Dell MP3 Players

Time to get the teenaged daughter an MP3 player, and I see it as a choice
between the Dell and the iPod. Don't know much about formats and the like, but
it sounds like the Dell has more versatility and compatibility. Advice from
those of you with knowledge in this area, PLEASE. Thanks in advance.

On 29 Aug 2004 11:23:33 GMT, RobertS975 wrote:

> Time to get the teenaged daughter an MP3 player, and I see it as a choice
> between the Dell and the iPod. Don't know much about formats and the like, but
> it sounds like the Dell has more versatility and compatibility. Advice from
> those of you with knowledge in this area, PLEASE. Thanks in advance.

My Nomad Zen Xtra 40GB has worked great for almost a year now.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

I cannot speak about the Dell MP3 player, as I have not used one and have
never seen one. A Google search should reveal reviews and user opinions.

However, both myself and my teenage son have the iPod, and we both love it.
My teenage son is truly a music/computer guru, and he wouldn't trade his
iPod for anything. However, he would NOT recommend the mini iPod. Get
the 4th generation iPod, and your daughter will LOVE it !!

In dozens of reviews, the iPod has almost always been rated the highest. The
one single criticism has been that the battery life is shorter than many
players, but that problem has been greatly fixes in the 4th generation.

No criticism toward the Dell product whatsover, just a positive comment on
the iPod, based on extensive use.

Good Luck !!

--James--

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:27:38 -0400, "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com>
wrote:

>I cannot speak about the Dell MP3 player, as I have not used one and have
>never seen one. A Google search should reveal reviews and user opinions.
>
>However, both myself and my teenage son have the iPod, and we both love it.
>My teenage son is truly a music/computer guru, and he wouldn't trade his
>iPod for anything. However, he would NOT recommend the mini iPod. Get
>the 4th generation iPod, and your daughter will LOVE it !!
>
>In dozens of reviews, the iPod has almost always been rated the highest. The
>one single criticism has been that the battery life is shorter than many
>players, but that problem has been greatly fixes in the 4th generation.
>
>No criticism toward the Dell product whatsover, just a positive comment on
>the iPod, based on extensive use.
>
>Good Luck !!
>

>--James--

Missed the original post so I don't know what your question was.
I have one of the Dell MP3 15GB version and I use it almost nightly
and have had no problems with it. It is very easy to use and the
battery life is very good. If you want to know what others are
saying about the Dell MP3 Player go to:
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=dce_djmusic
Jack Mac

In article <lu2dnUtcLeDMs6_cRVn-rg@comcast.com>, jnipper@nospam.fdn.com
(James Nipper) says...

> In dozens of reviews, the iPod has almost always been rated the highest. The
> one single criticism has been that the battery life is shorter than many
> players, but that problem has been greatly fixes in the 4th generation.

The one real criticism is that the music format is proprietary, and you
have to buy your music from Apple. Apple is currently suing
RealNetworks because they provide a hack to get standard MP3 music into
an iPod.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Larry:

Sorry, but I don't know what is meant by this post, that I have to "buy my
music from Apple." What does this mean??

I have nearly 20 gigs of music on my iPod, and I have never ever bought one
song from Apple. Futhermore, all of this music is MP3 format.

I don't have any "hack" methods, and have recorded 20 gigs of MP3 music
on my iPod, none of which came from Apple.

Can you explain your post please ?? I am sure there must be some point
(or meaning) in there that I don't understand.

--James--

The one real criticism is that the music format is proprietary, and you
have to buy your music from Apple. Apple is currently suing
RealNetworks because they provide a hack to get standard MP3 music into
an iPod.

In article <ScadnTz6z6suK9ncRVn-pg@comcast.com>, jnipper@nospam.fdn.com
(James Nipper) says...

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/29/technology/apple_real/

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Thanks for the URL. I read it, and it is not accurate. You can record MP3
or regular audio wave files to the iPod. In fact, I am sure that you can
record any type of audio file to the iPod, regardless of where it came from.
The statement that you can only upload iTunes music to the iPod is totally
wrong, and would severely limit the marketability of the iPod if in fact it
WERE true. Once again, this stated limitation to "only" iTunes music
is not true or accurate.

--James--

--------------------------------

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/29/technology/apple_real/

> The one real criticism is that the music format is proprietary, and you
> have to buy your music from Apple. Apple is currently suing
> RealNetworks because they provide a hack to get standard MP3 music into
> an iPod.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message news:TaadnY1KBezjmdvcRVn-ow@comcast.com...

> Thanks for the URL. I read it, and it is not accurate. You can record MP3
> or regular audio wave files to the iPod. In fact, I am sure that you can
> record any type of audio file to the iPod, regardless of where it came from.
> The statement that you can only upload iTunes music to the iPod is totally
> wrong, and would severely limit the marketability of the iPod if in fact it
> WERE true. Once again, this stated limitation to "only" iTunes music
> is not true or accurate.

That article did mention that the iPod can play "un-encrypted" music
files. It can play MP3 and a few other unprotected formats, and as
you seem to suggest, if there is no easier way, one could always play
a [DRMed] track and record audio output to an MP3 or whatever
and have the iPod play that.

The limitation that is being discussed applies to DRMed tracks (which
is what legit online music stores sell) rather than non-DRMed tracks.
The iPod only supports Apple's proprietary "FairPlay" DRM system,
which AFAIK, they have never licensed to other online music stores.

Hi

May I ask is the Dell 20GB JukeBox better than the ARCHOS 20GB JukeBox? With
what is it better? I m yearning for a jukebox that can hold all the songs I own
and listen to it when going to school everyday especialy when using public
transportation.

thanks
Sussan F. S.