What happened to the non-NAO round robin game?

What happened to the non-NAO round robin game, the one whose savefiles
were being passed around? I was in the Mines a couple weeks ago and am
curious about what's happened to Robin since.

-melinda

On Tue, 24 May 2005, M.O. wrote:

> What happened to the non-NAO round robin game, the one whose savefiles
> were being passed around? I was in the Mines a couple weeks ago and am
> curious about what's happened to Robin since.

As far as I know I was the last person to play. I sent the savefile to
Dave about a week and a half ago, and then emailed him again today asking
if he had played yet. If I don't hear back soon I am planning to send the
file to Everett, who is next on the waiting list (and then JPD is after
that).

Michael Lehotay wrote:
>> What happened to the non-NAO round robin game, the one whose savefiles
>> were being passed around? I was in the Mines a couple weeks ago and am
>> curious about what's happened to Robin since.
>
> As far as I know I was the last person to play. I sent the savefile to
> Dave about a week and a half ago, and then emailed him again today
> asking if he had played yet. If I don't hear back soon I am planning to
> send the file to Everett, who is next on the waiting list (and then JPD
> is after that).

I have it now, and am working on my 1,000. Will send it on to
JPD after I finish. So far, I've found a loadstone (kick-test,
marked the floor) and a level-port trap (now on DL1).

--
Everett E. Johnson
"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."

Everett E. Johnson wrote:
> Michael Lehotay wrote:
> >> What happened to the non-NAO round robin game, the one whose savefiles
> >> were being passed around? I was in the Mines a couple weeks ago and am
> >> curious about what's happened to Robin since.
> >
> > As far as I know I was the last person to play. I sent the savefile to
> > Dave about a week and a half ago, and then emailed him again today
> > asking if he had played yet. If I don't hear back soon I am planning to
> > send the file to Everett, who is next on the waiting list (and then JPD
> > is after that).
>
> I have it now, and am working on my 1,000. Will send it on to
> JPD after I finish. So far, I've found a loadstone (kick-test,
> marked the floor) and a level-port trap (now on DL1).
>
> --
> Everett E. Johnson
> "Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."

I guess the whole try and do your turn in a couple of days and then
pass it on has just gone right out the window then?

JPD wrote:
> "Everett E. Johnson" <joar@xmission.com> was moved to say:
>
> >I have it now, and am working on my 1,000. Will send it on to
> >JPD after I finish. So far, I've found a loadstone (kick-test,
> >marked the floor) and a level-port trap (now on DL1).
>
> Hopefully I won't be expelled from the Jedi Order - er, sorry, the
> Round Robin Order - but I managed to destroy most of the inventory
> that Robin had acquired so far. Perhaps the game will be more
> interesting for having this handicap?
>
> Those on the playing roster already have the extensive game notes.
> For the benefit of our viewrs at home, here is the tale:

<Sinpped many many pages of notes>
I'm all for keeping notes whilst playing nethack, but this is a joke,
come on... ate? sacrificed, nothing happened? BadCat not on this level?
Found a lockpick?

This is a joke! By having notes this detailed it just results in no-one
reading all of it!

And the one usefull bit, the summary at the start, isnt even accurate!
Last prayed turn 1000? I dont think so! Come on people, lets try and
make this a little more concise and not rattle on about unimportant
things!

Meanwhile, I was told weeks ago it should be my go in 2-4 turns...
whats happened since then? If someone cant play for a while let us
know!!

As for blowing everything up, as long as mojo is still intact its all
good, just an extra chalange, but seriously, considering how carefully
everyone (well, most of us :p) is playing, this character should ascend
pretty easily.

Thanks,

Marky Mark

"Everett E. Johnson" <joar@xmission.com> was moved to say:

>I have it now, and am working on my 1,000. Will send it on to
>JPD after I finish. So far, I've found a loadstone (kick-test,
>marked the floor) and a level-port trap (now on DL1).

Hopefully I won't be expelled from the Jedi Order - er, sorry, the
Round Robin Order - but I managed to destroy most of the inventory
that Robin had acquired so far. Perhaps the game will be more
interesting for having this handicap?

Those on the playing roster already have the extensive game notes.
For the benefit of our viewrs at home, here is the tale:

* Game Notes
*

Character
---------
human female Valkyrie

Intrinsics
----------
Stealth, Speed
Cold resist, Poison resist, sleep resitance
telepathy

genocided: mind flayers
Artifacts seen: Mjollnir (obtained by sacrificing).
last prayed: turn 1000?
Reread spells: not yet
pets: cat on same level but not in sight

Locations
---------
Stores: 2 (spell), Minetown
Vaults: 7
Founts: 5 (Oracle), 2, Minetown
Sinks:
Altar at 7
Temple at Minetown
Polymorph Trap at
Magic Trap at Mines5, Mines8
Counicorn at 7
Foocubus at

Stash: next to altar at dlvl7, without container, E-worded

Minetown stash along with both bags of holding destroyed by JPD's
mistake, sorry guys. Items lost included all the candles, all the
scrolls, all the potions, all the rings and all the wands. A setback,
not quite a disaster but I can just imagine your reactions.

* Dungeon Layout
*

Dungeon
-------
D2 mines entrance (D2-D4)
D5 oracle (D5-D9)
D6 sokoban entrance (1 below oracle)
D big room (D10-D12, 40% chance)
D quest portal (6 or 7 below oracle)
D rogue level (D15-D18)
D fort ludios portal (D11-medusa)
D medusa (1-4 above castle)
D castle (D25-D29)

Mines
-----
M6 minetown
M11 mines end

Gehennom - TBA

* Player logs
*

Dave (T:0-1000) Ending Stats
Str:17 Dx: 13 Con:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
Dlv:3 $:97 HP:25(25) Pw:5(5) AC:3 XP:2/38
Notes:
Dlv 2 - Spell shop

Mark (T:1001-2000) Ending Stats
Str:17 Dx: 13 Con:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
Dlv:5 $:339 HP:55(55) Pw:16(16) AC:3 XP:5/224 Hungry
Notes:
Dlv 2 - Entrance to mines (assumed, as not on Dlv 3)
Dlv 5 - Oracle
(Statues intact, return later to break statues and retrive spellbooks)
(Minor consultation received)
Other- Note, HUNGRY! Feed me!!!

Andy (T:2001-3000) Ending Stats
St:16 Dx:13 Co:19 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8 Lawful
Dlvl:3 $:347 HP:65(66) Pw:19(21) AC:3 Xp:6/530 T:3000 Hungry

Andy---
2001 - Ate.
2005 - engrave-tested the pine wand (on another writing in the dust);
no effects.
2006 - continued work on Sokoban.
2221 - Leveled up: lvl 6.
2686 - Enhanced long sword to skilled.
2883 - Pet-tested rings for cursedness, tried on uncursed rings. Found
+1 Constitution.
Coral, opal, and ruby all have no obvious effect when worn.
2951 - Gained poison resist by eating a killer bee, but was poisoned
in the process. -1 str.
2998 - Became hungry. Plenty of food though.
3000 - Stopped playing. Now on Sokoban 3; sokoban takes too long, so
whoever plays next should get
2000 turns instead of 1000. Otherwise you feel like you didn't get to do anything.

Chris---
3301 - Identified pine wand by zapping it at a door (sorry, I am like
that with the "no effect" wands.
3477 - killed a monkey --> leveled up: lvl 7 --> speed
4153 - aquired telepathie
4155 - killed a mold --> leveled up: lvl 8
4220 - identified wand of polymorph, digging and cold by engraving and
stuffed all unessecary stuff in BoH
4360 - Pet-tested rings for cursedness, tried on uncursed rings. Found
invisibility and regeneration (YEAHH!)
4391 - ate tin of spinach --> St: 18/01
4434 - found an altar - Used it to determine what was cursed
4758 - threw gems at coaligned unicorn
4817 - got Mjollnir as a sacrifice gift.
4968 - killed a group of Grey-elves --> stuff is in BoH (also
Mithril-armor) Ring of Regeneration still on finger --> WATCH OUT -
BURDENED

Manuel---
5023 - paper golem -> blank scrolls: 2 uncursed, 2 blessed.
5036 - B/U/C-checked all stuff. ?oGenocide is cursed, should I
nurse-dance?
-> better when more beefy.
New armor: Elven[mithril + cloak + helm]. AC:-1 (was 3)
Left rest of things next to altar on dlvl7, E-worded with /oDig
5100 - Gnome lord carried Smoky potion.
Found coaligned unicorn
5200 - Cleared vault: approx.1500$, total 3100$. 2 more zaps of /oDig
Going back up, heading for the Mines.
Found lost pet housecat, named it Batcat.
5300 - lined up statues at Oracle, to save zaps if a /oStriking is
used.
Not yet broken them.
5400 - Basic in Hammer
5700 - Shopping. Trained pet housecat for shoplifting. Named some
cheap
spellbooks after the price the shopkeeper offers you.
6000-6005 Made 5 extra moves, out of carelessness, sorry. I'm like
that
when I'm shopping.

Current state: shopping before entering the Mines. The extra stairs
down
still are to be found, on dlvl2. AC is decent, Mojo is killing without
effort. I haven't used the /oPoly, maybe it's a good idea to polypile
at
Minetown where there's a lot of loot, zapping the pet at the same time
as
the pile.

Manuel (T:5001-6005) Ending Stats:
St:18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
Dlvl:2 $:3400 HP:92(92) AC:-1 Xp:9/2627 T:6005

777---
6662 - Scored a pickaxe off a dwarf.
6847 - Found 4 candles and stuck them in the BoH

Current state: Begun the Mine grind. Scoured lvl3 and 4, ready to go
down
to 5 at the near by stairs. Don't forget to grab BatCat. Found an
uncursed
leash, but forgot to note the turn. Otherwise, nothing eventful, just
feast of gnome corpses.

777 (T:6005-7016) (I hate mouse support... while trying to copy my
ending
stats, I ended up moving to the bottom of the screen.) Ending Stats:
St:18/01 Dx:13 co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
Dlvl:4 $3406 HP:92(92) AC:-1 Xp:9/3239 T:7016

Melinda (T:7016-8065)
Mines Dlvl5 is dark. Found a magic trap. Pet-tested a pair of iron
shoes, which were uncursed, so I wore them.
7198- Found a lockpick.
7248- Found a harp.
7400ish - Found an expensive camera.
7515- "Found" a level teleport trap. Transported to MinesDlvl6, which
is Minetown. Went back upstairs, finished Dlvl5, got Batcat, and went
to Minetown. There is at least a hardware and a general store. (And
a lighting store, of course.)
8041- Altar is co-aligned.
Shoot, I lost track of turns.

Melinda Ending Stats:
St: 18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8 Lawful
Dlvl:6 $:0 HP:92(92) Pw:29(29) AC:-3 Xp:9/3778 T:8065 Burdened
(note: the burdening is because I picked up a set of elven mithril
that I was just going to carry downstairs to BUC. It's in the bag of
holding now.)

Jym- Happy shopping!

Lasse (T:8065-8997)
8133 - Batcat went on a shopping spree in the Lightning store, netting
two lamps and 8 candles. Good doggie!
8193 - Skilled in hammer
8314 - Batcat was a good doggie once again, this time emptying the
General store for some merchandise.
8580 - Batcat seems to have a problem with "his" and "mine" - which
resulted in a empty General store, another BoH, a camera and a few
other bits.
8709 - Altar B/U/C tested all unknown items, and tested the armor for
enchantment. Nothing that can better the AC as of now.
8807 - Shoptested some scrolls, found Blessed identify:) And Jackpot,
full identify.
8817 - Tried #pray to make holy water, but Tyr is displeased. No bad
stuff luckily.
8850 - Batcat happened to kill a dwarf, its corpse became offergift to
Tyr. Reconcilation...:)
8909 - #prayed again, this time Tyr was much more happy, resulting in
a few bottles of holy water, and a golden glow.
8913 - We now have a blessed BoH. (The unblessed one is empty) Note -
Still burdened but the blessed BoH got some junk to sell so.
8966 - Done selling some of the surplus armor, back at alter to see if
the remainding turns I got can cure blindness.
8998 - Ending my game, unblinded and unburdened.

Lasse ending stats;

Robin the Fighter St:18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
Dlvl:6 $:218 HP:97(97) Pw:29(29) AC:-3 Xp:9/4485 T:8998

Michael (T:8998-10000)
9001 - Dropped spare BoH by altar in minetown, put in heavy or useless
junk we
we carrying (spellbooks, armour, weapons, some gems).
9164 - Found and pet-tested some hiking boots on Mines7, put them on.
They are
+1. Not speed/lev/fumble, tested for jump/kick, so they must be wwalk.
9201 - Found a stethoscope on Mines8 (was on a magic trap, scary
moment
surrounded by c's. We need a lizard corpse.)
9285 - Fell through trap door on Mines8, leaving BatCat behind.
9318 - Killed a giant spider, became a Woman-at-Arms (XL10).
9360 - Reached Mines' End at Mines11. It's the wine cellar variant.
9378 - Found a horn of plenty.
9577 - Got the luckstone. Identified rubies, emeralds, and diamonds.
Found a
touchstone too, now we have 3! (Think I found the others too, not sure.)
9638 - Identifed and dropped 7 types of glass. Still need to ID red &
yellow.
9773 - Used up fountain in Mines' End, got nothing from it.
9820 - Ate a woodland elf and got sleep resitance.
9869 - Entered the wine cellar. Identified potions of booze and object
detection. Also yellow glass.
10000 - Finished my turn. Still at Mines' End.

Robin the Woman-at-arms St:18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
Lawful
Dlvl:11 $:0 HP:108(108) Pw:32(32) AC:-3 Xp:10/6478 T:10000

Everett (T:10001-11001)
10194 - Expert in hammer
10221 - Kick-tested Loadstone on ML9 between stairs, Engraved warning
10420 - reunited with BatCat
10444 - Level teleport trap -- to DL1
10739 - found magic marker
10916 - killed wraith -> XL11
11001 - in Minetown again, with loot in BoH to be B/U/C tested and
sold (BatCat on leash)

Robin the Woman-at-arms St:18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
Lawful
Dlvl:11 $:0 HP:114(114) Pw:36(36) AC:-3 Xp:11/10000 T:11001 Satiated
Burdened

JPD (T:11001-12037)
11003 - Entered the temple, unloaded and B/U/C testing begins
11018 - Released Batcat from the leash to go a-huntin'
11025 - blessed +3 dwarvish iron helm id'd, no other + armor in stash
11060 - wrote & blessed two ?-ench-armor; +1 mithril coat, +2
elv.cloak
11074 - dressed again, AC -10
11082 - accidentally lit up the 5 tallow candles, sorry
11087 - Worse accident. Put the blessed bag of holding inside the
uncursed. Magical explosion. All the !?+/*% lost; still have the
worn armor and Mjollnir and a blindfold and the luckstone. Still on
the altar are all the spare weapons and armor, two pickaxes and the
worthless glass. Don't know how to apologise for runing everybody's
work so far, but at least we're still alive, armed and armored.
11100 - fighting Uruk-Hais. Batcat has disappeared, no message "You
have a sad feeling" so I don't think he was killed.
11112 - sacrificed, four-leaf clover at feet
11200 - sacrificed again, same. Batcat located.
11203 - decision time. Not much I can do around here. Decided to
head back to the main dungeon to try and build up the kit again.
11240 - Red Naga fire attack burns the shield, AC now -9
11306 - all excess weapons and armor sold, now have enough to pay for
protection so here goes ... got a +3 bonus. AC -12
11363 - Batcat followed me to the upstairs. The leash was in the BOH.
11791 - lizard corpse acquired on Mines8
11808 - Batcat not on this level, possibly fell through a trapdoor
11878 - reunited on Mines9, turns wasted
12037 - reached the upstairs to leave Mines8 and tried to use mouse to
copy-paste the stats lines, but this made Robin run to the corner of
the map; hence I went over my turns walking back to the stairs.

Waiting on the upstairs, Batcat last spotted attacking a dwarf on same
level.

Robin the Woman-at-Arms St:18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8 Lawful
Dlvl:8 $:0 HP:114(114) Pw:36(36) AC:-12 Xp:11/11301 T:12037

- end -

SGFN

"Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> was moved to say:

>This is a joke! By having notes this detailed it just results in no-one
>reading all of it!

I disagree, somewhat. With me sending it back to Dave, the game will
now repeat a player for the first time. Much has happened.

Consider a game which you play by yourself. Some blocks of 1000 turns
are uneventful, and some contain much action. Either way, if you play
10 or 20 thousand turns in a single session you are fairly likely to
have all the significant events handy at the top of your memory.

Playing in rotation as we are, this is just not possible. Everyone
needs to know what the others have done and one's own style of playing
may be influenced by knowing the approach that the last player, or the
next player, will adopt.

Sometime soon, someone will have to edit the players' logs, for sure.
When we are below the castle, it will be immaterial how and where we
obtained a lockpick (incidentally, we no longer have a lockpick, but I
did pick up a new key near the end of my session). Perhaps Michael
can take on the task of editing.

>but seriously, considering how carefully
>everyone (well, most of us :p) is playing, this character should ascend
>pretty easily.

An assertion, but not a certainty. YASD's are still possible through
hubris.

--

Cheers

JPD