a very noob question

For the life of me, I cannot seem to restore a saved game. When it's
late at night, and my husband is begging me to come to bed, I need to
save... and I'd obviously like to restore that saved game the next day.
No such luck. The handbook says that the restored game will start
"automatically", but that never works for me. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks - Laura

Well, you have to use the same name as the guy you saved.

If you saved a character named Billybob, just start a 'new' game with
one named Billybob and you'll keep the saved game.

Also if you quit a game or die in it, the saved game is deleted.

Cool Laura wrote:
> For the life of me, I cannot seem to restore a saved game. When it's
> late at night, and my husband is begging me to come to bed, I need to

Your hubby needs to realize there are priorities in life. Tell him you
are about to ascend to the status of demigod(ess) so he'll have to
wait.

> save... and I'd obviously like to restore that saved game the next
day.
> No such luck. The handbook says that the restored game will start
> "automatically", but that never works for me. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks - Laura

Aside from starting the game with the same name as the saved
character's name, if you are using the windows, you might be able to
restart the game by double clicking the saved game, maybe?

-K

Cool Laura wrote:
> For the life of me, I cannot seem to restore a saved game. When it's
> late at night, and my husband is begging me to come to bed, I need to
> save... and I'd obviously like to restore that saved game the next day.

So start again with nethack -u your_old_name_here , if you didn't
specify a name it defaults to your login so tgis should be fine.

> No such luck. The handbook says that the restored game will start
> "automatically", but that never works for me. What am I doing wrong?

I hope you used 'S'ave and not #quit, did you?

Lars

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Kremti" <kremti@gmail.com> wrote in
> Aside from starting the game with the same name as the saved
> character's name, if you are using the windows, you might be able to
> restart the game by double clicking the saved game, maybe?
>
> -K

No, that won't work as a save game file (for nethackwin) has no extension,
besides, you would have to specify in the command line a flag for the save
file.

Thank you all for the help. I was able to restore by typing in the same
name. Thanks!

>Your hubby needs to realize there are priorities in life. Tell him
you
>are about to ascend to the status of demigod(ess) so he'll have to
>wait.

Sadly, I am not anywhere close to such an exalted state. ;-) I'll have
to keep trying.

~Laura

Cool Laura babbled on for HOURS on 24 May 2005:

> Thank you all for the help. I was able to restore by typing in the same
> name. Thanks!
>
>>Your hubby needs to realize there are priorities in life. Tell him
> you
>>are about to ascend to the status of demigod(ess) so he'll have to
>>wait.
>
> Sadly, I am not anywhere close to such an exalted state. ;-) I'll have
> to keep trying.
>
> ~Laura

Laura Laura Laura -

You need to realize one thing - turn number ONE on _any_ NH game is "about
to ascend"