Another bad support experience!

I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem on
this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of my
time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the phone is
more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and find
the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So I
see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that isn'
t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card, the
Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few minutes
sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on and
says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you to
the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!" He
said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical support".
Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons and
after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If you
would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."

As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and the
last Dell I buy!
52 answers Last reply
More about another support experience

    I thought the line in port was to pipe sound in and not to put sound out?

    "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    > I thought the line in port was to pipe sound in and not to put sound out?

    He probably means that the "Line In" signal never gets routed to the output.

    Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I just
    wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of sense
    would know what I meant about the Line-in.

    CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
    hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally late
    last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the driver
    for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver says
    I have no sound card.

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:42:12 -0400, DavidB wrote:

    > Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I just
    > wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of sense
    > would know what I meant about the Line-in.
    >
    > CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
    > hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally late
    > last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the driver
    > for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver says
    > I have no sound card.

    Again, just making sure but the line-in is normally muted unless you
    un-mute it in the audio advanced properties. Did you un-mute it? I know
    anytime there are problems of no sound one of the best places to check it
    the advanced audio properties to make sure it wasn't clicked off or
    selected or whatever.

    Start with the little things (does it have power? is it plugged in?) was
    always the way to go in my experiences so far with stuff that wasn't
    working.

    :-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    The line-in port is not outputting any sound? This is a joke right? Or are
    you a nincompoop?

    "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem on
    > this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
    > Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
    > my
    > time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the phone
    > is
    > more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and find
    > the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
    > listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So I
    > see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that
    > isn'
    > t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card, the
    > Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few minutes
    > sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on
    > and
    > says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you to
    > the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
    > warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!"
    > He
    > said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical
    > support".
    > Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons
    > and
    > after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If
    > you
    > would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."
    >
    > As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and
    > the
    > last Dell I buy!

    lol

    "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem on
    > this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
    > Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
    > my
    > time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the phone
    > is
    > more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and find
    > the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
    > listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So I
    > see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that
    > isn'
    > t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card, the
    > Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few minutes
    > sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on
    > and
    > says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you to
    > the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
    > warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!"
    > He
    > said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical
    > support".
    > Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons
    > and
    > after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If
    > you
    > would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."
    >
    > As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and
    > the
    > last Dell I buy!

    yes, I un-mutted it, and selected it. And as far as the 'little things', I
    agree. I always figure the first place to look for the problem is at the
    beginning with the most obvious.

    thanks for your constructive input.

    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:42:12 -0400, DavidB wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I
    just
    > > wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of
    sense
    > > would know what I meant about the Line-in.
    > >
    > > CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
    > > hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally
    late
    > > last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the
    driver
    > > for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver
    says
    > > I have no sound card.
    >
    > Again, just making sure but the line-in is normally muted unless you
    > un-mute it in the audio advanced properties. Did you un-mute it? I know
    > anytime there are problems of no sound one of the best places to check it
    > the advanced audio properties to make sure it wasn't clicked off or
    > selected or whatever.
    >
    > Start with the little things (does it have power? is it plugged in?) was
    > always the way to go in my experiences so far with stuff that wasn't
    > working.
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    What's the source that is plugged into Line In? That can make a huge
    difference. I believe your sound card likely needs an amplified input. It
    DEFINATELY won't like speaker or headphone levels, like from an MP3 player.

    Also, the Creative drivers on their website require that the drivers that
    came with the system be installed first. These would NOT install with the
    OS. They would be on a separate silver CD. Which sound card is it?

    The more specifics you can give us, the better we can help.

    Tom

    DavidB wrote:

    > Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I just
    > wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of sense
    > would know what I meant about the Line-in.
    >
    > CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
    > hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally late
    > last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the driver
    > for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver says
    > I have no sound card.

    And the outcome (of your reinstall) was?

    Notan

    Sorry. I reinstalled hardware and software last night but then got some
    weird results. The installer program for the driver update that I
    downloaded from Creative finally recognized that I had a sound card, but
    then it said that all the supporting software for the card wasn't installed,
    therefore it could not proceed with driver update. But I had just
    reinstalled everything!

    So, now I think I will just wipe the hard drive clean, reformat and
    reinstall the entire system. Besides, I have yet, through Dell or
    Microsoft, found a solution to the other major problem I have that no one
    can log on to the computer unless they are an administator.

    I seem to spend most of my time having to troubleshoot problems instead of
    doing productive work. It's depressing.

    > DavidB wrote:
    > >
    > > Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I
    just
    > > wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of
    sense
    > > would know what I meant about the Line-in.
    > >
    > > CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
    > > hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally
    late
    > > last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the
    driver
    > > for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver
    says
    > > I have no sound card.
    >
    > And the outcome (of your reinstall) was?
    >
    > Notan

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:17:53 -0400, DavidB wrote:

    [snip]

    > So, now I think I will just wipe the hard drive clean, reformat and
    > reinstall the entire system. Besides, I have yet, through Dell or
    > Microsoft, found a solution to the other major problem I have that no one
    > can log on to the computer unless they are an administator.

    Just making sure, but did you create any non-administrator accounts?

    > I seem to spend most of my time having to troubleshoot problems instead of
    > doing productive work. It's depressing.

    Hmmmm... this isn't your first computer... is it? ;-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    After the last reinstall I created two 'User' accounts and one 'Power User'
    account, and they worked fine for about a year. Then something happened
    (still don't know what) that made the system unstable and kept getting the
    'blue screen'. Then one day no one could sign on but the administrator.
    Tried all sorts of things suggested and none worked.

    Second question - no, this is about my 5th computer, but I guess I still get
    frustrated by problems. :-(

    DavidB wrote:

    > Sorry. I reinstalled hardware and software last night but then got some
    > weird results. The installer program for the driver update that I
    > downloaded from Creative finally recognized that I had a sound card, but
    > then it said that all the supporting software for the card wasn't installed,
    > therefore it could not proceed with driver update. But I had just
    > reinstalled everything!
    >
    > So, now I think I will just wipe the hard drive clean, reformat and
    > reinstall the entire system. Besides, I have yet, through Dell or
    > Microsoft, found a solution to the other major problem I have that no one
    > can log on to the computer unless they are an administator.
    >
    > I seem to spend most of my time having to troubleshoot problems instead of
    > doing productive work. It's depressing.

    Wiping the drive, installing a fresh OS, etc. is the first thing I do,
    upon receiving a new system.

    Pain in the ass, but worth it.

    If you're going to do that, you might want to experiment, first, with
    such things as installing all those programs/updates/whatever that you
    were reluctant to install, for fear of corrupting your system.

    Good luck!

    Notan

    Some good suggestions. I'll give it a try. I should note though that this
    is the THIRD time I will of had to reinstall Win2k because of some fault in
    the system that I could not get a solution from tech support on and that I
    could not figure out a solution for. I have had this computer a little over
    2 years.

    thanks again.
    david

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:44:40 -0400, DavidB wrote:

    > Some good suggestions. I'll give it a try. I should note though that this
    > is the THIRD time I will of had to reinstall Win2k because of some fault in
    > the system that I could not get a solution from tech support on and that I
    > could not figure out a solution for. I have had this computer a little over
    > 2 years.

    Wow, three times in two years isn't bad at all.

    Dave
    Who goes about six months in between reinstalls, sometimes even more often.

    "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > It is a shame this is what it comes down to is poor customer service and
    > tech support.

    <snip>

    What it's come down to is the commoditization of the personal computer.
    Almost no one complains on the front end about how inexpensive even
    upper-tier systems have become.

    We, the consumers, are now choosing (most of us, anyway) to risk paying on
    the backside :)

    Stew

    You gotta be kidding me. I thought that (3 times) was terrible, but it all
    has been educational anyway.

    > What's the source that is plugged into Line In? That can make a huge
    > difference. I believe your sound card likely needs an amplified input. It
    > DEFINATELY won't like speaker or headphone levels, like from an MP3
    player.

    Tom, I thought about hooking up the cassette player (which has no built-in
    amplification that I know of) to an amplifier and then the output of the amp
    to the Line-In, but in the creative directions it shows the player directly
    hooked to Line-In. But I will give that a try.

    > Also, the Creative drivers on their website require that the drivers that
    > came with the system be installed first. These would NOT install with the
    > OS. They would be on a separate silver CD. Which sound card is it?

    I have the soundblaster live! value card and what I reinstalled last night
    was the Creative software after having gone through the process of having
    Windows recognize the hardware. So the drivers should have installed when
    you install everything. I am wondering if this whole thing isn't related to
    some overall problem with the Win OS itself. That is why I thought to do a
    clean install of the whole system - perhaps tonight.

    > The more specifics you can give us, the better we can help.
    >
    > Tom
    > "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > yes, I un-mutted it, and selected it. And as far as the 'little
    things',
    > > agree. I always figure the first place to look for the problem is at
    the
    > > beginning with the most obvious.
    > >
    > > thanks for your constructive input.
    > >
    > > "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message

    > > just
    > > sense

    Finally
    > > late
    > > driver
    > > says
    > >>
    > >> Again, just making sure but the line-in is normally muted unless you
    > >> un-mute it in the audio advanced properties. Did you un-mute it? I
    know
    > >> anytime there are problems of no sound one of the best places to check
    it
    > >> the advanced audio properties to make sure it wasn't clicked off or
    > >> selected or whatever.
    > >>
    > >> Start with the little things (does it have power? is it plugged in?)
    was
    > >> always the way to go in my experiences so far with stuff that wasn't
    > >> working.
    > >>
    > >> :-)
    > >>
    > >> Dave
    > >> --
    > >> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > >> US Army Signal Corps!!
    > >>
    > >> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    > >>
    > >> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    I think there is alot of truth in what you are saying, generally, but I did
    not try to come out cheap on my 8200. It cost well above the minimum
    system. And I didn't even list all of the problems I have had with this
    computer. The assembly of this unit (loose, rattling parts) left much to be
    desired.

    > "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > It is a shame this is what it comes down to is poor customer service and
    > > tech support.
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > What it's come down to is the commoditization of the personal computer.
    > Almost no one complains on the front end about how inexpensive even
    > upper-tier systems have become.
    >
    > We, the consumers, are now choosing (most of us, anyway) to risk paying on
    > the backside :)
    >

    > Stew

    David,

    That particular card is likely an OEM version. Unfortunately, this was a
    period when Dell installed "less than stellar" versions of Creative's cards.
    I found that if I tried Creative's drivers, rather than Dell's, that the
    sound card would either not function at all or would exhibit unusual
    behavior. Before you go to the trouble of a full install, try downloading
    the drivers from support.dell.com. Enter your system id and it will steer
    you to the right drivers.

    Tom

    >> What's the source that is plugged into Line In? That can make a huge
    >> difference. I believe your sound card likely needs an amplified input.
    >> It
    >> DEFINATELY won't like speaker or headphone levels, like from an MP3
    > player.
    >>
    > Tom, I thought about hooking up the cassette player (which has no built-in
    > amplification that I know of) to an amplifier and then the output of the
    > amp
    > to the Line-In, but in the creative directions it shows the player
    > directly
    > hooked to Line-In. But I will give that a try.
    >>
    >> Also, the Creative drivers on their website require that the drivers that
    >> came with the system be installed first. These would NOT install with
    >> the
    >> OS. They would be on a separate silver CD. Which sound card is it?
    >>
    > I have the soundblaster live! value card and what I reinstalled last night
    > was the Creative software after having gone through the process of having
    > Windows recognize the hardware. So the drivers should have installed when
    > you install everything. I am wondering if this whole thing isn't related
    > some overall problem with the Win OS itself. That is why I thought to do
    > clean install of the whole system - perhaps tonight.
    >>
    >> The more specifics you can give us, the better we can help.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >> "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> > yes, I un-mutted it, and selected it. And as far as the 'little
    > things',
    >> > agree. I always figure the first place to look for the problem is at
    > the
    >> > beginning with the most obvious.
    >> >
    >> > thanks for your constructive input.
    >> >
    >> > "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message

    >> > just
    >> > sense

    > when
    > Finally
    >> > late
    >> > driver
    > driver
    >> > says

    > know
    > it

    > was

    Thanks! I'll give that a try. It is indeed an OEM card, and seems that I
    read somewhere else what you were saying Tom that the Line-In on some of
    those would not work properly, which seems completely unacceptable to me to
    sell merchandise that way.

    I'll let you know the outcome.

    > David,
    >
    > That particular card is likely an OEM version. Unfortunately, this was a
    > period when Dell installed "less than stellar" versions of Creative's
    cards.
    > I found that if I tried Creative's drivers, rather than Dell's, that the
    > sound card would either not function at all or would exhibit unusual
    > behavior. Before you go to the trouble of a full install, try downloading
    > the drivers from support.dell.com. Enter your system id and it will steer
    > you to the right drivers.
    >
    > Tom
    > "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > >> What's the source that is plugged into Line In? That can make a huge
    > >> difference. I believe your sound card likely needs an amplified input.
    > >> It
    > >> DEFINATELY won't like speaker or headphone levels, like from an MP3
    > > player.
    > >>
    > > Tom, I thought about hooking up the cassette player (which has no
    built-in
    > > amplification that I know of) to an amplifier and then the output of the
    > > amp
    > > to the Line-In, but in the creative directions it shows the player
    > > directly
    > > hooked to Line-In. But I will give that a try.
    > >>
    > >> Also, the Creative drivers on their website require that the drivers
    that
    > >> came with the system be installed first. These would NOT install with
    > >> the
    > >> OS. They would be on a separate silver CD. Which sound card is it?
    > >>
    > > I have the soundblaster live! value card and what I reinstalled last
    night
    > > was the Creative software after having gone through the process of
    having
    > > Windows recognize the hardware. So the drivers should have installed
    when
    > > you install everything. I am wondering if this whole thing isn't
    related
    > > some overall problem with the Win OS itself. That is why I thought to
    do
    > > clean install of the whole system - perhaps tonight.
    > >>
    > >> The more specifics you can give us, the better we can help.
    > >>
    > >> Tom
    > >> "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > things',
    > > the

    > > when
    > > Finally
    > > driver

    > > know
    > > it

    > > was

    Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use is
    "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be heard as
    "outputs".

    "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    > I thought the line in port was to pipe sound in and not to put sound out?
    >

    > "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem
    > on
    > > this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
    > > Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
    > my
    > > time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the
    phone
    > is
    > > more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and
    find
    > > the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
    > > listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So
    > > see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that
    > isn'
    > > t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card,
    the
    > > Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few
    minutes
    > > sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on
    > and
    > > says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you
    > > the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
    > > warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!"
    > He
    > > said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical
    > support".
    > > Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons
    > and
    > > after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If
    > you
    > > would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."
    > >
    > > As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and
    > the
    > > last Dell I buy!

    Sadly, it matters not, how much you spend for your computer. If you are a
    "Home/Home Business" buyer, you get the same sorry service whether you spend
    $400 or $3000.

    > I think there is alot of truth in what you are saying, generally, but I
    did
    > not try to come out cheap on my 8200. It cost well above the minimum
    > system. And I didn't even list all of the problems I have had with this
    > computer. The assembly of this unit (loose, rattling parts) left much to
    be
    > desired.
    >
    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > It is a shame this is what it comes down to is poor customer service
    and
    > > > tech support.
    > > >

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > What it's come down to is the commoditization of the personal computer.
    > > Almost no one complains on the front end about how inexpensive even
    > > upper-tier systems have become.
    > >
    > > We, the consumers, are now choosing (most of us, anyway) to risk paying
    on
    > > the backside :)
    > >

    > > Stew

    I wonder, just who the "nincompoop" is?

    > The line-in port is not outputting any sound? This is a joke right? Or
    are
    > you a nincompoop?
    >
    > "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem
    on
    > > this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
    > > Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
    > > my
    > > time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the
    phone
    > > is
    > > more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and
    find
    > > the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
    > > listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So
    > > see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that
    > > isn'
    > > t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card,
    the
    > > Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few
    minutes
    > > sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on
    > > and
    > > says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you
    > > the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
    > > warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!"
    > > He
    > > said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical
    > > support".
    > > Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons
    > > and
    > > after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If
    > > you
    > > would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."
    > >
    > > As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and
    > > the
    > > last Dell I buy!

    DavidB <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > I spent over 2 hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem on
    > this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
    > Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of my
    > time I decided to call dell's magnificent support.

    Hey David -

    Dell has web support forums that are very good. You can find quite
    a few articles there that appear to address this exact issue with the
    line-in jack.

    The forums are located at: http://forums.us.dell.com

    Here's a sample article about the 8200 line-in jack:
    http://tinyurl.com/4ms86
    Please check it out. This may be the exact issue.

    .... Brian
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Brian" <brian@nospam.edu> wrote in message
    > DavidB <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >> I spent over 2 hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem on
    >> this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
    >> Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
    >> my
    >> time I decided to call dell's magnificent support.
    >
    > Hey David -
    >
    > Dell has web support forums that are very good. You can find quite
    > a few articles there that appear to address this exact issue with the
    > line-in jack.
    >
    > The forums are located at: http://forums.us.dell.com
    >
    > Here's a sample article about the 8200 line-in jack:
    > http://tinyurl.com/4ms86
    > Please check it out. This may be the exact issue.
    >
    > ... Brian

    Well, that's a fix for an INSPIRON 8200, not a DIMENSION 8200, but the
    forums are a good suggestion.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > "Brian" <brian@nospam.edu> wrote in message
    > > DavidB <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > >> I spent over 2 hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem
    on
    > >> this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help
    and
    > >> Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore
    of
    > >> my
    > >> time I decided to call dell's magnificent support.
    > >
    > > Hey David -
    > >
    > > Dell has web support forums that are very good. You can find quite
    > > a few articles there that appear to address this exact issue with the
    > > line-in jack.
    > >
    > > The forums are located at: http://forums.us.dell.com
    > >
    > > Here's a sample article about the 8200 line-in jack:
    > > http://tinyurl.com/4ms86
    > > Please check it out. This may be the exact issue.
    > >
    > > ... Brian
    >
    > Well, that's a fix for an INSPIRON 8200, not a DIMENSION 8200, but the
    > forums are a good suggestion.

    David, I had a problem with the same sound card and it turned out to be a
    bad install of the Modem drivers. Go figure. HTH
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Irene wrote:

    > Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use is
    > "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be heard as
    > "outputs".

    "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.

    One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
    of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
    in.

    It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
    answer is "no."

    Notan
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Irene wrote:
    >>
    >> Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use is
    >> "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be heard
    >> as
    >> "outputs".
    >
    > "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
    >
    > One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
    > of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
    > in.
    >
    > It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
    > answer is "no."
    >
    > Notan

    My favorite is a tech support call (perhaps an urban legend) where the
    customer complained their machine wouldn't boot. When asked whether it was
    plugged in, they responded that their candle wasn't bright enough to see --
    the lights were out due to a power outage.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Notan is absolutely right. Sometimes in our quest to be technical wizards we
    overlook the most basic solutions. Like the time I could get sound from my
    right speaker, but not from the left, no matter what I tried...until I
    pushed the jack all the way in.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    > Irene wrote:
    > >
    > > Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use
    is
    > > "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be
    heard as
    > > "outputs".
    >
    > "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
    >
    > One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
    > of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
    > in.
    >
    > It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
    > answer is "no."
    >
    > Notan
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Irene wrote:
    >>
    >> Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use is
    >> "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be heard
    >> as
    >> "outputs".
    >
    > "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
    >
    > One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
    > of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
    > in.
    >
    > It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
    > answer is "no."
    >
    > Notan

    Yup, and I'd run the dell diags on the card as well just to be sure....

    Stew
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Notan wrote:

    > Irene wrote:
    > >
    > > Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use is
    > > "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be heard as
    > > "outputs".
    >
    > "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
    >
    > One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
    > of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
    > in.
    >
    > It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
    > answer is "no."
    >
    > Notan

    Just to belabor the point, "Line In" and "Line Out" can be *very*
    confusing to the hookup newbie... I'd imagine that's the reason
    manufacturers are now color-coding plugs and jacks.

    OK, I'm done. <g>

    Notan
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Thanks Brian, I'll check it out. Just got home; going to work on all of it
    tonight.

    "Brian" <brian@nospam.edu> wrote in message
    > DavidB <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > > I spent over 2 hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem
    on
    > > this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
    > > Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
    my
    > > time I decided to call dell's magnificent support.
    >
    > Hey David -
    >
    > Dell has web support forums that are very good. You can find quite
    > a few articles there that appear to address this exact issue with the
    > line-in jack.
    >
    > The forums are located at: http://forums.us.dell.com
    >
    > Here's a sample article about the 8200 line-in jack:
    > http://tinyurl.com/4ms86
    > Please check it out. This may be the exact issue.
    >
    > ... Brian
  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I'll never forget the one in class one day when a brand new student went to
    the teacher and said that the computer would not respond. The teacher
    walked over to the unit and a dialog box was on screen asking the user if
    they wanted to do some thing and the response options were yes/no. She told
    the girl that you have to tell it yes, so press the Enter key (because 'yes'
    had focus). The student looked at the screen intently and said in a loud
    voice "Yes" and then pushed the Enter key. Fortunately no one made fun of
    her though. I wish I had a dollar for all the dumb things I have done. I
    could afford to custom build me the best damn computer in the world.

    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > > Irene wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use
    isl
    > >> "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be
    heard
    > >> as
    > >> "outputs".
    > >
    > > "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
    > >
    > > One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
    > > of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
    > > in.
    > >
    > > It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
    > > answer is "no."
    > >
    > > Notan
    >
    > My favorite is a tech support call (perhaps an urban legend) where the
    > customer complained their machine wouldn't boot. When asked whether it was
    > plugged in, they responded that their candle wasn't bright enough to
    see --
    > the lights were out due to a power outage.

  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Yup, and I'd run the dell diags on the card as well just to be sure....
    >

    > Stew

    Yeah, I did that Stew, and it only told me that I had no card (see previous
    posts). Then after all the above I ran it again and it saw the card, but
    said I had no software installed. What it didn't do, which was
    disappointing, it didn't 'do' anything else but tell me that the stuff
    wasn't there (but it was) and that IT was shutting down and couldn't do any
    more. Now what good is that?
  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I remember that call. I think it was Irene.

    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    >> Irene wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use
    >>> is
    >>> "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be
    >>> heard as
    >>> "outputs".
    >>
    >> "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
    >>
    >> One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
    >> of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
    >> in.
    >>
    >> It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
    >> answer is "no."
    >>
    >> Notan
    >
    > My favorite is a tech support call (perhaps an urban legend) where the
    > customer complained their machine wouldn't boot. When asked whether it was
    > plugged in, they responded that their candle wasn't bright enough to
    > see -- the lights were out due to a power outage.

  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Yup, and I'd run the dell diags on the card as well just to be sure....
    >>

    >> Stew
    >>
    > Yeah, I did that Stew, and it only told me that I had no card (see
    > previous
    > posts). Then after all the above I ran it again and it saw the card, but
    > said I had no software installed. What it didn't do, which was
    > disappointing, it didn't 'do' anything else but tell me that the stuff
    > wasn't there (but it was) and that IT was shutting down and couldn't do
    > any
    > more. Now what good is that?

    David,

    Sorry I missed your diags post. Well if the card was not seen, but now IS
    seen suggests either intermittent card, PCI slot, or even PCI bus failure.

    I was able to successfully identify a bad SBLive! card by getting it to fail
    the internal loopback test when running the complete diags.

    Again, forgive my lapse of not reading the entire thread, but are you to a
    point of hardware replacement now?

    Stew
  38. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    You are of course correct. But what has that got to do with the comment that
    I was replying about? See below.

    "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    > I thought the line in port was to pipe sound in and not to put sound out?

    > Irene wrote:
    > >
    > > Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use
    is
    > > "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be
    heard as
    > > "outputs".
    >
    > "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
    >
    > One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
    > of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
    > in.
    >
    > It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
    > answer is "no."
    >
    > Notan
  39. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:13:44 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Sadly, it matters not, how much you spend for your computer. If you are a
    >"Home/Home Business" buyer, you get the same sorry service whether you spend
    >$400 or $3000.

    Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
    statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
    Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
    was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
    Didn't get put on hold.

    c ya
    Frank
  40. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    And your point is?

    Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the guy
    that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".

    "Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:13:44 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Sadly, it matters not, how much you spend for your computer. If you are
    > >"Home/Home Business" buyer, you get the same sorry service whether you
    spend
    > >$400 or $3000.
    >

    > Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
    > statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
    > Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
    > was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
    > Didn't get put on hold.
    >
    > c ya
    > Frank
  41. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    No, I got the sound card working, so I don't (at this point) see a need to
    replace it, unless it goes intermittent as you mentioned. Some day maybe I
    can afford an upgrade.

    Thanks for your input.

    > "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> Yup, and I'd run the dell diags on the card as well just to be sure....
    > >>

    > >> Stew
    > >>
    > > Yeah, I did that Stew, and it only told me that I had no card (see
    > > previous
    > > posts). Then after all the above I ran it again and it saw the card, but
    > > said I had no software installed. What it didn't do, which was
    > > disappointing, it didn't 'do' anything else but tell me that the stuff
    > > wasn't there (but it was) and that IT was shutting down and couldn't do
    > > any
    > > more. Now what good is that?
    > >

    > David,
    >
    > Sorry I missed your diags post. Well if the card was not seen, but now IS
    > seen suggests either intermittent card, PCI slot, or even PCI bus failure.
    >
    > I was able to successfully identify a bad SBLive! card by getting it to
    fail
    > the internal loopback test when running the complete diags.
    >
    > Again, forgive my lapse of not reading the entire thread, but are you to a
    > point of hardware replacement now?
    >

    > Stew

  42. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Few have gotten worse than you.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > And your point is?
    >
    > Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the guy
    > that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".
    >
    > "Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:13:44 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Sadly, it matters not, how much you spend for your computer. If you
    are
    > > >"Home/Home Business" buyer, you get the same sorry service whether you
    > spend
    > > >$400 or $3000.
    > >

    > > Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
    > > statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
    > > Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
    > > was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
    > > Didn't get put on hold.
    > >
    > > c ya
    > > Frank

  43. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Not sure what that means, other than the fact that you know very little
    about the service that I have or have not received.

    "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > Few have gotten worse than you.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > And your point is?
    > >
    > > Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the
    guy
    > > that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".
    > >
    > > "Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > are
    > > spend
    > > >

    > > > Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
    > > > statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
    > > > Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
    > > > was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
    > > > Didn't get put on hold.
    > > >
    > > > c ya
    > > > Frank

  44. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:02:01 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >And your point is?

    The point being that priority support is included with their upper end
    line (hence the reference "no hold, no IVR hell").

    I assumed a $400 box wouldn't get that same level.

    The support service techs I spoke with each time answered on the
    second or third ring & were knowledgeable & helpful in quickly
    resolving my issues.

    I don't know what Dell's bottom end priced PC line of service is like,
    since this is my first box from them. However, I purchased many
    systems from another vendor for nine years & their tiered support
    service differed drastically, depending on the system price\support
    package.

    >Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the guy
    >that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".

    It's been my experience that this has only been the case after jumping
    though many hoops (IVR Hell), only to get transferred to a human
    (who's line is busy, so you're told to call back later...) when
    purchasing any vendor's bottom end line.

    regards,
    Frank

    >"Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:13:44 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Sadly, it matters not, how much you spend for your computer. If you are
    >> >"Home/Home Business" buyer, you get the same sorry service whether you
    >spend
    >> >$400 or $3000.
    >>

    >> Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
    >> statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
    >> Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
    >> was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
    >> Didn't get put on hold.
    >>
    >> c ya
    >> Frank

  45. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I just read through the support options for the Dimension desk tops and the
    only difference that I could find was that Dell provides a separate support
    group that are supposed to be better trained on the XPS. Express
    Service(which is what you appear to be referring to) is an option on all
    Dimensions, as far as I can determine.

    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:02:01 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >And your point is?
    >
    > The point being that priority support is included with their upper end
    > line (hence the reference "no hold, no IVR hell").
    >
    > I assumed a $400 box wouldn't get that same level.
    >
    > The support service techs I spoke with each time answered on the
    > second or third ring & were knowledgeable & helpful in quickly
    > resolving my issues.
    >
    > I don't know what Dell's bottom end priced PC line of service is like,
    > since this is my first box from them. However, I purchased many
    > systems from another vendor for nine years & their tiered support
    > service differed drastically, depending on the system price\support
    > package.
    >

    > >Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the
    guy
    > >that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".
    >
    > It's been my experience that this has only been the case after jumping
    > though many hoops (IVR Hell), only to get transferred to a human
    > (who's line is busy, so you're told to call back later...) when
    > purchasing any vendor's bottom end line.
    >
    > regards,
    > Frank
    >

    > >"Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > >spend
    > >>

    > >> Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
    > >> statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
    > >> Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
    > >> was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
    > >> Didn't get put on hold.
    > >>
    > >> c ya
    > >> Frank

  46. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    My apologies. The correct terminology is "Express Technical Support". And
    that appears to be available for all Dimension desktop computers.

    > I just read through the support options for the Dimension desk tops and
    the
    > only difference that I could find was that Dell provides a separate
    support
    > group that are supposed to be better trained on the XPS. Express
    > Service(which is what you appear to be referring to) is an option on all
    > Dimensions, as far as I can determine.
    >
    > "Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:02:01 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >And your point is?
    > >
    > > The point being that priority support is included with their upper end
    > > line (hence the reference "no hold, no IVR hell").
    > >
    > > I assumed a $400 box wouldn't get that same level.
    > >
    > > The support service techs I spoke with each time answered on the
    > > second or third ring & were knowledgeable & helpful in quickly
    > > resolving my issues.
    > >
    > > I don't know what Dell's bottom end priced PC line of service is like,
    > > since this is my first box from them. However, I purchased many
    > > systems from another vendor for nine years & their tiered support
    > > service differed drastically, depending on the system price\support
    > > package.
    > >

    > > >Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the
    > guy
    > > >that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".
    > >
    > > It's been my experience that this has only been the case after jumping
    > > though many hoops (IVR Hell), only to get transferred to a human
    > > (who's line is busy, so you're told to call back later...) when
    > > purchasing any vendor's bottom end line.
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > Frank
    > >

    > > >"Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > are
    > > >spend

  47. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Given how much you complain in this newsgroup, I can't think of anyone who
    knows very little about the service you have or have not received.
    --

    > Not sure what that means, other than the fact that you know very little
    > about the service that I have or have not received.
    >
    > >g<
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Few have gotten worse than you.
    > >
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >
    > > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > And your point is?
    > > >
    > > > Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the
    > guy
    > > > that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".
    > > >
    > > > "Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > are
    > you
    > > > spend

    XPS

  48. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    SURE----SURE

    So, besides being an XSpurt, .you read minds >g<

    > Given how much you complain in this newsgroup, I can't think of anyone who
    > knows very little about the service you have or have not received.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Not sure what that means, other than the fact that you know very little
    > > about the service that I have or have not received.
    > >
    > > >g<
    > >
    > > "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Few have gotten worse than you.
    > > >
    > > > Ted Zieglar
    > > >
    > > > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > guy

    <girlsrule@hotmail.com>

    > you
    > > > are
    > > you

    > your
    > XPS
    > phone

  49. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    BTW, since you are so positive that you know what problems that I have and
    have not had, how about refreshing my memory?
    If you fail to reply with a list of my problems, I shall be forced to assume
    you are just another in this group, who is all talk.

Dell Support Computers