kicking door messages / exercise

Is there any difference between messages when kicking in doors relevant
towards what kind of stat is exercised? While playing monk I run across:

"As you kick the door, it crashes open!"

and

"As you kick the door, it shatters to pieces!"

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> Is there any difference between messages when kicking in doors relevant
> towards what kind of stat is exercised? While playing monk I run across:
>
> "As you kick the door, it crashes open!"
>
> and
>
> "As you kick the door, it shatters to pieces!"

With both messages you will have some exercise in dexterity and strength.
The second message seems to be possible with a 20% probability if your
strength is greater than 18.

There is some difference in what remains at that spot; in the first case
the broken door, in the second case nothing. Though I don't know what the
difference means... When, for example, you magically lock a door, in both
cases a new door will be assembled, either from the pieces of the door or
from the dust on the floor.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> > "As you kick the door, it crashes open!"
> >
> > and
> >
> > "As you kick the door, it shatters to pieces!"
>
> With both messages you will have some exercise in dexterity and strength.
> The second message seems to be possible with a 20% probability if your
> strength is greater than 18.
>
> There is some difference in what remains at that spot; in the first case
> the broken door, in the second case nothing. Though I don't know what the
> difference means... When, for example, you magically lock a door, in both
> cases a new door will be assembled, either from the pieces of the door or
> from the dust on the floor.

AIUI, in the first case you can simply <c>lose the door (and if you have
a key or lock pick, lock it); in the second case, you need magic.

Richard

Richard Bos wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>>
>>>"As you kick the door, it crashes open!"
>>>
>>>and
>>>
>>>"As you kick the door, it shatters to pieces!"
>>
>>With both messages you will have some exercise in dexterity and strength.
>>The second message seems to be possible with a 20% probability if your
>>strength is greater than 18.
>>
>>There is some difference in what remains at that spot; in the first case
>>the broken door, in the second case nothing. Though I don't know what the
>>difference means... When, for example, you magically lock a door, in both
>>cases a new door will be assembled, either from the pieces of the door or
>>from the dust on the floor.
>

> AIUI, in the first case you can simply <c>lose the door (and if you have
> a key or lock pick, lock it); in the second case, you need magic.

But there is _no_ door any more in both cases, either crashed or shattered.
And the (in both cases) reassembled doors also seem to behave identical.

There are five door states defined: D_NODOOR, D_BROKEN, D_ISOPEN, D_CLOSED,
and D_LOCKED. There is no apparent difference (besides different messages)
between D_NODOOR and D_BROKEN.

Some state transitions to D_BROKEN:
D_CLOSED, D_LOCKED --[apply pickaxe ]--> D_BROKEN
D_CLOSED, D_LOCKED --[kick, monster crash]--> D_BROKEN, D_NODOOR

Janis

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There are five door states defined: D_NODOOR, D_BROKEN, D_ISOPEN, D_CLOSED,
> and D_LOCKED. There is no apparent difference (besides different messages)
> between D_NODOOR and D_BROKEN.

Maybe this is so that some graphical ports can show different tiles.

--
Pasi Kallinen
paxed@alt.org

Pasi Kallinen wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>There are five door states defined: D_NODOOR, D_BROKEN, D_ISOPEN, D_CLOSED,
>>and D_LOCKED. There is no apparent difference (besides different messages)
>>between D_NODOOR and D_BROKEN.
>
> Maybe this is so that some graphical ports can show different tiles.

Yes, I guess so. Indeed there was some such difference in the code that I
did not followed further.

Janis