Dell MP3 Players

Time to get the teenaged daughter an MP3 player, and I see it as a choice
between the Dell and the iPod. Don't know much about formats and the like, but
it sounds like the Dell has more versatility and compatibility. Advice from
those of you with knowledge in this area, PLEASE. Thanks in advance.
9 answers Last reply
More about dell players

    On 29 Aug 2004 11:23:33 GMT, RobertS975 wrote:

    > Time to get the teenaged daughter an MP3 player, and I see it as a choice
    > between the Dell and the iPod. Don't know much about formats and the like, but
    > it sounds like the Dell has more versatility and compatibility. Advice from
    > those of you with knowledge in this area, PLEASE. Thanks in advance.

    My Nomad Zen Xtra 40GB has worked great for almost a year now.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    I cannot speak about the Dell MP3 player, as I have not used one and have
    never seen one. A Google search should reveal reviews and user opinions.

    However, both myself and my teenage son have the iPod, and we both love it.
    My teenage son is truly a music/computer guru, and he wouldn't trade his
    iPod for anything. However, he would NOT recommend the mini iPod. Get
    the 4th generation iPod, and your daughter will LOVE it !!

    In dozens of reviews, the iPod has almost always been rated the highest. The
    one single criticism has been that the battery life is shorter than many
    players, but that problem has been greatly fixes in the 4th generation.

    No criticism toward the Dell product whatsover, just a positive comment on
    the iPod, based on extensive use.

    Good Luck !!

    --James--

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:27:38 -0400, "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com>
    wrote:

    >I cannot speak about the Dell MP3 player, as I have not used one and have
    >never seen one. A Google search should reveal reviews and user opinions.
    >
    >However, both myself and my teenage son have the iPod, and we both love it.
    >My teenage son is truly a music/computer guru, and he wouldn't trade his
    >iPod for anything. However, he would NOT recommend the mini iPod. Get
    >the 4th generation iPod, and your daughter will LOVE it !!
    >
    >In dozens of reviews, the iPod has almost always been rated the highest. The
    >one single criticism has been that the battery life is shorter than many
    >players, but that problem has been greatly fixes in the 4th generation.
    >
    >No criticism toward the Dell product whatsover, just a positive comment on
    >the iPod, based on extensive use.
    >
    >Good Luck !!
    >

    >--James--

    Missed the original post so I don't know what your question was.
    I have one of the Dell MP3 15GB version and I use it almost nightly
    and have had no problems with it. It is very easy to use and the
    battery life is very good. If you want to know what others are
    saying about the Dell MP3 Player go to:
    http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=dce_djmusic
    Jack Mac

    In article <lu2dnUtcLeDMs6_cRVn-rg@comcast.com>, jnipper@nospam.fdn.com
    (James Nipper) says...

    > In dozens of reviews, the iPod has almost always been rated the highest. The
    > one single criticism has been that the battery life is shorter than many
    > players, but that problem has been greatly fixes in the 4th generation.

    The one real criticism is that the music format is proprietary, and you
    have to buy your music from Apple. Apple is currently suing
    RealNetworks because they provide a hack to get standard MP3 music into
    an iPod.

    --
    http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

    Larry:

    Sorry, but I don't know what is meant by this post, that I have to "buy my
    music from Apple." What does this mean??

    I have nearly 20 gigs of music on my iPod, and I have never ever bought one
    song from Apple. Futhermore, all of this music is MP3 format.

    I don't have any "hack" methods, and have recorded 20 gigs of MP3 music
    on my iPod, none of which came from Apple.

    Can you explain your post please ?? I am sure there must be some point
    (or meaning) in there that I don't understand.

    --James--

    The one real criticism is that the music format is proprietary, and you
    have to buy your music from Apple. Apple is currently suing
    RealNetworks because they provide a hack to get standard MP3 music into
    an iPod.

    In article <ScadnTz6z6suK9ncRVn-pg@comcast.com>, jnipper@nospam.fdn.com
    (James Nipper) says...

    http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/29/technology/apple_real/

    --
    http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

    Thanks for the URL. I read it, and it is not accurate. You can record MP3
    or regular audio wave files to the iPod. In fact, I am sure that you can
    record any type of audio file to the iPod, regardless of where it came from.
    The statement that you can only upload iTunes music to the iPod is totally
    wrong, and would severely limit the marketability of the iPod if in fact it
    WERE true. Once again, this stated limitation to "only" iTunes music
    is not true or accurate.

    --James--

    --------------------------------

    "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message news:TaadnY1KBezjmdvcRVn-ow@comcast.com...

    > Thanks for the URL. I read it, and it is not accurate. You can record MP3
    > or regular audio wave files to the iPod. In fact, I am sure that you can
    > record any type of audio file to the iPod, regardless of where it came from.
    > The statement that you can only upload iTunes music to the iPod is totally
    > wrong, and would severely limit the marketability of the iPod if in fact it
    > WERE true. Once again, this stated limitation to "only" iTunes music
    > is not true or accurate.

    That article did mention that the iPod can play "un-encrypted" music
    files. It can play MP3 and a few other unprotected formats, and as
    you seem to suggest, if there is no easier way, one could always play
    a [DRMed] track and record audio output to an MP3 or whatever
    and have the iPod play that.

    The limitation that is being discussed applies to DRMed tracks (which
    is what legit online music stores sell) rather than non-DRMed tracks.
    The iPod only supports Apple's proprietary "FairPlay" DRM system,
    which AFAIK, they have never licensed to other online music stores.

    Hi

    May I ask is the Dell 20GB JukeBox better than the ARCHOS 20GB JukeBox? With
    what is it better? I m yearning for a jukebox that can hold all the songs I own
    and listen to it when going to school everyday especialy when using public
    transportation.

    thanks
    Sussan F. S.

Dell MP3 Players Compatibility Computers