Another bad support experience!

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 29, 2004 4:13:45 AM

I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem on
this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of my
time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the phone is
more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and find
the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So I
see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that isn'
t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card, the
Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few minutes
sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on and
says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you to
the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!" He
said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical support".
Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons and
after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If you
would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."

As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and the
last Dell I buy!

More about : bad support experience

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 4:13:46 AM

I thought the line in port was to pipe sound in and not to put sound out?

"DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem
on
> this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
> Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
my
> time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the phone
is
> more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and find
> the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
> listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So I
> see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that
isn'
> t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card, the
> Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few minutes
> sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on
and
> says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you to
> the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
> warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!"
He
> said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical
support".
> Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons
and
> after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If
you
> would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."
>
> As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and
the
> last Dell I buy!

August 29, 2004 5:51:03 AM

"CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
> I thought the line in port was to pipe sound in and not to put sound out?

He probably means that the "Line In" signal never gets routed to the output.
Related resources
August 29, 2004 2:42:12 PM

Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I just
wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of sense
would know what I meant about the Line-in.

CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally late
last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the driver
for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver says
I have no sound card.

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
> > I thought the line in port was to pipe sound in and not to put sound
out?er

> He probably means that the "Line In" signal never gets routed to the
output.

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 2:42:13 PM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:42:12 -0400, DavidB wrote:

> Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I just
> wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of sense
> would know what I meant about the Line-in.
>
> CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
> hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally late
> last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the driver
> for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver says
> I have no sound card.

Again, just making sure but the line-in is normally muted unless you
un-mute it in the audio advanced properties. Did you un-mute it? I know
anytime there are problems of no sound one of the best places to check it
the advanced audio properties to make sure it wasn't clicked off or
selected or whatever.

Start with the little things (does it have power? is it plugged in?) was
always the way to go in my experiences so far with stuff that wasn't
working.

:-)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 2:42:29 PM

The line-in port is not outputting any sound? This is a joke right? Or are
you a nincompoop?

"DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem on
> this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
> Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
> my
> time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the phone
> is
> more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and find
> the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
> listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So I
> see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that
> isn'
> t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card, the
> Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few minutes
> sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on
> and
> says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you to
> the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
> warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!"
> He
> said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical
> support".
> Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons
> and
> after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If
> you
> would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."
>
> As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and
> the
> last Dell I buy!

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 4:18:04 PM

lol

"DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem on
> this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
> Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
> my
> time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the phone
> is
> more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and find
> the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
> listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So I
> see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that
> isn'
> t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card, the
> Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few minutes
> sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on
> and
> says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you to
> the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
> warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!"
> He
> said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical
> support".
> Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons
> and
> after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If
> you
> would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."
>
> As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and
> the
> last Dell I buy!

August 29, 2004 4:18:25 PM

yes, I un-mutted it, and selected it. And as far as the 'little things', I
agree. I always figure the first place to look for the problem is at the
beginning with the most obvious.

thanks for your constructive input.

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:42:12 -0400, DavidB wrote:
>
> > Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I
just
> > wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of
sense
> > would know what I meant about the Line-in.
> >
> > CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
> > hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally
late
> > last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the
driver
> > for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver
says
> > I have no sound card.
>
> Again, just making sure but the line-in is normally muted unless you
> un-mute it in the audio advanced properties. Did you un-mute it? I know
> anytime there are problems of no sound one of the best places to check it
> the advanced audio properties to make sure it wasn't clicked off or
> selected or whatever.
>
> Start with the little things (does it have power? is it plugged in?) was
> always the way to go in my experiences so far with stuff that wasn't
> working.
>
> :-)
>
> Dave
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 4:26:10 PM

What's the source that is plugged into Line In? That can make a huge
difference. I believe your sound card likely needs an amplified input. It
DEFINATELY won't like speaker or headphone levels, like from an MP3 player.

Also, the Creative drivers on their website require that the drivers that
came with the system be installed first. These would NOT install with the
OS. They would be on a separate silver CD. Which sound card is it?

The more specifics you can give us, the better we can help.

Tom
> yes, I un-mutted it, and selected it. And as far as the 'little things',
> agree. I always figure the first place to look for the problem is at the
> beginning with the most obvious.
>
> thanks for your constructive input.
>
> "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:42:12 -0400, DavidB wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I
> just
>> > wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of
> sense
>> > would know what I meant about the Line-in.
>> >
>> > CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
>> > hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally
> late
>> > last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the
> driver
>> > for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver
> says
>> > I have no sound card.
>>
>> Again, just making sure but the line-in is normally muted unless you
>> un-mute it in the audio advanced properties. Did you un-mute it? I know
>> anytime there are problems of no sound one of the best places to check it
>> the advanced audio properties to make sure it wasn't clicked off or
>> selected or whatever.
>>
>> Start with the little things (does it have power? is it plugged in?) was
>> always the way to go in my experiences so far with stuff that wasn't
>> working.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Dave
>> --
>> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
>> US Army Signal Corps!!
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>>
>> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 7:03:12 PM

DavidB wrote:

> Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I just
> wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of sense
> would know what I meant about the Line-in.
>
> CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
> hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally late
> last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the driver
> for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver says
> I have no sound card.

And the outcome (of your reinstall) was?

Notan
August 29, 2004 7:03:13 PM

Sorry. I reinstalled hardware and software last night but then got some
weird results. The installer program for the driver update that I
downloaded from Creative finally recognized that I had a sound card, but
then it said that all the supporting software for the card wasn't installed,
therefore it could not proceed with driver update. But I had just
reinstalled everything!

So, now I think I will just wipe the hard drive clean, reformat and
reinstall the entire system. Besides, I have yet, through Dell or
Microsoft, found a solution to the other major problem I have that no one
can log on to the computer unless they are an administator.

I seem to spend most of my time having to troubleshoot problems instead of
doing productive work. It's depressing.

> DavidB wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that is of course what I meant. I was so mad at the time that I
just
> > wanted to get to the gripe part figuring anyone with a little bit of
sense
> > would know what I meant about the Line-in.
> >
> > CD and other connections work and sound plays back OK, but nothing when
> > hooked up to Line in. And all cable connections are correct. Finally
late
> > last night I decided to just reinstall after I discovered that the
driver
> > for the card can't be updated because installer program for the driver
says
> > I have no sound card.
>
> And the outcome (of your reinstall) was?
>
> Notan
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 7:03:14 PM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:17:53 -0400, DavidB wrote:

[snip]

> So, now I think I will just wipe the hard drive clean, reformat and
> reinstall the entire system. Besides, I have yet, through Dell or
> Microsoft, found a solution to the other major problem I have that no one
> can log on to the computer unless they are an administator.

Just making sure, but did you create any non-administrator accounts?

> I seem to spend most of my time having to troubleshoot problems instead of
> doing productive work. It's depressing.

Hmmmm... this isn't your first computer... is it? ;-)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.
August 29, 2004 7:03:15 PM

After the last reinstall I created two 'User' accounts and one 'Power User'
account, and they worked fine for about a year. Then something happened
(still don't know what) that made the system unstable and kept getting the
'blue screen'. Then one day no one could sign on but the administrator.
Tried all sorts of things suggested and none worked.

Second question - no, this is about my 5th computer, but I guess I still get
frustrated by problems. :-(

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:17:53 -0400, DavidB wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > So, now I think I will just wipe the hard drive clean, reformat and
> > reinstall the entire system. Besides, I have yet, through Dell or
> > Microsoft, found a solution to the other major problem I have that no
one
> > can log on to the computer unless they are an administator.
>
> Just making sure, but did you create any non-administrator accounts?
>
> > I seem to spend most of my time having to troubleshoot problems instead
of
> > doing productive work. It's depressing.
>
> Hmmmm... this isn't your first computer... is it? ;-)
>
> Dave
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 7:23:58 PM

DavidB wrote:

> Sorry. I reinstalled hardware and software last night but then got some
> weird results. The installer program for the driver update that I
> downloaded from Creative finally recognized that I had a sound card, but
> then it said that all the supporting software for the card wasn't installed,
> therefore it could not proceed with driver update. But I had just
> reinstalled everything!
>
> So, now I think I will just wipe the hard drive clean, reformat and
> reinstall the entire system. Besides, I have yet, through Dell or
> Microsoft, found a solution to the other major problem I have that no one
> can log on to the computer unless they are an administator.
>
> I seem to spend most of my time having to troubleshoot problems instead of
> doing productive work. It's depressing.

Wiping the drive, installing a fresh OS, etc. is the first thing I do,
upon receiving a new system.

Pain in the ass, but worth it.

If you're going to do that, you might want to experiment, first, with
such things as installing all those programs/updates/whatever that you
were reluctant to install, for fear of corrupting your system.

Good luck!

Notan
August 29, 2004 7:23:59 PM

Some good suggestions. I'll give it a try. I should note though that this
is the THIRD time I will of had to reinstall Win2k because of some fault in
the system that I could not get a solution from tech support on and that I
could not figure out a solution for. I have had this computer a little over
2 years.

thanks again.
david

> DavidB wrote:
> >
> > Sorry. I reinstalled hardware and software last night but then got some
> > weird results. The installer program for the driver update that I
> > downloaded from Creative finally recognized that I had a sound card, but
> > then it said that all the supporting software for the card wasn't
installed,
> > therefore it could not proceed with driver update. But I had just
> > reinstalled everything!
> >
> > So, now I think I will just wipe the hard drive clean, reformat and
> > reinstall the entire system. Besides, I have yet, through Dell or
> > Microsoft, found a solution to the other major problem I have that no
one
> > can log on to the computer unless they are an administator.
> >
> > I seem to spend most of my time having to troubleshoot problems instead
of
> > doing productive work. It's depressing.
>
> Wiping the drive, installing a fresh OS, etc. is the first thing I do,
> upon receiving a new system.
>
> Pain in the ass, but worth it.
>
> If you're going to do that, you might want to experiment, first, with
> such things as installing all those programs/updates/whatever that you
> were reluctant to install, for fear of corrupting your system.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Notan
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 7:42:07 PM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:44:40 -0400, DavidB wrote:

> Some good suggestions. I'll give it a try. I should note though that this
> is the THIRD time I will of had to reinstall Win2k because of some fault in
> the system that I could not get a solution from tech support on and that I
> could not figure out a solution for. I have had this computer a little over
> 2 years.

Wow, three times in two years isn't bad at all.

Dave
Who goes about six months in between reinstalls, sometimes even more often.
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 12:08:45 AM

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> It is a shame this is what it comes down to is poor customer service and
> tech support.

<snip>

What it's come down to is the commoditization of the personal computer.
Almost no one complains on the front end about how inexpensive even
upper-tier systems have become.

We, the consumers, are now choosing (most of us, anyway) to risk paying on
the backside :)

Stew
August 30, 2004 2:09:44 AM

You gotta be kidding me. I thought that (3 times) was terrible, but it all
has been educational anyway.

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:44:40 -0400, DavidB wrote:
>
> > Some good suggestions. I'll give it a try. I should note though that
this
> > is the THIRD time I will of had to reinstall Win2k because of some fault
in
> > the system that I could not get a solution from tech support on and that
> > could not figure out a solution for. I have had this computer a little
over
> > 2 years.
>
> Wow, three times in two years isn't bad at all.
>
> Dave
> Who goes about six months in between reinstalls, sometimes even more
often.
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.
August 30, 2004 2:20:20 AM

> What's the source that is plugged into Line In? That can make a huge
> difference. I believe your sound card likely needs an amplified input. It
> DEFINATELY won't like speaker or headphone levels, like from an MP3
player.

Tom, I thought about hooking up the cassette player (which has no built-in
amplification that I know of) to an amplifier and then the output of the amp
to the Line-In, but in the creative directions it shows the player directly
hooked to Line-In. But I will give that a try.

> Also, the Creative drivers on their website require that the drivers that
> came with the system be installed first. These would NOT install with the
> OS. They would be on a separate silver CD. Which sound card is it?

I have the soundblaster live! value card and what I reinstalled last night
was the Creative software after having gone through the process of having
Windows recognize the hardware. So the drivers should have installed when
you install everything. I am wondering if this whole thing isn't related to
some overall problem with the Win OS itself. That is why I thought to do a
clean install of the whole system - perhaps tonight.

> The more specifics you can give us, the better we can help.
>
> Tom
> "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > yes, I un-mutted it, and selected it. And as far as the 'little
things',
> > agree. I always figure the first place to look for the problem is at
the
> > beginning with the most obvious.
> >
> > thanks for your constructive input.
> >
> > "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message

> > just
> > sense

Finally
> > late
> > driver
> > says
> >>
> >> Again, just making sure but the line-in is normally muted unless you
> >> un-mute it in the audio advanced properties. Did you un-mute it? I
know
> >> anytime there are problems of no sound one of the best places to check
it
> >> the advanced audio properties to make sure it wasn't clicked off or
> >> selected or whatever.
> >>
> >> Start with the little things (does it have power? is it plugged in?)
was
> >> always the way to go in my experiences so far with stuff that wasn't
> >> working.
> >>
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> Dave
> >> --
> >> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> >> US Army Signal Corps!!
> >>
> >> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
> >>
> >> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

August 30, 2004 2:24:36 AM

I think there is alot of truth in what you are saying, generally, but I did
not try to come out cheap on my 8200. It cost well above the minimum
system. And I didn't even list all of the problems I have had with this
computer. The assembly of this unit (loose, rattling parts) left much to be
desired.

news:p 5vYc.63878$0o5.45842@bignews1.bellsouth.net...

> "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > It is a shame this is what it comes down to is poor customer service and
> > tech support.
> >

> <snip>
>
> What it's come down to is the commoditization of the personal computer.
> Almost no one complains on the front end about how inexpensive even
> upper-tier systems have become.
>
> We, the consumers, are now choosing (most of us, anyway) to risk paying on
> the backside :)
>

> Stew

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 2:30:48 AM

David,

That particular card is likely an OEM version. Unfortunately, this was a
period when Dell installed "less than stellar" versions of Creative's cards.
I found that if I tried Creative's drivers, rather than Dell's, that the
sound card would either not function at all or would exhibit unusual
behavior. Before you go to the trouble of a full install, try downloading
the drivers from support.dell.com. Enter your system id and it will steer
you to the right drivers.

Tom

>> What's the source that is plugged into Line In? That can make a huge
>> difference. I believe your sound card likely needs an amplified input.
>> It
>> DEFINATELY won't like speaker or headphone levels, like from an MP3
> player.
>>
> Tom, I thought about hooking up the cassette player (which has no built-in
> amplification that I know of) to an amplifier and then the output of the
> amp
> to the Line-In, but in the creative directions it shows the player
> directly
> hooked to Line-In. But I will give that a try.
>>
>> Also, the Creative drivers on their website require that the drivers that
>> came with the system be installed first. These would NOT install with
>> the
>> OS. They would be on a separate silver CD. Which sound card is it?
>>
> I have the soundblaster live! value card and what I reinstalled last night
> was the Creative software after having gone through the process of having
> Windows recognize the hardware. So the drivers should have installed when
> you install everything. I am wondering if this whole thing isn't related
> some overall problem with the Win OS itself. That is why I thought to do
> clean install of the whole system - perhaps tonight.
>>
>> The more specifics you can give us, the better we can help.
>>
>> Tom
>> "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> > yes, I un-mutted it, and selected it. And as far as the 'little
> things',
>> > agree. I always figure the first place to look for the problem is at
> the
>> > beginning with the most obvious.
>> >
>> > thanks for your constructive input.
>> >
>> > "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message

>> > just
>> > sense

> when
> Finally
>> > late
>> > driver
> driver
>> > says

> know
> it

> was

August 30, 2004 3:22:46 AM

Thanks! I'll give that a try. It is indeed an OEM card, and seems that I
read somewhere else what you were saying Tom that the Line-In on some of
those would not work properly, which seems completely unacceptable to me to
sell merchandise that way.

I'll let you know the outcome.

> David,
>
> That particular card is likely an OEM version. Unfortunately, this was a
> period when Dell installed "less than stellar" versions of Creative's
cards.
> I found that if I tried Creative's drivers, rather than Dell's, that the
> sound card would either not function at all or would exhibit unusual
> behavior. Before you go to the trouble of a full install, try downloading
> the drivers from support.dell.com. Enter your system id and it will steer
> you to the right drivers.
>
> Tom
> "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >> What's the source that is plugged into Line In? That can make a huge
> >> difference. I believe your sound card likely needs an amplified input.
> >> It
> >> DEFINATELY won't like speaker or headphone levels, like from an MP3
> > player.
> >>
> > Tom, I thought about hooking up the cassette player (which has no
built-in
> > amplification that I know of) to an amplifier and then the output of the
> > amp
> > to the Line-In, but in the creative directions it shows the player
> > directly
> > hooked to Line-In. But I will give that a try.
> >>
> >> Also, the Creative drivers on their website require that the drivers
that
> >> came with the system be installed first. These would NOT install with
> >> the
> >> OS. They would be on a separate silver CD. Which sound card is it?
> >>
> > I have the soundblaster live! value card and what I reinstalled last
night
> > was the Creative software after having gone through the process of
having
> > Windows recognize the hardware. So the drivers should have installed
when
> > you install everything. I am wondering if this whole thing isn't
related
> > some overall problem with the Win OS itself. That is why I thought to
do
> > clean install of the whole system - perhaps tonight.
> >>
> >> The more specifics you can give us, the better we can help.
> >>
> >> Tom
> >> "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > things',
> > the

> > when
> > Finally
> > driver

> > know
> > it

> > was

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 3:07:48 PM

Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use is
"Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be heard as
"outputs".

"CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
> I thought the line in port was to pipe sound in and not to put sound out?
>

> "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem
> on
> > this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
> > Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
> my
> > time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the
phone
> is
> > more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and
find
> > the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
> > listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So
> > see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that
> isn'
> > t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card,
the
> > Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few
minutes
> > sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on
> and
> > says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you
> > the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
> > warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!"
> He
> > said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical
> support".
> > Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons
> and
> > after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If
> you
> > would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."
> >
> > As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and
> the
> > last Dell I buy!

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 3:13:44 PM

Sadly, it matters not, how much you spend for your computer. If you are a
"Home/Home Business" buyer, you get the same sorry service whether you spend
$400 or $3000.

"DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:D cwYc.64927$0o5.430@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> I think there is alot of truth in what you are saying, generally, but I
did
> not try to come out cheap on my 8200. It cost well above the minimum
> system. And I didn't even list all of the problems I have had with this
> computer. The assembly of this unit (loose, rattling parts) left much to
be
> desired.
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:p 5vYc.63878$0o5.45842@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> >
> > "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > It is a shame this is what it comes down to is poor customer service
and
> > > tech support.
> > >

> > <snip>
> >
> > What it's come down to is the commoditization of the personal computer.
> > Almost no one complains on the front end about how inexpensive even
> > upper-tier systems have become.
> >
> > We, the consumers, are now choosing (most of us, anyway) to risk paying
on
> > the backside :)
> >

> > Stew

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 3:17:59 PM

I wonder, just who the "nincompoop" is?

news:p qiYc.7148$0x7.3964@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...
> The line-in port is not outputting any sound? This is a joke right? Or
are
> you a nincompoop?
>
> "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >I spent over 2 ½ hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem
on
> > this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
> > Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
> > my
> > time I decided to call dell's magnificent support. The wait on the
phone
> > is
> > more than 20 minutes during which they try to get you to hang up and
find
> > the answer yourself on the web. Finally an Indian answers the phone and
> > listens to me describe the problem for about 5 minutes and then says "So
> > see you have no sound out of your sound card sir?" Well, hell no, that
> > isn'
> > t what I said AT ALL! I said that one particular 'part' of the card,
the
> > Line-In port, was not outputting any sound! He said, "Just a few
minutes
> > sir while I research this." After about 5 minutes more he comes back on
> > and
> > says, "Sir, this is an 'advanced' issue and I will have to transfer you
> > the fee based support." I say, "What?!" I paid for an extended 3 yr
> > warranty, and I have to pay additional for a solution to this problem?!"
> > He
> > said "yes sir, stand by while I transfer you to advanced technical
> > support".
> > Well, of course you know what happened next. He hit his little buttons
> > and
> > after about 2 more minutes I get the recording from the Bell System "If
> > you
> > would like to make a call, please hang up and try again."
> >
> > As far as I am concerned, it is the last time I call 'tech support' and
> > the
> > last Dell I buy!

August 30, 2004 6:57:35 PM

DavidB <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I spent over 2 hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem on
> this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
> Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of my
> time I decided to call dell's magnificent support.

Hey David -

Dell has web support forums that are very good. You can find quite
a few articles there that appear to address this exact issue with the
line-in jack.

The forums are located at: http://forums.us.dell.com

Here's a sample article about the 8200 line-in jack:
http://tinyurl.com/4ms86
Please check it out. This may be the exact issue.

.... Brian
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 6:57:36 PM

"Brian" <brian@nospam.edu> wrote in message
> DavidB <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> I spent over 2 hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem on
>> this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
>> Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
>> my
>> time I decided to call dell's magnificent support.
>
> Hey David -
>
> Dell has web support forums that are very good. You can find quite
> a few articles there that appear to address this exact issue with the
> line-in jack.
>
> The forums are located at: http://forums.us.dell.com
>
> Here's a sample article about the 8200 line-in jack:
> http://tinyurl.com/4ms86
> Please check it out. This may be the exact issue.
>
> ... Brian

Well, that's a fix for an INSPIRON 8200, not a DIMENSION 8200, but the
forums are a good suggestion.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 9:58:30 PM

> "Brian" <brian@nospam.edu> wrote in message
> > DavidB <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >> I spent over 2 hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem
on
> >> this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help
and
> >> Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore
of
> >> my
> >> time I decided to call dell's magnificent support.
> >
> > Hey David -
> >
> > Dell has web support forums that are very good. You can find quite
> > a few articles there that appear to address this exact issue with the
> > line-in jack.
> >
> > The forums are located at: http://forums.us.dell.com
> >
> > Here's a sample article about the 8200 line-in jack:
> > http://tinyurl.com/4ms86
> > Please check it out. This may be the exact issue.
> >
> > ... Brian
>
> Well, that's a fix for an INSPIRON 8200, not a DIMENSION 8200, but the
> forums are a good suggestion.

David, I had a problem with the same sound card and it turned out to be a
bad install of the Modem drivers. Go figure. HTH
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 10:13:42 PM

Irene wrote:

> Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use is
> "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be heard as
> "outputs".

"Obviously" isn't always so obvious.

One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
in.

It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
answer is "no."

Notan
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 10:13:43 PM

> Irene wrote:
>>
>> Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use is
>> "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be heard
>> as
>> "outputs".
>
> "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
>
> One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
> of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
> in.
>
> It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
> answer is "no."
>
> Notan

My favorite is a tech support call (perhaps an urban legend) where the
customer complained their machine wouldn't boot. When asked whether it was
plugged in, they responded that their candle wasn't bright enough to see --
the lights were out due to a power outage.
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 10:13:43 PM

Notan is absolutely right. Sometimes in our quest to be technical wizards we
overlook the most basic solutions. Like the time I could get sound from my
right speaker, but not from the left, no matter what I tried...until I
pushed the jack all the way in.
--
Ted Zieglar

> Irene wrote:
> >
> > Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use
is
> > "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be
heard as
> > "outputs".
>
> "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
>
> One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
> of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
> in.
>
> It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
> answer is "no."
>
> Notan
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:15:30 PM

> Irene wrote:
>>
>> Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use is
>> "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be heard
>> as
>> "outputs".
>
> "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
>
> One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
> of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
> in.
>
> It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
> answer is "no."
>
> Notan

Yup, and I'd run the dell diags on the card as well just to be sure....

Stew
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:28:22 PM

Notan wrote:

> Irene wrote:
> >
> > Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use is
> > "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be heard as
> > "outputs".
>
> "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
>
> One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
> of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
> in.
>
> It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
> answer is "no."
>
> Notan

Just to belabor the point, "Line In" and "Line Out" can be *very*
confusing to the hookup newbie... I'd imagine that's the reason
manufacturers are now color-coding plugs and jacks.

OK, I'm done. <g>

Notan
August 31, 2004 12:16:01 AM

Thanks Brian, I'll check it out. Just got home; going to work on all of it
tonight.

"Brian" <brian@nospam.edu> wrote in message
> DavidB <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > I spent over 2 hours myself trying to resolve an asinine sound problem
on
> > this supposedly 'splendid' Dimension 8200 and, of course, their Help and
> > Troubleshooting files are miserable. So not wanting to waste anymore of
my
> > time I decided to call dell's magnificent support.
>
> Hey David -
>
> Dell has web support forums that are very good. You can find quite
> a few articles there that appear to address this exact issue with the
> line-in jack.
>
> The forums are located at: http://forums.us.dell.com
>
> Here's a sample article about the 8200 line-in jack:
> http://tinyurl.com/4ms86
> Please check it out. This may be the exact issue.
>
> ... Brian
August 31, 2004 12:25:17 AM

I'll never forget the one in class one day when a brand new student went to
the teacher and said that the computer would not respond. The teacher
walked over to the unit and a dialog box was on screen asking the user if
they wanted to do some thing and the response options were yes/no. She told
the girl that you have to tell it yes, so press the Enter key (because 'yes'
had focus). The student looked at the screen intently and said in a loud
voice "Yes" and then pushed the Enter key. Fortunately no one made fun of
her though. I wish I had a dollar for all the dumb things I have done. I
could afford to custom build me the best damn computer in the world.

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Irene wrote:
> >>
> >> Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use
isl
> >> "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be
heard
> >> as
> >> "outputs".
> >
> > "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
> >
> > One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
> > of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
> > in.
> >
> > It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
> > answer is "no."
> >
> > Notan
>
> My favorite is a tech support call (perhaps an urban legend) where the
> customer complained their machine wouldn't boot. When asked whether it was
> plugged in, they responded that their candle wasn't bright enough to
see --
> the lights were out due to a power outage.

August 31, 2004 12:33:46 AM

> Yup, and I'd run the dell diags on the card as well just to be sure....
>

> Stew

Yeah, I did that Stew, and it only told me that I had no card (see previous
posts). Then after all the above I ran it again and it saw the card, but
said I had no software installed. What it didn't do, which was
disappointing, it didn't 'do' anything else but tell me that the stuff
wasn't there (but it was) and that IT was shutting down and couldn't do any
more. Now what good is that?
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 9:15:49 AM

I remember that call. I think it was Irene.

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> Irene wrote:
>>>
>>> Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use
>>> is
>>> "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be
>>> heard as
>>> "outputs".
>>
>> "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
>>
>> One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
>> of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
>> in.
>>
>> It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
>> answer is "no."
>>
>> Notan
>
> My favorite is a tech support call (perhaps an urban legend) where the
> customer complained their machine wouldn't boot. When asked whether it was
> plugged in, they responded that their candle wasn't bright enough to
> see -- the lights were out due to a power outage.

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:41:20 PM

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>

>> Yup, and I'd run the dell diags on the card as well just to be sure....
>>

>> Stew
>>
> Yeah, I did that Stew, and it only told me that I had no card (see
> previous
> posts). Then after all the above I ran it again and it saw the card, but
> said I had no software installed. What it didn't do, which was
> disappointing, it didn't 'do' anything else but tell me that the stuff
> wasn't there (but it was) and that IT was shutting down and couldn't do
> any
> more. Now what good is that?

David,

Sorry I missed your diags post. Well if the card was not seen, but now IS
seen suggests either intermittent card, PCI slot, or even PCI bus failure.

I was able to successfully identify a bad SBLive! card by getting it to fail
the internal loopback test when running the complete diags.

Again, forgive my lapse of not reading the entire thread, but are you to a
point of hardware replacement now?

Stew
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:58:13 PM

You are of course correct. But what has that got to do with the comment that
I was replying about? See below.

"CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
> I thought the line in port was to pipe sound in and not to put sound out?

> Irene wrote:
> >
> > Wake up. If the signal that goes in does not come back out, what use
is
> > "Line In"? Obviously, he meant that inputs via "Line In" cannot be
heard as
> > "outputs".
>
> "Obviously" isn't always so obvious.
>
> One of the first things to do, when asked to troubleshoot a multitude
> of electrical devices, is ask whether, or not, the device is plugged
> in.
>
> It sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised as to how many times the
> answer is "no."
>
> Notan
August 31, 2004 11:26:19 PM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:13:44 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Sadly, it matters not, how much you spend for your computer. If you are a
>"Home/Home Business" buyer, you get the same sorry service whether you spend
>$400 or $3000.

Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
Didn't get put on hold.

c ya
Frank
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 11:26:20 PM

And your point is?

Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the guy
that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".

"Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:13:44 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Sadly, it matters not, how much you spend for your computer. If you are
> >"Home/Home Business" buyer, you get the same sorry service whether you
spend
> >$400 or $3000.
>

> Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
> statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
> Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
> was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
> Didn't get put on hold.
>
> c ya
> Frank
August 31, 2004 11:54:35 PM

No, I got the sound card working, so I don't (at this point) see a need to
replace it, unless it goes intermittent as you mentioned. Some day maybe I
can afford an upgrade.

Thanks for your input.

> "DavidB" <padabe@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >>

> >> Yup, and I'd run the dell diags on the card as well just to be sure....
> >>

> >> Stew
> >>
> > Yeah, I did that Stew, and it only told me that I had no card (see
> > previous
> > posts). Then after all the above I ran it again and it saw the card, but
> > said I had no software installed. What it didn't do, which was
> > disappointing, it didn't 'do' anything else but tell me that the stuff
> > wasn't there (but it was) and that IT was shutting down and couldn't do
> > any
> > more. Now what good is that?
> >

> David,
>
> Sorry I missed your diags post. Well if the card was not seen, but now IS
> seen suggests either intermittent card, PCI slot, or even PCI bus failure.
>
> I was able to successfully identify a bad SBLive! card by getting it to
fail
> the internal loopback test when running the complete diags.
>
> Again, forgive my lapse of not reading the entire thread, but are you to a
> point of hardware replacement now?
>

> Stew

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 3:08:46 AM

Few have gotten worse than you.

Ted Zieglar

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> And your point is?
>
> Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the guy
> that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".
>
> "Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:13:44 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Sadly, it matters not, how much you spend for your computer. If you
are
> > >"Home/Home Business" buyer, you get the same sorry service whether you
> spend
> > >$400 or $3000.
> >

> > Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
> > statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
> > Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
> > was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
> > Didn't get put on hold.
> >
> > c ya
> > Frank

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 2:08:54 PM

Not sure what that means, other than the fact that you know very little
about the service that I have or have not received.

"Ted Zieglar aka Rocky" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 3bZc.53360$7y4.39483@roc.nntpserver.com...
> Few have gotten worse than you.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > And your point is?
> >
> > Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the
guy
> > that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".
> >
> > "Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> are
> > spend
> > >

> > > Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
> > > statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
> > > Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
> > > was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
> > > Didn't get put on hold.
> > >
> > > c ya
> > > Frank

September 1, 2004 3:22:26 PM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:02:01 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>And your point is?

The point being that priority support is included with their upper end
line (hence the reference "no hold, no IVR hell").

I assumed a $400 box wouldn't get that same level.

The support service techs I spoke with each time answered on the
second or third ring & were knowledgeable & helpful in quickly
resolving my issues.

I don't know what Dell's bottom end priced PC line of service is like,
since this is my first box from them. However, I purchased many
systems from another vendor for nine years & their tiered support
service differed drastically, depending on the system price\support
package.

>Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the guy
>that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".

It's been my experience that this has only been the case after jumping
though many hoops (IVR Hell), only to get transferred to a human
(who's line is busy, so you're told to call back later...) when
purchasing any vendor's bottom end line.

regards,
Frank

>"Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:13:44 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Sadly, it matters not, how much you spend for your computer. If you are
>> >"Home/Home Business" buyer, you get the same sorry service whether you
>spend
>> >$400 or $3000.
>>

>> Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
>> statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
>> Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
>> was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
>> Didn't get put on hold.
>>
>> c ya
>> Frank

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 3:22:27 PM

I just read through the support options for the Dimension desk tops and the
only difference that I could find was that Dell provides a separate support
group that are supposed to be better trained on the XPS. Express
Service(which is what you appear to be referring to) is an option on all
Dimensions, as far as I can determine.

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:02:01 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >And your point is?
>
> The point being that priority support is included with their upper end
> line (hence the reference "no hold, no IVR hell").
>
> I assumed a $400 box wouldn't get that same level.
>
> The support service techs I spoke with each time answered on the
> second or third ring & were knowledgeable & helpful in quickly
> resolving my issues.
>
> I don't know what Dell's bottom end priced PC line of service is like,
> since this is my first box from them. However, I purchased many
> systems from another vendor for nine years & their tiered support
> service differed drastically, depending on the system price\support
> package.
>

> >Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the
guy
> >that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".
>
> It's been my experience that this has only been the case after jumping
> though many hoops (IVR Hell), only to get transferred to a human
> (who's line is busy, so you're told to call back later...) when
> purchasing any vendor's bottom end line.
>
> regards,
> Frank
>

> >"Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >spend
> >>

> >> Hi Irene. I'm new here & new to Dell, but I wanted to respond to your
> >> statement. As a Home/Home Business buyer, I recently purchased an XPS
> >> Gen3 system (3.2k), & have called support 3 times. Each time the phone
> >> was answered by a human. Didn't have to go through any IVR hell.
> >> Didn't get put on hold.
> >>
> >> c ya
> >> Frank

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 3:22:28 PM

My apologies. The correct terminology is "Express Technical Support". And
that appears to be available for all Dimension desktop computers.

> I just read through the support options for the Dimension desk tops and
the
> only difference that I could find was that Dell provides a separate
support
> group that are supposed to be better trained on the XPS. Express
> Service(which is what you appear to be referring to) is an option on all
> Dimensions, as far as I can determine.
>
> "Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:02:01 -0700, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >And your point is?
> >
> > The point being that priority support is included with their upper end
> > line (hence the reference "no hold, no IVR hell").
> >
> > I assumed a $400 box wouldn't get that same level.
> >
> > The support service techs I spoke with each time answered on the
> > second or third ring & were knowledgeable & helpful in quickly
> > resolving my issues.
> >
> > I don't know what Dell's bottom end priced PC line of service is like,
> > since this is my first box from them. However, I purchased many
> > systems from another vendor for nine years & their tiered support
> > service differed drastically, depending on the system price\support
> > package.
> >

> > >Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the
> guy
> > >that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".
> >
> > It's been my experience that this has only been the case after jumping
> > though many hoops (IVR Hell), only to get transferred to a human
> > (who's line is busy, so you're told to call back later...) when
> > purchasing any vendor's bottom end line.
> >
> > regards,
> > Frank
> >

> > >"Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> are
> > >spend

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 6:42:20 PM

Given how much you complain in this newsgroup, I can't think of anyone who
knows very little about the service you have or have not received.
--

> Not sure what that means, other than the fact that you know very little
> about the service that I have or have not received.
>
> >g<
>
> "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 3bZc.53360$7y4.39483@roc.nntpserver.com...
> > Few have gotten worse than you.
> >
> > Ted Zieglar
> >
> > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > And your point is?
> > >
> > > Unless things have gotten even worse that I have experienced, even the
> guy
> > > that spend $400 gets his call answered by a "human".
> > >
> > > "Frank" <smokey_treats@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > are
> you
> > > spend

XPS

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:00:23 PM

SURE----SURE

So, besides being an XSpurt, .you read minds >g<

> Given how much you complain in this newsgroup, I can't think of anyone who
> knows very little about the service you have or have not received.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Not sure what that means, other than the fact that you know very little
> > about the service that I have or have not received.
> >
> > >g<
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar aka Rocky" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 3bZc.53360$7y4.39483@roc.nntpserver.com...
> > > Few have gotten worse than you.
> > >
> > > Ted Zieglar
> > >
> > > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > guy

<girlsrule@hotmail.com>

> you
> > > are
> > you

> your
> XPS
> phone

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:09:24 PM

BTW, since you are so positive that you know what problems that I have and
have not had, how about refreshing my memory?
If you fail to reply with a list of my problems, I shall be forced to assume
you are just another in this group, who is all talk.

!