free action vs. owlbear

One of my monks had the good fortune to get a ring of free action. An
owlbear ended up crushing him to death while he was wearing the ring of
free action.
Why wouldn't the ring enable him to escape from such a situation?

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> One of my monks had the good fortune to get a ring of free action. An
> owlbear ended up crushing him to death while he was wearing the ring of
> free action.
> Why wouldn't the ring enable him to escape from such a situation?

It doesn't prevent grabbing attacks (including ; attacks); free action
doen sot convey universal free movement. You can't go through walls, for
example, and you still fall in pits or hurt your leg.

Andy Johnson <swervy.aTAKE@this-out.gmail.com> wrote in news:gdcme.4694
$Gp.2110@fed1read04:

> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>> One of my monks had the good fortune to get a ring of free action. An
>> owlbear ended up crushing him to death while he was wearing the ring of
>> free action.
>> Why wouldn't the ring enable him to escape from such a situation?
>
> It doesn't prevent grabbing attacks (including ; attacks); free action
> doen sot convey universal free movement. You can't go through walls, for
> example, and you still fall in pits or hurt your leg.

I thought it could act as an oilskin cloak.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> Andy Johnson <swervy.aTAKE@this-out.gmail.com> wrote in news:gdcme.4694
> $Gp.2110@fed1read04:
>>Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>>
>>>One of my monks had the good fortune to get a ring of free action. An
>>>owlbear ended up crushing him to death while he was wearing the ring of
>>>free action.
>>>Why wouldn't the ring enable him to escape from such a situation?

Having free ation is simply different to being slippery.

>>It doesn't prevent grabbing attacks (including ; attacks); free action
>>doen sot convey universal free movement. You can't go through walls, for
>>example, and you still fall in pits or hurt your leg.
>
> I thought it could act as an oilskin cloak.

An oilskin cloak won't save you from paralysis or sleeping or stun-attacks.

Janis