YANHQ I got a Wish

Hello I unleased a water demon and now he wants to grant me a wish. Whats
the Best item a beginning Samuri can use?? Can I ask for lots of food, or no
hunger?? That would help a lot. Help me out Thanks. Also I'm using NetHack
3.4.3

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Toja II wrote:

> Hello I unleased a water demon and now he wants to grant me a wish. Whats
> the Best item a beginning Samuri can use?? Can I ask for lots of food, or no
> hunger?? That would help a lot. Help me out Thanks. Also I'm using NetHack
> 3.4.3

You can only wish for objects (so 'no hunger' will not work that way).

You cannot ask for many objects (if you ask for more than one, there are
risks that you will only get one, the bigger the number you ask, the
higher the risk).

(so you could ask for 2 or 3 food rations, and get them, but that will not
keep your hunger at bay for a really long time, there are better things to
wish for (especially since there are plenty of other stuff to eat in that
dungeon...))

But you can ask for (almost) any object in the game, even the more
powerful ones. [not the Amulet of Yendor or similar object, and not a wand
of wishing or similar objects]

When you ask for something, specify *everything* you want. It is always
frustrating to ask for "a sword" and get "a cursed -5 short sword" [did it
in the beginning...] so, among other, ask specifially for "a blessed"
something (you should probably not need unblessed stuff right now), and
specify an enchantment for weapons and armors (again, a too high
anchantment can result in a +0, similarly as asking for many items).

After that, the point is to now what will be the most powerfull stuff
you'll need right now...

Since you're a samurai, you probably need either weapon or armor (rather
than, eg spellbook).

I guess, you've already come across some good armor such as mithril ones,
so you may try (with few spoiler) asking for "a blessed +2 dwarvish
mithril coat", but that is a bit wasted since you can often find them in
the mines.

You can also ask for rings which are a bit less common. Among other and
for the most useful, you may want slow digestion, regeneration [obvious
use], free action or conflict [less obvious use but really useful too].

Or you can ask for some of the really powerful items. Since you've
probably never seen one of them, i'll consider the rest as spoiler and put
it in rot13.

Nezbe: oyrffr +2 fvyire [be tenl] qentba fpnyr znvy
oyrffrq svkrq +2 fcrrq obbgf be tnhagyrgf bs cbjre
jrncbaf: tb sbe gur negvsnpgf!
oyrffrq svkrq +2 Tenlfjnaqve vf cbchyne, sebfg oenaq be sver oenaq ner
avpr gbb.

A list of popular wishes can be found at:
http://nh.gmuf.com/wish.html
It will probably contain more information that you need right now (I was a
bit lost the first time I read that spoiler).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Ok I got help on the #nethack and got a
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
blessed greased +2 dragon scale mail

Toja II schrieb am 23.05.05 23:30:

> Hello I unleased a water demon and now he wants to grant me a wish. Whats
> the Best item a beginning Samuri can use?? Can I ask for lots of food, or no
> hunger?? That would help a lot. Help me out Thanks. Also I'm using NetHack
> 3.4.3

That water demon came to me just a few hours ago, when I played a poor
rookie, who lost his only armor. I wished for a "blessed +3 dragon scale
mail", and I got it. So please give him my kind regards... ;-)

Ingo Leschnewsky <gondlir@tiscali.de> wrote in

> That water demon came to me just a few hours ago, when I played a poor
> rookie, who lost his only armor. I wished for a "blessed +3 dragon
> scale mail", and I got it. So please give him my kind regards... ;-)

What color dragon scale mail?

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> Ingo Leschnewsky <gondlir@tiscali.de> wrote in
>
> > That water demon came to me just a few hours ago, when I played a
poor
> > rookie, who lost his only armor. I wished for a "blessed +3 dragon
> > scale mail", and I got it. So please give him my kind regards...
;-)

> What color dragon scale mail?

Hmm. If you wish for dragon scale mail without specifying the colour,
does the game pick one for you at random? Perhaps it shoud give you a
suit of "plain dragon scale mail" or even "bleached dragon scale mail",
which has all the AC but none of the special protective qualities of
coloured DSM.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> "bleached dragon scale mail"

Hmm, hate to quote mself but I just had a flash of inspiration:
YANI: A laundrette. Comes with sinks, and a number of coin-operated
washing machines.

There is a washing machine here. Loot it?
Put something in or take something out?
You put a white dragon scale mail into the washing machine. --more--
You put a red sock into the washing machine. --more--
You put an orcish chain mail into the washing machine.

You put 20 zorkmids into the washing machine's coin slot.

--Wait a few hundred turns--

There is a washing machine here. Loot it?
Put something in or take something out?
You remove a red sock from the washing machine --more--
You remove a Pink Dragon Scale Mail from the washing machine --more--
You remove a thoroughly rusty orcish chain mail from the washing
machine --more--
Something falls out of the thoroughly rusty chain mail --more--
you forgot to empty the pockets! --more--
b - 3 blank scrolls
d - a ball of lint
2 zorkmids

The possibilities are endless. You could "colour alchemise" and bleach
your armour. You could stone-wash your armour! You could wash your
towels and smash up fragile items. You could blank your scrolls (but
beware the papier-mache golem). You could wash armour with potions to
give them special abilities. Hours of fun...

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>> Haakon Studebaker wrote:

>>> What color dragon scale mail?
>
>> Hmm. If you wish for dragon scale mail without specifying the colour,
>> does the game pick one for you at random?
>
> No. The game won't recognise "dragon scale mail" as a valid item, and
> give you a second chance to specify exactly what you want.

Are you sure? Wishing for "dragon scale mail" works in wizmode, and gives
a random coloured scale mail.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

Hi Haakon!

Haakon Studebaker schrieb:

>>That water demon came to me just a few hours ago, when I played a poor
>>rookie, who lost his only armor. I wished for a "blessed +3 dragon
>>scale mail", and I got it. So please give him my kind regards... ;-)
>
> What color dragon scale mail?

I'm not sure, but I think it was a gray dragon scale mail. (I died only
a few levels later, but I hope there's a bones file left...) :)

Regards,
Ingo

On 5/24/05 5:50 AM, dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> The possibilities are endless. You could "colour alchemise" and bleach
> your armour. You could stone-wash your armour! You could wash your
> towels and smash up fragile items. You could blank your scrolls (but
> beware the papier-mache golem). You could wash armour with potions to
> give them special abilities. Hours of fun...

You could tie-die your T-shirt. :)

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>> Ingo Leschnewsky <gondlir@tiscali.de> wrote:

>>> I wished for a "blessed +3 dragon scale mail", and I got it.

>> What color dragon scale mail?

> Hmm. If you wish for dragon scale mail without specifying the colour,
> does the game pick one for you at random?

No. The game won't recognise "dragon scale mail" as a valid item, and
give you a second chance to specify exactly what you want. After that,
there's three more chances to type it exactly right, and after your
fifth unsuccessful try, you'll get a random item (might be anything,
IIRC, even an iron chain or a rock).

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

On 5/24/05 6:11 AM, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>
>>Hmm. If you wish for dragon scale mail without specifying the colour,
>>does the game pick one for you at random?
>
> No. The game won't recognise "dragon scale mail" as a valid item, and
> give you a second chance to specify exactly what you want. After that,
> there's three more chances to type it exactly right, and after your
> fifth unsuccessful try, you'll get a random item (might be anything,
> IIRC, even an iron chain or a rock).

Explore mode testing says your are wrong.

What do you want to zap? [jl] l
For what do you want to wish? dragon scale mail
m - a black dragon scale mail

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong

On 5/24/05 6:11 AM, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> No. The game won't recognise "dragon scale mail" as a valid item, and
> give you a second chance to specify exactly what you want. After that,
> there's three more chances to type it exactly right, and after your
> fifth unsuccessful try, you'll get a random item (might be anything,
> IIRC, even an iron chain or a rock).

Explore mode testing says you are wrong.

What do you want to zap? [jl] l
For what do you want to wish? dragon scale mail
m - a black dragon scale mail

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong

On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:26:04 +0200,
Sean <sgegg@hotspammeallyouwantpop.com> wrote:

> But isn't "be careful what you wish for" the moral of any adventure
> that involves wishing? If anything, I think wishing should be made
> even more capable of malicious misunderstanding. Blessed +2 gray
> dragon scale mail? Okay, here are five gray dragons and two scrolls of
> enchant armor. Knock yourself out. Wand of death? Helloooo, Orcus!

I like it. But it's open to abuse. Maybe I have reflection and a ring
of conflict. Or if can cast tame monster reliably, then I've just been
granted my own personal platoon of gray dragons. Maybe a gray dragon
egg and a rusty wand of polymorph with nothing remaining but that very
last charge.

Or perhaps everything received from a wish should be cursed and "remove
curse"-resistant. Well, except, of course, for potions of water, which
can be more valuable cursed than blessed. And scrolls of genocide and
enchant foo. And magic markers. And potions of gain foo. And....

Or perhaps the devteam should have been more careful when it wished that
there were so many positive uses even for cursed and seemingly useless
items.... ;-)

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers
<http://www.tombstonezero.net/dan/>

On 2005-05-25, Dan Sommers wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:26:04 +0200,
> Sean <sgegg@hotspammeallyouwantpop.com> wrote:
>
>> But isn't "be careful what you wish for" the moral of any adventure
>> that involves wishing? If anything, I think wishing should be made
>> even more capable of malicious misunderstanding. Blessed +2 gray
>> dragon scale mail? Okay, here are five gray dragons and two scrolls of
>> enchant armor. Knock yourself out. Wand of death? Helloooo, Orcus!
>
> I like it. But it's open to abuse. Maybe I have reflection and a ring
> of conflict. Or if can cast tame monster reliably, then I've just been
> granted my own personal platoon of gray dragons. Maybe a gray dragon
> egg and a rusty wand of polymorph with nothing remaining but that very
> last charge.

The natural way to implement this seems to be introducing a slim chance
for (one of?) the bad outcome(s). That way it would also be more tempting
to try a risky wish even when you know about this and are
under-prepared.

greetings,
Ohle
--
Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251

seraphim

Dan Sommers <me@privacy.net> wrote in

> On Wed, 25 May 2005 12:26:04 +0200,
> Sean <sgegg@hotspammeallyouwantpop.com> wrote:
>
>> But isn't "be careful what you wish for" the moral of any adventure
>> that involves wishing? If anything, I think wishing should be made
>> even more capable of malicious misunderstanding. Blessed +2 gray
>> dragon scale mail? Okay, here are five gray dragons and two scrolls
>> of enchant armor. Knock yourself out. Wand of death? Helloooo,
>> Orcus!
>
> I like it. But it's open to abuse. Maybe I have reflection and a
> ring of conflict. Or if can cast tame monster reliably, then I've
> just been granted my own personal platoon of gray dragons. Maybe a
> gray dragon egg and a rusty wand of polymorph with nothing remaining
> but that very last charge.

I don't see the problem, if you can tame monsters reliably and wanted a
personal platoon of gray dragons then you could just wish for cursed
scrolls of genocide.