree completely. Worrying about such things is a sign of having way too
much time on one's hands.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:26:57 AM

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:33:00 -0500, "NonMCSE" <midnightcomp@comcast.net> wrote:

>Less than three hundred yards away is a massive sea.
>I say we move the Sphere to 100 feet below sea level, and walk away.

One wonders what would happen if it got moved way down. I'm thinking the earth's core, but you'd probably get
bored before it got there. Still do a lot of damage, tho, over time, once it hits the molten part.
March 11, 2005 2:34:20 AM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:19:24 -0000, No 33 Secretary
<taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:

>dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb) wrote in
>news:D 0qcpb$77v$1@knot.queensu.ca:
>
>> In article <Xns9614A3A334828taustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
>> No 33 Secretary <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>>>Does it say that a SoA isn't affected by gravity? If not, *how* do you
>>>keep it in a box, without it simply falling out (and continueing to
>>>the center of the planet)?
>>
>> Just do what Gygax and design-alikes did: totally ignore the problem
>> and embed a sphere of annihilation in a wall to look like a dark
>> portal.
>
>I agree completely. Worrying about such things is a sign of having way too
>much time on one's hands.

And what's wrong with that ! :)

--

Matthias (matthias_mls@yahoo.com)

"Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
when they're out of their depth."
-Jeff Heikkinen
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:37:59 AM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:04:04 -0000, No 33 Secretary
<taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:

>rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in

>> Does that mean that if you tie a big rock to a small rock, the small
>> rock will rotate around the big rock?

Actually I should have said "swing around". It won't complete an
orbit.

>Why would that be the case? Assuming you're talking about dropping the
>combined rock structure, I would imagine the little rock would simply trail
>behind at the length of the rope.

If they are dropped while side by side then the slower rock will,
constrained by the rope, move in a circle imparting angular momentum
to the faster rock which will begin to rotate back and forth as the
smaller rock tic-tocs from side to side like a upside-down pendulum.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:45:49 AM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:41:39 -0000, No 33 Secretary
<taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:

>> ...which is of course where the "guns=magic wands of instant death"
>> thing came from.
>>
>Yeah. Or you could go the other way, like Hero, where a .44 magnum cannot,
>under any circumstances, instantly kill someone, even with the barrel
>pressed to the base of the victim's skull. (Without variants, that is.)

Do tell? Lemme see now. 44 mag does 2d6 killing. Doubled for a Head
shot, that's a maximum damage of 24. Typical person has 8 to 10 body.

Instant death. Or do you think of hit location as a "variant"?. But
if you have no hit locations, how can you press a gun to the base of
someone skull except by GM fiat? (In which case you can also declare
them dead by GM fiat.)
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:50:09 AM

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:04:04 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>
>>rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in

>>> Does that mean that if you tie a big rock to a small rock, the small
>>> rock will rotate around the big rock?
>
> Actually I should have said "swing around". It won't complete an
> orbit.
>

>>Why would that be the case? Assuming you're talking about dropping the
>>combined rock structure, I would imagine the little rock would simply
>>trail behind at the length of the rope.
>
> If they are dropped while side by side then the slower rock will,
> constrained by the rope, move in a circle imparting angular momentum
> to the faster rock which will begin to rotate back and forth as the
> smaller rock tic-tocs from side to side like a upside-down pendulum.

I don't see it that way at all. There's a continuous force on the small
rock, relative to the larger one, that simply pulls the rope taught, and
keeps it that way.

(Are you beginning to understand why the licensed, professional engineer
who ran the character found it . . . challenging?)

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:52:16 AM

Matthias <matthias_mls@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:19:24 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>
>>dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb) wrote in
>>news:D 0qcpb$77v$1@knot.queensu.ca:

>>> Just do what Gygax and design-alikes did: totally ignore the problem
>>> and embed a sphere of annihilation in a wall to look like a dark
>>> portal.
>>
>>I agree completely. Worrying about such things is a sign of having way
>>too much time on one's hands.
>
> And what's wrong with that ! :)

You go through a lot of soap trying to wash it off.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:53:37 AM

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:41:39 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>
>>> ...which is of course where the "guns=magic wands of instant death"
>>> thing came from.
>>>
>>Yeah. Or you could go the other way, like Hero, where a .44 magnum
>>cannot, under any circumstances, instantly kill someone, even with the
>>barrel pressed to the base of the victim's skull. (Without variants,
>>that is.)
>
> Do tell? Lemme see now. 44 mag does 2d6 killing.

Ah. I recalled it as 1d6+1. Has it changed? Or has it just been too long.

(Nevertheless, it's not nearly enough damage.)

> Doubled for a Head
> shot, that's a maximum damage of 24. Typical person has 8 to 10 body.
>
> Instant death. Or do you think of hit location as a "variant"?.

Technically, it is optional, but I was assuming its use. Just had the
damage wrong.

>But
> if you have no hit locations, how can you press a gun to the base of
> someone skull except by GM fiat? (In which case you can also declare
> them dead by GM fiat.)

Only if the GM doesn't worship the rules to excess.

But let's face it, Hero isn't *supposed* to be realistic.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:40:58 AM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:53:37 -0000, No 33 Secretary
<taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:

>rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in

>>>Yeah. Or you could go the other way, like Hero, where a .44 magnum
>>>cannot, under any circumstances, instantly kill someone, even with the
>>>barrel pressed to the base of the victim's skull. (Without variants,
>>>that is.)
>>
>> Do tell? Lemme see now. 44 mag does 2d6 killing.
>
>Ah. I recalled it as 1d6+1. Has it changed? Or has it just been too long.

No, 1d+1 was the damage for a more typically sized gun like a 9mm, or
a .38 special.

>>But
>> if you have no hit locations, how can you press a gun to the base of
>> someone skull except by GM fiat? (In which case you can also declare
>> them dead by GM fiat.)
>>
>Only if the GM doesn't worship the rules to excess.
>
>But let's face it, Hero isn't *supposed* to be realistic.

Realism is supposed to be an optional add-on to Hero.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:02:56 PM

Kevin Lowe wrote:

> Imagine a 100kg chain made up of 10000 10g links. it will fall as
fast
> as a single 10g link alone would fall. It falls much more slowly
than a
> single 100kg mass would do.
>
> Drop a 100kg block of metal and a 100kg pile of chain simultaneously.

> The 100kg block lands with more oomph than the 100kg pile of chain.
> Because it weighs the same, and it is moving faster.

Why do you assume KE=1/2*M*V^2 in this world? It is EXPLICITLY
non-newtonian. There IS no such thing as momentum or inertia.

The lots of little masses hit with the exact same force, you
KNOW they are the same mass because they have the same force
on a balance after all.

The little things move slower because the force is SPREAD OVER
MORE OBJECTS, not because they are getting less energy.

But combined they hit with the same omph, because omph in a
fall is a function of mass.

> That's the basis for a free energy/perpetual motion machine right
there.

Since Kinetic energy does not exist in the aristolealean world I
beg to differ.

> Arrange a ferris wheel of weights. Each weight is made up of
multiple
> pieces. As each weight passes the top of the wheel the mechanism
locks
> the pieces together rigidly. As each weight passes the bottom of the

> wheel the mechanism allows the linkage to become flexible. Hey
presto,
> the machine gains energy with each revolution because it takes less
> energy to hoist the flexibly linked weights up than you get when you
let
> them down again.

Same presure on both sides so it doesn't move. Really this is simple.
The perpetual motion machine uses leverage and wieghts moving in and
out from the axis of rotation as the go arround, we'll have the bugs
out any day now.

DougL
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:48:29 PM

Rock-Viper wrote:
> I always assumed in my games that it levitated slightly above what ever
> surface it was near. And that only matter actually touching it would get
> annihilated. It would actually float above the water if controlled by a
> character and only submerge if forced to do so by the controller.

I felt is was similar to abjurations that folks spelled to repel something. In
their descriptions, if you have one that blocks evil, but you set one up to be
within the area of influence, it stops pushing on that person. You can't force
an abjuration on someone already within the area of influence.
Whatever works to stop the abjuration spell in those cases, also works to stop
the air or water from rushing in.
--
"... to satisfy the honours and place, I had to leave her in silence ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:06:52 -0000, No 33 Secretary
<taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> (And, BTW, one of my favorite hobbies is to screw with the basic physics of
> the world, to make things work the way the ancients thought they did. Had a
> blast with a guy who was running himself - a modern, educated professional
> engineer - who wanted his character to be a military engineer. Imagine his
> confusion when he figured out that a big rock really did fall faster than a
> small rock. So don't make assumptions about other people's worlds.)

Obviously the air was more viscous than here, so there was more
friction and thus drag. As this will affect the small rock more than
the large one, you'd get the effect you noted. Of course other tests
of this hypothesis will likely not support it - arrows won't slow
faster than you'd expect, and so on.

BTW, did you have it that arrows continue their forward motion because
the air displaced from in front of them pushs them forward as it move
in behind them? IIRC that was Aristotle's reasoning, the concept of
momentum not existing at that time.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:06:52 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> (And, BTW, one of my favorite hobbies is to screw with the basic
>> physics of the world, to make things work the way the ancients
>> thought they did. Had a blast with a guy who was running himself - a
>> modern, educated professional engineer - who wanted his character to
>> be a military engineer. Imagine his confusion when he figured out
>> that a big rock really did fall faster than a small rock. So don't
>> make assumptions about other people's worlds.)
>
> Obviously the air was more viscous than here, so there was more
> friction and thus drag.

Obviously, you don't really grasp how gravity works. No, it wasn't air more
viscous. It was that gravity worked the way Aristotle said.

>As this will affect the small rock more than
> the large one, you'd get the effect you noted. Of course other tests
> of this hypothesis will likely not support it - arrows won't slow
> faster than you'd expect, and so on.
>
> BTW, did you have it that arrows continue their forward motion because
> the air displaced from in front of them pushs them forward as it move
> in behind them? IIRC that was Aristotle's reasoning, the concept of
> momentum not existing at that time.

Never came up. Which is, perhaps, a bit surprising.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:43:03 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:04:04 -0000, No 33 Secretary
<taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Why would that be the case? Assuming you're talking about dropping the
> combined rock structure, I would imagine the little rock would simply trail
> behind at the length of the rope.
>
> And since it was my world, my imagining would be the most important.

Hmm. That would imply that [small rock] + [big rock] falls more slowly
than [very big rock], where [very big rock] weighs the same as [small
rock] + [big rock]. This probably ties in with various thoeries about
contigous objects, and changes to something's nature when it's divided
into parts, and so on.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:43:04 PM

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:04:04 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> Why would that be the case? Assuming you're talking about dropping
>> the combined rock structure, I would imagine the little rock would
>> simply trail behind at the length of the rope.
>>
>> And since it was my world, my imagining would be the most important.
>
> Hmm. That would imply that [small rock] + [big rock] falls more slowly
> than [very big rock], where [very big rock] weighs the same as [small
> rock] + [big rock].

Why? Quite the opposite, in fact, especially if you assume (and I do, and
I'm correct, by definition) that [small rock] + [big rock] is still two
objects. The rope is just along for the ride.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:03:33 PM

No 33 Secretary wrote:
> "DougL" <doug.lampert@tdytsi.com> wrote in

> > Same presure on both sides so it doesn't move. Really this is
simple.
> > The perpetual motion machine uses leverage and wieghts moving in
and
> > out from the axis of rotation as the go arround, we'll have the
bugs
> > out any day now.
> >
> I can show you patents.

Patents or aplications? (A real question, I know there have been
aplications, I'm not sure if they were accepted.)

But I'm pretty sure that one goes back to the Greeks, and the
thing is it might well work in an Aristilian physics world.

If I try to construct a mathematical model of what is happening
in such a world I get it working for a fairly straightforward
design, which makes building one a worthwhile experiment.

Now, if I can just find someone able to build good bearings and a
cam shaft in your gameworld (plus a bunch of gameworld money) we
can get started, after that the only question will be can it
produce enough energy to be useful prior to breaking down.

DougL
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:13:00 PM

In article <Xns96155CB7FDD90taustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
No 33 Secretary <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:

> (And, BTW, one of my favorite hobbies is to screw with the basic physics of
> the world, to make things work the way the ancients thought they did. Had a
> blast with a guy who was running himself - a modern, educated professional
> engineer - who wanted his character to be a military engineer. Imagine his
> confusion when he figured out that a big rock really did fall faster than a
> small rock. So don't make assumptions about other people's worlds.)

You drop a small rock and a big rock at the same time. The big rock
hits the ground first.

So what happens when you chain the big rock to the small rock and drop
them both at the same time?

Does the small rock act as a drag on the big rock, or does the combined
mass drop as one really big rock? If it acts as a drag, how can
anything fall at all, since everything is made up of smaller things? If
it acts as a combined mass, how does it know to do so given that there
is no actual unbroken line of continuity between the two masses?

Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:13:01 PM

Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote in

> In article <Xns96155CB7FDD90taustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
> No 33 Secretary <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>
>> (And, BTW, one of my favorite hobbies is to screw with the basic
>> physics of the world, to make things work the way the ancients
>> thought they did. Had a blast with a guy who was running himself - a
>> modern, educated professional engineer - who wanted his character to
>> be a military engineer. Imagine his confusion when he figured out
>> that a big rock really did fall faster than a small rock. So don't
>> make assumptions about other people's worlds.)
>
> You drop a small rock and a big rock at the same time. The big rock
> hits the ground first.
>
> So what happens when you chain the big rock to the small rock and drop
> them both at the same time?

The big rock falls faster, until the chain is fully extended, then the
little rock is drug down at the same speed.

> Does the small rock act as a drag on the big rock, or does the
> combined mass drop as one really big rock?

That's a very good question. Obviously requires extensive experimentation
to determine.

> If it acts as a drag, how
> can anything fall at all, since everything is made up of smaller
> things?

Bah. Everything is made of fire, water, earth and air. You know nothing of
alchemy.

> If it acts as a combined mass, how does it know to do so
> given that there is no actual unbroken line of continuity between the
> two masses?

Rocks are flexible. Chains are.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:13:00 +1000, Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote:

>In article <Xns96155CB7FDD90taustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
> No 33 Secretary <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>
>> (And, BTW, one of my favorite hobbies is to screw with the basic physics of
>> the world, to make things work the way the ancients thought they did. Had a
>> blast with a guy who was running himself - a modern, educated professional
>> engineer - who wanted his character to be a military engineer. Imagine his
>> confusion when he figured out that a big rock really did fall faster than a
>> small rock. So don't make assumptions about other people's worlds.)
>
>You drop a small rock and a big rock at the same time. The big rock
>hits the ground first.
>
>So what happens when you chain the big rock to the small rock and drop
>them both at the same time?
>
>Does the small rock act as a drag on the big rock, or does the combined
>mass drop as one really big rock?

Neither. Apparently the small rock is merely pulled along at the
speed of the big rock.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:13:02 PM

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:13:00 +1000, Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote:
>
>>In article <Xns96155CB7FDD90taustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
>> No 33 Secretary <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> (And, BTW, one of my favorite hobbies is to screw with the basic
>>> physics of the world, to make things work the way the ancients
>>> thought they did. Had a blast with a guy who was running himself - a
>>> modern, educated professional engineer - who wanted his character to
>>> be a military engineer. Imagine his confusion when he figured out
>>> that a big rock really did fall faster than a small rock. So don't
>>> make assumptions about other people's worlds.)
>>
>>You drop a small rock and a big rock at the same time. The big rock
>>hits the ground first.
>>
>>So what happens when you chain the big rock to the small rock and drop
>>them both at the same time?
>>
>>Does the small rock act as a drag on the big rock, or does the
>>combined mass drop as one really big rock?
>
> Neither. Apparently the small rock is merely pulled along at the
> speed of the big rock.

One of the best things about fantasy physics is that you get to make it up
as you go.

And it doesn't even necessarily have to be consistent.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Campaign Cartographer Now Available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 8:32:12 PM

In article <Xns9615BB4B967EAtaustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
Terry Austin <taustin@hyperbooks.com> wrote:

> Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote in
>
> > In article <Xns96155CB7FDD90taustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
> > No 33 Secretary <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:

> > So what happens when you chain the big rock to the small rock and drop
> > them both at the same time?
>
> The big rock falls faster, until the chain is fully extended, then the
> little rock is drug down at the same speed.

So I could have, like, a million small rocks chained together and the
whole arrangement would fall at the speed of the single heaviest object
in the tangle? Hmm.

> > If it acts as a combined mass, how does it know to do so
> > given that there is no actual unbroken line of continuity between the
> > two masses?
> >
> Rocks are flexible. Chains are.

Gotcha.

[...]

March 11, 2005 8:32:13 PM

Kevin Lowe wrote:
> In article <Xns9615BB4B967EAtaustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
> Terry Austin <taustin@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>
>> Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote in
>>
>>> In article <Xns96155CB7FDD90taustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
>>> No 33 Secretary <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>
>>> So what happens when you chain the big rock to the small rock and
>>> drop them both at the same time?
>>
>> The big rock falls faster, until the chain is fully extended, then
>> the little rock is drug down at the same speed.
>
> So I could have, like, a million small rocks chained together and the
> whole arrangement would fall at the speed of the single heaviest
> object in the tangle? Hmm.
>
>>> If it acts as a combined mass, how does it know to do so
>>> given that there is no actual unbroken line of continuity between
>>> the two masses?
>>>
>> Rocks are flexible. Chains are.
>
> Gotcha.
>
> Imagine a 100kg chain made up of 10000 10g links. it will fall as
> fast as a single 10g link alone would fall. It falls much more
> slowly than a single 100kg mass would do.
>
> Drop a 100kg block of metal and a 100kg pile of chain simultaneously.
> The 100kg block lands with more oomph than the 100kg pile of chain.
> Because it weighs the same, and it is moving faster.
>
> That's the basis for a free energy/perpetual motion machine right
> there.
>
> Arrange a ferris wheel of weights. Each weight is made up of multiple
> pieces. As each weight passes the top of the wheel the mechanism
> locks the pieces together rigidly. As each weight passes the bottom
> of the wheel the mechanism allows the linkage to become flexible.
> Hey presto, the machine gains energy with each revolution because it
> takes less energy to hoist the flexibly linked weights up than you
> get when you let them down again.

You fool! That isn't free energy - you're expending the planet's limited
supply of gravity with each revolution, faster than it can replenish. Do it
too quickly and soon there'll be none left.

--
Mark.
Anonymous

Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote in news:me-
191230.17321211032005@individual.net:

> In article <Xns9615BB4B967EAtaustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
> Terry Austin <taustin@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>
>> Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote in
>>
>> > In article <Xns96155CB7FDD90taustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
>> > No 33 Secretary <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>
>> > So what happens when you chain the big rock to the small rock and drop
>> > them both at the same time?
>>
>> The big rock falls faster, until the chain is fully extended, then the
>> little rock is drug down at the same speed.
>
> So I could have, like, a million small rocks chained together and the
> whole arrangement would fall at the speed of the single heaviest object
> in the tangle? Hmm.

Sure, that sounds good.

>> > If it acts as a combined mass, how does it know to do so
>> > given that there is no actual unbroken line of continuity between the
>> > two masses?
>> >
>> Rocks are flexible. Chains are.
>
> Gotcha.

Perhaps that should be "Rocks aren't flexible."

> Imagine a 100kg chain made up of 10000 10g links. it will fall as fast
> as a single 10g link alone would fall. It falls much more slowly than a
> single 100kg mass would do.

That sounds good, sure.

> Drop a 100kg block of metal and a 100kg pile of chain simultaneously.
> The 100kg block lands with more oomph than the 100kg pile of chain.

Well, that doesn't necessarily follow. It lands with more speed, but if
we're changing gravity, why can't we change momentum, too?

> Because it weighs the same, and it is moving faster.
>
> That's the basis for a free energy/perpetual motion machine right there.

It *is* a fantasy world, after all.

> Arrange a ferris wheel of weights. Each weight is made up of multiple
> pieces. As each weight passes the top of the wheel the mechanism locks
> the pieces together rigidly. As each weight passes the bottom of the
> wheel the mechanism allows the linkage to become flexible. Hey presto,
> the machine gains energy with each revolution because it takes less
> energy to hoist the flexibly linked weights up than you get when you let
> them down again.

See above, on momentum. You don't really think you'll get anything *useful*
out of all this, do you?

(Though I do recall, back in the "three little digest size books" D&D days,
a paladin powered castle design, involving holy swords with anti-magic
fields, repulsion fields, and ten ton blocks. I had a wizard working on a
V-8 design at one point.)

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 8:37:25 PM

> Kevin Lowe wrote:
>> In article <Xns9615BB4B967EAtaustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,
>> Terry Austin <taustin@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> wrote in

>>> The big rock falls faster, until the chain is fully extended, then
>>> the little rock is drug down at the same speed.
>>
>> So I could have, like, a million small rocks chained together and the
>> whole arrangement would fall at the speed of the single heaviest
>> object in the tangle? Hmm.

>>> Rocks are flexible. Chains are.
>>
>> Gotcha.
>>
>> Imagine a 100kg chain made up of 10000 10g links. it will fall as
>> fast as a single 10g link alone would fall. It falls much more
>> slowly than a single 100kg mass would do.
>>
>> Drop a 100kg block of metal and a 100kg pile of chain simultaneously.
>> The 100kg block lands with more oomph than the 100kg pile of chain.
>> Because it weighs the same, and it is moving faster.
>>
>> That's the basis for a free energy/perpetual motion machine right
>> there.
>>
>> Arrange a ferris wheel of weights. Each weight is made up of
>> multiple pieces. As each weight passes the top of the wheel the
>> mechanism locks the pieces together rigidly. As each weight passes
>> the bottom of the wheel the mechanism allows the linkage to become
>> flexible. Hey presto, the machine gains energy with each revolution
>> because it takes less energy to hoist the flexibly linked weights up
>> than you get when you let them down again.
>
> You fool! That isn't free energy - you're expending the planet's
> limited supply of gravity with each revolution, faster than it can
> replenish. Do it too quickly and soon there'll be none left.

Ooooh, I *like* that. And some wizard will figure out what you're up to,
and send a band of adventures to put an end to your nefarious scheme.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 8:39:33 PM

"DougL" <doug.lampert@tdytsi.com> wrote in

> Kevin Lowe wrote:
>
>> Imagine a 100kg chain made up of 10000 10g links. it will fall as
> fast
>> as a single 10g link alone would fall. It falls much more slowly
> than a
>> single 100kg mass would do.
>>
>> Drop a 100kg block of metal and a 100kg pile of chain simultaneously.
>
>> The 100kg block lands with more oomph than the 100kg pile of chain.
>> Because it weighs the same, and it is moving faster.
>
> Why do you assume KE=1/2*M*V^2 in this world? It is EXPLICITLY
> non-newtonian. There IS no such thing as momentum or inertia.

Oh, there probably is. It just doesn't work quite the same. It's just
different enough to keep a character from the modern world from being able
to screw up the whole game with his high school physics.

> The lots of little masses hit with the exact same force, you
> KNOW they are the same mass because they have the same force
> on a balance after all.
>
> The little things move slower because the force is SPREAD OVER
> MORE OBJECTS, not because they are getting less energy.
>
> But combined they hit with the same omph, because omph in a
> fall is a function of mass.

What's the standard mathematical symbol for "oomph"?

>> That's the basis for a free energy/perpetual motion machine right
> there.
>
> Since Kinetic energy does not exist in the aristolealean world I
> beg to differ.

Beg all you want. It'll do you no good. (Even though you're right.)

>> Arrange a ferris wheel of weights. Each weight is made up of
> multiple
>> pieces. As each weight passes the top of the wheel the mechanism
> locks
>> the pieces together rigidly. As each weight passes the bottom of the
>
>> wheel the mechanism allows the linkage to become flexible. Hey
> presto,
>> the machine gains energy with each revolution because it takes less
>> energy to hoist the flexibly linked weights up than you get when you
> let
>> them down again.
>
> Same presure on both sides so it doesn't move. Really this is simple.
> The perpetual motion machine uses leverage and wieghts moving in and
> out from the axis of rotation as the go arround, we'll have the bugs
> out any day now.

I can show you patents.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 8:41:20 PM

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:53:37 -0000, No 33 Secretary
> <taustin+usenet@hyperbooks.com> wrote:
>
>>rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in

>>> Do tell? Lemme see now. 44 mag does 2d6 killing.
>>
>>Ah. I recalled it as 1d6+1. Has it changed? Or has it just been too long.
>
> No, 1d+1 was the damage for a more typically sized gun like a 9mm, or
> a .38 special.

I stand corrected.

>>>But
>>> if you have no hit locations, how can you press a gun to the base of
>>> someone skull except by GM fiat? (In which case you can also declare
>>> them dead by GM fiat.)
>>>
>>Only if the GM doesn't worship the rules to excess.
>>
>>But let's face it, Hero isn't *supposed* to be realistic.
>
> Realism is supposed to be an optional add-on to Hero.

There are optional rules that make combat realistically deadly. Which is
not the same as saying they make *combat* realistic, of course, but that's
not the point.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:20:30 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:13:00 +1000, Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> carved
upon a tablet of ether:

> Does the small rock act as a drag on the big rock, or does the combined
> mass drop as one really big rock? If it acts as a drag, how can
> anything fall at all, since everything is made up of smaller things? If
> it acts as a combined mass, how does it know to do so given that there
> is no actual unbroken line of continuity between the two masses?

That's why I said this has interesting implications on the nature of
objects, what makes something a contigous object, and so on. I'm sure
the philosophers of that world have found this a way of whiling away
those long winter evenings.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:20:31 PM

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:13:00 +1000, Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> carved
> upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> Does the small rock act as a drag on the big rock, or does the
>> combined mass drop as one really big rock? If it acts as a drag, how
>> can anything fall at all, since everything is made up of smaller
>> things? If it acts as a combined mass, how does it know to do so
>> given that there is no actual unbroken line of continuity between the
>> two masses?
>
> That's why I said this has interesting implications on the nature of
> objects, what makes something a contigous object, and so on. I'm sure
> the philosophers of that world have found this a way of whiling away
> those long winter evenings.

Without a doubt. I'm sure wars were fought over the subject.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Campaign Cartographer Now Available
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:20:31 PM

Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Rupert Boleyn just said...
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:13:00 +1000, Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> carved
> upon a tablet of ether:
>
> > Does the small rock act as a drag on the big rock, or does the combined
> > mass drop as one really big rock? If it acts as a drag, how can
> > anything fall at all, since everything is made up of smaller things? If
> > it acts as a combined mass, how does it know to do so given that there
> > is no actual unbroken line of continuity between the two masses?
>
> That's why I said this has interesting implications on the nature of
> objects, what makes something a contigous object, and so on. I'm sure
> the philosophers of that world have found this a way of whiling away
> those long winter evenings.

It's a surprisingly hard question in *this* world (says the guy taking a
graduate-level seminar in mereology, the philosophical study of part-
whole relations, particularly as it relates to set theory - it turns out
to be a remarkably complex and difficult subject). That it has more
obvious practical implications in the (pre?-)Aristotelian world Terry
posits, if anything, makes it *easier* in that setting.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:20:32 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:37:05 GMT, Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org>
wrote:

>Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Rupert Boleyn just said...
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:13:00 +1000, Kevin Lowe <me@private.net> carved
>> upon a tablet of ether:
>>
>> > Does the small rock act as a drag on the big rock, or does the combined
>> > mass drop as one really big rock? If it acts as a drag, how can
>> > anything fall at all, since everything is made up of smaller things? If
>> > it acts as a combined mass, how does it know to do so given that there
>> > is no actual unbroken line of continuity between the two masses?
>>
>> That's why I said this has interesting implications on the nature of
>> objects, what makes something a contigous object, and so on. I'm sure
>> the philosophers of that world have found this a way of whiling away
>> those long winter evenings.
>
>It's a surprisingly hard question in *this* world (says the guy taking a
>graduate-level seminar in mereology, the philosophical study of part-
>whole relations, particularly as it relates to set theory - it turns out
>to be a remarkably complex and difficult subject). That it has more
>obvious practical implications in the (pre?-)Aristotelian world Terry
>posits, if anything, makes it *easier* in that setting.

I once had a universe that was actually created i 6,000 years
previous. So it looked like you were at the center of a sphere 12,000
light years across, and every year new stars would appear in the sky.

It made being an astrologer very interesting.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 10:34:31 PM

In article <cL6dnVQzoP1zVq3fRVn-1Q@comcast.com>,
Malachias Invictus <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:
>...which is of course where the "guns=magic wands of instant death" thing
>came from.

AAAAAAAH!

There ought to be a law that there can only be one gun thread at a time.
March 11, 2005 11:10:35 PM

> No 33 Secretary wrote:
>> "DougL" <doug.lampert@tdytsi.com> wrote in
>
>> > Same presure on both sides so it doesn't move. Really this is
> simple.
>> > The perpetual motion machine uses leverage and wieghts moving in
> and
>> > out from the axis of rotation as the go arround, we'll have the
> bugs
>> > out any day now.
>> >
>> I can show you patents.
>
> Patents or aplications? (A real question, I know there have been
> aplications, I'm not sure if they were accepted.)

Patents. They slipe through, from time to time. Always have.

> But I'm pretty sure that one goes back to the Greeks, and the
> thing is it might well work in an Aristilian physics world.

It probably would, unless you tried to do something with it.

> If I try to construct a mathematical model of what is happening
> in such a world I get it working for a fairly straightforward
> design, which makes building one a worthwhile experiment.
>
> Now, if I can just find someone able to build good bearings and a
> cam shaft in your gameworld (plus a bunch of gameworld money) we
> can get started, after that the only question will be can it
> produce enough energy to be useful prior to breaking down.

In the end, you'd likely find that you'd need magical components, and they
would be most costly, and more trouble to make, than simply building a
magic widgey to do what your machine would do.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 4:03:32 AM

In article <39dk5fF5v2p1qU1@individual.net>,
"Mark Blunden" <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote:

> Kevin Lowe wrote:
> > In article <Xns9615BB4B967EAtaustinhyperbookscom@216.168.3.50>,

> > That's the basis for a free energy/perpetual motion machine right
> > there.
> >
> > Arrange a ferris wheel of weights. Each weight is made up of multiple
> > pieces. As each weight passes the top of the wheel the mechanism
> > locks the pieces together rigidly. As each weight passes the bottom
> > of the wheel the mechanism allows the linkage to become flexible.
> > Hey presto, the machine gains energy with each revolution because it
> > takes less energy to hoist the flexibly linked weights up than you
> > get when you let them down again.
>
> You fool! That isn't free energy - you're expending the planet's limited
> supply of gravity with each revolution, faster than it can replenish. Do it
> too quickly and soon there'll be none left.

Don't worry. There are probably an equal and opposite number of portals
to the Plane of Gravity hidden at the bottom of lakes and stuff. If we
didn't burn some of it off we'd all weigh a ton and have, like, 10'
movement rate.

Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 4:23:29 PM

In article <1110560576.349746.87040@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"DougL" <doug.lampert@tdytsi.com> wrote:

> Kevin Lowe wrote:
>
> > Imagine a 100kg chain made up of 10000 10g links. it will fall as
> fast
> > as a single 10g link alone would fall. It falls much more slowly
> than a
> > single 100kg mass would do.
> >
> > Drop a 100kg block of metal and a 100kg pile of chain simultaneously.
>
> > The 100kg block lands with more oomph than the 100kg pile of chain.
> > Because it weighs the same, and it is moving faster.
>
> Why do you assume KE=1/2*M*V^2 in this world? It is EXPLICITLY
> non-newtonian. There IS no such thing as momentum or inertia.

If things moving faster hit with more oomph (and I assume that there is
oomph in this fantasy world), it follows. If things moving faster do
not hit with more oomph, crossbows would be kind of useless.

> > That's the basis for a free energy/perpetual motion machine right
> there.
>
> Since Kinetic energy does not exist in the aristolealean world I
> beg to differ.

That's why I said perpetual motion, since energy as such might not be
part of this fantasy world but I'm pretty damn sure motion is.

> Same presure on both sides so it doesn't move.

Can't be right. There has to be more downward pressure on the solid
blocks than the flexibly linked blocks, or else the solid blocks could
not fall faster. Unless pushing harder doesn't make things go faster in
this world, in which case crossbows and running wouldn't work.

Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.
!