MN740 XBOX wireless adapter issue

In trying to connect this adapter to the network I've
failed enough, so I'm looking for help.

Microsoft's Genius message I keep getting:
"No Network Detected: If your network uses a router, make
sure it's turned on... Bla bla bla."

Here's the network details:

Linksys 2.4ghz 802.11b Wireless router (BEFW11S4)
MN-740 XBOX wirless adapter
2 Wireless laptops, and a wireless PC (currently only PC
is on)

First attempt WEP was enabled, and MAC address filtering
is being done. Start up XBOX and can see network. Enter
WEP key, hit save, and get the genius error.

Second attempt removed WEP and just ran purely on MAC
filter, and again genius error.

Third attempt I questioned my signal strength and setup
the device right next to the router. Again, genius error.
I'd like to also note that this was done on a different
XBOX (roommates..I'm not in any way financially well
off..so don't hate)

If anyone has dealt with this issue and has a resolution
or even an idea of a good direction to head in, I'd
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
Dan
3 answers Last reply
More about mn740 xbox wireless adapter issue

    UPDATE:
    Followed firmware upgrade info from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/read
    me/readme_mn740_102.htm

    I now see the device on the router, but it's not giving
    it an IP. Oh and genius error still coming.. DUH my
    router is plugged in..otherwise I wouldn't be able to
    post this drama..haha

    Fixed it.. I unplugged everything for 10seconds. Plugged
    in the router first. Then the wireless device, and waited
    5 seconds, then turned on the xbox. There was also a
    different MAC address (the xbox's mac address for the NIC
    i guess..) that needed to be entered. Found this under
    the network settings..right above the "(A) select"..

    Oh well sorry for posting, but if anyone else runs into
    this issue hopefully they can get it working faster than
    I have.

    -Dan

    That's good news, Dan. Glad you discovered that. Sometimes it is a good
    idea, especially with the "always on" connections these days, to let the
    entire system "rest" a few minutes and then bring them back up in sequence,
    starting with the modem.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Dan M" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Fixed it.. I unplugged everything for 10seconds. Plugged
    > in the router first. Then the wireless device, and waited
    > 5 seconds, then turned on the xbox. There was also a
    > different MAC address (the xbox's mac address for the NIC
    > i guess..) that needed to be entered. Found this under
    > the network settings..right above the "(A) select"..
    >
    > Oh well sorry for posting, but if anyone else runs into
    > this issue hopefully they can get it working faster than
    > I have.
    >
    > -Dan

Routers Wireless Adapter Xbox Networking