YANI: flint stones

Okay, this probably isn't a new idea; I have trouble imagining that no
one has ever suggested this on RGRN before. But when you rub a flint
stone with a metal weapon, why does it not give off sparks?

I can understand that it wouldn't spark if you didn't "rub" hard
enough, but reasonably speaking, it should be possible to ID a flint
stone in this way. Otherwise why is it a flint stone at all? I'm no
geologist, but it could just as easily be called "granite stone"
instead.

Thinking about this as a YANI, you could have granite stones that are
exactly as flint stones are in the current version. Then flint stones
would be the same except slightly more expensive, and rubbing them with
a metal, edged weapon would produce sparks. This would be used to
light potions of oil, oil lamps, and magic lamps (or maybe magic lamps
would light on their own), while brass lanterns are assumed to have a
built-in mechanism that lights them. Tourists could have a 50% chance
of a matchbook ((0:12), cannot be charged) in their initial inventory.

This would have other uses, too. I KNOW I'm not the only person who
has fought through the Quest level or the Castle without a bag of
holding, and been forced to burden myself with a thousand scrolls of
create monster. After all, if I drop them, some enemy will read them,
and they'll turn out to be cursed and I'll be surrounded by dragons or
something. Oh look, I have a flint stone and an edged weapon. I'll
just burn the scrolls! The sparks wouldn't be able to make potions
explode or burn wooden objects, but perhaps a scroll or spellbook would
burn over the course of a couple turns, and those could be used to
explode potions or burn wooden objects (not that that would really be a
useful thing to do)

Cavemen would exercise wisdom by rubbing a flint stone with a weapon
for the first time: "You discovered fire!" (Hey, maybe they should be
able to kick or throw a dwarvish roundshield across the room and
discover the wheel as well...). All non-chaotic characters would take
an alignment hit and abuse wisdom for burning a book (similar to the
Archaelogist penalty for destroying historic statues).

Finally, it should be possible to #dip a quarterstaff or club in a
potion of oil, light it on fire, and beat enemies with it. Because
that's just plain cool. For consistency with Tolkien, this could scare
Nazgul; unfortunately I can't think of any places in the game where it
would really be useful. I'd still do it though; every time I killed a
wood golem and picked up six quarterstaffs, it would be show time.

rmcneive@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> Okay, this probably isn't a new idea; I have trouble imagining that no
> one has ever suggested this on RGRN before. But when you rub a flint
> stone with a metal weapon, why does it not give off sparks?

Small fires aren't part of the game, only big ones. It's
a good point, though.

> I can understand that it wouldn't spark if you didn't "rub" hard
> enough, but reasonably speaking, it should be possible to ID a flint
> stone in this way.

I like it.

> Otherwise why is it a flint stone at all?

Planning ahead for new features. A caveman would get "Yaba
Daba Do!" as a message when using one. Or a caveman could
convert it to a weapon using a tin opener.

Basically, I think the DevTeam picked flint as a type of stone
that does more damage when thrown to be able to tell it from
any other type or "rock". Flint has sharp edges in its natural
form, unlike granite.

seraphim

rmcneive@andrew.cmu.edu wrote in

> [Flint + steel = spark]
> This would be used to light potions of oil, oil lamps, and magic
> lamps (or maybe magic lamps would light on their own), while brass
> lanterns are assumed to have a built-in mechanism that lights them.

Brass Lanterns are electric, so a spark is almost certenly not going
to do them much good.

> This would have other uses, too. I KNOW I'm not the only person who
> has fought through the Quest level or the Castle without a bag of
> holding, and been forced to burden myself with a thousand scrolls of
> create monster. After all, if I drop them, some enemy will read
> them, and they'll turn out to be cursed and I'll be surrounded by
> dragons or something.

I'm not sure why exactly you have a problem.
Why not just stick those scrolls in a chest? Or cancel them? Or drop
them next to a stairway before you go to the next level, and then pick
them back up on the way up.

> All non-chaotic characters would take an alignment hit and abuse
> wisdom for burning a book (similar to the Archaelogist penalty for
> destroying historic statues).

The penalty to lawfuls doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Generally it is groups that want as much control as possible that
favor burning books. This would seem to me to fit the definition of
lawful behavior more then chaotic behavior.

Seraphim wrote:

> I'm not sure why exactly you have a problem [with extra scrolls of create monster]
> Why not just stick those scrolls in a chest? Or cancel them? Or drop
> them next to a stairway before you go to the next level, and then pick
> them back up on the way up.

I guess it's because I tend to walk the fine line between unburdened
and burdened, never dropping anything unless I have to, and also
because I'm too lazy to make really good, regular stashes. I'll be
fighting my way through the Castle, and a soldier zaps a wand of create
monster. So I kill him, and now I have to pick it up so no one else
can get it, or I'll be knee-deep in dragons or something. Two wands
and four scrolls of create monster later, I'm burdened, and I'm still
in the middle of a fight. I guess I could leave mid-battle and hike up
to a chest two levels up, but it's kind of annoying. By this point, I
presumably have all the artifact weapons I need, so no point keeping
the equipment around.

Anyway, this is kind of off-topic, but that's the situation I'm talking
about.

> The penalty to lawfuls doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
> Generally it is groups that want as much control as possible that
> favor burning books. This would seem to me to fit the definition of
> lawful behavior more then chaotic behavior.

>From the little I know about AD&D, a character would normally be "Good"
or "Evil," independently of their Law/Neu/Cha classification. With
that system, the book-burning penalty might apply to everyone except
"Good Chaotic," "Evil Lawful" and "Evil Neutral" characters, or
something. In Nethack that's dropped, and "Chaotic" seems to imply
"evil" for all practical purposes. That's what I'm going off of.

Of course your viewpoint makes sense too. To avoid such confusion,
maybe the penalty would instead apply only to Archaeologists, Monks,
Wizards, and Priests (let's avoid a religious debate!)

The Lawful-Chaotic only COULD be left from an early version of D&D as
the initail versions did not have the Good-evil axis yet. However the
guildbook refrences AD&D as being the source of much of the game, and
it did have both alinment axis...*shrug*

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> rmcneive@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:
>
>>Okay, this probably isn't a new idea; I have trouble imagining that no
>>one has ever suggested this on RGRN before. But when you rub a flint
>>stone with a metal weapon, why does it not give off sparks?
>

> Small fires aren't part of the game, only big ones. It's
> a good point, though.

YANI: cursed flint stone + metal weapon = hostile fire elemental

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Shadow
\____/