firefox and Elbereth

I wanted to engrave with my fingers but I was distracted, so instead of
writing in the dust I wrote in the address bar of the firefox window,
so that it pointed to "E-Elbereth".
Then I hit return.
Do you folks know what happened, or am I the only one who didn't knew?

davidùn wrote:
> I wanted to engrave with my fingers but I was distracted,
> so instead of writing in the dust I wrote in the address
> bar of the firefox window, so that it pointed to "E-Elbereth".
> Then I hit return.
> Do you folks know what happened, or am I the only one who
> didn't knew?

I use IE, but Firefox may have a keyboard shortcut to get to
the address bar. You may have accidentally "fat fingered" that
shorcut prior to engraving and lost connection to the server.

Are you dial-up or cable/DSL?

davidùn wrote:
> I wanted to engrave with my fingers but I was distracted, so instead of
> writing in the dust I wrote in the address bar of the firefox window,
> so that it pointed to "E-Elbereth".
> Then I hit return.
> Do you folks know what happened, or am I the only one who didn't knew?

Heh, that's pretty cool! Raisse should be made aware of this...
Definitely smells like an Easter egg to me. Who wants to be the first
to spoil it for the non-Firefox crowd?

-Ken

RecRanger wrote:
> davidùn wrote:
>
>>I wanted to engrave with my fingers but I was distracted,
>>so instead of writing in the dust I wrote in the address
>>bar of the firefox window, so that it pointed to "E-Elbereth".
>>Then I hit return.
>>Do you folks know what happened, or am I the only one who
>>didn't knew?
>

> I use IE, but Firefox may have a keyboard shortcut to get to
> the address bar. You may have accidentally "fat fingered" that
> shorcut prior to engraving and lost connection to the server.
>
> Are you dial-up or cable/DSL?
>
> --

A hint for you: the OP received an unexpected but very apropos web page
as a result.

-Ken

In article <119bp9tr7v1t625@corp.supernews.com>,
Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>davidùn wrote:
>> I wanted to engrave with my fingers but I was distracted, so instead of
>> writing in the dust I wrote in the address bar of the firefox window,
>> so that it pointed to "E-Elbereth".
>> Then I hit return.
>> Do you folks know what happened, or am I the only one who didn't knew?
>>
>Heh, that's pretty cool! Raisse should be made aware of this...
>Definitely smells like an Easter egg to me.

Not really.

At least on the default (Win32) Firefox setup, if it receives an unknown
domain name (eg "e-elbereth"), it just does a Google I'm Feeling Lucky
for that string.

Cheers,

Phil

--
Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org>
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/

Philip Kendall wrote:
> In article <119bp9tr7v1t625@corp.supernews.com>,
> Ken Cuvelier <kvcflameNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>davidùn wrote:
>>
>>>I wanted to engrave with my fingers but I was distracted, so instead of
>>>writing in the dust I wrote in the address bar of the firefox window,
>>>so that it pointed to "E-Elbereth".
>>>Then I hit return.
>>>Do you folks know what happened, or am I the only one who didn't knew?
>>>

>>Heh, that's pretty cool! Raisse should be made aware of this...
>>Definitely smells like an Easter egg to me.
>

> Not really.
>
> At least on the default (Win32) Firefox setup, if it receives an unknown
> domain name (eg "e-elbereth"), it just does a Google I'm Feeling Lucky
> for that string.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil

Well, it's not limited to Win32, or else it's limited to Win32 and
GNU/Linux ;) On further reflection, it's a little surprising what that
particular Google search hits. Thanks for demystifying ;-)

-Ken

davidùn wrote:

> I wanted to engrave with my fingers but I was distracted, so instead of
> writing in the dust I wrote in the address bar of the firefox window,
> so that it pointed to "E-Elbereth".
> Then I hit return.
> Do you folks know what happened, or am I the only one who didn't knew?

I didn't know, so I tried it. Nice!

Sidsel

In news:<1117114428.577947.172070@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, davidùn
<davide.saccon@gmail.com> says...
> I wanted to engrave with my fingers but I was distracted, so instead of
> writing in the dust I wrote in the address bar of the firefox window,
> so that it pointed to "E-Elbereth".
> Then I hit return.
> Do you folks know what happened, or am I the only one who didn't knew?

Not so surprising really, is it?

Unless you weren't aware that typing something which is not a valid
address in Firefox's address bar (if set up the default way) makes a
Google "I'm feeling lucky" search for the type phrase. Which of course
is the same thing as searching for "E-Elbereth" in Google, and then
going to the first page in the results. (<http://www.google.com/search?
q=e-elbereth>)

Try typing 'davide saccon' etc to see what happens.

Or is there some subtle thing here that I am missing?

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Gurl fnl gung Iynq yvirf!!! ... va gur znmrf.