60hz vs 120hz

z_man22

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
so I plan on playing games like planetside 2, battlefield 3, WOW, diablo etc.

I will be using a Nvidia Geforce 660 ti, 8 gb ram, asus p8z77 mobo.

do you think I will be getting more than 60 frames per second with these components? Im debating whether to just get a nice 23" asus monitor at 60 hz or get a 120hz monitor for like ~$350.

Could someone help interpret which route I should go?

i'm not sure about what maximum fps you can get with those games but my older card (gtx470) runs over 60fps for games like wow just fine. in fact the fps limiter kicks in at 59/60 since i use a 60hz monitor.

i would search for a chart on fps results for your video card and processor. toms may even have one?

remember: if you are not much over 60fps now, any future games will strain your hardware even more resulting in either you lowering settings or upgrading your system.

its up to you to decide just how important 120hz is over 60hz for you. not everyone notices a big difference. once you decide, check your hardware to see if it complies.

Your CPU, especially if you OC, is fully capable. A single 660ti will not allow you to max out games with high AA and get 80+ FPS in many games, but older ones will allow it. Rather than playing at ultra, you play at high in some games.

It may be worth it to you to do so, if responsiveness and fluidity are highly important to you. I personally find it is quite important, but not everyone does.