What happened to the non-NAO round robin game?

What happened to the non-NAO round robin game, the one whose savefiles
were being passed around? I was in the Mines a couple weeks ago and am
curious about what's happened to Robin since.

-melinda
6 answers Last reply
More about what happened round robin game

    On Tue, 24 May 2005, M.O. wrote:

    > What happened to the non-NAO round robin game, the one whose savefiles
    > were being passed around? I was in the Mines a couple weeks ago and am
    > curious about what's happened to Robin since.

    As far as I know I was the last person to play. I sent the savefile to
    Dave about a week and a half ago, and then emailed him again today asking
    if he had played yet. If I don't hear back soon I am planning to send the
    file to Everett, who is next on the waiting list (and then JPD is after
    that).

    Michael Lehotay wrote:
    >> What happened to the non-NAO round robin game, the one whose savefiles
    >> were being passed around? I was in the Mines a couple weeks ago and am
    >> curious about what's happened to Robin since.
    >
    > As far as I know I was the last person to play. I sent the savefile to
    > Dave about a week and a half ago, and then emailed him again today
    > asking if he had played yet. If I don't hear back soon I am planning to
    > send the file to Everett, who is next on the waiting list (and then JPD
    > is after that).

    I have it now, and am working on my 1,000. Will send it on to
    JPD after I finish. So far, I've found a loadstone (kick-test,
    marked the floor) and a level-port trap (now on DL1).

    --
    Everett E. Johnson
    "Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."

    Everett E. Johnson wrote:
    > Michael Lehotay wrote:
    > >> What happened to the non-NAO round robin game, the one whose savefiles
    > >> were being passed around? I was in the Mines a couple weeks ago and am
    > >> curious about what's happened to Robin since.
    > >
    > > As far as I know I was the last person to play. I sent the savefile to
    > > Dave about a week and a half ago, and then emailed him again today
    > > asking if he had played yet. If I don't hear back soon I am planning to
    > > send the file to Everett, who is next on the waiting list (and then JPD
    > > is after that).
    >
    > I have it now, and am working on my 1,000. Will send it on to
    > JPD after I finish. So far, I've found a loadstone (kick-test,
    > marked the floor) and a level-port trap (now on DL1).
    >
    > --
    > Everett E. Johnson
    > "Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."

    I guess the whole try and do your turn in a couple of days and then
    pass it on has just gone right out the window then?

    JPD wrote:
    > "Everett E. Johnson" <joar@xmission.com> was moved to say:
    >
    > >I have it now, and am working on my 1,000. Will send it on to
    > >JPD after I finish. So far, I've found a loadstone (kick-test,
    > >marked the floor) and a level-port trap (now on DL1).
    >
    > Hopefully I won't be expelled from the Jedi Order - er, sorry, the
    > Round Robin Order - but I managed to destroy most of the inventory
    > that Robin had acquired so far. Perhaps the game will be more
    > interesting for having this handicap?
    >
    > Those on the playing roster already have the extensive game notes.
    > For the benefit of our viewrs at home, here is the tale:

    <Sinpped many many pages of notes>
    I'm all for keeping notes whilst playing nethack, but this is a joke,
    come on... ate? sacrificed, nothing happened? BadCat not on this level?
    Found a lockpick?

    This is a joke! By having notes this detailed it just results in no-one
    reading all of it!

    And the one usefull bit, the summary at the start, isnt even accurate!
    Last prayed turn 1000? I dont think so! Come on people, lets try and
    make this a little more concise and not rattle on about unimportant
    things!

    Meanwhile, I was told weeks ago it should be my go in 2-4 turns...
    whats happened since then? If someone cant play for a while let us
    know!!

    As for blowing everything up, as long as mojo is still intact its all
    good, just an extra chalange, but seriously, considering how carefully
    everyone (well, most of us :P) is playing, this character should ascend
    pretty easily.

    Thanks,

    Marky Mark

    "Everett E. Johnson" <joar@xmission.com> was moved to say:

    >I have it now, and am working on my 1,000. Will send it on to
    >JPD after I finish. So far, I've found a loadstone (kick-test,
    >marked the floor) and a level-port trap (now on DL1).

    Hopefully I won't be expelled from the Jedi Order - er, sorry, the
    Round Robin Order - but I managed to destroy most of the inventory
    that Robin had acquired so far. Perhaps the game will be more
    interesting for having this handicap?

    Those on the playing roster already have the extensive game notes.
    For the benefit of our viewrs at home, here is the tale:

    * Game Notes
    *

    Character
    ---------
    human female Valkyrie

    Intrinsics
    ----------
    Stealth, Speed
    Cold resist, Poison resist, sleep resitance
    telepathy

    genocided: mind flayers
    Artifacts seen: Mjollnir (obtained by sacrificing).
    last prayed: turn 1000?
    Reread spells: not yet
    pets: cat on same level but not in sight

    Locations
    ---------
    Stores: 2 (spell), Minetown
    Vaults: 7
    Founts: 5 (Oracle), 2, Minetown
    Sinks:
    Altar at 7
    Temple at Minetown
    Polymorph Trap at
    Magic Trap at Mines5, Mines8
    Counicorn at 7
    Foocubus at

    Stash: next to altar at dlvl7, without container, E-worded

    Minetown stash along with both bags of holding destroyed by JPD's
    mistake, sorry guys. Items lost included all the candles, all the
    scrolls, all the potions, all the rings and all the wands. A setback,
    not quite a disaster but I can just imagine your reactions.

    * Dungeon Layout
    *

    Dungeon
    -------
    D2 mines entrance (D2-D4)
    D5 oracle (D5-D9)
    D6 sokoban entrance (1 below oracle)
    D big room (D10-D12, 40% chance)
    D quest portal (6 or 7 below oracle)
    D rogue level (D15-D18)
    D fort ludios portal (D11-medusa)
    D medusa (1-4 above castle)
    D castle (D25-D29)

    Mines
    -----
    M6 minetown
    M11 mines end

    Gehennom - TBA

    * Player logs
    *

    Dave (T:0-1000) Ending Stats
    Str:17 Dx: 13 Con:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
    Dlv:3 $:97 HP:25(25) Pw:5(5) AC:3 XP:2/38
    Notes:
    Dlv 2 - Spell shop

    Mark (T:1001-2000) Ending Stats
    Str:17 Dx: 13 Con:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
    Dlv:5 $:339 HP:55(55) Pw:16(16) AC:3 XP:5/224 Hungry
    Notes:
    Dlv 2 - Entrance to mines (assumed, as not on Dlv 3)
    Dlv 5 - Oracle
    (Statues intact, return later to break statues and retrive spellbooks)
    (Minor consultation received)
    Other- Note, HUNGRY! Feed me!!!

    Andy (T:2001-3000) Ending Stats
    St:16 Dx:13 Co:19 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8 Lawful
    Dlvl:3 $:347 HP:65(66) Pw:19(21) AC:3 Xp:6/530 T:3000 Hungry

    Andy---
    2001 - Ate.
    2005 - engrave-tested the pine wand (on another writing in the dust);
    no effects.
    2006 - continued work on Sokoban.
    2221 - Leveled up: lvl 6.
    2686 - Enhanced long sword to skilled.
    2883 - Pet-tested rings for cursedness, tried on uncursed rings. Found
    +1 Constitution.
    Coral, opal, and ruby all have no obvious effect when worn.
    2951 - Gained poison resist by eating a killer bee, but was poisoned
    in the process. -1 str.
    2998 - Became hungry. Plenty of food though.
    3000 - Stopped playing. Now on Sokoban 3; sokoban takes too long, so
    whoever plays next should get
    2000 turns instead of 1000. Otherwise you feel like you didn't get to do anything.

    Chris---
    3301 - Identified pine wand by zapping it at a door (sorry, I am like
    that with the "no effect" wands.
    3477 - killed a monkey --> leveled up: lvl 7 --> speed
    4153 - aquired telepathie
    4155 - killed a mold --> leveled up: lvl 8
    4220 - identified wand of polymorph, digging and cold by engraving and
    stuffed all unessecary stuff in BoH
    4360 - Pet-tested rings for cursedness, tried on uncursed rings. Found
    invisibility and regeneration (YEAHH!)
    4391 - ate tin of spinach --> St: 18/01
    4434 - found an altar - Used it to determine what was cursed
    4758 - threw gems at coaligned unicorn
    4817 - got Mjollnir as a sacrifice gift.
    4968 - killed a group of Grey-elves --> stuff is in BoH (also
    Mithril-armor) Ring of Regeneration still on finger --> WATCH OUT -
    BURDENED

    Manuel---
    5023 - paper golem -> blank scrolls: 2 uncursed, 2 blessed.
    5036 - B/U/C-checked all stuff. ?oGenocide is cursed, should I
    nurse-dance?
    -> better when more beefy.
    New armor: Elven[mithril + cloak + helm]. AC:-1 (was 3)
    Left rest of things next to altar on dlvl7, E-worded with /oDig
    5100 - Gnome lord carried Smoky potion.
    Found coaligned unicorn
    5200 - Cleared vault: approx.1500$, total 3100$. 2 more zaps of /oDig
    Going back up, heading for the Mines.
    Found lost pet housecat, named it Batcat.
    5300 - lined up statues at Oracle, to save zaps if a /oStriking is
    used.
    Not yet broken them.
    5400 - Basic in Hammer
    5700 - Shopping. Trained pet housecat for shoplifting. Named some
    cheap
    spellbooks after the price the shopkeeper offers you.
    6000-6005 Made 5 extra moves, out of carelessness, sorry. I'm like
    that
    when I'm shopping.

    Current state: shopping before entering the Mines. The extra stairs
    down
    still are to be found, on dlvl2. AC is decent, Mojo is killing without
    effort. I haven't used the /oPoly, maybe it's a good idea to polypile
    at
    Minetown where there's a lot of loot, zapping the pet at the same time
    as
    the pile.

    Manuel (T:5001-6005) Ending Stats:
    St:18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
    Dlvl:2 $:3400 HP:92(92) AC:-1 Xp:9/2627 T:6005

    777---
    6662 - Scored a pickaxe off a dwarf.
    6847 - Found 4 candles and stuck them in the BoH

    Current state: Begun the Mine grind. Scoured lvl3 and 4, ready to go
    down
    to 5 at the near by stairs. Don't forget to grab BatCat. Found an
    uncursed
    leash, but forgot to note the turn. Otherwise, nothing eventful, just
    feast of gnome corpses.

    777 (T:6005-7016) (I hate mouse support... while trying to copy my
    ending
    stats, I ended up moving to the bottom of the screen.) Ending Stats:
    St:18/01 Dx:13 co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
    Dlvl:4 $3406 HP:92(92) AC:-1 Xp:9/3239 T:7016

    Melinda (T:7016-8065)
    Mines Dlvl5 is dark. Found a magic trap. Pet-tested a pair of iron
    shoes, which were uncursed, so I wore them.
    7198- Found a lockpick.
    7248- Found a harp.
    7400ish - Found an expensive camera.
    7515- "Found" a level teleport trap. Transported to MinesDlvl6, which
    is Minetown. Went back upstairs, finished Dlvl5, got Batcat, and went
    to Minetown. There is at least a hardware and a general store. (And
    a lighting store, of course.)
    8041- Altar is co-aligned.
    Shoot, I lost track of turns.

    Melinda Ending Stats:
    St: 18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8 Lawful
    Dlvl:6 $:0 HP:92(92) Pw:29(29) AC:-3 Xp:9/3778 T:8065 Burdened
    (note: the burdening is because I picked up a set of elven mithril
    that I was just going to carry downstairs to BUC. It's in the bag of
    holding now.)

    Jym- Happy shopping!

    Lasse (T:8065-8997)
    8133 - Batcat went on a shopping spree in the Lightning store, netting
    two lamps and 8 candles. Good doggie!
    8193 - Skilled in hammer
    8314 - Batcat was a good doggie once again, this time emptying the
    General store for some merchandise.
    8580 - Batcat seems to have a problem with "his" and "mine" - which
    resulted in a empty General store, another BoH, a camera and a few
    other bits.
    8709 - Altar B/U/C tested all unknown items, and tested the armor for
    enchantment. Nothing that can better the AC as of now.
    8807 - Shoptested some scrolls, found Blessed identify:) And Jackpot,
    full identify.
    8817 - Tried #pray to make holy water, but Tyr is displeased. No bad
    stuff luckily.
    8850 - Batcat happened to kill a dwarf, its corpse became offergift to
    Tyr. Reconcilation...:)
    8909 - #prayed again, this time Tyr was much more happy, resulting in
    a few bottles of holy water, and a golden glow.
    8913 - We now have a blessed BoH. (The unblessed one is empty) Note -
    Still burdened but the blessed BoH got some junk to sell so.
    8966 - Done selling some of the surplus armor, back at alter to see if
    the remainding turns I got can cure blindness.
    8998 - Ending my game, unblinded and unburdened.

    Lasse ending stats;

    Robin the Fighter St:18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
    Dlvl:6 $:218 HP:97(97) Pw:29(29) AC:-3 Xp:9/4485 T:8998

    Michael (T:8998-10000)
    9001 - Dropped spare BoH by altar in minetown, put in heavy or useless
    junk we
    we carrying (spellbooks, armour, weapons, some gems).
    9164 - Found and pet-tested some hiking boots on Mines7, put them on.
    They are
    +1. Not speed/lev/fumble, tested for jump/kick, so they must be wwalk.
    9201 - Found a stethoscope on Mines8 (was on a magic trap, scary
    moment
    surrounded by c's. We need a lizard corpse.)
    9285 - Fell through trap door on Mines8, leaving BatCat behind.
    9318 - Killed a giant spider, became a Woman-at-Arms (XL10).
    9360 - Reached Mines' End at Mines11. It's the wine cellar variant.
    9378 - Found a horn of plenty.
    9577 - Got the luckstone. Identified rubies, emeralds, and diamonds.
    Found a
    touchstone too, now we have 3! (Think I found the others too, not sure.)
    9638 - Identifed and dropped 7 types of glass. Still need to ID red &
    yellow.
    9773 - Used up fountain in Mines' End, got nothing from it.
    9820 - Ate a woodland elf and got sleep resitance.
    9869 - Entered the wine cellar. Identified potions of booze and object
    detection. Also yellow glass.
    10000 - Finished my turn. Still at Mines' End.

    Robin the Woman-at-arms St:18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
    Lawful
    Dlvl:11 $:0 HP:108(108) Pw:32(32) AC:-3 Xp:10/6478 T:10000

    Everett (T:10001-11001)
    10194 - Expert in hammer
    10221 - Kick-tested Loadstone on ML9 between stairs, Engraved warning
    10420 - reunited with BatCat
    10444 - Level teleport trap -- to DL1
    10739 - found magic marker
    10916 - killed wraith -> XL11
    11001 - in Minetown again, with loot in BoH to be B/U/C tested and
    sold (BatCat on leash)

    Robin the Woman-at-arms St:18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8
    Lawful
    Dlvl:11 $:0 HP:114(114) Pw:36(36) AC:-3 Xp:11/10000 T:11001 Satiated
    Burdened

    JPD (T:11001-12037)
    11003 - Entered the temple, unloaded and B/U/C testing begins
    11018 - Released Batcat from the leash to go a-huntin'
    11025 - blessed +3 dwarvish iron helm id'd, no other + armor in stash
    11060 - wrote & blessed two ?-ench-armor; +1 mithril coat, +2
    elv.cloak
    11074 - dressed again, AC -10
    11082 - accidentally lit up the 5 tallow candles, sorry
    11087 - Worse accident. Put the blessed bag of holding inside the
    uncursed. Magical explosion. All the !?+/*% lost; still have the
    worn armor and Mjollnir and a blindfold and the luckstone. Still on
    the altar are all the spare weapons and armor, two pickaxes and the
    worthless glass. Don't know how to apologise for runing everybody's
    work so far, but at least we're still alive, armed and armored.
    11100 - fighting Uruk-Hais. Batcat has disappeared, no message "You
    have a sad feeling" so I don't think he was killed.
    11112 - sacrificed, four-leaf clover at feet
    11200 - sacrificed again, same. Batcat located.
    11203 - decision time. Not much I can do around here. Decided to
    head back to the main dungeon to try and build up the kit again.
    11240 - Red Naga fire attack burns the shield, AC now -9
    11306 - all excess weapons and armor sold, now have enough to pay for
    protection so here goes ... got a +3 bonus. AC -12
    11363 - Batcat followed me to the upstairs. The leash was in the BOH.
    11791 - lizard corpse acquired on Mines8
    11808 - Batcat not on this level, possibly fell through a trapdoor
    11878 - reunited on Mines9, turns wasted
    12037 - reached the upstairs to leave Mines8 and tried to use mouse to
    copy-paste the stats lines, but this made Robin run to the corner of
    the map; hence I went over my turns walking back to the stairs.

    Waiting on the upstairs, Batcat last spotted attacking a dwarf on same
    level.

    Robin the Woman-at-Arms St:18/01 Dx:13 Co:18 In:8 Wi:11 Ch:8 Lawful
    Dlvl:8 $:0 HP:114(114) Pw:36(36) AC:-12 Xp:11/11301 T:12037

    - end -

    SGFN
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> was moved to say:

    >This is a joke! By having notes this detailed it just results in no-one
    >reading all of it!

    I disagree, somewhat. With me sending it back to Dave, the game will
    now repeat a player for the first time. Much has happened.

    Consider a game which you play by yourself. Some blocks of 1000 turns
    are uneventful, and some contain much action. Either way, if you play
    10 or 20 thousand turns in a single session you are fairly likely to
    have all the significant events handy at the top of your memory.

    Playing in rotation as we are, this is just not possible. Everyone
    needs to know what the others have done and one's own style of playing
    may be influenced by knowing the approach that the last player, or the
    next player, will adopt.

    Sometime soon, someone will have to edit the players' logs, for sure.
    When we are below the castle, it will be immaterial how and where we
    obtained a lockpick (incidentally, we no longer have a lockpick, but I
    did pick up a new key near the end of my session). Perhaps Michael
    can take on the task of editing.

    >but seriously, considering how carefully
    >everyone (well, most of us :P) is playing, this character should ascend
    >pretty easily.

    An assertion, but not a certainty. YASD's are still possible through
    hubris.

    --

    Cheers

    JPD